If we have any business left in us, will it be deadline day stuff or straight after CL qualification

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I agree what he said makes sense, but I cannot see us going into next season without at least one more addition and there very few players that fill the bill and profile of who we are looking for. Reus isn't for sale, Bale doesn't want OT, then who?
That's my thinking too..very good player, but also one who would LOVE to be here...come on woody..we cant have a net spend of just 8 mil..do something

ravi2

I would love it if we go for him. Reus, Griezmann or Müller would be dream signings for this position imo but only Griezmann is available for a halfway acceptable fee due to his buy-out clause. As much as I love Januzaj but he still seems to be too far off to be being a real starter for us, he just can't produce performances on a high enough level for us atm.

That is the thing, by the process of elimination, who else can be left that we are looking at? (who is available and is willing to come to OT?)
I cannot think of a single other name than Griezmann at this point.

(Felipe Anderson would be a good shout, but he does not fit the profile of what LVG/Woodie are looking for IMO)

Sparky Rhiwabon

That is the thing, by the process of elimination, who else can be left that we are looking at? (who is available and is willing to come to OT?)
I cannot think of a single other name than Griezmann at this point.

(Felipe Anderson would be a good shout, but he does not fit the profile of what LVG/Woodie are looking for IMO)
We are one of the very biggest clubs in the world - we should be able to sign pretty much who we want. I doubt Real Madrid restrict their shopping to openly available players.

ravi2

We are one of the very biggest clubs in the world - we should be able to sign pretty much who we want. I doubt Real Madrid restrict their shopping to openly available players.

That sounds good but realistically it isnt the case, Barca and Real seem to be able to sign who they want, when they want. We have to do a bit more work to get our signings in. Griezmann isnt known to be on the market but he has a release clause we can match plus he is a long standing MUFC fan.

Besides, havent we already bid big on Muller and Bale and failed?

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
That sounds good but realistically it isnt the case, Barca and Real seem to be able to sign who they want, when they want. We have to do a bit more work to get our signings in. Griezmann isnt known to be on the market but he has a release clause we can match plus he is a long standing MUFC fan.

Besides, havent we already bid big on Muller and Bale and failed?
Barca and Real have more of an attraction to them because of location. That's something that we will never be able to compete with. And it is why a lot of South Americans go to Spain to play. We offer great history and of course great money but in a choice between them and us it'll generally be them.

As for Griezemann, it would be a great signing and with a buy out clause it's possible but I just don't see it.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
With the Neymar rumours and Bale to Utd being resurrected by journos again today, I have my doubts we'll see anyone else coming in this summer.

Does Bale have a child starting school this year? If he looks like his dad he could get bullied and we'll get him in Jan :)

Until then I think we'll be seeing the Roonaini combination, and the caf will implode the first time we lose a game.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
All very quiet on the rumour mill, we haven't been linked to a player in days now. Maybe the media has run out of names.

I think there will be one attempt at a star player, Adidas need a signing and we need another winger for the right.

entropy

With the Neymar rumours and Bale to Utd being resurrected by journos again today, I have my doubts we'll see anyone else coming in this summer.

Does Bale have a child starting school this year? If he looks like his dad he could get bullied and we'll get him in Jan :)

Until then I think we'll be seeing the Roonaini combination, and the caf will implode the first time we lose a game.
:lol:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
All very quiet on the rumour mill, we haven't been linked to a player in days now. Maybe the media has run out of names.

I think there will be one attempt at a star player, Adidas need a signing and we need another winger for the right.
We will make a stupid and pointless bid for Bale which will be turned down within minutes and that is all. We have bought well this Summer anyway.

Journos have little clue but it could not be kept this quiet. All our signings so far had at least been linked with us before coming here.

SammyUnited_83

At the moment, I just can't see anything happening. BH weekend and deadline Tuesday 6pm...

Hope I am wrong, maybe LvG will give some hints tomorrow.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
We will make a stupid and pointless bid for Bale which will be turned down within minutes and that is all. We have bought well this Summer anyway.

Journos have little clue but it could not be kept this quiet. All our signings so far had at least been linked with us before coming here.
Yea agree our signings have been fantastic this season. All quality additions in positions we needed, also shifting on a lot of big earners was another good bout of business.

Think we will bid for Muller and Bale and hope we get one but we will get rejected for both. Wouldn't mind getting Mario Gotze in he can play in a few different positions were we might lack

Sparky Rhiwabon

Yea agree our signings have been fantastic this season. All quality additions in positions we needed, also shifting on a lot of big earners was another good bout of business.

Think we will bid for Muller and Bale and hope we get one but we will get rejected for both. Wouldn't mind getting Mario Gotze in he can play in a few different positions were we might lack
We still need at least one attacking player. LVG has publicly said that we lack pace / creativity. To then not go all out for Pedro and yet not get anyone at least as good would be a cock up and mean another transitional year.

Sir A1ex

I think the shop is shut. There's no sign of anything other than the usual daft tabloid names, and LVG sounds more and more convincing in his claims that he's happy with what we've got. Last night won't have changed his mind.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

So you think we will bale him out in January?

devilish

We haven't replaced ADM and RVP + DDG will be playing with us against his will. I feel that the squad is pretty much at the same level of last year

Mali_Zeus

New RB, practically new LB cause Shaw was injured a lot, defense working with new and totally improved midfield like an unit, new exciting left winger, yeah it's the same squad, the same level..

Also if DDG has Euros coming so even if he'll have to play against his will he will have to put 100 percent out there.

NoLogo

We haven't replaced ADM and RVP + DDG will be playing with us against his will. I feel that the squad is pretty much at the same level of last year
Nah midfield with Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger has more quality and depth. Attack has lost a bit of depth but not in Quality, Memphis is a good addition to the squad maybe not on the level that Di Maria could have offered but since he rarely ever did show his quality for us it doesn't really matter and Memphis will certainly not be a down grade over last seasons Di Maria. Romero looks like a solid option, while not DDG he can do a good job for us and won't be a major weakness of the squad or anything like that. With Darmian we have improved the right FB slot over Valencia, wasn't that hard but still I feel with Darmian we got a quality right FB.

While the rebuild certainly isn't over yet we have absolutely improved over last seasons squad. We still lack another top CB next to Smalling, who preferably is also great at passing the ball with his left foot and we need a 2 attacking players that are either top players in their position or on the verge of getting there.

Browniee

this is exactly what will happen. And it will be the very people who has said our squad is good enough. I've said many times, we are a couple of injuries away from another crisis.

devilish

Nah midfield with Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger has more quality and depth. Attack has lost a bit of depth but not in Quality, Memphis is a good addition to the squad maybe not on the level that Di Maria could have offered but since he rarely ever did show his quality for us it doesn't really matter and Memphis will certainly not be a down grade over last seasons Di Maria. Romero looks like a solid option, while not DDG he can do a good job for us and won't be a major weakness of the squad or anything like that. With Darmian we have improved the right FB slot over Valencia, wasn't that hard but still I feel with Darmian we got a quality right FB.

While the rebuild certainly isn't over yet we have absolutely improved over last seasons squad. We still lack another top CB next to Smalling, who preferably is also great at passing the ball with his left foot and we need a 2 attacking players that are either top players in their position or on the verge of getting there.
We strengthened Defense and CM but we've weakened the flanks and the forward line. DDG was our best player for 2 years in a row. He may remain at OT but his attitude and commitment will change for us. RVP always scored goals for us. He is far better than Chicamiss and he'll probably be more effective than the white pele in that role. ADM was our main assist man last year, which is significant considering the team struggle to create chances.

If we remain with the same team than I think we're pretty much at the same level of last year. I'd be happy with the 4th place

Akshay

Staff
We strengthened Defense and CM but we've weakened the flanks and the forward line. DDG was our best player for 2 years in a row. He may remain at OT but his attitude and commitment will change for us. RVP always scored goals for us. He is far better than Chicamiss and he'll probably be more effective than the white pele in that role. ADM was our main assist man last year, which is significant considering the team struggle to create chances.

If we remain with the same team than I think we're pretty much at the same level of last year. I'd be happy with the 4th place
How have we weakened the flanks? Di Maria might have led on assists but a number of those were miscued shots / poor passes that turned into goals through Rooney / Mata's excellent control. He was being kept out of the team by Young, and rightly so. The same Young that is now being kept out by Memphis.

The forward line is somewhat diminished but we also no longer to have to give minutes to Falcao, who kept holding us back. The strengthened midfield and defence means we need fewer goals to win games than last year as well. We won't experience any MK Dons and Leicester type games this season, I'm certain.

DiceRoller

Would love to see a couple but can't realistically see a player that is good enough to strengthen us that we can sign this close to the window close. I know we can hit the Griezmann clause but he's not the Galactico the lads seem to want at the club.
Won't get Bale or Muller. Would like Reus but he seems content at BVB.

I think it's a shut shop really bar a Mane or a Berahino coming in. More likely to see some going out.

Lewis.no.9

Memphis will easily replace Di Maria's assists in this team and probably score more goals to over the course of the season. So thats not an issue. De Gea still going is a worry but Ive got to say Romero looks surprisingly solid given how everyone claimed him to be Emile Heskey in goal. Once he gets his ball control improved and his distribution/positioning I think he will be very good. And he is at the right place to improve his game and take the step up in quality.

Midfield is massively improved. A 3 of Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger and Herrera with Carrick rotating in, is amazingly strong. There is no way we are weaker than last year and the squad is 100% more balanced this year imo. No shoe horning players mostly out of position etc.

Lewis.no.9

Would love to see a couple but can't realistically see a player that is good enough to strengthen us that we can sign this close to the window close. I know we can hit the Griezmann clause but he's not the Galactico the lads seem to want at the club.
Won't get Bale or Muller. Would like Reus but he seems content at BVB.

I think it's a shut shop really bar a Mane or a Berahino coming in. More likely to see some going out.
If we buy either Mane or Berahino.....then thats a woefully poor end to the window. Plus screams "We couldnt land the stars we wanted so had to settle for these" even if that isnt the case, which is bad press for the club and a horrible start for those players coming in.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Memphis will easily replace Di Maria's assists in this team and probably score more goals to over the course of the season. So thats not an issue. De Gea still going is a worry but Ive got to say Romero looks surprisingly solid given how everyone claimed him to be Emile Heskey in goal. Once he gets his ball control improved and his distribution/positioning I think he will be very good. And he is at the right place to improve his game and take the step up in quality.

Midfield is massively improved. A 3 of Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger and Herrera with Carrick rotating in, is amazingly strong. There is no way we are weaker than last year and the squad is 100% more balanced this year imo. No shoe horning players mostly out of position etc.
TBF he's not exactly had a lot to do yet and that's due largely to having Morgan Schneiderlin playing in front of the defence. The same reason why Daley Blind has not been exposed either. Although that's not to say that both haven't done all that can be expected of them thus far.

vidic blood & sand

I don't think there will be any significant signings now. A few of our players will probably go out on loan, and we might nick a couple of young prospects.
Obviously the big situation is David De Gea, and whether or not we can do a deal for Bale, which looks totally dead in the water now in this window. Real seem to still be pinning their hopes on him recovering his form.
Personally I'd throw a cheeky bid in for Walcott. He's just signed a new contract, but he's gotta be miffed at not playing. He'd give us a lot of speed and some goals.

Lewis.no.9

TBF he's not exactly had a lot to do yet and that's due largely to having Morgan Schneiderlin playing in front of the defence. The same reason why Daley Blind has not been exposed either. Although that's not to say that both haven't done all that can be expected of them thus far.
no but apart from that Carrick OG which I think alot of GKs would of been beaten by, he has got good shot stopping, very solid handling and his calmness in that 1 on 1 against Brugge with the double save at the guys feet was pretty great. I agree there are harder tests to come, but like you say. Blind and him have done very well given the circumstances.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Personally I'd throw a cheeky bid in for Walcott. He's just signed a new contract, but he's gotta be miffed at not playing. He'd give us a lot of speed and some goals.
I was thinking this the other day. Might be worth going in for him, as you say, he doesn't play much, at all.

I'd be very surprised if we weren't in for someone. Our attack has very little depth, an injury or two and we may be fecked.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Looking at all the moaning about the lack of activity I actually think it would have been better if van Gaal and Woodward had left one signing until deadline day. If we signed Schneiderlin or Depay on the final day as opposed to early into the window people would be excited and would consider this window as very good.

Varun

Staff
There was a thread weeks ago about the number of signings till the end of the window. Said Zero then, that's how I think it will be.

DiceRoller

If we buy either Mane or Berahino.....then thats a woefully poor end to the window. Plus screams "We couldnt land the stars we wanted so had to settle for these" even if that isnt the case, which is bad press for the club and a horrible start for those players coming in.
Agreed if we get them, not the players I'd be looking for.

In my post I did say "a Mane or a Berahino coming in" meaning not specifically them but players of the caliber are the only ones I can see coming in unless there's something huge up a sleeve somewhere.

But I just don't see the big signing at the moment. :(

Shiva87

Wow. We got our "stars" early in the window - BFS & Memphis. It has been a great window. All this talk of us needed 1 big money signing is getting to me. Why do we need to? A Mane or a Berrahino would add strength to the squad and would be a perfect long term buys.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Well as we are now in Friday afternoon I assume most players will be starting to meet up with their team to travel to matches on Saturday... we of course have a game on Sunday so I suppose it looks like being Monday or nothing.

has there been any live wheres ed page launched yet to keep tabs on him?

presumably he is going to be busy though with the keepers to sell, potentially some young players to loan out and of course manage to conduct some super secret deal for a superstar?

Hummm I'm beginning to suspect we might buy nobody...

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Same :(

Usually when there's a big signing there's always some rumours or murmurings flying around but we've seen/heard feck all at the moment.
Yes - we have either all of a sudden got very good at keeping deals secret or we don't have anything lined up... i know which I feel is more likely

Northstand

I only just realised how low our net spend was this summer. 9th place in the league. Behind the likes of Leicester, West Brom, Palace and Watford. Less than a third of Citeh's. Surely we have to sign someone in the next few days.
Yeah, and with Evans and maybe De Gea being sold, we could easily end up with a net profit for the summer. What would the odds on that have been in May?

Shark

@NotShark
I think that there's a storm brewing. Woody will like his big big signing before the window slams shut.

FacerTheRed

If there is going to be another signing(s), it will be on deadline day. Woody likes to do it on deadline day, gets more publicity out of it.