If we sign Alexis, do we still go for Griezmann in the summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antonedwin

no, take ozil for free in summer and take perreira and TFM back , we spend zero and good enough to go.. or get 1 top midfielder since we will lose carrick and probably fellaini
use the money to extend de gea and martial contract instead

Last edited:

TrebleFan99

We don’t have a bottomless pot of money, signing Griezmann would be fantastic, but should we sign Sanchez then that money should be spread over a top quality LB & CM rather than spent on a position we are likely fairly well stocked in.

Trust me I’d like Griezmann at Utd as well as Sanchez, I just don’t think he would be as desperately needed if we have another star attacker arrive this month :)
Agreed I wouldn't want the summer transfer kitty blown on Griezmann, but with Zlatan leaving his wages would probably balance.

We could probably still bring in one top LB or CM. I just believe Griezmann would add a real fear factor to United that's been missing for years now.

suhaylah

I think we need a real right winger although signing ozil for the RW position will be tempting in the summer.
Signing Sanchez means we don't need Griezmann.
And then we'll need 1 CM to replace Carrick. Perreira can take Fellaini's place in the squad.
Ideally, we'll need 2 full backs.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It depends on how the team is performing after signing Sanchez. Is attack is set and they develop proper understanding then I don't think we need one more attacker for big money who prefers playing centrally.

ThatAsianChap

So many people have beaten me to it, but here goes..

This is a big concern isnt it ? Alexis is 29 and has 2 good years at best. The fact that massive sums are being involved in this deal and that we dont have a sugar daddy means that there is a high probability of Greizmann and even Bale ending up at a Chelsea or a City.

If given an option, I would go for the Frenchman who is younger, quicker, can brilliantly link up with Pogba and Lukaku not to mention his goal scoring prowess.

Assuming Zlatan is a goner, we would be left with Rash Martial Lukaku Alexis & Lingard. Do we have more room ?

Marcky411

Griezmann missed the boat.
Fully agree, he had his chance and chose not to come. I expect the Griezmann story to be the same as Ronaldo and others who use United to get the contract they want.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
They'll end up occupying the same areas. No go for me.

wolvored

Griezmann might end up at City. On Newsnow it said Pep wouldnt pay more than the £20 mill for Sanchez, and will go for Griezmann instead. Paper talk I know, but stranger things have happened.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
When this whole Sanchez saga is done, I hope that we stop playing fantasy football and start making our scouts earn their pay cheque. Let's find a midfielder to play with Matic and Pogba who can make his name at United...

kthanksbye

I'd rather we sign a player less expensive but a capable right winger, don't exactly know who that could be, but I'd take Mahrez or even a punt on Moura if he comes for cheap.

Sign Ozil on a free.

Let Zlatan Mikhi Fellaini Mata Carrick Darmian Blind and one CB leave to make room for some wages.

Then sign a CM who will allow us to play Pogba in a midfield 3, bring back Pereira.

We will look a lot better without much investment. Shaw gives me hope, but we should be doing better than Valencia on the right.

Eire Red United

I think we will still sign another striker but not Griezmann. Dybala is a good shout, so is Icardi. In the summer the priority will be CM and a LB
Can’t see us signing a LB the way Shaw is playing and with how Young was playing before his suspension as well.

Number1

Of course we do, why rest on our laurels?

We are already way behind City's squad now and they will be improving in the summer and so will all the rest of giants in Europe (PSG/Madrid/Barcelona) etc.

£100m for a player like Griezmann, who could be the face/superstar of the club for the next few years, a player who's capable of winning you the league, you take it.

Sanchez (this month) Griezmann and a CM (summer) and we are sorted.

----------Lukaku
Martial(Rashford) Griezmann Sanchez
---------Pogba---Matic
Shaw----Jones----Bailly-----Valencia
--------------De Gea

--------Lukaku
Griezmann-----Sanchez
--------Pogba
---New CM----Matic
Shaw---Jones---Bailly----Valencia
--------De Gea

mark_a

Yeah, why not? And let that overshadow some solid signings elsewhere as well, under the radar. Shore up in other places, other players may leave/retire. Get loanees back.

Esquire

Of course we do, why rest on our laurels?

We are already way behind City's squad now and they will be improving in the summer and so will all the rest of giants in Europe (PSG/Madrid/Barcelona) etc.

£100m for a player like Griezmann, who could be the face/superstar of the club for the next few years, a player who's capable of winning you the league, you take it.

Sanchez (this month) Griezmann and a CM (summer) and we are sorted.

----------Lukaku
Martial(Rashford) Griezmann Sanchez
---------Pogba---Matic
Shaw----Jones----Bailly-----Valencia
--------------De Gea

--------Lukaku
Griezmann-----Sanchez
--------Pogba
---New CM----Matic
Shaw---Jones---Bailly----Valencia
--------De Gea
Doesn’t look bad but should save that money for a monster CM and RB who will compete with TonyV. That way we can play 4231 or a powerful 433 when needed.

An Irish Red

If we're going to play a 4-2-3-1 then we still need a top attacking midfielder in the summer, even with Sanchez.

I'm not sure Griezmann would be the right fit then though. I think we'd need a creator rather than another goalscorer. Someone like Ozil to share the creative burden with Pogba maybe.

Roeindo

Nope. Better use the money elsewhere. We need CM, RB anf LB.

Michael John Doyle

We're not buying another CB. We have 5 currently not including Tuanzebe and Blind.
Bailly and Lindelof were brought in by Jose himself so you can expect them to be kept, Jones is solid when fit and Smalling & Rojo are average at best. I expect Jose to off load Rojo, Blind, Darmain and prob Smalling over the next 2 windows with quality defenders being brought in. No point in having DDG in goals and average players in front of him. Valencia and Young are also pushing on

Lam

Not required. With TFM also back next year (at RB), I hope upgrading on Fellaini/Herrera will be the primary objective. Ideally, someone who is an upgrade on Herrera's qualities and can also backup for Matic.

If Mourinho is still not convinced about Shaw, we'll buy a quality LB too.

Edit: Probably an upgrade on Mata as well?

cyril C

Mourinho has said it during interview, if we get Sanchez there is no plan for another striker next summer. Believe this is the only way that he can persuade Woodward to go for Sanchez.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
If we get Zlatan on another contract then we have no need for Griezmann. A front 3 selection from Lukaku, Martial, Zlatan, Rashford, Sánchez, Mata and Lingard is fecking good and has enough depth.

Member 5225

no, take ozil for free in summer and take perreira and TFM back , we spend zero and good enough to go.. or get 1 top midfielder since we will lose carrick and probably fellaini
use the money to extend de gea and martial contract instead
I like that sound of that.
Maybe get rid of a bit more deadwood and buy with raised cash perhaps.

Member 5225

Griezmann can feck off for all I care now.
He seems like in Vidal, Sneijder and CR7 bracket for me.
I need him to be desperate to join us. He just teases us and I'm not having it.
Over him tbh (obv still think he's world class in case we do end up buying him).

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He seems like in Vidal, Sneijder and CR7 bracket for me.
I need him to be desperate to join us. He just teases us and I'm not having it.
Over him tbh (obv still think he's world class in case we do end up buying him).
For me it's over. I don't like the attention seeking bitch he can be, I am personally tired of seeing his shitty celebration during ads on TV.
We would unbalanced in we sign IMHO, way too much attacking players and it would hurt the playing time of Martial which is a no-no for me.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hell yeah we should. Look at the depth City have in their attack. Sign Griezmann, a CM and a young LB and we are good for next year.
It's not about depth. It's about balance. If you sign Griezemann you have to have your central midfielders sitting deep which would be a waste of Pogba's abilities. And that certainly isn't worth the trouble. We're better off giving Pogba some freedom and focusing on getting the most out of a front three or Lukaku, Sanchez and Martial with Rashford and Lingard as cover.

If anything, if we want strength in depth, we should either be looking for a younger forward who wouldn't demand starting (allowing Pogba to shine and Martial to develop) or a playmaker to share the burden with Pogba.

gr3yham3

If we sign Alexis, I would say no to Griezmann in the summer. We should spend our funds more wisely for other areas in our attack I feel. I worry in getting a long-term replacement for Matic, so a CM who is younger but can be Matic's protege and anchor our midfield for years to come and be Pogba's midfield partner. Not to mention our RB position where Valencia is not getting any younger, though I have to say his fitness have been on superhuman levels so far.

That said, I would not mind Ozil on a free though - I think he is a different type of player to Griezmann and will give us something different when we play against teams who just sit back and defend. Sanchez and Griezmann are more similar in style to me.

Bestietom

We will go for top players whether it's Griezmann or not. We will most likely need 2 top midfielders if Fellaini and Carrick goes. We also need cover for both full back positions. Competition is good as long as you can keep everyone happy. We have some great youngsters coming through if they get their chance.

NoPace

Tough to see Mourinho wanting to play Martial, Griezmann and Sanchez as a 3 behind Lukaku. A different manager, maybe. I do think Griezmann would have been a better signing for the RW/10 spot than Sanchez due to age and being left-footed, but maybe not 50-60M better (considering Griezmann's fee but Sanchez's presumably higher wages).

Swapping Mata for Griezmann as our left-footed creative midfielder would improve us. People here act like Griezmann is Robbie Keane or whatever support striker, but he's got better vision and much better long passing range than a player like.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
So you believe we have to keep on spending north of 200 million each summer on superstar players? What do we do with Lingard, Rashford, Martial, Mata? What about Pereira coming from loan?

What about our wage budget, which if I remember correctly is the biggest in England atm? Adding Sanchez, Ozil/AG/Dybala and a new top CM, that is probably around 800-900k per week, it isn't financially advisable to spend and risk so much money, in my opinion.
This. 100%. We have Rasford, Mata and Martial.

Status
Not open for further replies.