If you could change the outcome, or one specific moment, from a single match what would it be?

Nicolarra90

United: Agüero moment
U de Chile: Mayer Candelo penalty
Chile NT: Pinilla crossbar Brasil 2014

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
What happened 1999 was just so grotesquely unimaginable to me. It left me more confused than angry. 2012 hurt quite differently.
My vote is on 2012 by a country mile. The following year made up for a lot of the damage but that moment was filled with pure apathy for me.
Interesting how Bayern has multiple "exact moment in an exact game" situations that would turn into a CL win, whereas others are like "If we just won the entire semi final leg, we might have had a chance in the final".
1999 going to the final we were slight underdogs
2012 going to the final we were heavy favorites

Both games we missed tons of chances 1999 we hit the post twice
2012 Robben missed a penalty. After that penalty miss I knew we weren't going to win

In the aftermath of both games

Man utd of 1999 became legendary winning the treble, Ferguson got knighted

In 2012, Chelsea an oligarch experiment won their first CL

The losing manager ended up winning Hitzfeld and Juup
Both hurt. Can't say which was worse

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Portsmouth, FA Cup, 2008.

I'd eradicate the club's existence if possible
This is always my first response when this question comes up. We should have had a penalty when Distan(?) fouled Ronaldo. We win that match and we probably would have had another treble.

RedDevilRoshi

Michael Carrick’s sitter against Portsmouth in the 08 FA Cup tie. That match still haunts me as it denied us the treble that season! :(

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
United bury at least one goal from a handful of golden chances early on against Barca in 2009 which propels them to the win late on.

Sanneh's header against Germany goes in, the US manage to win in ET or PKs, proceed to knock out South Korea in the semis but fall to Brazil in the Final.

Edit: Frings rightly sent off for goal denying handball, US convert penalty and later score the winning goal against ten-man Germany.

Last edited:

Alive and Kicking

Michael Carrick’s sitter against Portsmouth in the 08 FA Cup tie. That match still haunts me as it denied us the treble that season! :(
Cannot be certain. The 'lost' Treble gets mentioned a lot, but if history is altered to allow Man United to win that match and possibly the FA Cup, the timeline might also see Drogba or John Terry shoot six inches further left of the right post in the CL final. Or a critical injury to an important player at the hands of a frustrated West Brom/Cardiff challenge. Personally I'm happy enough with how that season panned out in reality. At least the Portsmouth game is iconic in how fecking FIFA-like it was!