India politics thread

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
All of these are just pre-planned. The just got exposed. Sample below. If you don't see this as a threat to national sovereignty, I dont know what else would qualify.

Let's just assume that they were pre planned, and somehow, China/Congress/whoever the trending villain is paid off Rihanna , Mia Khalifa, Greta Thunberg and Meena Harris among countless others.

Let's talk about what they are saying, shall we? Rihanna and Greta Thunberg have posted a CNN article from 1st Feb around what is happening, the other two have just provided their PoV on this. None of these guys have commented on how the bill was passed or whether it should be taken back or whatever. All they've commented on is the fact that these farmers are getting beaten up, have had the right to protest taken away, are being labelled Ani-National, journos getting arrested - basically human rights violations.

Is calling any of that threat to sovereignty? Indians love commenting on humans rights violations in other countries, after all we are reminded of Pakistan's (or Middle East's) human rights record every time we speak anything against the government. Isn't that a threat to their sovereignty. Or commenting on Capitol Hill? Or CAA which literally implies the Human rights violations in neighbouring countries?

Even the people in India, they are criticizing the government - the way they've handled this situation and how they've tried this divide and rule BS once again. And pre-2014, criticizing the government did not mean criticizing the country or the people or anything of that sort.

Suv666

Behave , all he said was to protect the sovereignty of the country. People just get agitated for no reason.
Sovereignty of the nation?
What are you on about?
Did everyone tweeting Black Lives Matter somehow erode the sovereignty of the US?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Did it just take one tweet by Rihanna to rattle them? Quite sad state of affairs.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Did it just take one tweet by Rihanna to rattle them? Quite sad state of affairs.
Repubic ran a headline - "Cogress ki kisaan neta Rihanna" :lol:

What's even stupider is how all the cricketers in unison followed Amit Shah's rhetoric that "We must united and stand together and solve our own problems, foreigners can't dictate etc" whether it be Kohli, Kumble, Shastri, Sharma or even Sachin (sobs). The level of meddling by the GOI is incredible.

kps88

Very grateful Dravid isn’t on Twitter so he can’t disappoint me.

Viral United

What do you think is the motivation for Rihanna or Greta Thunberg to tweet about farmer protest?

Do you genuinely believe they think that Modi will make India a superpower and they have taken it upon themselves to put an end to it?

Who's influence are they under? Congress led by Rahul the Pappu? Or does Rihanna want a Khalistan of her own?

There are human rights violations that are happening regardless of the intent of the protestors and that is what these people are flagging. The same happened last year during Shaheen Bagh and Delhi riots but they didn't have the strength in numbers the farmers have and hence never got the traction.

It isn't a coincidence that the protestors before 2014, including some of the current cabinet ministers, were able to have a (sort of) peaceful protest without being labelled as foreign sponsored.
What human rights violation going on in farmer protest?

Nickelodeon

What human rights violation going on in farmer protest?
Power and Water supply being cut. https://www.newslaundry.com/2021/01...cut-but-farmers-at-tikri-arent-going-anywhere

BJP goons disguised as locals attacking farmers. https://www.newslaundry.com/2021/02...eople-complain-more-about-police-than-farmers

Internet shutdowns (Considered as human rights violations by the UN) https://mg.co.za/article/2019-02-01-00-internet-shutdowns-violate-human-rights/

Media banned from entering the protest site https://www.newslaundry.com/2021/02...ter-police-bar-entry-to-journalists-at-singhu

Trains being randomly rerouted so protestors can't reach the site. https://www.thehindu.com/news/natio...ers-denied-reaching-delhi/article33717453.ece

Although not physical, but the mental agony of a farmer being labelled as a Terrorist or Khalistani. I would consider being called a terrorist by BJP mouthpiece media and 'celebs' like Kangana to be pretty violating.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Power and Water supply being cut. https://www.newslaundry.com/2021/01...cut-but-farmers-at-tikri-arent-going-anywhere

BJP goons disguised as locals attacking farmers. https://www.newslaundry.com/2021/02...eople-complain-more-about-police-than-farmers

Internet shutdowns (Considered as human rights violations by the UN) https://mg.co.za/article/2019-02-01-00-internet-shutdowns-violate-human-rights/

Media banned from entering the protest site https://www.newslaundry.com/2021/02...ter-police-bar-entry-to-journalists-at-singhu

Trains being randomly rerouted so protestors can't reach the site. https://www.thehindu.com/news/natio...ers-denied-reaching-delhi/article33717453.ece

Although not physical, but the mental agony of a farmer being labelled as a Terrorist or Khalistani. I would consider being called a terrorist by BJP mouthpiece media and 'celebs' like Kangana to be pretty violating.
You forgot the water cannons and tear gas. File that under the physical agony header. Add the chained barricades and nails which have been set up on the border, including digging the trenches too, while we are at it.

Modi govt has achieved the perfect trifecta of victim mentality: destroy public property, commit human rights' violations and then behave like a snowflake over a tweet.

Nickelodeon

You forgot the water cannons and tear gas. File that under the physical agony header. Add the chained barricades and nails which have been set up on the border, including digging the trenches too, while we are at it.

Modi govt has achieved the perfect trifecta of victim mentality: destroy public property, commit human rights' violations and then behave like a snowflake over a tweet.
An unbiased media can overthrow this govt in a day. I genuinely believe that the Karan Thapar interview for Modi has now become one of the key days in Indian democracy. That is probably the day Modi decided that to force his agenda, the first step is controlling the media. I still can't believe that at that time, not only did Modi agreed to face an interview but that too in English.

Viral United

Well if you going to quote 'Newslandry' and 'The Hindu' then nothing I can say to you will affect your judgment.
And for bolded part, if you going to use banner and photos of peoples which India call Khalistani and terrorist, then you will call out for that. Why you give government that chance?
Before you call me let me tell you, I have seen that banner and photo my own eyes from my last visit to Delhi.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
May I ask what's so funny? You don't think Union leaders are using it for political gains? You don't see why farmers in two states are up in arms while rest of India is not bothered?

I have always maintained they should be listened to but even after the proposal to delay it by 18 months, union leaders didn't budge. This after getting Stubble burning exemption and repeal of electricity ammendment act. I mentioned Tikait because he was on camera daring Delhi to stop him before 26th Jan and then fiasco happened. Now threat is of 40lac tractor all over India. In between he did the classical crying act. Infact his own brother had called off protest just before his drama. Naresh Tikait is his brother name I beleive.

I mentioned livelihood because I know someone who can't acquire raw material at the cost which would make sense and Delhi buyers are out of question at the moment. This after last year of bloodbath in which he almost committed suicide due to pressure from lenders. I am sure there are other countless people suffering the same fate. It would make sense for protest to continue if Government didn't offer anything to these union leaders. But we both know that isn't true. The situation could easily be avoided.

I have always maintained that farmers have a right to protest. But at this moment, every single one of their demand has been accepted. These laws would benefit farmers is my opinion for which I have quoted people who know far more than I do but still if by delaying by 18 months, if it would mean farmers get the assurance,then so be it.

Rest of the things is just pure noise. Why should I worry what a pop singer in America is saying? It's quite childish that MEA decided to respond. Also farmers are not Khalistani but due to union leaders inaction and Government fault, they were able to wreak chaos. That's not farmer's fault. But as far as sympathy is concerned, my sympathy is with farmers, not with their political masters.

Also for people rejoicing and asking for foreign powers to interfere, US and Canada regularly blast us in WTO for providing concessions to farmers. They don't want India to provide MSP benefit, exactly what the farmers are fighting for.
I agree with some of the things here but I'd just like to point out that BJP has been quite brazen in passing this law.

In an agarian country like us, they should have had proper parliamentary discussions before passing the law and should have held talks with various farmer committee.

What they instead did is held no discussions, when farmer protest started, they didn't had any conversations with the farmers and left them to protest on roads whilst constantly calling them Khalistani by proxy.

This has been a masterclass in handling things badly.

Nickelodeon

Well if you going to quote 'Newslandry' and 'The Hindu' then nothing I can say to you will affect your judgment.
If I may ask, which is the authentic media outlet I should be referring to then?

Anyway, all things I've listed are not an opinion of a particular media outlet. It is out there even on mouthpieces like the Times Group.

What is the issue you have with Newslaundry and The Hindu by the way? Too anti-national for you? Or are you part of the group that believes because since BJP has Republic, Times Now, Zee etc so by design all others are with the opposition? Or do you believe that Arnab Goswami is the torch bearer of our media?

And for bolded part, if you going to use banner and photos of peoples which India call Khalistani and terrorist, then you will call out for that. Why you give government that chance?
Even if there is a specific banner, does that mean that the entire protest which has got nothing do with these banners is supposed to become meaningless and all of them are supposed to be treated like terrorists. The Hindutva groups has committed a lot of atrocities in the name of cows and religion. Does that mean that all Hindus are the same considering all farmers (even the ones from UP) are Khalistanis? Should our govt just be waiting for a chance to malign anyone and everyone who speaks against them?

Bro (Sis?), I don't know whether you're playing the Devil's advocate or you're genuinely supporting the bullshite being served to us by our govt and media. Either way, what do you suggest is the way out of this stalemate?

coolredwine

lameredboots
Before you call me let me tell you, I have seen that banner and photo my own eyes from my last visit to Delhi.
Which banner?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Governments don't like to find itself faced with demonstrations against its policies and as the events of the last few years show, there are plenty of disillusioned citizens right now in India. Campaigns are often denounced as violent and described as absurd, and then if they persist, they are described as anti-nationals, or at worst terrorists.

Gandhi Ji and Mandela to name just a few are now regarded as heroes for the sacrifices they made for the betterment of society. This all goes to prove the importance of demonstrations and popular campaigns. We must support all peaceful demonstrations and they must be seen as an integral part of political action in any democracy. Without these demonstrations, injustices will continue unchallenged and people will lose confidence in the democratic process by which such wrongs are changed.

Any challenges by citizens be they from foreign sources or home should be embraced or defended with civility and should not be judged as an attack on the sovereignty of the country.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
So, two media houses that don't rely on adverts from government are unreliable, however, the mainstream channels are reliable?

And if you really believe in foreign conspiracy BS, you really need to give all this a real hard think-through.

coolredwine

lameredboots
This is some Soviet Union shit
Look at the Delhi Pogrom FIRs. First FIR is filed against unnamed people, then people are arrested as 'accused' under UAPA, who cares about the case/courts now. Similar thing was followed in UP when the journalist was arrested under UAPA.

Last edited:

Viral United

So, two media houses that don't rely on adverts from government are unreliable, however, the mainstream channels are reliable?

And if you really believe in foreign conspiracy BS, you really need to give all this a real hard think-through.
I never said believe any media outlet, We all know they are bias. Both channel had shown past bias before and that's why I say they are bias.
If you want to have unbias news or understanding about topic find source who are not in news business. I have it and you can find it too.
I don't know there is any foreign conspiracy or not in farmer protest, but if you think there are never foreign conspiracy in Indian history then you are bigger fool then those media outlets.

Suv666

Look at the Delhi Pogrom FIRs. First FIR is filed against unnamed people, then people are arrested as 'accused' under UAPA, who cares about the case/courts now. Similar thing was followed in UP when the journalist was arrested under UAPA.
Tukde Tukde gang are the new kulaks

Suv666

I never said believe any media outlet, We all know they are bias. Both channel had shown past bias before and that's why I say they are bias.
If you want to have unbias news or understanding about topic find source who are not in news business. I have it and you can find it too.
I don't know there is any foreign conspiracy or not in farmer protest, but if you think there are never foreign conspiracy in Indian history then you are bigger fool then those media outlets.
There is a difference between being biased and propaganda. Yes News Laundary might contain opinion you might not agree with but they'll never package those as facts nor will they ever post fake news.

TV news channel are straight up propaganda literally every Primetime show is about how Modi is our lord and saviour.
You're either extremely naive or biased yourself there is absolutely no comparison between Republic and News Laundary.

Viral United

If I may ask, which is the authentic media outlet I should be referring to then?

Anyway, all things I've listed are not an opinion of a particular media outlet. It is out there even on mouthpieces like the Times Group.

What is the issue you have with Newslaundry and The Hindu by the way? Too anti-national for you? Or are you part of the group that believes because since BJP has Republic, Times Now, Zee etc so by design all others are with the opposition? Or do you believe that Arnab Goswami is the torch bearer of our media?
None, do I need to say more? there is no unbias media outlet in India we all know that.
If you want to have deep understanding of topic please find some source which are not in news business, they might gives you unbias observation.

Even if there is a specific banner, does that mean that the entire protest which has got nothing do with these banners is supposed to become meaningless and all of them are supposed to be treated like terrorists. The Hindutva groups has committed a lot of atrocities in the name of cows and religion. Does that mean that all Hindus are the same considering all farmers (even the ones from UP) are Khalistanis? Should our govt just be waiting for a chance to malign anyone and everyone who speaks against them?

Bro (Sis?), I don't know whether you're playing the Devil's advocate or you're genuinely supporting the bullshite being served to us by our govt and media. Either way, what do you suggest is the way out of this stalemate?
First of all I am not government advocate, but what is fact is fact, there where banner so government call them Terrorist and Khalistanis. What you expect? government was on backfoot they will going to say that.
Now that Hunditva thing is interesting, didn't police arrest those persons who put that atrocities in name or cow and religion? If government has done that to farmer imaging what would had happen.
I don't know what you have with government but I suggest try to have some fact check.
Isn't it true they come with some 10-20 points demand when these protest started?
Isn't it In the end government agree half of those demand and suddenly they demanded to revert back all the laws?
Isn't it government also agree to postpone these laws for 18 months?

Now I am not saying new laws are great and everything is correct in that laws, I also believe MSP should be given to all, and more protection should be given to farmer.
But its not like farmer were richer in pervious laws and by applying this new laws they are suddenly becoming poor.

Viral United

There is a difference between being biased and propaganda. Yes News Laundary might contain opinion you might not agree with but they'll never package those as facts nor will they ever post fake news.

TV news channel are straight up propaganda literally every Primetime show is about how Modi is our lord and saviour.
You're either extremely naive or biased yourself there is absolutely no comparison between Republic and News Laundary.
There is not comparison between Republic and any thing, they are extreme bias.
but point is News Laundary is not reliable source either. as Republic they will only show one side of story, so better not judge anything from they outlet.

coolredwine

lameredboots
None, do I need to say more? there is no unbias media outlet in India we all know that.
If you want to have deep understanding of topic please find some source which are not in news business, they might gives you unbias observation.

First of all I am not government advocate, but what is fact is fact, there where banner so government call them Terrorist and Khalistanis. What you expect? government was on backfoot they will going to say that.
Now that Hunditva thing is interesting, didn't police arrest those persons who put that atrocities in name or cow and religion? If government has done that to farmer imaging what would had happen.
I don't know what you have with government but I suggest try to have some fact check.
Isn't it true they come with some 10-20 points demand when these protest started?
Isn't it In the end government agree half of those demand and suddenly they demanded to revert back all the laws?
Isn't it government also agree to postpone these laws for 18 months?

Now I am not saying new laws are great and everything is correct in that laws, I also believe MSP should be given to all, and more protection should be given to farmer.
But its not like farmer were richer in pervious laws and by applying this new laws they are suddenly becoming poor.
None of that is true unless you have been sitting under a rock past 6 months.