India politics thread

Suv666

Islamophobia is definitely there, but it is nowhere near the biggest problem in this country. The lack of empathy towards other humans is the biggest flaw in our populace. The video that @RedDevil@84 pasted above is the exact scenario I can sense happening in any part of the country where people would not think twice to do what is good for them irrespective of the cost that anyone else has to suffer. I think it comes from the overpopulation - we have so many people competing for so few resources that it leaves people with no other choice.
That maybe true for the history of independent India but in context of the current BJP government its purely Islamophobia. Ram Mandir, CAA/NRC, Love Jihad, Land Jihad.
This government would collapse instantly if it wasn't for the rabid Muslim hate the populace foster. Do you think any regime could have emerged unscathed after blunders like demo and gst? But Modi did because majority want a theocracy.

Suv666

Islamophobia is definitely there, but it is nowhere near the biggest problem in this country. The lack of empathy towards other humans is the biggest flaw in our populace. The video that @RedDevil@84 pasted above is the exact scenario I can sense happening in any part of the country where people would not think twice to do what is good for them irrespective of the cost that anyone else has to suffer. I think it comes from the overpopulation - we have so many people competing for so few resources that it leaves people with no other choice.
And yeah I mean I've read a few articles about this. Countries with a high population tend to be less empathetic towards their fellow countrymen and more attached to symbols and ideas. Someone wearing a dress with an Indian flag which sometimes touches the floor would generate an enormous amount of outrage but people dying on the streets meh who cares.

RedDevil@84

Yes, while in theory it should be easier to brainwash the uneducated or less educated section of the population, what's happened in India is somewhat like the US and Trump, wherein the media is used as a tool to bring out the bigoted and trashy aspects of a society in a move to grab power by taking a stranglehold of the majority. The difference being that we have a much more popular leader, have a complete vacuum in the opposition, and hence the institutions rather than keeping the government/leader in check as was mostly the case in the US, is being used to further increase their power, oppressive tendancies and religious populism.
It also helps that US has some basic principles that have been incorporated in the constitution, which are held on to dearly by the people and as well as the media. In India, it is a free for all. There are fewer laws and the laws have not been followed for ages anyways.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Not directly related to covid, but I saw a discussion here a few days ago, on education and wealth and urbanisation and how that related to Modi/Hindutva.

I have 2014 data:

BJP: 40% in urban India, 30% in rural/semi-urban

(From Rajasthan)
BJP: 62% among graduates, 52% among non-literates; 63% among rich, 50% among poor.

There was a page also showing that BJP voteshare increases with reading/watching more news - BJP-Congress lead goes from 10 to 26 for zero vs regular use of social media, 4 to 20 for zero vs regular newspaper reading, and 3 to 15 for regular TV news watching. Screenshot of that page didn't come out well.

Bestie07

A distant relative on my mother's side was prescribed Remdesivir injections, which of course are not available anywhere. After frantically searching for them in several places, they were able to secure two doses for about forty thousand rupees. When they went to the doctor to be injected with the drug, they were informed that it was a fake.

This is the moral compass of this country. Scamming desperate relatives of dying people. I have lost all hope in my fellow countrymen.

RedDevil@84

A distant relative on my mother's side was prescribed Remdesivir injections, which of course are not available anywhere. After frantically searching for them in several places, they were able to secure two doses for about forty thousand rupees. When they went to the doctor to be injected with the drug, they were informed that it was a fake.

This is the moral compass of this country. Scamming desperate relatives of dying people. I have lost all hope in my fellow countrymen.
I can't get into an auto without constantly needing to keep an eye on the meter (if it exists). I can't fill petrol from the petrol pump, without having an eye on that meter. I get into a bus and the conductor says he will give change when I am getting down. I go into a shop and the shopkeeper offers me chocolates instead of currency. I check the bill after buying grocery, because I am not sure the guy billing has pushed couple of stuff which I have not bought.
People have robbed from dead/injured bodies in train/bus accidents. During Uttarakhand floods, people who were stuck in the high areas have been asked to give up their gold for food.

Bestie07

I can't get into an auto without constantly needing to keep an eye on the meter (if it exists). I can't fill petrol from the petrol pump, without having an eye on that meter. I get into a bus and the conductor says he will give change when I am getting down. I go into a shop and the shopkeeper offers me chocolates instead of currency. I check the bill after buying grocery, because I am not sure the guy billing has pushed couple of stuff which I have not bought.
People have robbed from dead/injured bodies in train/bus accidents. During Uttarakhand floods, people who were stuck in the high areas have been asked to give up their gold for food.
And yet we blame the government. The leaders come from the common populace and we can't expect them to be empathetic to the suffering of a common man, till we aren't ourselves.

MDFC Manager

IT cells and the propaganda machine has kicked into full overdrive.

Volunteers, especially (but not only) women are being abused and harassed. Counter pieces and comments are being posted (not Modi's fault, not only Modi's fault, states are at fault, foreign powers aren't supporting, what can the govt do when people aren't following rules, people are fear mongering and hoarding, there are no shortages etc etc). Also, kumbh mela wasn't a super spreader event, full precautions were followed and tests were conducted on everyone. Hinduphobic media is maligning the event.

Best are the whatsapp forwards saying RSS have built and opened India's second largest covid care centre. The accompanying photo is of one of Qatar's 2022 WC stadiums.

coolredwine

lameredboots

Saw a video this morning where a group was arrested for selling gas cylinders as oxygen cylinders.

Rana Ayyub wasn’t wrong last year and people lost their shit over her 1 tweet.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
400k reported cases yesterday - so I'm expecting there are atleast 1m actual cases now.

Any other govt, media would have made the life of the govt living hell and we'd have been looking at resignations of ministers and all. Despite prominent journos now succumbing to COVID, I hope a few journos get their senses back and actually start showing news

zing

Zingle balls
USA bans Indian flights. Expected news but still significant.

Foxbatt

400k reported cases yesterday - so I'm expecting there are atleast 1m actual cases now.

Any other govt, media would have made the life of the govt living hell and we'd have been looking at resignations of ministers and all. Despite prominent journos now succumbing to COVID, I hope a few journos get their senses back and actually start showing news
I know some journos and they are running scared because they have been threatened and their newspapers threatened.
India a democracy? It's getting as bad as Russia. At least they don't claim to be the World's largest democracy.

coolredwine

lameredboots
I know some journos and they are running scared because they have been threatened and their newspapers threatened.
India a democracy? It's getting as bad as Russia. At least they don't claim to be the World's largest democracy.
I’m waiting for them to try and arm twist foreign media. It’s gonna be a fun watch *gets popcorn*

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Reports coming in of a blast in a Covid ward in Bharuch. Many fatalities. Just a few minutes from where I was born.

Foxbatt

I’m waiting for them to try and arm twist foreign media. It’s gonna be a fun watch *gets popcorn*
I don't think the foreign media is going to be too critical either. The west needs India to counter the Chinese and the Indian government knows that.

MDFC Manager

Are religious places allowed to have gatherings in Delhi currently?

Because I'm seeing pictures of a Particular Moron doing yet another publicity stunt in a religious place in Delhi.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
And yet we blame the government. The leaders come from the common populace and we can't expect them to be empathetic to the suffering of a common man, till we aren't ourselves.
The government need to set an example. If they are being shady the common people think it’s ok

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
What’s an FIR?
"First Information Report (FIR) is a written document prepared by the police when they receive information about the commission of a cognizable offence. It is a report of information that reaches the police first in point of time and that is why it is called the First Information Report."

Wiki

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
"First Information Report (FIR) is a written document prepared by the police when they receive information about the commission of a cognizable offence. It is a report of information that reaches the police first in point of time and that is why it is called the First Information Report."

Wiki
I just had a feeling it was a bad thing. Typical

Spoony

The People's President
The government need to set an example. If they are being shady the common people think it’s ok

I suspect the government is just power hungry. Possibly the most fascist state in the world. Seems as if 90% of the popular have become brainwashed by the them. They are destroying the country.

Bestie07

It's a bit of a circular loop really. Our current government is probably the worst we have seen in our lifetime, but there are fundamental issues in our society which will continue to hinder us even if we manage to kick out the current government in the next elections.

Suv666

It's a bit of a circular loop really. Our current government is probably the worst we have seen in our lifetime, but there are fundamental issues in our society which will continue to hinder us even if we manage to kick out the current government in the next elections.
Tbf pre-Modi it looked like we were on the path towards a liberal society. Fascism was obviously present in every aspect of society but there was some hope that in a few decades we could eliminate these elements in the urban areas at least. Now the younger generation looks as radical if not more than the current crop.

The rise of the global right at the same time as BJP didn't help at all. Previously at least we had a healthy import of Western democratic values which kept the urban bougie in check. When Europe and US started espousing far right rhetoric that provided legitimacy to the Fanta brigade.
If Trump can claim America is for Americans what is wrong with BJP announcing India is for Hindus, the amount of times I've heard this argument from IIT graduates working in FAANG making feck knows how much money is too damn high.