India politics thread

RedDevil@84

People should read the demonitisation thread again for an action replay of how this is going to look.
You mean they will be still be coming up with new versions of "the real reason for govt did it is" even after months and year

coolredwine

lameredboots
ThatsGreat
Don't make vague points
Also ThatsGreat:
I'm glad he's doing whatever is needed to get the funds in place.
n fact as it turns out, it wasn't early enough because some of your Tablighi Jamaat brothers seem to have taken it upon themselves to spread the virus in India. But I'm sure you'll somehow manage to read Modis hand in that conference as well.
And have another :lol: for arguing for postponing the lockdown. You deserve Rahul Gandhi.
Incredible. The cult knows no bounds.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Ok let's not blame Modi, but call caf posters as their brothers and blame them instead.
Any critic has to be a sympathiser of "those" people or Ra Ga fans. The obsessive compulsion to categorize people is hilarious.
But why this compulsive need to blame anyone at all? Go back and look at the thread, you'll find the usual suspects having a go at the government inspite of prompt decisive action.
Would love to have an alternative timeline to see how many deaths delaying a lockdown would've resulted. But I'm not stupid enough to blame someone for something entirely out of their control.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Don't make vague points, should the lockdown have been declared, or should we have sat and planned for another couple of weeks. And do you or don't you believe that postponing the lockdown would've lead to spiralling of this disaster. Not that we can take a call about that right now, the cases we're seeing are all from pre lockdown time. So, lets wait and see if its been effective instead of passing judgement either way. My position from the beginning, even before the virus made its presence in India is that its going to take draconian measures to get it in control and now that its come here as we all knew it would my full support is behind the current establisment.
First the govt should have done ana analysis of people dying because of Covid-19 without lockdown versus people dying of exhaustion/starvation, and peopl dying of other diseases while hospitals are preoccupied with Covid. Then the govt, which knows that we have a large migrant workforce, should have realised that all lockdowns are totally useless if you don't make arrangements for them.
Who is social distancing here?

These crowds happened as a direct result of the lockdown announcement.

I have described what I think the govt should have done here. Since they have not done even the basics, I think their response is a failure. Announcing a belated lockdown without clariying anything else is *bad* and a *failure* of the government.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
If Modi had done nothing, they would say that he nows that India is a poor country and will deal better by letting it spread. Since he has done something (and done it horribly), they are saying the govt has shown it cares.
There is nothing that the govt does which can ever be bad, and this was proved by the response to demonitisation.

coolredwine

lameredboots
And you're going to say that the government failed miserably no matter what they do, don't fool yourself(or anyone else) Mandatory :lol:
8PM Minister claims India has been testing people/foreigners who enter India since mid-Jan.

Then proceeds to Trump pandering, Delhi Pogrom and buying MLAs of the MP govt between February and March.

Announces a utensil banging competition on 19/03 and then proceeds to announce a full lockdown on 24/03, giving people and local governments a 4h notice. In the middle of all this, also gets a 20kCr renovation plan passed in the Parliament with 0 discussion/debate.

Such planning, much masterstroke from the versatile genius.

RedDevil@84

But why this compulsive need to blame anyone at all? Go back and look at the thread, you'll find the usual suspects having a go at the government inspite of prompt decisive action.
Would love to have an alternative timeline to see how many deaths delaying a lockdown would've resulted. But I'm not stupid enough to blame someone for something entirely out of their control.
Unless you were born yesterday, govts have been blamed for decades. This new theory that people should not blame govt came only after Modi came to power.

Interval

Level
Insulting another member
So he should have sat and planned for two weeks should he? Or he should maybe have denied the need for lockdown altogether, like Trump did :lol: The only thing he could've done is announce a lockdown early on in the spread, which he did. In fact as it turns out, it wasn't early enough because some of your Tablighi Jamaat brothers seem to have taken it upon themselves to spread the virus in India. But I'm sure you'll somehow manage to read Modis hand in that conference as well.
You make a decent change in pace for this thread for having a different opinion.

But also happy to take an infarction for this.

Yourr a C*unt for saying that.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ok let's not blame Modi, but call caf posters as their brothers and blame them instead.
Any critic has to be a sympathiser of "those" people or Ra Ga fans. The obsessive compulsion to categorize people is hilarious.
That he called him a "brother" for daring to criticise dear leader Modi is par for course among the bigoted supporters of the ruling party.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Unless you were born yesterday, govts have been blamed for decades. This new theory that people should not blame govt came only after Modi came to power.
Exactly. Critiquing and criticizing governments and politicians who you are there to serve the people is normal. These fanboi bhakts on the other hand pretend as though we have to serve the leader. No wonder he keeps saying "mein aapse Kuch mangna Chahta hoon" every now and then.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You deserve Rahul Gandhi.
Tbf to RaGa here, he was among the handful of politicians who was questioning the preparedness of the government here. But in response all he got was that he is trying to score political points. Make fun of him all you want, I'm not his fan, but atleast give him credit where due

anant

People really can't be this thick to absolve blame off government here. It was obvious that there would need to be shutdowns in the country once the virus enters. We had 3 weeks of headstart, and then another 2-3 weeks before it started spreading.
Our testing capacity should have been more right from the very start and its still not enough. Large gatherings should have been banned within a week after the 1st positive case. Centre and state should have charted out a worst case scenario plan, the amenities that they can provide and set some supply lines up that a lockdown can be implemented successfully. The speech by PM where he announced the lockdown should have included the amenities that re going to be provided, and also that the landlords shouldn't collect rents from economically backward families, instead of wasting time by saying the same thing over and over again. I'm not sure how much time is needed to procure medical supplies, so wouldn't blame the government on that, but surely there shouldn't have been a dearth of masks from early March itself!

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Lock down should have been in phases. You cannot simply give a 4 hour time frame and not expect logistical nightmares with the way India functions.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Nizamuddin has been functioning for nearly 100 years and there is always a few thousand people within the building, including foreigners visiting the centre. There was no guidance from local authorities prior to lock down to implement any measures to shut down the Markaz.

Modi's 4 hour lock down measure meant people within the centre had basically nowhere to go but to stay within the building. There was no chance of transport and going out was also not an option due either fear of police or being stuck on the streets.

The doors to Markaz were immediately shut after Modi declared lock down. As usual diversion tactics of the biased media away from any blame for the government has worked with the countries mind focused directed towards Markaz in Nizamuddin.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Tbh, there is no "successful" scenario for the lockdown. No matter which society you're in, the poorer sections would be suffering. Unemployment would rise, small businesses would collapse etc. In a society like India, I'd say having a "successful" lockdown is near impossible.

The case of migrant workers should have been handled better though. No point leaving them stranded without assistance.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Nizamuddin has been functioning for nearly 100 years and there is always a few thousand people within the building, including foreigners visiting the centre. There was no guidance from local authorities prior to lock down to implement any measures to shut down the Markaz.

Modi's 4 hour lock down measure meant people within the centre had basically nowhere to go but to stay within the building. There was no chance of transport and going out was also not an option due either fear of police or being stuck on the streets.

The doors to Markaz were immediately shut after Modi declared lock down. As usual diversion tactics of the biased media away from any blame for the government has worked with the countries mind focused directed towards Markaz in Nizamuddin.
If im not mistaken the seminar happened from 1-15 march, the people who attended it arrived in february and the lockdown/curfew started from 22-23 march. I dont see how the entire circus is blaming nizamuddin except for communal politics ?

RedDevil@84

Luckily there is a rumour on whatsapp that the admins will be held responsible for nonsense posted there. Else my apartments whatsapp group would have been filled with free for all by my Islamophobic neighbours.

Foxbatt

Anything is possible in India. I am not surprised. But Modi had no choice but to go for a lockdown. I am not a fan of him but in this case dammed if he did and dammed if he didn't.

RedDevil@84

Anything is possible in India. I am not surprised. But Modi had no choice but to go for a lockdown. I am not a fan of him but in this case dammed if he did and dammed if he didn't.
I don't think anyone is blaming Modi for enforcing lockdown.
The criticism is mostly about timing - some believe it could have been done way early with how things around the world was going
Preparedness - In terms of tests conducted, process of testing, guidelines for the entire country on how to do testing
Coordination and planning - How will lockdown affect people? what about daily wage earners? what about migrants? Will all states be able to handle it? etc etc.

People elect their govts to be able to do all this thinking and planning.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
The criticism is mostly about timing - some believe it could have been done way early with how things around the world was going
There's no "right time" to implement a lockdown. If cases increase, people will say it was done late. If they don't increase there'll be views like "we've been too harsh". Also that lockdown will have a huge impact on people and economy, so an ultra conservative approach won't be beneficial too. Did US implement lockdown at right time? Or Italy, Spain or France? Harsh to judge India's timings on this. Also with the pathetic crisis management infrastructure in India, there was only one way a lockdown will go down and we're seeing it now.

Foxbatt

There's no "right time" to implement a lockdown. If cases increase, people will say it was done late. If they don't increase there'll be views like "we've been too harsh". Also that lockdown will have a huge impact on people and economy, so an ultra conservative approach won't be beneficial too. Did US implement lockdown at right time? Or Italy, Spain or France? Harsh to judge India's timings on this. Also with the pathetic crisis management infrastructure in India, there was only one way a lockdown will go down and we're seeing it now.
Spot on. India is so huge and so disorganised did anyone really expect this to go any different?
As for the police I always had a feeling that most of them are failed cricketers the way they use the lathi. I saw a pitch invasion in Chennai ( Madras) as it was then called. The police had a lathi charge. The next morning's papers had it on the front page. A policeman hitting a fan.
He had rocked on to his back foot with his left feet off the ground and a classical square cut on the arse of the fan. I don't think even Sachin could have done any better.

Bestie07

The most disheartening thing I have seen through all of this is the behaviour of the police with the poor street vendors, which is bordering on inhuman. I don't know what else I expected but it breaks my heart to see some of the videos circulating around :(

AshRK

The most disheartening thing I have seen through all of this is the behaviour of the police with the poor street vendors, which is bordering on inhuman. I don't know what else I expected but it breaks my heart to see some of the videos circulating around :(
Police misusing their power has always been a thing in India. And now with this lockdown thing they have got a justified reason to misuse it even more. Although it has to be said there are some people who instead of staying home are roaming outside are arguing with police like idiots. And there are some honourable policeman who are helping the people out in this tough times but because of some stupid policemen who think wearing the uniform give them the right to beat people are just spoiling the whole profession's image.

Foxbatt

I am sure I saw a video of a lathi fight between two people. One was a policeman. It was hilarious as it looks like a Chinese movie scene with two masters fighting with sticks.

milemuncher777

formerly kid777

Yuvraj and Harbhajan getting lots of abuse.

Bhakts once again coming across as terrible, inhuman scumbags. Thanks to RSS for their teachings.

Harbhajan desperately trying to prove his patriotism.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Spot on. India is so huge and so disorganised did anyone really expect this to go any different?
Exactly. This was always going to be a mess, at least the govt called it early. We have live examples of what could go wrong with delay from US, UK, Brazil. In fact I was half expecting him to declare a lockdown on March 18th itself, but no doubt the demonetisation debacle has made him wary of being too hasty with things.

In positive news, reading that the mandated BCG vaccine which Indians get will help us be more resistant to the coronavirus strains. And I believe we're just more germ resistant than cleaner countries.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal

The Delhi govt order banning gatherings was passed on March 13th. The preachers in there were in violation of their visas. And the people that dispersed from the jamaat to other parts of the country before 24th aren't presenting themselves for testing. Not that I entirely blame the jamaat of course, we can't really expect religious people to be as vigilant as the rest. But the same way that you have the modi haters blaming the government when there's no blame to be given, you'll also have haters of a different kind hating without cause.

anant

And I believe we're just more germ resistant than cleaner countries.
This is one of those arguments that I will literally never get. There is literally nothing to prove that our immunity is higher, and the chances of that being higher because of our hygiene are near impossible.
Go back a 100 years, we were poorer, and I'm pretty sure we weren't cleaner then. But, we still lost 12 million people from Spanish flu!