Film Indiana Jones 5

Raven

She has full control over lucasfilm. Why do you think every male character has been emasculated for new female characters?

Indy for Phoebe
Luke for Rey
The Mandalorian for Bo-Katarn
Obi-Wan for Leia and Reva

She hates men and this is another example.

You've seen what they did with Luke in the streaming shows and Leia in Rogue One.

Once they realise the new characters don't sell because they can't write good ones anymore, they will just go all out on the Luke and Leia cgi stuff for classic characters that do sell.
Ooft, king of the bad takes strikes again.

Chairman Steve

Kathleen Kennedy feels like someone who has hung round a bit too long with producing. She’s like 70 herself and there’s no Lucas or Spielberg around. It takes a real renaissance person as a general filmmaker to stick around for so long and still produce high quality movies and those people are quite rare. Spielberg is the ultimate in this regard seeing that he’s still makes highly acclaimed and highly profitable movies for almost 50 years.

Lucas has pretty much retired and Spielberg wanted to move on from Indiana Jones after Last Crusade.

Bobski

It won’t be long until the estates of famous people are selling their image rights, which will be plugged into AI tech and used in media.
Maybe we will finally get Leia, Han and Luke on screen together again, still find it hard to believe that wasn't a goal of TFA.

Actually very likely given the chronic lack of creativity and originality in the industry. I think you likely have good ideas potential new IPS but they are too much of a risk when compared to safe reboots and remakes. Disney are particularly bad there, the dreary live action remakes of their classic toons, only decent Star Wars stuff for me is Andor and Rogue One. Need a bit of failure before they start trying new things again, hopefully the superhero movies are starting to die off as well.

Zen86

You've seen what they did with Luke in the streaming shows and Leia in Rogue One.

Once they realise the new characters don't sell because they can't write good ones anymore, they will just go all out on the Luke and Leia cgi stuff for classic characters that do sell.
I can see it now… “And the Oscar for best non-human, CGI, or AI performance goes to… Acting Unit 0.8!”

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
I don't think she wrote it mate.
You don't think the person in charge had input in what all the stories are about?

Nothing says “I get all my film opinions from weird YouTube cranks” than blaming the woman who literally produced all the original Indiana Jones films & has been part of the Speilberg/Lucas set up for 40 odd years and heavily involved in all the films they love, for deliberately ruining everything now… or whatever nonsense they’re angry about today.

I actually wish she was trying to deliberately tank things just to make them angry, ‘cos she’d be a fecking hero!
Whats the old saying? You're only as good as your last hit? KK took over lucusfilm in 2012. Since then shes overseen a multiple billion dollar franchise and turned it into a tv show franchise that no one really likes. She over saw the revival of willow, which was so bad it was pulled off of Disney plus in under 6 months. I know there's a whole culture war pile of shit people love to get caught up in, but the fact his her being a woman has nothing to do with it. She's failed at her job. That's not an objective opinion, that's a fact. Since 2015 Star Wars has made less, and less money. And at the end of the day, that's that real measurement. Doesn't matter if it's "woke" or whatever the feck the opposite of woke is, if it's not making money and growing the franchise, it's a failure. And apparently her plan to rescue Star Wars as a movie franchise is to give the audience more of what they rejected in the first place. Thats not good business no matter how you try to shake it.

Youtube cranks or not, she's the one in charge. So the buck stops with her. No? Captain of the ship and all that.

Chairman Steve

Regardless of the whole unsubtle identity politics shoehorning that gets leveled at these movies, they’re just fecking boring, uninteresting, generic movies in the bigger picture. It’s a bit annoying when it’s a movie that’s in a franchise that made exciting, interesting entries previously because you feel like you’ve been conned. At best you get some mild entertainment out of it in the cinema but you’ve forgotten all about it the following day.

Theres 3 good Star Wars movies and 3 good Indiana Jones movies and it’s probably best that they left it at that.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
She has full control over lucasfilm. Why do you think every male character has been emasculated for new female characters?

Indy for Phoebe
Luke for Rey

Jesus Christ. It’s shooty laser guns and made up aliens and you and everyone like you are crying about not being able to cheer for men in every movie.

The world isn’t going to wait for you. Keep up, or be left behind.

Big Andy

Bloke
I personally would not have had Harrison Ford leading an Indiana Jones 5 movie. It’d be someone else and abandon the linear chronological ordering of the movies. Just go full James Bond with it since the franchise was born out of Spielberg getting rejected for making a James Bond movie.

Surely you can make an interesting story that doesn’t involve Nazi Germany as the antagonists.
I know they said that they'd never make Indy without Harrison Ford, but there is surely the entire span of modern history to play with and as you say, if they make it ambiguous when its taking place then they could take the franchise forwards without dumping on the legacy they set up.

But who would play him though? It would need to be a big-ish name, with the ability to do action stuff, but also have the charm and charisma of Indy as well. The only one off the top of my head would be Chris Pratt, as I think he'd be decent in the role tbh. But then again, there's a reason why I'm not a Hollywood casting director

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Indy for Phoebe
Luke for Rey

Sometimes when you post outside of the subject of press-resistant midfielders I start warming to you and then I see shit like this and it's all ruined.

Gavinb33

Indy for Phoebe
Luke for Rey

Won't somebody think of the......men :nervous:

Lecland07

Nothing says “I get all my film opinions from weird YouTube cranks” than blaming the woman who literally produced all the original Indiana Jones films & has been part of the Speilberg/Lucas set up for 40 odd years and heavily involved in all the films they love, for deliberately ruining everything now… or whatever nonsense they’re angry about today.

I actually wish she was trying to deliberately tank things just to make them angry, ‘cos she’d be a fecking hero!
She didn't actually - she only produced Temple of Doom (considered the worst of the original trilogy), Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and the new one. The other two were Robert Watts.

Her record with big-name fiction is quite poor, overall.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Feels harsh railing in Kennedy. I can't imagine it being easy to work at Disney where the sole criteria is seemingly quantity over quality.
Compare the vitriol that she gets to someone like Feige, who hasn't exactly been at the helm of quality Marvel content for the last few years, and I definitely think it's harsh.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
She didn't actually - she only produced Temple of Doom (considered the worst of the original trilogy), Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and the new one. The other two were Robert Watts.

Her record with big-name fiction is quite poor, overall.
Ah, fair enough…. Just Gremlins, Back To the Future trilogy, ET, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Goonies, Cape Fear, Schindlers List, The Sixth Sense and Jurassic Park then… Amateur

Ish

Lights on for Luke

:lol:

Yagami

Good post resistant

Indy for Phoebe
Luke for Rey

I forgot another big one with the new Ahsoka series.

Not only has Rey took his role in rebuilding the Jedi order, Ahsoka is going to take his role from the awesome Thrawn trilogy series. What's worse is, because of this, we won't get one of the best EU characters in Mara Jade because, to have her, Luke needs to be the protagonist and, well, he's a man, so no.

Yagami

Good post resistant
btw, @Mr Pigeon , look up a recent Spielberg clip talking about KK. He thinks she's as silly as everyone else.

Herman Toothrot

Not only has Rey took his role in rebuilding the Jedi order, Ahsoka is going to take his role from the awesome Thrawn trilogy series. What's worse is, because of this, we won't get one of the best EU characters in Mara Jade because, to have her, Luke needs to be the protagonist and, well, he's a man, so no.

I can't believe that you don't think you're being stupid here. You cannot be this stupid. Come on, tell us you're joking.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

I'm not sure what you want to hear but a big portion of marvel/disney nerds these days are women so the films are clearly trying to cater to them alongside the male nerds who historically made up most of the fanbase. What's the problem?

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I can't believe that you don't think you're being stupid here. You cannot be this stupid. Come on, tell us you're joking.
You're trying to get a response out of someone who clearly graduated from the DJ Jeff school of drive-by posting.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst

Indy for Phoebe
Luke for Rey

Mockney

Let’s ignore the incels for a bit and discuss the fact that I watched Crystal Skull the other day and actually…. It’s still shit…. BUT it only gets shit about a 3rd of the way in. The opening 40 or so minutes - including the fridge scene & the introduction of Mutt - are genuinely pretty good Speilbergian Indiana Jones stuff. You could even go as far to say that almost (almost!) the first half of the film is fine…

It’s only when they reintroduce Ray Winstone, Karen Allen & John Hurt - who are all completely pointless and annoying characters - that it gets bad, and then continues to get worse and more weirdly unreal looking until the end, where the film doesn’t really have any stakes, and the skull itself looks like a crap cheap prop…. It’s also lit really oddly.

But I will defend the nuke scene as being perfectly fine daft Indiana Jones shit, and the 50s/B movie alien plot as a reasonable idea

Herman Toothrot

Let’s ignore the incels for a bit and discuss the fact that I watched Crystal Skull the other day and actually…. It’s still shit…. BUT it only gets shit about a 3rd of the way in. The opening 40 or so minutes - including the fridge scene & the introduction of Mutt - are genuinely pretty good Speilbergian Indiana Jones stuff. You could even go as far to say that almost (almost!) the first half of the film is fine…

It’s only when they reintroduce Ray Winstone, Karen Allen & John Hurt - who are all completely pointless and annoying characters - that it gets bad, and then continues to get worse and more weirdly unreal looking until the end, where the film doesn’t really have any stakes, and the skull itself looks like a crap cheap prop…. It’s also lit really oddly.

But I will defend the nuke scene as being perfectly fine daft Indiana Jones shit, and the 50s/B movie alien plot as a reasonable idea
I agree with every word, even the fridge, though I do feel they could have found a way to make its landing less brutal. But is it any worse than jumping from a plane in a raft? The worst bit about it is that it starts quite well and lures you in. I've got my IMAX ticket sorted for Wednesday, let's just hope it can be fun without drifting too far into the ridiculous by the end.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
btw, @Mr Pigeon , look up a recent Spielberg clip talking about KK. He thinks she's as silly as everyone else.
is this the video youre talking about? ? I can't find anything else thats recent. Putting in any combination of words gets nothing but an avalanche of talking heads like this one taking a nothing burger and trying to turn in to views. So, is that it or is it something else thats flying under the radar?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
is this the video youre talking about? ? I can't find anything else thats recent. Putting in any combination of words gets nothing but an avalanche of talking heads like this one taking a nothing burger and trying to turn in to views. So, is that it or is it something else thats flying under the radar?
All I could find was a similar video from a similar shock jock, who took a quote where Speilberg says something along the lines of "many people are involved in making a movie, so it isn't fair to just focus on producers" and turned it into "what I think he's saying is that Kathleen is an asshole who's ruined Indy".

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that there's some other "explosive" quote that's come out recently so hopefully he will clarify his remarks and not just ignore my response like he did two days ago.

I've not seen this movie (and don't really have much plan to) but I'm not seeing anything with the other three examples that support your point.

Luke mentors Rey, and often makes her look like a fool. He's shown to be a more powerful force user than her when he projects his form on to another planet light years away. He even guides her beyond the grave in the third movie.

Bo-Katarn is shown to be a leader who has no support whatsoever until Mando turns up and vouches for her. She gets the darksaber simply because Mando doesn't want it, and doesn't want power for himself. Her arc is dependent on others finding value in her as a leader to reclaim her birthright, whereas Mando is purely focused on Grogu and following the Creed.

Obi-Wan is old and has cut himself away from the force for twenty years, and yet he kicks Darth Vader's ass again whilst protecting Leia from being kidnapped or killed. He returns Reva to the light side by making her see the error of her ways. There's two characters where he is the wise old sage providing guidance, all the while doing it with a blaster, lightsaber, and hurling boulders at his old best friend.

But, of course, there are moments in those shows and movies where the female characters do some kick ass stuff on their own. I wonder if you're mistaking any female character having occasional moments where they aren't damsels in distress for "emasculating" lead male characters.

Herman Toothrot

I loved this. Not without fault, pacing problems and a whole lotta nitpicking, but it has heart and soul and left me in tears. I loved it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Kathleen Kennedy feels like someone who has hung round a bit too long with producing. She’s like 70 herself and there’s no Lucas or Spielberg around. It takes a real renaissance person as a general filmmaker to stick around for so long and still produce high quality movies and those people are quite rare. Spielberg is the ultimate in this regard seeing that he’s still makes highly acclaimed and highly profitable movies for almost 50 years.

Lucas has pretty much retired and Spielberg wanted to move on from Indiana Jones after Last Crusade.
No. It is just she is a woman who is emasculating us all by having female characters outrageously not always being damsels in distress.

Mockney

I loved this. Not without fault, pacing problems and a whole lotta nitpicking, but it has heart and soul and left me in tears. I loved it.
Yeah I didn’t mind it, the FX are a bit wonky in places but it zips along and I actually thought Phoebe Waller Bridge was great in it… weirdly the only bit I didn’t like much was the ‘early’ Indy stuff…

the de-aging isn’t too bad when he’s not moving a lot, but his voice, ooooof. Just a very clearly 80 year old man’s creaky voice speaking through the young Indiana mask was really weird and off putting. It worked better in the second flashback when he’s supposed to be 50 odd thorough.

The absolutely bonkers ending was quite amusing. Though I can see it annoying the same kind of people who were annoyed about ‘aliens’ in the last one.

Also killing Mutt off screen was harsh :lol: but it played into the whole quite well.

It’s not essential and the none of the sequences really felt close to ‘classic’ Spielberg, but it was a perfectly fine Indiana Jones film.

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Really fun movie. Hard to disentangle whether I liked it because it had blights of fun nostalgia, or whether it’s great on its own merits. I think the latter.

Phoebe was great in it. A little too Fleabaggy in parts. But that’s probably unfair as she’s full of knowing looks and quips in real life. Woody Allenesque in some ways in that it’s great acting but also doesn’t feel like a huge character leap.

The return of the Nazis was a little on the nose. But they tied everything together and stuck the landing.

Really liked it. I’d love to see a Wallers-Bridge helmed romp across the globe. Dialled back to a neighbourhood level threat. I don’t need to see her save the whole world. Bring back her little mate. Set the thing prior to this movie, let her be a loveable thief that falls in love while making awful decisions. I’d even go a solid multi-year coming of age story that brings back her dad, and many things that this movie hints at. She’s charismatic and could carry a movie on her own.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Wtf is this thread about? Just tell me if the movie is good to see in the cinema or shall I wait until home release.

lsd

The Oracle
I know they have gotten more and more ridiculous but I have heard this one has time travel and just lost all will to see it.