Television Inside No. 9

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I thought it was good up until she murdered her boyfriend. It just didn’t make sense why she’d do it. Other than that I liked it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I thought it was good up until she murdered her boyfriend. It just didn’t make sense why she’d do it. Other than that I liked it.
Inspired by this thread, I sought out the series 5 episodes.
I agree with you, just as weird ending. She'd become a maniac by being in the house alone!?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I got that from it too, I just don’t really understand what impact it had on the story. Doesn’t it pretty much work the same if we never meet the United captain? Other than the fact they have to have the number 9 in there somewhere, and therefore the referee is technically ‘inside number 9’ himself, I wasn’t sure why his character was in there really.

I could be wrong though, I missed the obvious reveal that the ref was behind the bribe so I’m probably missing something again.
Just caught up, thought it was an excellent episode. Full of laughs, and the usual massive twist, that I for another, certainly didn't see coming.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
*crickets chirping*

Think that one will be a divisive episode because there was a lack of comedy or horror. I quite enjoyed it though and thought it was wonderfully acted. Also not one to watch when people are distracting you because you have to put the narrative together yourself..i.e. I need to rewatch again to confirm what I think happened, actually happened ....

the mum ran over the guy coming after her son and got sent down for it

Oggmonster

Thought it was pretty shite personally didn't enjoy it at all. As you say there was no comedy or horror like usual but the story just wasn't interesting at all either.

Hephaestus

*crickets chirping*

Think that one will be a divisive episode because there was a lack of comedy or horror. I quite enjoyed it though and thought it was wonderfully acted. Also not one to watch when people are distracting you because you have to put the narrative together yourself..i.e. I need to rewatch again to confirm what I think happened, actually happened ....

the mum ran over the guy coming after her son and got sent down for it
I don't think she got sent down for it, the police wanted to speak to her son about it, not her.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think the implication was that one of them definitely ran him over. I don’t know if it was the mum, though. The car/driving lessons were weird to begin with but I think that was the big clue (although they did show how cash strapped the family were).
That makes sense. What was the scene about at the end when they both in the kitchen and Reece was crying? I couldn't hear what was being said.
He was crying over his wife, who died 4 Christmases ago.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I think the implication was that one of them definitely ran him over. I don’t know if it was the mum, though. The car/driving lessons were weird to begin with but I think that was the big clue (although they did show how cash strapped the family were).
He was crying over his wife, who died 4 Christmases ago.
Ah right.
I wondered why he was crying over the other guys wife
:lol:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Yeah i didn't like that episodes much at all really. Very well acted, but just nothing there for me. Very lukewarm on this season so far. First episode was fine, second was funny but ultimately had a very poor ending and didn't make a massive amount of sense. Then this one. Worst season so far.

2 man midfield

Yeah i didn't like that episodes much at all really. Very well acted, but just nothing there for me. Very lukewarm on this season so far. First episode was fine, second was funny but ultimately had a very poor ending and didn't make a massive amount of sense. Then this one. Worst season so far.
I thought series 3 was poor, apart from the very good crossword episode.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I thought series 3 was poor, apart from the very good crossword episode.
Yeah Riddle of The Sphinx.

Didn't mind season 3, tbh. The Bill. The Devil of Christmas. Diddle Diddle Dumpling.

Not liking where this season's going though.

2 man midfield

Yeah Riddle of The Sphinx.

Didn't mind season 3, tbh. The Bill. The Devil of Christmas. Diddle Diddle Dumpling.

Not liking where this season's going though.
The Devil of Christmas might be my least favourite episode. Actually struggled to get through it.

2 man midfield

Oh really?

I loved the 1970s horror pastiche, and thought it had a good ending too. Next weeks episode looks good though.
Yeah, which never happens with these. There's usually something that keeps you hooked but not with that one.

Yeah, something about magic isn't it?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Yeah, which never happens with these. There's usually something that keeps you hooked but not with that one.

Yeah, something about magic isn't it?
Yeah that's right. I watched a quick 30 second preview and read a little about it, and it seems intriguing.

DWelbz19

Yeah, not bad that. A fairly common trope but it was done well.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Well i loved that one. Great atmosphere throughout and kept me intrigued. I thought it was very well executed and personally i really liked the payoff. Although the episode is quite similar to The Riddle of the Sphinx i still really enjoyed it. Easily the best episode of the season.

DWelbz19

I think when a show of this style goes on for this many seasons, the problem it begins to face is that the twists begin to feel rather samey or rehashed. “it’s not all about the twists etc” — but we all know it is, really.

I think Black Mirror has/had the same issue, and they’ve tried (I wouldn’t say succeeded) to resolve that by increasing the budgets and making it a showier spectacle. Inside No.9 is far more intimate so I don’t see them taking sort of style.

Hephaestus

Think that was my favourite of a weak series. Could have done without the flashforward just because that immediatly had me thinking he was undead but the rest of it worked pretty well.

DWelbz19

I think the last 3 episodes picked it back up. Nothing amazing, but pretty decent.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Can't wait. Season 5 wasn't the best but it still had some strong moments.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Was ok. The whole meta thing has been a bit done to death.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I liked it. Some smart gags, but when they knew they were going broad they laid it on with a trowel. I loved Shearsmith's Italian accent.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Not too much activity in this thread. Guess not many people are watching it.

I know the first episode was quite divisive, but I actually quite liked it. I think a big issue with this show for me, is that my expectation is so unbelievably high that the show will probably never meet it. The second episode seemed to have been reviewed very well, and while it certainly wasn't bad, i found it slightly anticlimactic. I guess i don't know what i want from the show, really. I had the same feeling for the whole of last season. Just found it a little underwhelming.

Probably unfair on the show as it's obviously very smartly written, but the standards were so high in the early episodes that i don't think they've ever matched them since. At least for me.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah I’m quite similar. I don’t really know what I want from it and I wouldn’t mind if it ended. I think they’re short on ideas now and it is hard to keep coming up with interesting twists. Don’t think they’ll ever reach the heights of A Quiet Night In or The 12 Days Of Christine again.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
1 didn't like, 2-3 good, 4 was decent weird twist. Sure it makes more sense if I think about it. Still worth watching, always something different.

2 man midfield

1 was pretty poor I thought. A bit like that one in the first series with the stage hand, you’re waiting for it to get going but it never does.

3 and 4 were easily the best of the current series.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I really enjoyed episode three. Thought it was quite well done with the phone conversation and his ex partners lines being read by the lip reader.

DWelbz19

Not too much activity in this thread. Guess not many people are watching it.

I know the first episode was quite divisive, but I actually quite liked it. I think a big issue with this show for me, is that my expectation is so unbelievably high that the show will probably never meet it. The second episode seemed to have been reviewed very well, and while it certainly wasn't bad, i found it slightly anticlimactic. I guess i don't know what i want from the show, really. I had the same feeling for the whole of last season. Just found it a little underwhelming.

Probably unfair on the show as it's obviously very smartly written, but the standards were so high in the early episodes that i don't think they've ever matched them since. At least for me.
Yeah I’m quite similar. I don’t really know what I want from it and I wouldn’t mind if it ended. I think they’re short on ideas now and it is hard to keep coming up with interesting twists. Don’t think they’ll ever reach the heights of A Quiet Night In or The 12 Days Of Christine again.
It’s the same criticism you can level with Black Mirror — these types of shows can only go so far.

Weird seeing Johnson in Ep 1.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
No idea what they were going for with that one. Bizarre.