Internationals October (Nations League + Euro 2021 play-offs + Friendlies)

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I'm really worried because im quite excited by this next generation of English players - they are a bit more technical than being physical as some of the previous generations have been.

I just hope the english FA doesnt look at southgate as some young manager who can learn & grow with the team - because I dont see it at all.
He's basically allowed to do what he wants because of that semi final run at the world cup. Look back objectively, it was dreadful then and we had an easy run.

Not to downplay it, because it's the best run in a generation. But he can't play like that all the time, surely. It's a good tactic to have in certain games but not Wales at home.

Oldyella

I'm really worried because im quite excited by this next generation of English players - they are a bit more technical than being physical as some of the previous generations have been.

I just hope the english FA doesnt look at southgate as some young manager who can learn & grow with the team -
because I dont see it at all.
We have some great players coming through and a functioning youth team producing more and are going to waste it all with him in charge.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Kalvin Phillips is one of those players who doesn't make a lot of high-profile mistakes which keeps im out of the limelight, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I can't help but feel it distracts from the fact he's a very ordinary player. It's a testament to Biesla's ability as a manger to elevate players like Phillips.

Paul_Scholes18

We have some great players coming through and a functioning youth team producing more and are going to waste it all with him in charge.
Is he that bad though? Strong world cup and also strong qualifiers now for Euros.
Certainly capable to win the Euros with England as 3-4th favorite.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Surprised Wales aren't playing Dan James and Brooks. Moore causing some issues for England backline but has a lack of support, Matondo keeps running into blind alleys even if his pace is useful.

Deery

Dreary
The Republic match nearly putting me to sleep but Ireland having it a little bit of the better.

Can’t see it not going to penalties..

NoPace

Kalvin Phillips is one of those players who doesn't make a lot of high-profile mistakes which keeps im out of the limelight, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I can't help but feel it distracts from the fact he's a very ordinary player. It's a testament to Biesla's ability as a manger to elevate players like Phillips.
Good athlete and long passer, that's a fine start at DM surely?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Yep, if only Villa got relegated.

He wouldn't have signed that contract and it would have been a battle for his signature.
I have a feeling there will be clauses in that contract that will let him leave to a CL club or something.

There's probably a relegation clause in there too, but can't see Villa going down this year.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Surprised Wales aren't playing Dan James and Brooks. Moore causing some issues for England backline but has a lack of support, Matondo keeps running into blind alleys even if his pace is useful.
James has been ill, they have important qualifiers coming up so likely don't want to risk injury, same with England.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Good athlete and long passer, that's a fine start at DM surely?
Players like that are a dime a dozen, he doesn't stand out. If you were looking for a player matching that DM description you'd prefer Jordan Henderson.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Being saved for the Nations League game against Ireland, probably.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Exactly. I mean look at how Pope has been today. I feel more confident with him than Pickford. Yet Southgate has spent years on Pickford instead of Pope or Henderson. Took him ages to pick Grealish aswell. He uses Kane when such a striker needs a certain type of team to make him deadly as possible but then uses Kane with Rashford and Sterling as inverted forwards etc.

I just feels he might not have the appropriate ability to judge a player, to judge their best position and the formation to get the best out of everyone either.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
James has been ill, they have important qualifiers coming up so likely don't want to risk injury, same with England.
Do nations league winners get play off as insurance as happened in the euro qualifiers?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Can somebody explain to me what the feck has happened to Calvert-Lewin?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Grealish strolling it so far. Started off on left but is given licence to drift infield whenever needed.

What England should be doing more of, flexibility in the final third like the nations who actually win competitions.

Can somebody explain to me what the feck has happened to Calvert-Lewin?
Coaching from Duncan Ferguson and Carlo Ancelotti coming to fruition. He’s sticking between the posts and he’s finishing off chances. He’s always been powerful in the air and they’ve brought other attributes out of his game.

Last edited:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Grealish strolling it so far. Started off on left but is given licence to drift infield whenever needed.

What England should be doing more of, flexibility in the final third like the nations who actually win competitions.
Southgate has to keep picking him. He's class.

Art

Art the artist
Always thought Wenger would do really well with the talent that the England national team has to offer.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Wales have been decent given the players they have. Do they always play like this or have England made them look decent?

dbs235

This formation is horrendous. Praying Southgate doesn't want to persist with it otherwise England are screwed.