Investment Investment Investment

NJM78

For me it is pretty simple. We must buy a quality right forward with pace and creativity, Lingard is certainly not the answer. We buy an already top class and experienced CB, the same at RB. Ashley Young must never start for us again come next season. We also need a DM who has the qualities of Matic but is more mobile and younger.

We do this we challenge. We don't...we don't.

Darmian, Rojo, Valencia must go. Pereira will leave. Sanchez also if we can manage to rid ourselves of him.
I would sell Lukaku and Fred if we get the chance also. I'm still worried about signing up Jones and Smalling long term, have a feeling we will not buy another CB as Tuanzebe could take Rojo squad place and 5 CBs is enough to be fair and if the Glazers can save money they will.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
There is enough talent in the squad. Enough quality. Enough stars. It's a decent manager needed to pull it all together and up until last night I thought OGS was the one but he shown he hasn't got the minerals for the big games.
I agree. We should totally employ the policy of one defeat for all managers I.e. the minute you lose your first game, we take your keys and you are not allowed into Old Trafford ever again. You get replaced with another manager and we give him the same condition - you are allowed to remain here for as long as you do not lose a game.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
We need few signings, RB, CB, CM and RW. We have good enough team, obviously we should add more quality to this team.

We need proper RB so that Dalot can play as back up. For now Young can be back up for both FB positions.

We need dominant CB who can also pass the ball and also CM to play alongside Herrera and Pogba. Matic can add depth to the squad.

Without any doubt we need RW who can take players on and add some goals.

It might be a big investment but something that should be done.

jem

There is enough talent in the squad. Enough quality. Enough stars. It's a decent manager needed to pull it all together and up until last night I thought OGS was the one but he shown he hasn't got the minerals for the big games.
So you’re ready to make that judgment after one game? Strange.

gregor

It'll take some time to assemble a new squad. Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho did quite big damage.

jem

100% agree. We need arguably our biggest transfer window ever if we want to compete.

That doesn’t mean we will solve all our problems this summer, as that would be unrealistic but if we invest heavily and with purpose it will go a very long way.
I’m not sure it need be the biggest per se, but definitely the most well-planned and strategic. A CB, a RB, a RW and a MF. Of those, I think only the CB requires a VVD-like outlay. The others could be in the younger players with potential (actually perhaps RB needs a bit more, as Dalot isn’t ready and Young and Valencia can’t be starting anymore.)

jem

Speaking of RB, who are some of the candidates who could be available?

fallengt

Verrati > Matic, Herrera. Mbappe > Rashford. Cavani > Lukaku. Neymar > Martial. PSG's back 4 > ours
Not even close.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
What an idiotic post. Are you a RAWK fan in disguise? Judging one manager on one game against an elite side when 2 of his best players were forced from the pitch with injury.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
We need like for like replacements and a top CB,CM,RW.

Problem currently is we replace players with completely different players. The squad is a mismatch

passing-wind

What an idiotic post. Are you a RAWK fan in disguise? Judging one manager on one game against an elite side when 2 of his best players were forced from the pitch with injury.
While I wouldn't write solskjaer off, there's question marks surrounding his coaching ability to take the club forward (challenge not compete for top 4) but thus far his man management has got us through this great run of games up until the loss.

I keep hearing the same nonsense that we lost our best players, when Lingard and Martial was on the field we managed to create ONE shot on goal and it came from the individual brilliance of Pogba

We played a weakened PSG and we couldn't dent their formation, we had no answers for being overrun in the midfield, we was the home team yet they were more composed, kept possession more effectively and were the more dangerous team throughout the entirety of the 90 mins.

Martial was invisible due to being marked by Kreher / Alves and Jessie isn't direct enough in his play to penetrate their defence but his ability to not loose possession is something that is massively beneficial but in hindsight it shouldn't be a positive. These are paid professionals at the top level, not loosing the ball should automatically be a given if your playing for this club and that simple fact was the difference because we had no rhythm in our play.

It was a footballing clinic by PSG, if Lingard and Martial could not influence the first half how would they have effected the result of the game ? Ole made no tactical changes in the second half aside personnel. We didn't look settled all game as Ole said the level was significantly out of our reach.

Keefy18

We've been through this a million times on this forum. Yes, if you start from an arbitrary point in the Glazers tenure which happened to coincidence with huge inflation in the transfer market you will quite clearly see our total investment is comparably high against other clubs

However, that misses the point so badly, for the following reasons;

1. We needed to sign almost a whole squad of players as we'd spent next to nothing since 2005!
2. We've been signing these players at a time when even a run-of-the-mill PL CB costs £50m

Just to demonstrate that point, our opposition last night have spent £400m (half of that figure) on two players. Let's see how our figures compare five years from now when each team has gone through a full transfer cycle. If we are still in the top few in Europe, then I will at least credit the Glazers for spending a par amount based on our earnings

FYI - I do also agree with your point about our Scouting. The money could have absolutely been spent better but this isn't a contradiction of my above point
As you state they became majority shareholders in 05, In their first season of ownership we bough Vidic, Evra, Park and VDS. These 4 quality players were added to a squad that already had Rooney, Ronaldo, RVN, Giggs, Scholes, Heinze, Brown, Silvestre, Smith, Saha, Rio, Neville etc etc...

We really, really didn't need huge investments from 05-10 in reality. The squad was busting at the seems with talent and we won leagues and CL consistently but we still continued to add quality players in Tevez, Carrick, Nani, Anderson (yes he was at one point very talented and highly sought after), Berbatov and RVP.

If there was a period of under investment at all it was from 2010-13, the Ronaldo sale to Fergusons retirement. Reality is though that is on everyone at the club, not just the board. Ferguson was winding down and didn't role out a good rebuilding project in those final years and hung onto ageing players in Giggs, Scholes, Rio, Vidic and Evra...all 30 or well past it, some closer to 40!

It's not about the price tag, its finding hidden gems and coaching them to greatness. That is something United and in particular Ferguson done for close to 30 years. Irwin, Bruce, Cantona, Kanchelskis, Evra, Vidic etc etc all for reasonable prices and went onto greatness.

Again its not the quantity, its the quality or lack there of.

"Tripe"...do these keyboard warriors ever listen to themselves.....
What a wonderfully thought out, reasoned reply :rolleyes:

Feel free to reply with something intelligent.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
As you state they became majority shareholders in 05, In their first season of ownership we bough Vidic, Evra, Park and VDS. These 4 quality players were added to a squad that already had Rooney, Ronaldo, RVN, Giggs, Scholes, Heinze, Brown, Silvestre, Smith, Saha, Rio, Neville etc etc...

We really, really didn't need huge investments from 05-10 in reality. The squad was busting at the seems with talent and we won leagues and CL consistently but we still continued to add quality players in Tevez, Carrick, Nani, Anderson (yes he was at one point very talented and highly sought after), Berbatov and RVP.

If there was a period of under investment at all it was from 2010-13, the Ronaldo sale to Fergusons retirement. Reality is though that is on everyone at the club, not just the board. Ferguson was winding down and didn't role out a good rebuilding project in those final years and hung onto ageing players in Giggs, Scholes, Rio, Vidic and Evra...all 30 or well past it, some closer to 40!

It's not about the price tag, its finding hidden gems and coaching them to greatness. That is something United and in particular Ferguson done for close to 30 years. Irwin, Bruce, Cantona, Kanchelskis, Evra, Vidic etc etc all for reasonable prices and went onto greatness.

Again its not the quantity, its the quality or lack there of.

What a wonderfully thought out, reasoned reply :rolleyes:

Feel free to reply with something intelligent.
The 4 player per summer rule was good enough for a team who was on top and needed short fixes. We're nowhere near to that. In my opinion we need to change our transfer strategy. The club need to have experienced football people in place to sustain a huge staff turnover. From the buying side we need to start buying promising talent + the occasional top player heading towards the end of his contract (ex Toby or Ramsey). These sort of players provide value + are easy to offload if they fail to reach the high standards set. On the other hand these football people need to be able to offload the deadwood quickly before their price plummet. Its fascinating how sub standard players like Fellaini, Jones, the failed wingers who were moved to fullbacks as they became too shit to play in their natural role and Anderson were able to stay to OT for so long

In my opinion we should get

RB: Wan Bissaka
CB: Toby, De Ligt
LB: Tierney
DM: Rabiot
RW: Pepe or Cengis Under
CM: Pellegrini

Offload

RB: Valencia, darmian
CB: Rojo, Jones, Bailly
MC: Fred
RW: Mata
LW: Sanchez

Last edited:

Keefy18

The 4 player per summer rule was good enough for a team who was on top and needed short fixes. We're nowhere near to that. In my opinion we need to change our transfer strategy. The club need to have experienced football people in place to sustain a huge staff turnover. From the buying side we need to start buying promising talent + the occasional top player heading towards the end of his contract (ex Toby or Ramsey). These sort of players provide value + are easy to offload if they fail to reach the high standards set. On the other hand these football people need to be able to offload the deadwood quickly before their price plummet. Its fascinating how sub standard players like Fellaini, Jones, the failed wingers who were moved to fullbacks as they became too shit to play in their natural role and Anderson were able to stay to OT for so long

Offload

RB: Valencia
Absolutely this.

The issues are far deeper than just "we need to spend more". No we need to buy and sell sensibly with ruthlessness playing a key part. I think Woodward / Board were relying on Jose to rebuild the team in a traditional United image, but that was never going to happen due to his ego.

I would keep Fred from that list myself anyway, there's clearly a player in there. I think its a case of needing a year to settle myself. He's had a good bit going on personally with the move, settling home, new baby and then adapting to the new league as well and its demands. Seen it many times where players need that year and then you see the best of them, Lindelof the most recent example.

We're looking at at least 2 more season's I think at best and everything going smoothly to be challenging again consistently domestically and making headway with CL (QF or SF). CL is a different beast altogether and to progress a club needs consistent qualification to adapt to it.

Reactions: Carolina Red

Maticmaker

Its amazing, we still get people on here demanding instant new signings when its clear we haven't got anyone at the club who knows how to make the right ones! Ed Woodward seems to buy based on shirt sales potential and Ole is (as yet) still untested in these matters. Fergie and Gill planned one or two seasons ahead, they tried to bring through players from the juniors, and in some cases they accelerated the development of those they knew could make it Giggs, Beckham, etc. where they perceived gaps would appear they planned a campaign to get the players they wanted and made sure they would be a good 'fit' at United. We have to get back to that approach, its not about spending money, they club will always spend when necessary, but throwing good money after bad is not a good idea for anybody, never mind the Glazers.
The need for a DoF or Tech Director is now so obvious, hope we proceed with that...first!

fergieisold

We need atleast 2 excellent summer windows to compete with the top teams so I'd say we're more likely 2-3 years away from being anywhere near the elite. And it is a big if whether we have a successful transfer policy.

Kemizee

Enough talent and quality for what aspirations if I may ask?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Dan_F

We need few signings, RB, CB, CM and RW. We have good enough team, obviously we should add more quality to this team.

We need proper RB so that Dalot can play as back up. For now Young can be back up for both FB positions.

We need dominant CB who can also pass the ball and also CM to play alongside Herrera and Pogba. Matic can add depth to the squad.

Without any doubt we need RW who can take players on and add some goals.

It might be a big investment but something that should be done.
Agree with this 100%. Can’t see us doing it in one transfer window though. Ideally we need to push Dalot for the rest of the season to see if he’s going to be ready next year. I don’t think it will cost us top four and with a bit of luck it might save us 40 million.

I would go big on a centre back and right wing, and make do with a younger or cheaper signing in midfield to rotate with Matic. We are going to have to persist with Fred and hope he comes good at some point.

sam147

Offload

RB: Valencia, darmian
Agreed but to do this we need someone competent at DOF. Woodward has been briefing DOF nonsense for more than a year but it never happens. He wants to keep power. What we need are intelligent footballing people running the club. We have a huge scouting network yet how often do we find talent. Bayern and Juventus are the clubs we need to be like. Also one of the reasons substandard dross like Jones and Young stay at the club is because they're English and fans say they show 'passion'. Agree with the signings except offloading Fred, he will come good next season and we need the depth.

Ban

I don't expect us to make all the transfers needed this summer but RB and RW are an absolute must. Anything on that, like a CB and a CM is a plus. I just hope we won't another mess of a transfer window.