Iran Plane Crash and Subsequent Protests

TheReligion

Abusive
@Amar__ you were way off the mark with this.

Absolutely calamitous by Iran. They obviously tried to cover this up and upon realising they had been rumbled now decide to admit it.

On a side note are some people making out Iran are a real military power? They are still in the dark ages compared to coalition forces and can't even ensure accuracy with their missile systems when under zero aggression from elsewhere. They've killed 170+ innocent people, the majority of their own people. Great revenge for some worthless dead terrorist general the US killed.

If it wasn't so tragic you'd think it was a comedy script. Utter idiots.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
In 40 years of lows after lows, I think this is the lowest point.

Easily the worst gov't/regime in the world....surely this terrible nightmare has to end sometime?

I wish we could do a time travel and Shah would kill Khomeini in 1964 instead of sending him to exile....So wish Shah acted like the "Brutal dictator" there.

So the hard revenge was just killing more Iranians....the art the regime is master of.
Huh? In ‘88 the US shot down an Iranian airliner and killed far more civilians, yet THIS is supposedly the new low?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
In 40 years of lows after lows, I think this is the lowest point.

Easily the worst gov't/regime in the world....surely this terrible nightmare has to end sometime?

I wish we could do a time travel and Shah would kill Khomeini in 1964 instead of sending him to exile....So wish Shah acted like the "Brutal dictator" there.

So the hard revenge was just killing more Iranians....the art the regime is master of.

Maybe the west shouldnt meddle with middle eastern affairs and you wont see radical governments?

Supporting corrupt dictators in Iran never gave them a chance.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
@Amar__ you were way off the mark with this.

Absolutely calamitous by Iran. They obviously tried to cover this up and upon realising they had been rumbled now decide to admit it.

On a side note are some people making out Iran are a real military power? They are still in the dark ages compared to coalition forces and can't even ensure accuracy with their missile systems when under zero aggression from elsewhere. They've killed 170+ innocent people, the majority of their own people. Great revenge for some worthless dead terrorist general the US killed.

If it wasn't so tragic you'd think it was a comedy script. Utter idiots.
Under zero agression ? The country has been in panic mode.

Foxbatt

Huh? In ‘88 the US shot down an Iranian airliner and killed far more civilians, yet THIS is supposedly the new low?
I hope they do not promote the guy in charge of shooting down the airline unlike the US. From the news coming out of Iran, it looks like the military at one level was trying to cover it up from the politicians. They are not fools and know that they cannot cover it up as the US would have satellites covering Iran all the time. Someone in the military is going to be shot over this I think.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
No it's not. It's a complete farce. They can't even control where they fire their missiles. It's not like they were under bombardment from the air.
Hell, the plane took off from their own airport in Tehran. It's an incredible blunder.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
At least the Iranians are admitting their mistake unlike the Russians with the Malaysian jet in eastern Ukraine.

Hanks

Yes, this is a new low....because our supposed "government" killed our own people while trying to take revenge of Americans.

This is Djimi Traore FA Cup 2005 own goal sort of embarrassing and low.

I've never seen such true anger and rage among pretty much everyone on social media from people in Iran as today morning. Maybe this will be the straw the breaks the camel's back? Fingers crossed.

Hanks

The Iranian government weaponised that incident politically for years and now they’ve gone and done the same thing.
There is video of Khamenei from back after that incident in 1988, then blasting Americans basically translating: "Human error my ASS, you knew exactly what you were doing...that's not an error...An honest mistake? Get the f*** out of here"....it's gone viral in the Iranian social media community.

The Firestarter

Somehow Iran managed to turn public opinion both inside and outside against them, which wasn't the case just after Suleimani's killing.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
How does one accidentally shoot down a passenger plane?

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
How does one accidentally shoot down a passenger plane?
Well.....it’s all big and planey like....ok it’s the wrong size, travelling at the wrong height and in the wrong direction....but it’s still, like, up in the air and shit?

The Firestarter

Makes you wonder how backwards the military capabilities of Iran actually are..
They hit the Saudi oil facilities undetected and at precise locations.They are not as backwards as people think. Also they hacked a US drone a while back.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I don't think they are as advanced as people suggest either mind and this fiasco highlights it.
They certainly aren't technologically advanced as the American military, but they don't spend trillions on these things. Its a strange argument to make.

TheReligion

Abusive
They certainly aren't technologically advanced as the American military, but they don't spend trillions on these things. Its a strange argument to make.
Not sure what's strange about it. They have murdered just shy of 200 people traveling on a passenger jet which was flying from their own airport having taken off moments earlier.. ridiculous isn't it? Either their equipment is outdated and of terrible quality or their military and commanders and thick as pig shit. So much so they have no concept of what is in their own airspace and the basic planning of a missile attack (which was also an utter failure with missiles falling short and doing minimal damage). Add this to the fact they weren't under any kind of bombardment or attack and had time to plan just what they were doing.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Not sure what's strange about it. They have murdered just shy of 200 people traveling on a passenger jet which was flying from their own airport having taken off moments earlier.. ridiculous isn't it? Either their equipment is outdated and of terrible quality or their military and commanders and thick as pig shit. So much so they have no concept of what is in their own airspace and the basic planning of a missile attack (which was also an utter failure with missiles falling short and doing minimal damage). Add this to the fact they weren't under any kind of bombardment or attack and had time to plan just what they were doing.
I don't think anyone denies this is a total shambles, but they aren't the first ones and won't be the last. Even so called 'advanced' militaries have made really stupid blunders, does it mean they are all backwards?

TheReligion

Abusive
@The Firestarter @2mufc0

None of the instances you refer to are as calamitous as the above or as recent.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't think anyone denies this is a total shambles, but they aren't the first ones and won't be the last. Even so called 'advanced' militaries have made really stupid blunders, does it mean they are all backwards?
The point is we have heard some people harping on about how powerful and difficult Iran would be to deal with in conflict but this suggests the complete opposite.

They are nowhere near what some people think. They have essentially launched a dozen missiles to avenge the death of a terrorist the US (rightly or wrongly killed). Their revenge has killed nearly 200 innocent people and 0 military or US personnel. In fact they've actually killed more of their own people. And that's to go with the 50 others who were crushed in the funeral stampede.

Disgraceful.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The point is we have heard some people harping on about how powerful and difficult Iran would be to deal with in conflict but this suggests the complete opposite.

They are nowhere near what some people think. They have essentially launched a dozen missiles to avenge the death of a terrorist the US (rightly or wrongly killed). Their revenge has killed nearly 200 innocent people and 0 military or US personnel. In fact they've actually killed more of their own people. And that's to go with the 50 others who were crushed in the funeral stampede.

Disgraceful.
I don’t think anyone argued that the US wouldn’t win a short term war against Iran, the difficulty would be post war, they wouldn’t have a chance, they couldn’t do it in Afghanistan I don’t see why they could do it in Iran which some would argue would be even more difficult .

They know they are no match for the US military that’s why their latest shenanigans have been for domestic propaganda nothing more, but even that is likely to backfire with the shooting of the plane.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
You're underestimating how human error can cause catastrophic mistakes. You can imagine folk in the military are stressed as hell, under immense pressure and they've just had their boss bombed, so are super-paranoid and on edge.

Foxbatt

I am sure even the Iranians don't think they are any match for the Americans in a shooting war. But that is a very different scenario from invading a country. It is understandable that they did not close the airspace as then they are announcing the missile launch. No what went wrong is that most probably their anti missile radar system is old that they do not have the means to identify commercial air traffic.
Someone somewhere messed it up and would probably get shot by firing squad.

Hanks

Big protests in Tehran universities now...easily several hundreds of people from the limited videos I've seen.

Let's see if they spread to other cities too.

Lots of cussing and swearing at security forces on motorcycles...calling them "murderers" and "piece of shit" (my best translation).

The Firestarter

I am sure even the Iranians don't think they are any match for the Americans in a shooting war. But that is a very different scenario from invading a country. It is understandable that they did not close the airspace as then they are announcing the missile launch. No what went wrong is that most probably their anti missile radar system is old that they do not have the means to identify commercial air traffic.
Someone somewhere messed it up and would probably get shot by firing squad.
This is not the 1950s. The system SA-15 (which was used in this case )can track and identify multiple simultaneous targets. This is human error, it's simple as that.

redshaw

I doubt it was a mistake. It's a quick chance for revenge to shoot some non Iranians onboard and they took it and like always deny it but they've had to admit it and call it a mistake in front of Iranian civilians who suffered. I'm sure we'll see more attacks as revenge.