Iran v US confrontation

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
i must be out of the loop, but what is this about bombing cultural sites?
Trump has threatened to bomb sites important to “Iranian culture” if/when Iran retaliates. Nobody is sure what he meant by it.

Revan

Assumptionman
Bombing cultural sites? Isn't that what ISIS do.
YES, BUT WE WILL DO IT WITH BIGGER AND STRONGER MISSILES, ALL MADE IN USA! USA USA USA

OBAMA WAS WEAK FOR ALLOWING ISIS TO BOMB MORE CULTURAL SITES THAN US. WE HAVE THE LATEST TECHNOLOGY AND CAN BOMB MORE THAN THEM.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Trump has threatened to bomb sites important to “Iranian culture” if/when Iran retaliates. Nobody is sure what he meant by it.
Taking advice from Saudi's on how to manage historical religious/archaeological sites.

Revan

Assumptionman
Britain 'on same page' as US over Suleimani killing, says Raab
Foreign secretary says UK sympathetic to Washington and focused on restoring calm

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...thetic-to-us-over-killing-of-qassem-suleimani

The old gang is getting together!
France too: https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/202...q-security-france.html?searchResultPosition=9

"Given the recent rise in tensions in Iraq and the region, the President of the Republic highlighted his total solidarity with our allies in light of the attacks carried out in recent weeks against the coalition in Iraq," Macron's office said in a statement.

caid

Gotta say one thing - Iran is absolutely terrible at capitalizing on moments such as these to sway public opinion. I agree that things like that bounty only bolster someone like Trump and followers.
Tbh I'm kind of confused by reactions like that and the distaste for attacking a general directly. Its basically an act of war and i can certainly understand americans being disgusted at being dragged into yet another war but theres been an escalation of threats and attacks for months and the equivalent of an act of war was kind of inevitable.
Better one general, who's having daily meetings with groups actively attacking american bases, than carpet bombing civilians which seems to be the standard response. Not surprised generals in the pentagon weren't keen on it, they're used to peasants getting killed in their place. The weird rush to suggest the people driving and directing war aren't a legitimate target just seems kind of bizarre to me. Iran putting a bounty on Trumps head is pretty fantastic too imo. Better him than random Americans who have minimal responsibility for the attack

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
They love their iconography don't they.
Here’s another one, this time including Khomeini and I think Imad Mughniyah, and I’m guessing a gathering of comrades fallen during the Iran-Iraq War:

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
Tbh I'm kind of confused by reactions like that and the distaste for attacking a general directly. Its basically an act of war and i can certainly understand americans being disgusted at being dragged into yet another war but theres been an escalation of threats and attacks for months and the equivalent of an act of war was kind of inevitable.
Better one general, who's having daily meetings with groups actively attacking american bases, than carpet bombing civilians which seems to be the standard response. Not surprised generals in the pentagon weren't keen on it, they're used to peasants getting killed in their place. The weird rush to suggest the people driving and directing war aren't a legitimate target just seems kind of bizarre to me. Iran putting a bounty on Trumps head is pretty fantastic too imo. Better him than random Americans who have minimal responsibility for the attack
Because it leads to massive escalations that could lead to a war in Iran.

starman

The US needs to have a referendum on whether they wish to avoid War by handing over Trump, Bolton & Pompeo to Iran.
I am guessing it will be 327 Million - YES. 3 - NO

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
You re not focusing on the issues most people seem to have with this - most don't disagree the man was bad news and a long time aggressor who probably deserved his fate. There being limited impact on civilians is great. The issue however is with what lead to this and what the potential (likely?) fallout of it is:

-not informing congressional and senate in the need to know circle other than Trump slaves like Graham and donors at a dinner party, in other words - acting yet again like the President stands above the legislative branch, not alongside it.

-The issue of the Eric Trump tweet announcing the pending attack, defense contractor stocks jumping and the tweet then being deleted.

-POTUS misleading the Iraqi PM to mediate with Iran only to then kill the general on Iraqi soil on his way to the meeting.

-Iraq not authorizing entry into its air space. Imagine if some other country came into our airspace and started bombing someone.

-The billions of American tax dollars that will now be consumed again by what is already turning into extensive and prolonged military action - if only to protect our people and interests and abroad.

-Giving the hardliners in Iran the ammunition they need to continue to suppress the pro reform groups - amp up it's nuclear ambitions, and likely rise of more and/or new terrorist cells to execute vengeance.

Etc..etc ...Honestly the worst part about it is simply down to this - whether you voted for the guy or not - Trump ran on a platform of in essence isolationism, withdrawal of troops, focus on pumping money into infrastructure and fixing healthcare - all the while actually making the world arguably less safe and more unstable in the long run and investing nothing in the homeland. I'd love for this to all be positive in the end but it's a little hard to see after decades of military intervention with little to show for it.

This is now basically the W administration all over again. A useful I'll-go-with-it guy as POTUS, while the hawks are running the show in the background. Don't forget Bolton said he would stop being silent on social media soon. Well- he s back.

Last edited:

Denis79

As i say I understand wanting to avoid war but ... well if your going to start a war theres worse targets you could go for right?
I would also love throwing Trump and Khomeini in a ring and let them fight to the death and end it there but any action taken towards war will lead to the suffering of civilians in the end. Although I totally get your point, sadly this assassination might end in the death of too many innocent.

MDFC Manager

The US needs to have a referendum on whether they wish to avoid War by handing over Trump, Bolton & Pompeo to Iran.
I am guessing it will be 327 Million - YES. 3 - NO
I'm amazed you have so much faith in the US populace. They elected dumbass in the first place!

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Imagine being on the brink of war and still ranting on Twitter about it. Trump really is a fecking lunatic. He makes Kim Jung Ill look like a well adjusted individual.

Nucks

RT History Department

Nucks

RT History Department
Couple things that don't seem to have been touched on much here?

1. Trump called the Iraqi PM (according to the Iraqi PM) to arrange de-escalation talks after the Embassy attack. Iraq contacted Iran, Iran sent Soleimani to Iraq for the purpose of these talks. US then assassinated Soleimani.

For people who don't know, if this is as bad as it looks, this is a clear cut war crime. It's called Perfidy.

2. The Iraqi Parliament has voted to kick the US out of Iraq.

Trump may have officially lost the "Iraq War". He has handed Iraq to Iran, and by proxy, Russia. He will have potentially given ISIS the breathing room that it needs to reconstitute itself in Iraq, that is unless Iran and Russia step in to fill this void. If the US ignores this, well, that's tantamount to an act of war on the sovereignty of Iraq. Whether Iraq would take it that far, one thing would be for certain. We'd be back in 2007 era Iraq/US relations, with it open season on US troops everywhere in Iraq.

Revan

Assumptionman
Showing solidarity is going to be real fecking stupid when French and British troops are getting picked off like fish in a barrel in those Iranian mountains.
Johnson and Macron would be fine though. It isn't that they kids will be sent there, it is average Joes who will suffer. Like always!