Is Antoine Griezmann the most cringeworthy footballer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Ribery played 12 years with Bayern. Won multiple titles, 3 CL final ( won one ), should have been ballon d'Or in 2013...

Griezmann only won 1 Europa League in his club career.

How can you compare them ? Ffs
ribery is much more decorated than griezmann.
Well, they're two quality footballers I don't think of as legends. It's a pretty straightforward comparison really, one you could throw a lot of other players into. I just picked Ribery because he was the most decorated player I could think of who also never remotely became a legend in my mind. Plus they're both French.

Ribery being better doesn't make even a slight difference to my point about Griezmann.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Poor Totti!

Totti is a Roma Legend because he played there for two decades, showing loyalty to them when he could have moved to a genuine top club, while Griezmann released an hour long documentary about his decision, which no doubt pissed Atletico's fans off (as well as many Utd fans actually). He only stayed there because Atletico made him one of the highest paid players in the world at the time.

He's a footnote in footballing history, his new Netflix documentary will only be watched because it's on Netflix.

It's like me saying Gareth Bale is a footballing legend (he's not) because he was the focal point in Wales (a tiny Country) to the Euro16 semi final, getting knocked out to the eventual winners, scoring one of the greatest Champions League final goals ever (having it be the winning goal and him only just coming on to change the game) while also being instrumental in Real's other Champions League wins.

Give it 20 years and Griezmann won't be mentioned by anyone while creating all time best 11's or debating the best ever. Heck he probably wont even be remembered.
You think it was wine and roses for Totti in his 20 year career at Roma, that he was loved when he flirted with Real Madrid, or that he was never booed?

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...s-roma-exit-after-abuse-from-fans-486652.html

When Totti approached fans to ask them to stop, they booed and threw bottles at him. "It really hurt," Totti said. "I will be thinking of this very much, and in June I will evaluate."

Yesterday's Corriere della Sera quoted Totti as saying, "I don't understand it, I don't deserve it and I don't accept it. It's a huge rift and I don't know if and when it can be healed."
The past always looks better the further away we're from it.

Suedesi

Well, they're two quality footballers I don't think of as legends. It's a pretty straightforward comparison really, one you could throw a lot of other players into. I just picked Ribery because he was the most decorated player I could think of who also never remotely became a legend in my mind. Plus they're both French.

Ribery being better doesn't make even a slight difference to my point about Griezmann.
What the feck is a legend? Is Beckham a legend? Giggs? Scholes? Cantona? Keane? Schmeichel? Platini? Zidane?

Maybe we are disagreeing on semantics, but in my mind, Griezmann would go down as one of the best players of the decade.

Castia

OK mate.

France
Individual
Orders

they're mainly individual honours not trophies won, I don’t see your point.

Half of those are pretty shite as well let’s be honest. Most of them are third place finishes or player of the month :lol:

We’re talking legends here.....bring up Zidane’s page or Ronaldo’s where they’ve actually won real things and compare them.

A player like Juan Mata has won 10+ more than Griezmann including a World Cup, European Championship, Champions League multiple Premier League titles......Mata isnt exactly a legendary figure either.

Griezmann is a very good player, he’s wont be a legend though.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
OK mate.

France
Individual
Orders
You could probably have left out "FIFA World Cup Fantasy McDonald's Overall Eleven". I'm not sure the number of fantasy football obsessives who will remember Griezmann's point scoring exploits for generations to come is really large enough to carry much sway in this debate.

Suedesi

Half of those are pretty shite as well let’s be honest. Most of them are third place finishes or player of the month :lol:

We’re talking legends here.....bring up Zidane’s page or Ronaldo’s where they’ve actually won real things and compare them.

A player like Juan Mata has won 10+ more than Griezmann including a World Cup, European Championship, Champions League multiple Premier League titles......Mata isnt exactly a legendary figure either.

Mata was never a deciding player for Spain let's get real. Whatever he's won for La Selecion he's won because of Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol, Casillas, Cesc, Ramos, Silva etc. In fact Mata, not being part of the national team doesn't really affect the outcome of the 2008, 2010, 2012 cups. And for the record, Mata has never won the Premier League, not that it matters much, but just confirms you're factually incorrect.

Griezmann has been one the key players for France, both at the World Cup and the Euros - that's indisputable. The fact that's he's one of the best players in La Liga - a league that regularly wipes the floor with the PL - speaks volumes. I guess Barcelona willing to pay the release clause of €100 million for him were just mugs.

Last edited:

Suedesi

You could probably have left out "FIFA World Cup Fantasy McDonald's Overall Eleven". I'm not sure the number of fantasy football obsessives who will remember Griezmann's point scoring exploits for generations to come is really large enough to carry much sway in this debate.
I could have, but I didn't.

Castia

Mata was never a deciding player for Spain let's get real. Whatever he's won for La Selecion he's won because of Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol, Casillas, Cesc, Ramos, Silva etc. In fact Mata, not being part of the national team doesn't really affect the outcome of the 2008, 2010, 2012 cups.

Griezmann has been one the key players for France, both at the World Cup and the Euros - that's indisputable. The fact that's he's one of the best players in La Liga - a league that regularly wipes the floor with the PL - speaks volumes.

I’ve never argued about Griezmann being a good player, he’s very good but he’s not legendary that was my point. I said in my first post that he needs to win more at club level to reach legendary status in my opinion.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
People confuse “legend” with “all-timer”. Nobody is arguing that Griezmann has a case to be in an all time XI alongside Ronaldo and Messi. The argument is whether or not he is one of the best players of his generation. He undeniably is. If you are one of the best players of your generation, you are a legend (in my opinion).

I also consider players like Del Piero, Totti, Shevchenko, Cantona, Giggs and Scholes legends.

Suedesi

People confuse “legend” with “all-timer”. Nobody is arguing that Griezmann has a case to be in an all time XI alongside Ronaldo and Messi. The argument is whether or not he is one of the best players of his generation. He undeniably is. If you are one of the best players of your generation, you are a legend (in my opinion).

I also consider players like Del Piero, Totti, Shevchenko, Cantona, Giggs and Scholes legends.
Agreed.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona

Zidane won 3 leagues in 10 seasons at Juve and Real Madrid, 1 UCL to show at club level.

Ronaldo won 2 important leagues, no UCL titles (not even a final), 1 Cup and a Cup Winner's Cup.

Honestly, if you want to sell Griezmann as an underachiever just because he plays for Atletico, pitting him against players that did play for European juggernauts and have one or two titles more than him shows how important colective trophies are.

lawliet354

A legend? He's done sweet feck all apart from being part of a team that would've still won the world cup without him.

Still a self obsessed little twat I see.
I've seen some bullshit spouted in this forum but this is surely in the top 3. That France team won't function without Griezmann

Last edited:

manutddjw

Reminds me of Lingard and Pogba with his antics. Not something I’m into, but they’re having fun so good for them let them enjoy their lives.

I agree with the Ronaldo sentiments. He’s cringeworthy. 2 Champions League finals. One he does nothing of note until he gets the 4th goal and takes his shirt off like he just had a god like game. And then another after his team wins he needs to talk about how sad he is.

Jib

I've seen some bullshit spouted in this forum but this is surely in the top 3. That France team won't function without Griezmann
Personnally I would like to see :

----------------------Mbappé--------------------------
Martial-------------Pogba----------------Dembélé
----------------Kante----------Tolisso---------------------
Hernandez----Umtiti-----Varane-------Pavard
---------------------------Lloris-------------------------------

I don't know if they could win the world cup with this team but :drool:.

lawliet354

Personnally I would like to see :

----------------------Mbappé--------------------------
Martial-------------Pogba----------------Dembélé
----------------Kante----------Tolisso---------------------
Hernandez----Umtiti-----Varane-------Pavard
---------------------------Lloris-------------------------------

I don't know if they could win the world cup with this team but :drool:.
Exciting for sure, but all hypothetical, the only fact is France won the WC with Griezmann as a key player, alongside Mbappe, Kante, Varane and Pogba.

RochaRoja

You don’t think Gordon Banks is a legend? Bobby Moore?

The World Cup is the biggest trophy in football. Being a star player in a World Cup winning team makes a huge difference.

King.of.Red

Indeed, I do think he is cringeworthy especially his L celebration, I dont like it. But, I still like him as footballer. Amazing player

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The way I see it Griezmann is in the Tigana-Giresse bracket where people that actually follow football rate them highly but the rest barely know who they are. And no France wouldn't have won the WC without him, he directly contributed to 6 goals that's 13 goals or assists in major tournaments.

Jib

The way I see it Griezmann is in the Tigana-Giresse bracket where people that actually follow football rate them highly but the rest barely know who they are. And no France wouldn't have won the WC without him, he directly contributed to 6 goals that's 13 goals or assists in major tournaments.
Half on penalty or set pieces tbf.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Not arguing Griezmann is a very good player because he is. I don't remember him being great - I don't think France were all that great but turned it on when it mattered at the World Cup though. Griezmann scored 3 or 4 penalties but wasn't all that great was he?

pacifictheme

Do they not count as goals or assists then?

Thr caf turned against griezmann when he chose to stay at atletico madrid instead of coming to us for thr money. Yet the caf worships ronaldo for saying he was a slave and fecking off to madrid. Funny how stuff works.

JPRouve

Scout
Which are direct contributions and at the exception of a couple of games, he has been excellent in game too.

JPRouve

Scout
Not arguing Griezmann is a very good player because he is. I don't remember him being great at the World Cup though and scored a few penalties.
Well he was, he played his part in a team victory, he was the main cog in transition and contributed to the balance of the team.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Well he was, he played his part in a team victory, he was the main cog in transition and contributed to the balance of the team.
A team that were quite average for the majority of the tournament and turned it on when it mattered. Anyway not arguing that Griezmann is a great player just don't think he was great at the WC.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Exactly. He is just a fantastic team player, wish we signed him last year. His work rate, technical ability, set pieces are just brilliant.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s a top tier player.

Must be sour grapes in this thread for him turning us down because he was absolutely a major wanking point on this forum for a good few years.

JPRouve

Scout
Nope. While Pogba had a great World cup too, the main cog in transition was Griezmann, he was the one initiating the pressing, covering on the entire width and he was the go to player when a quick counter attack wasn't possible.

Canagel

He’s a top tier player.

Must be sour grapes in this thread for him turning us down because he was absolutely a major wanking point on this forum for a good few years.
He wouldn't have fitted here anyway. We don't play 2 man midfield to utilize Pogbas skillset and Griezman isn't a RW but second striker so it would've been disaster in the end. It was a bullet dodged.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
He wouldn't have fitted here anyway. We don't play 2 man midfield to utilize Pogbas skillset and Griezman isn't a RW but second striker so it would've been disaster in the end. It was a bullet dodged.
We are playing with false 9 or whatever role Lingard, Mata played. There is no better fit than Grienzmann. He works as hard as anyone, his technical skill is top class. He also creates and scores lot of goals.

Jib

Nope. While Pogba had a great World cup too, the main cog in transition was Griezmann, he was the one initiating the pressing, covering on the entire width and he was the go to player when a quick counter attack wasn't possible.
My fault. I thought you were talking about attacking transition. It right that Griezmann was the one initiating the pressing.

I still think that except for his defensive work as SS/AM, he wasn't that good in the world cup while in 2016 he was probably our best player on the KO stage ( the final aside )

Canagel

We are playing with false 9 or whatever role Lingard, Mata played. There is no better fit than Grienzmann. He works as hard as anyone, his technical skill is top class. He also creates and scores lot of goals.
It's not always possible to play the false 9. At home especially we need width and the money should always have gone into a RW which is still yet to happen. Plus griezmann has always played better off a target man ie Giroud, Costa, Torres , Mandzukic etc . It should also be noted that France in their first world cup game played a front three of griezmann flanked by dembele and mbappe and it didn't work so deschamps switched it back to 4-2-3-1/442 with Giroud leading the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.