Is Daniel James set to become our best signing since RVP?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
The idea we haven't signed a good player since RVP is very wrong. Sure some havent worked out during their whole spell but there's at least half a dozen players who've been as good as James is.

We forget that RVP only had one good season. It's really unfair to treat him as a god while saying Lukaku, Fellaini, Ibra etc weren't good at all despite all of them having at least one decent season.

In terms of value though, James has been simply great. Very shrewd signing.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I actually prefer AWB in terms of long term value, but James is playing very well for us. Next summer if we manage to bring an actual right winger, the manager will have some good balanced options and James might not always be a clear choice, so I want to see how he fares over the whole season.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm happy that we signed him and hopeful that he will be a good signing but he hasn't been as good as some seem to pretend, like everyone else he has been useless at times and showed his current limitations.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Calm down. Give him time. As of now Martial and Rashford are better than him out of our front three. Let him develop.

Alabaster Codify7

I'm happy that we signed and hopeful that he will be a good signing but he hasn't been as good as some seem to pretend, like everyone else he has been useless at times and showed his current limitations.

This.
Likeable kid and a hard worker but visibly he's extremely limited as a player. This isn't a big problem but I can't be arsed seeing people claiming he looks absolutely incredible when he just looks a useful attacking addition with a great work ethic.

RedCurry

Don’t know what his ceiling is. But I think he has shades of Park in the way he works tirelessly for the team and is efficient in the attack. Age is on his side so if he adds consistent goals to his game, then yes he would be a major find for us.

Inter Yer Nan

I'm very happy with all three summer signings from a performance and attitude standpoint. James seems to have something extra about him, something intangible that's invaluable.

amolbhatia50k

I'm happy that we signed him and hopeful that he will be a good signing but he hasn't been as good as some seem to pretend, like everyone else he has been useless at times and showed his current limitations.
Agree. His peformances are being overstated.

amolbhatia50k

The idea we haven't signed a good player since RVP is very wrong. Sure some havent worked out during their whole spell but there's at least half a dozen players who've been as good as James is.

We forget that RVP only had one good season. It's really unfair to treat him as a god while saying Lukaku, Fellaini, Ibra etc weren't good at all despite all of them having at least one decent season.

Blind - very good signing. Herrera was for me a good addition as well.

Acole9

Outstanding
Nope that's Ibrahimovic, he was great for us. Classic of this forum to overhype a young player.

Shark

@NotShark
This.
Likeable kid and a hard worker but visibly he's extremely limited as a player. This isn't a big problem but I can't be arsed seeing people claiming he looks absolutely incredible when he just looks a useful attacking addition with a great work ethic.
What does extremely limited even mean? He’s limited in terms of what?

It’s like when players get the lazy tag and then even when they work hard, they get called lazy.

billybee99

Impressed by what we're getting from him so far..for 15 million:

1. Can play left wing.
2. Can play right wing.
3. Can play in the middle.
4. Wonderkid.
5. Full-time Welsh international.
6. Great pro. Very determined.
7. Unbelievable pace.
8. Unbelievable stamina.
9. Unbelievable fitness.

If he turns out to be a world class player, should be the best signing ever made in modern football.
Yeah no hyperbole in this post.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

It’s like when players get the lazy tag and then even when they work hard, they get called lazy.
I wouldn't use the term extremely limited because it sounds definitive when James is still a developing player and should be developing in the next few years. But he struggles when tightly marked, he isn't really good in tight space, in attack his off the ball game isn't as good as it should be and he really struggle when opponents get physical. The one big negative is that he is a diver and one of the worst I have seen in recent years.

Now all of these things can be fixed, none of them are surprising, at the exception of diving.

mu4c_20le

Best bargain signing since Park for 4m. Ole found value in the market; SAF would be proud.

Basa1987

Please. Let him have a good full season before doing the usual hype up and tear down.

Not saying that he's not a good signing, but let's just hold our horses for a bit.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
James is living proof that there is still value in this market.

Idxomer

Look at Martial's 1st season which was undoubtedly great for a teenager producing 17 goals and 11 assists in a struggling attack that was barely able to create anything.

He's been so inconsistent though in the last 3 seasons for various reasons that after 4 years at the club, it's difficult to say how good he's been as a signing.

So yes after only 2 and half months at the club, it's too early to pass any judgments on how good of a signing James has been.

billybee99

Jesus wept. He is weeping as we speak.

Alabaster Codify7

He's fast and works hard.

That's it. He isn't tricky or particularly skilful, his entire game is based on his endless running and speed which is a great weapon to have but it is his be-all and end all. At the moment, at least.

Personally I think defenders are already figuring him out. He doesn't find himself in direct foot races with defenders as often as he did originally. Hopefully he starts expanding his game a bit.

ForeverRoma93

Supports
A.S. Roma
He's made a good start but don't hype him too much. Rashford had a better start to his career in my opinion but he's been inconsistent and poor for a while. If those 2 and Martial can be consistently good, then hopefully you'd see a style football that is part of United DNA in terms of a Lacey counter attack.

A lot is down to the players to perform consistently well.

RedIan

He’s made a great start, his hunger is his biggest asset followed by his pace.... i just wish a few more had the same desire. Martial would be immense if he had it.. he doesn't but probably has more talent. You need both to be world class.

All 3 of oles signings have been great, we just desperately need another 3 in January.

Handré1990

He’s done a great job if you take expectations into account. Very happy we’ve got him. He isn’t the answer to our prayers though. That he’s a starter says more about the current quality of our squad, imo. Any of our successful years he’d be eased into it, probably have about the same minutes as Greenwood so far, maybe a little more.

What he’s good at he does really well, but yeah, I think we should aim higher, and hope Ole doesn’t think we have a nailed on starter. He could reach that level, of course, but he isn’t there yet. If he keeps up this productivity over the course of the season I’ll be very happy.

Gator Nate

He's been an absolute bargain. I think his pace allows a front three of Rashford-Martial-James to be effective. Take any one of them out and you've seen what we don't have to offer. Together, they are pretty solid. He's made some nice crosses, too, especially yesterday, it wasn't just the one on the assist.

Okey

Erm...over the top much? He's been better than expected, but would hardly sniff a start in a top quality team. Good signing no doubt. We need more than a first XI. And while we're at it, I wonder why we're not in for Jarrod Bowen. Basically a left footed Daniel James on the opposite wing, with an eye for goal. Wouldn't hurt having those 2 pure wingers in the squad, even if as back up to higher quality starters like Sancho (yes, I dream...)

Irwin99

He's impressed me way more than I thought he would but it's still probably a bit too early. I will say though that I think he could be the best of our three signings. Maguire looked fantastic in his first 3 or 4 games but his form seems to have dropped a bit (it's hardly a catastrophic drop in form but noticeable) and AWB for all his brilliance defensively needs to work on his attacking play and his passing.

Champagne Football

The way he hit the ground running shows there's something about him.

It's too early to get carried away but he looks like a gem in the making.

If Martial can stay fit, James can keep improving, AWB can maintain his amazingness, then they'll be our best 3 signings since we bought RVP. Maguire up there too

The top 5 signings since RVP IMO - (If they stay consistent and fit)
1. AWB, 2. Martial, 3.James, 4. Maguire, 5. Zlatan

Handré1990

Erm...over the top much? He's been better than expected, but would hardly sniff a start in a top quality team. Good signing no doubt. We need more than a first XI. And while we're at it, I wonder why we're not in for Jarrod Bowen. Basically a left footed Daniel James on the opposite wing, with an eye for goal. Wouldn't hurt having those 2 pure wingers in the squad, even if as back up to higher quality starters like Sancho (yes, I dream...)
James is left footed.

amolbhatia50k

Definitely needs to work on his ability in tight spaces. Excels when there's space and less so in congested areas a result. Big teams have to deal with the latter whereas the former is a small teams forte.

Extremely limited is harsh. But he has lots of things to work on. At the same time, he's a good young footballer for sure

Mr PG

AWB is a better signing than James, but I am pleasantly surprised by him considering how 'cheap' he was.

Maguire clearly overpriced, he's decent but no where near £80M decent.
Been very good. Creates lots of chances and can score a lot if he’s played closer to goal. I think he can be a better striker than Rashford as his low center of gravity allows him to slalom between defenders.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Way too early to say. So far great first touch (it’s a luxury commodity in this team now a days), fantastic crosses, quick as feck, can play either wing (actually has assists from the right one like an actual winger) and great attitude.
Also probably doesn’t have wet dreams about Real Madrid so another bonus.

If he keeps doing all of the above then yes this might go down as the best transfer for value in history when you adjust for inflation etc