Is football cancelled for the next week? | Man United-Leeds & Chelsea-Liverpool postponed

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Fair enough, was a long time ago! I don't recall being annoyed at missing games.

I was annoyed that my girlfriend wanted me to go and sign a book of rememberance which I refused to do. I certainly remember that argument!
Hmm.
Some lower league matches were moved from the day of the funeral but there were no PL fixtures planned
Scotland beat Belarus 4-1 the day after the funeral on the Sunday

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
You wonder how they'll fit in the cancelled games in an already packed schedule.

Also, the European teams will still have to play next week I'd assume

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Because the Queen has nothing to do with football. What does pausing the league achieve? Why sports? I presume every other person has to go to their regular job? It's bit archaic, isn't it? Forced mourning seems very odd to me.
Exactly. We still have to go to work so why should millionaire footballers get time off. Makes no sense. Keeping sports on will at least keep people occupied and busy rather then bein depressed all weekend.

BaguetteBoy

I understand England national team game might be cancel or rescheduled. But EPL should go ahead. Like every walk of life will continue working as usual. I’m not expected to get 10 days off. England cannot afford 10 days off atm economically we should keep going

Reactions: Cheimoon

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Because the Queen has nothing to do with football. What does pausing the league achieve? Why sports? I presume every other person has to go to their regular job? It's bit archaic, isn't it? Forced mourning seems very odd to me.
It's incredibly archaic of course, everything about the monarchy is.

What does it achieve? It's a show of respect I guess. Football is entertainment, I would imagine the opera, plays, concerts and other such events will also be cancelled for a few days. Sadly I'll still have to go to work.

There are tons of people though who genuinely do care about this as mad as that may seem to you or I. We had a day off work for the queens grandsons wedding in the UK ffs.

The UK is a strange place but I thought we all knew that.

Wayne's World

Surely they aren't going to play next weekend either If the funeral is on the Saturday? Meaning the Premier League won't be back for a month since the International break is straight after

MUnchies

Why cancel games? Her life should be celebrated instead of a week of mourning instead. She was 96 and a lot of people don't and won't live to see that age, it's a blessing.

Flying_Heckfish

I'm English and on the list of things I care about, United are up near the top, whereas the monarchy are very much down at the bottom.

It's not only the foreign fans here who think this way, though of course we have many of them here, and that's part of what makes this forum great.

Throwing insults around because someone doesn't support your particular ideology is immature and unwelcome. By all means debate it, but let's try to stay classy.

As I said elsewhere, it's sad she died on a human level - but she had a good innings, and this was coming, we knew well before Christmas. She wasn't murdered, or died young, it's not a shock.

2 mins silence before games should be sufficient, there will be plenty of coverage on TV if you want to reminisce about it.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Ridiculous decision but some of the do-gooders will be here shortly to tell us it's a momentous event or whatever the hell they've been made to believe.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Why cancel games? Her life should be celebrated instead of a week of mourning instead. She was 96 and a lot of people don't and won't live to see that age, it's a blessing.
My thoughts exactly.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
My Mrs works at a bookies, she's been told not to go in tomorrow cause there's no races on. Wouldn't be surprised if more sports do the same thing.

Rightnr

Some of the posts on here are an utter disgrace.
Obviously no idea about history, respect or have any brains.

I hope the mods come down hard on them but no doubt they’ll give a warning and let these idiots post again
Dear, oh, dear.

BerryBerryShrew

I understand England national team game might be cancel or rescheduled. But EPL should go ahead. Like every walk of life will continue working as usual. I’m not expected to get 10 days off. England cannot afford 10 days off atm economically we should keep going
Surely that would be more difficult to achieve if England are pencilled in to play a nation that was not part of the Commonwealth. Why would Italy (for example) agree to cancel a game just cos a figurehead of the opposition died?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I'm English and on the list of things I care about, United are up near the top, whereas the monarchy are very much down at the bottom.

It's not only the foreign fans here who think this way, though of course we have many of them here, and that's part of what makes this forum great.

Throwing insults around because someone doesn't support your particular ideology is immature and unwelcome. By all means debate it, but let's try to stay classy.

As I said elsewhere, it's sad she died on a human level - but she had a good innings, and this was coming, we knew well before Christmas. She wasn't murdered, or died young, it's not a shock.

2 mins silence before games should be sufficient, there will be plenty of coverage on TV if you want to reminisce about it.
All this.

I'm British and I really don't see the need to be over the top with this. Celebrate her life for those who are royalists. Show her proper respect, but you know, life goes on. She has a great innings and a very privileged existence.

Josep Dowling

I think Trevor Sinclair may have cancelled his career indefinitely with his most recent tweet. Amazing he found a correlation between racism and the Queen dying.

Judas

Open to offers
I don't really get taking away entertainment from people shows any real respect. Shut down work places and pay people to be on holiday, that would get a better reaction.

Withnail

It's incredibly archaic of course, everything about the monarchy is.

What does it achieve? It's a show of respect I guess. Football is entertainment, I would imagine the opera, plays, concerts and other such events will also be cancelled for a few days. Sadly I'll still have to go to work.

There are tons of people though who genuinely do care about this as mad as that may seem to you or I. We had a day off work for the queens grandsons wedding in the UK ffs.

The UK is a strange place but I thought we all knew that.
Well yeah but I've never lived there. There's literally no Irish person who would ever warrant that level of mourning so I just can't get my head around it. I suppose we also could have a different view of mourning. Funeral's are sad but also a bit of party and a celebration of their life and if you are actually in mourning distractions area needed so the idea of stopping fun activities and distractions out of deference to someone who's gone doesn't make any sense to me.

TsuWave

I can't believe you failed to grasp my point. I am neither overly patriotic nor aghast at the sight of a pride flag. I'm simply pointing out the hyposlcrisy of people that chide others for feeling kinship with flags when they do that very thing themselves, as long is it is they flag they like. People are just so partisan and treat people they disagree with as untermensch.

Why can't you just accept some people care about the monarchy, others may not without resorting to calling them names or treating them as stupid or evil?
You saw a post calling someone a “flag shagger” in jest and you started waffling.

There was no hypocrisy to be found, unless you were to draw from that specific poster’s post history - you just used that post as a segue to start doing whataboutism about Pride and BLM. Weird guy.

Rightnr

Do we still get to play our mid-week game next week?

redshaw

Hey, someone randomly called me a flag shagger. I don't even know if that's a bad enough insult to report or not!

I get emotions are running high though so no report from me, lots or people seemingly very sad or delirious with joy.
Do you have an onlyfans?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Well yeah but I've never lived there. There's literally no Irish person who would ever warrant that level of mourning so I just can't get my head around it. I suppose we also could have a different view of mourning. Funeral's are sad but also a bit of party and a celebration of their life and if you are actually in mourning distractions area needed so the idea of stopping fun activities and distractions out of deference to someone who's gone doesn't make any sense to me.
I work with a lady who was in tears earlier. I think it's odd but I swear to god its real and she's not alone.

Wait until Sir David Attenbourough goes, 80% the UK will be a mess (and the other 20% are cnuts).

fps

No one warrants the level of mourning the media is going to try and force on us over the next week or so.

BerryBerryShrew

Am I the only one who sees forced mourning as counter productive anyway? From what I can tell, most people dislike the monarchy but in spite of it didn't actively dislike her personally. Basically, if a minutes silence was held for her, it would be impeccably observed by all Brits but only a few Royal aficionados would actually sob or feel overly emotional.

If you start shoving mourning down people's throats, they might actually start to dislike her rather than have an attitude of pleasant neutrality toward her as most people do. Cancelling football and trying to strong arm the populace into caring kind of taints her memory if anything.