g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Is football cancelled for the next week? | Man United-Leeds & Chelsea-Liverpool postponed

Herman Toothrot

A lot of these kids have just celebrated her Jubilee, which my daughters school made a pretty big deal of. Young kids tend to get upset if people die, especially if they haven't known a close relative pass away.

Not sure why it's a big deal that some kids might be upset by it.
They'll just have to stay strong and pull through it like we did Kurt Cobain, Matt Busby and Princess Di. What a traumatic couple of years we had back then.

I think this is a good point:

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Best argument for the monarchy is two words - President Truss
Well then it's a bad argument because Liz Truss has never been elected to anything by the British electorate as a whole and probably never will be. The monarchy is an abomination loved only by those who enjoy their preferential position in the tribal and class system it represents and underpins. Taking away the football so the plebs can mourn without interruption (but no bank holiday) just about sums it up.

royalewithcheese2006

Supports
A Director of Football
Nonsensical decision and reflective of the utter joke this country is at times.
They're going to make teams play 3 days a week sometime, aren't they? No need to worry about how this might affect clubs with smaller squads as long as the FA get the moral high ground.
Maybe I can't relate to how big a loss this is in the UK since I live in India (although we're supposed to have a 1 day national mourning too:confused:) but honestly this seems ridiculous now that other sports are going ahead as planned in the UK.

Dannn411

Cricket, another pretty upper class sport, walked back its decision to postpone. Hopefully the FA will do so. It is arguably better to have the entire footballing community honour her up and down the country while being broadcasted to a global audience than to shut everything down. No sport does a better job of communicating the feeling of a country than football does simply because there's more people watching football than any other sport.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
They'll just have to stay strong and pull through it like we did Kurt Cobain, Matt Busby and Princess Di. What a traumatic couple of years we had back then.

As the Mail and Telegraph run the UK perhaps it's better not to upset the overlords. Mind control.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

If this was their thinking, they could've just waited for Rugby and Cricket to go ahead and then used that as cover to say: 'We're going ahead too.'

We know these people. We've heard them speak. They just wanted to make the biggest splash and to be seen to be doing the most and doing it first. They just assumed everyone else would roll in behind them. Like when they made the dumb decision to close the transfer window before the rest of Europe. Like a number of their other stupid decisions.

This lot always goes big on what they think looks good. However, they're so out of touch they've got no idea what looks good.

Haha, what a joke of a decision, especially in the light of the upcoming schedule until the World Cup. Utter madness.
Literally flogging the players.

Shai-Hulud

Terrible decision.

And it basically means we threw away 3 points yesterday for no reason. Could have played our best players if we'd known there'd be no game at the weekend.

always_hoping

Would have made more sense to call matches off the day she died and the day of her funeral than all matches in all tiers off this weekend.

Will be some amount of cash lost with those that had hotels and flights booked. Some might be lucky enough to cancel accommodation.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Like the queen ever followed football anyway. I could see the horse racing and any other horsey sport being called off but football? Feckin eejits.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
They'll defo be regretting it now. I think they assumed all sports would follow suit.

salfordlad

Getting riled up because football matches are postponed shows how shallow and meaningless your life is.

hobbers

Spot on that cricket and rugby dont postpone and face no backlash, the sports of the middle classes.

But woe betide any working class oik kicking a ball or watching one getting kicked about this weekend. The press will eat them alive.

RedStarUnited

Would have made more sense to call matches off the day she died and the day of her funeral than all matches in all tiers off this weekend.

Will be some amount of cash lost with those that had hotels and flights booked. Some might be lucky enough to cancel accommodation.
There are loads of people who live off the economy created by football. In a time when cost of living so high, this was a very very bad decision made by emotion and not by logic.

And the people who made this decision are not the ones who will suffer the consequences of it.

NewYorkRed

Here is an article issued only last year that highlights just some her greatest achievements Queen Elizabeth II - Greatest Achievements - Hattons of London

She inherited a life of priviledge, but not through her choosing, and used it in a way to make millions of people's lives better across the world. She was not fame or power hungry - she was a decent person in many respects.
:lol: Go read some colonial history mate, ask the people from the indian subcontinent if she made their life better. Posts like this make me believe that we aren’t the only country dumb enough to elect Trump, he would’ve won anywhere because people literally will believe anything they’re told/read on the internet.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

How much power do they have? How would they actually hurt the PL? Genuine question. Football is too big surely to be scared of tabloid journalism.

ForeverRed1

While I get it’s sad the queen has passed and we should pay our respects in one way or another, you can’t help but feel for all the people who booked the day the fixture list came out, booked time off work, booked hotels, travel plans..

People fly from all over the world to watch the football, people save for a long time to afford it. It will be many peoples first time at old Trafford or other stadiums.

others won’t be able to make the re-match. With the World Cup this year and everything that’s happened over the last couple years.. we have to pay our respects but not by stopping everything. It’s not helping the every day folk and those already struggling.

studs

But if football wasn't cancelled who would they get to line the streets? It would look bad if the streets were empty so let's cancel football.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
For me, nothing good can come from politicising the Head of State.
I agree in the sense that "President Truss" would be a horrible idea.

However, there's arguably something to be said for the model used by several countries today, i.e. where the "president" is a figurehead with a limited tenure who commands a certain (but again limited) respect but who is not idolized and venerated (usually for no good reason) by the masses.

There aren't many truly convincing arguments for monarchy, are there? It's mainly about it being tradition at this stage. And - yes - that is (kind of, potentially) an argument in itself. But hardly a convincing one.

(Yeah - CE material, of course, sorry.)

Raven

The FA should be forced to reimburse any and all costs incurred by fans as a result of this cancellation. Morons.