Is Fred the worst regular starter for United in living memory?

Abraxas

He's had a really poor start to the season, but no, he's nowhere near the worst regular starter in recent memory.

He seems to be going through a patch of inconsistency in his play and comical blunders. But generally he has been consistent for a few seasons so I don't think it's fair to characterise him based on this last few games.

Trophy Room

He was moderately better in the second half because Traore wore himself out but let's be honest, Fred looked a boy amongst men pretty much the duration. At the very least he isn't nearly physical enough to play in 2 man midfield in this league where he's expected to defend.
Traore is a physical freak of nature - any will struggle when he runs like that mate. Fred is very good if he has someone to support him - Pogba is not that man.

Trequarista10

You can excuse him being dribbled past and out muscled defensively as it's a weakness of his. However, every game he gives the ball away needlessly several times, and he doesn't offer enough on the ball anyway. The second part doesn't matter if he's playing as a pressing midfielder or a holding midfielder, either way he lacks the passing ability that a a midfielder needs at this level.

el3mel

Not even close, WTF ?

Did you watch our main starters in LVG's second year ? Or even Ole's first full season ?

NotQuiteManc

He would be a really useful squad options, but like the upgrades on the other positions, the CM/DM positions need some upgrading, or two.

Oaencha

I don’t think Fred is good enough for us but he’s a long, long way from being our worst starter in recent memory.

I could reel off a long list of poor players but even just in central midfield we have had Djemba-Djemba, Kleberson, Miller and Cleverley.

Gandalf

I am not sure what to make of him right now but there seems to be a correlation between his performances and his partner. The blend of Fred and McTominay whilst not world class seems to just work and we are tough to break down with them together but whereas I feel McTominay has enough in his locker and is still developing to where he is worth a place in the side regardless I always feel a sense of panic at the thought of Fred paired with anyone else. Stick him next to Matic and his partner is too slow to bail him out, stick him with Pogba and we all know Pogba is not there to do the dirty work and why should he be and so Fred is going to be on an island and that magnifies everything bad about his game. I don't think he is our worst starter but we won't be winning trophies regularly until he is a rotational option used sparingly and not starting every week.

Drainy

People keep talking about him doing the job of multiple men, but his mistakes came from him being unable to pass the ball, or receive the ball under pressure :lol:
Basically they are blaming Pogba, in spite of the fact Pogba actually played well with in and out of possession today.

Bocca9978

Yes.
I’m not even going to read this thread and everyone’s arguments.
Yes, he is.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Basically they are blaming Pogba, in spite of the fact Pogba actually played well with in and out of possession today.
Exactly. We all know Pogba's strengths and weaknesses, but at least his strengths are world class.
Nobody can say what Fred does well other than run a lot, try really hard & not shy away - it's admirable but it's not good enough for a Manchester midfielder.

RepardReece

Very harsh discussion.

He was terrible today there's no doubt about that but he's literally the only midfielder. Pogba is a major liability playing that role defensively and Bruno is so far up the pitch he may as well be a striker. We got outrun in midfield because of this all game long.

That being said, getting very annoyed with Ole's refusal to play VDB. Surely can't be worse than the state of that today.

eire-red

We've had a lot under Moyes, Mourinho and LVG. In a squad that has the talent it currently has, and is expected to push for a title, then yes I think he's right up there. Both Fred and James are the glaring weaknesses at the moment.

stevoc

No he's not the worst Lingard during some of his bad seasons is down there but he also had decent seasons.

For me Darmian has to be the worst regular in my 30 years watching United. Fred is no where near as bad as him usually.

He is not suited to be anchor but come on mate. Look at his skill set. Is he really a United CM starter? He doesn’t even pass the eye test.
Judging from some of Fred's passing this season I think Fred needs an eye test.

RetroStu

James?, Bebe?, Obertan?.

As bad as Fred was today, and boy was he bad, he was literally on his own most of the game.
So we had a pretty poor and cluless player on his own in the 'engine room' area of the pitch, away from home.

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
People have short memories.

He was a disaster today, especially in the first half but he also had good games in the past.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Has Sanchez been mentioned yet? He was so bad, James came in and was an upgrade in his first season.

Blind wasn't even the worst starter during his stint with us.
Blind was quite good. As a CDM he played nice simple passes and intercepted without tackling but by reading the game. But then Shaw got injured and he started playing FB, still quite good much better than Young, but as a CB he wasn’t built for that in this league.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
fred is a limited midfielder.. but he isn't that bad.. under a top manager he would look way above average.

Lee565

Would it not make sense to try and get rid of fred for 25-30 million if it meant that we replace him with a proper defensive midfielder. He would be no real loss and with a proper defensive midfielder in the side means we can use pogba or even van der beek in midfield, where as if we brought a defensive midfielder what use would fred be.

Judas

Open to offers
It's not a surprise this sort of thing gets discussed when Ole uses him like he did today. Poor fella was doomed before the game started.

I can't be bothered to join in slagging him off, I've said how watching him makes me sad, think that'll do.

SungSam7

James?, Bebe?, Obertan?.

As bad as Fred was today, and boy was he bad, he was literally on his own most of the game.
So we had a pretty poor and cluless player on his own in the 'engine room' area of the pitch, away from home.
Have you read the title, neither of 3 you mentioned were ever consistent starters.

CloneMC16

People expecting Fred to deal with Traore is unfair. The guy is huge and even shrugged off challenges from AWB. Fred was basically playing midfield on his own again. Pogba isn't a pivot player and Bruno is basically playing as a second striker. Ole is setting him up to fail and it's infuriating to watch.

Even the best CDM in the world is going to struggle with no support and the whole team playing poorly.

To answer your question; no.

Tallis

Depends how long you’ve been alive. For me, no.
Agreed. Anyone who has been alive for 4-5 years would have seen late career Valencia, Young, Alexi Sanchez, Eric Bailly for long parts of his career and many more.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I think he was given no protection today. Was horrible on the ball though.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I don't know what sort of system he used to play in for his previous team. Presumably a midfield 3 with a proper defensive guy in there too?

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Although I don't rate him highly, he was sent out to die today. No help from anyone in midfield. They were coming at him from all angles.

Oaencha

Cleverley was considered a youngster with promise(albeit wrongly).

Fred is........ Fred.
It doesn’t matter if he was considered a youngster or not. The original question was whether Fred is the worst starter in recent memory, and he clearly isn’t.

£48m makes me wince but Fred would probably be decent for the right side. He just doesn’t work in any variation of our tactics or consistently with any of our players.