Is Garnacho about to be "Cavanied"? | No

Barthez

I regularly buy Gorilla Glue because it’s dam strong glue for fixing things. In fact it’s best I’ve ever bought. Its strength is optimised by its logo which is a prominent picture of a Gorilla. Gorillas have long been associated with brutal Strength so this utter nonsensical nonsense needs to stop now.

Walters_19_MuFc

He didn’t compare him to a gorilla , he compared him to something strong. Onana interpreted it that way, who cares how you interpreted it, it wasn’t meant for you.
There's so many emojis he could have used to compare Onana to ''something strong''. If you can't see how using the gorilla emoji would attract the wrong attention to him (he did, as he deleted it) then there's no point having a discussion with you.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I would say that any adult who in any way compares a black person to a gorilla on social media and is then surprised to get in trouble for it is a very, very, very stupid person.

And in footballers' cases they should have received media training that covers this pretty basic point of social media literacy and makes them aware of the very specific rules in relation to this issue that apply within their industry.

I'm sure he didn't mean anything malicious by it, I'm sure Onana wasn't offended by it and I'm sure it was just meant to be a positive thing between friends. I'm also very sure that the FA could happily charge him despite all of that. Because the rules aren't about his intent, or Onana's reaction. As previous incidents have made crystal clear.

zizou81

He means beast...use it all the time. People are so sensitive these days...cancel culture is way out of control. Onana was a beast that day.

RedChisel

Do you think anyone is offended (or even pretending to be offended) in this thread?

Lots of people seem annoyed with a reaction from the FA, the media or "the right on army" which hasn't actually happened.
Some people seem to be yes. Or at least offended that not everyone sees this as blatant racism.

Chumpsbechumps

There's so many emojis he could have used to compare Onana to ''something strong''. If you can't see how using the gorilla emoji would attract the wrong attention to him (he did, as he deleted it) then there's no point having a discussion with you.
I can see why it’s attracting the wrong attention, that doesn’t mean it warrants the kind of attention it’s getting.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I would say that any adult who in any way compares a black person to a gorilla on social media and is then surprised to get in trouble for it is a very, very, very stupid person.

And in footballers' cases they should have received media training that covers this pretty basic point of social media literacy and makes them aware of the very specific rules in relation to this issue that apply within their industry.

I'm sure he didn't mean anything malicious by it, I'm sure Onana wasn't offended by it and I'm sure it was just meant to be a positive thing between friends. I'm also very sure that the FA could happily charge him despite all of that. Because the rules aren' about his intent, or Onana's reaction.
Yeah, it's fairly simple.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

I'm sure he didn't mean anything malicious by it, I'm sure Onana wasn't offended by it and I'm sure it was just meant to be a positive thing between friends. I'm also very sure that the FA could happily charge him despite all of that. Because the rules aren't about his intent, or Onana's reaction. As previous incidents have made crystal clear.
Good post and some people would do well to read it and understand.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
Yes, I agree people can interpret it other ways and that's why he erased the tweet.

But at the same time, the person who should be affected by the offense was not offended. Had Onana felt offended, he could have said so and didn't. It's other people interpretations that really matter.

Problem with modern society and social media is that we don't have free speech.

zizou81

I'm sure he didn't mean anything malicious by it, I'm sure Onana wasn't offended by it and I'm sure it was just meant to be a positive thing between friends. I'm also very sure that the FA could happily charge him despite all of that. Because the rules aren' about his intent, or Onana's reaction.
Oh cmon. Gorilla is different to monkey. Monkey definitely a no no. But gorilla to indicate power and strength...i.e. beast...is a compliment these days on social media. We dont need to treat people different just because of the colour of their skin in my opinion...

Its like using a goat emoji. no one thinks that this emoji is gonna offend someone.

Hammondo

He didn’t compare him to a gorilla , he compared him to something strong. Onana interpreted it that way, who cares how you interpreted it, it wasn’t meant for you.
He literally posted gorillas, Onana is not the only black person on twitter.

Hammondo

I regularly buy Gorilla Glue because it’s dam strong glue for fixing things. In fact it’s best I’ve ever bought. Its strength is optimised by its logo which is a prominent picture of a Gorilla. Gorillas have long been associated with brutal Strength so this utter nonsensical nonsense needs to stop now.
What does brutal strength have to do with the pen save?

Andy_Cole

The white FA (and redcafe) dictating what’s racist. I’m a man of colour by the way.

It’s more racist you white people thinking that is racist.

frostbite

Come on, it is outrageous if he is charged for this. He obviously did not mean anything bad. And he deleted it when he realized that people might be offended. I am sure he will not do it again. There is no point in punishing him for this.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
The white FA (and redcafe) dictating what’s racist. I’m a man of colour by the way.

I am hispanic and feel the same way.

It's funny how ethnic background matters a lot in Anglo/Western countries. Making so much fuzz over something absolutely unimportant.

Barthez

He literally posted gorillas, Onana is not the only black person on twitter.
I do wonder how some people get through the day. People can be offended by anything and everything if they go looking for it and interpret it how THEY want to.

lex talionis

For situations like this, where there is no racist intent whatsoever, the policy should be a polite admonition and nothing more. That said, this was a daft post by the boy.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
For situations like this, where there is no racist intent whatsoever, the policy should be a polite admonition and nothing more. That said, this was a daft post by the boy.
I am 100% certain that this is what will happen. A quick chat "we know you didn't mean anything bad but just be careful" and that'll be it.

RedDevil@84

This is absolute insanity that it's even a thing. It's a fecking gorilla emoji. Calm the feck down. He didn't call him a monkey. He didn't use it racially.
I remember some poster here got perma-banned for using the gorilla word when talking about Lukaku on a gameday thread. Everyone was calling him a feckin donkey.

Hammondo

I do wonder how some people get through the day. People can be offended by anything and everything if they go looking for it and interpret it how THEY want to.
Well yes I agree with you, but if something has a very long, horrible, and dark history with racism, probably best avoided.

Andy_Cole

How do you come to that conclusion?
The fact that people automatically linking gorillas and monkeys to black people when Garnacho posted. Even though Garnacho didn’t think that and probably thought beast. Could’ve easily done a similar tweet for Ronaldo and people wouldn’t blink and eyelid.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Actually, it was. That's how social media works. When you post something on instagram or twitter it stops being a private conversation and becomes one everyone with access to it can see, interact with and interpret. That's why the rules around social media use are what they are.

If it was just meant for Onana, Garnacho should have texted or DM'd Onana. Instead he shared it with everyone on the platform.

Unam333

People are forgetting the most important question:

Which animal would win in a fight?
Gorilla vs bear vs lion?

Tarrou

The fact that people automatically linking gorillas and monkeys to black people when Garnacho posted. Even though Garnacho didn’t think that and probably thought beast. Could’ve easily done a similar tweet for Ronaldo and people wouldn’t blink and eyelid.
people think that because of the history of comparing black people to monkeys and gorillas though

there's nothing racist about that

the_cliff

There's a pretty obvious issue with that rationale though.

Imagine a scenario where Player A posts/says something racially insensitive about his teammate, Player B. Even if Player B feels uncomfortable with what Player A did/said, he could easily feel under pressure to defend him or not to speak out against him as not doing so will hurt the team and cause issues in the dressing room. For that reason, the FA can't just rely on players speaking out against their teammates.

Also, prior judgements have made clear that whether Onana himself was offended isn't the issue, because this wasn't a private conversation between Garnacho and Onana. As the FA noted in relation to the Bernardo Silva incident:
That was completely different though. If Onana wasn't in the picture and it was just Maguire for instance nothing would be made of it as the connotation of the caption is a positive one. The emoji was meant as something strong and powerful, the negative opinion of it is the assumption that he used that emoji because of Onana's skin colour and not the other meaning.

Bernardo's post had no other meaning and connotation behind it other than to insult Mendy, whether it was just a joke between friends is irrelevant as it was meant to be something negative.

Hammondo

If he didn't make that connection why did he remove the post so quickly?

When images of apes have such a strong and long history with racism towards black people, it's pretty ignorant not to notice it.

I'm not saying he should be punished, but I'm glad it's down and he was right to do so.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

Is it not racist to suggest Garnachos post was racist
I explain why the whole 'Isn't it racist to say this is racist? Doesn't make sense in the post below.
I don't think Garnacho should be banned, he deleted it when he realised very quickly after. But the FA will at the very least warn him.
This argument sometimes get made, and I don't really understand it. It's predicated on the idea that a person is oblivious to any and all historically racist tropes.

To explain it as an example, if you saw a white man aggressively making monkey noises and gestures at a black man, you would understand the racist intention yes? That doesn't mean you're a racist though would it?

Garnacho obviously wasn't being racist in this incident, but it is tone deaf, and I won't be surprised to see the FA warn/punish him. The reason being someone could be intentionally racist, and then hide behind the idea that they didn't mean for their comment to be racist, they were just making a light hearted comment to player x about watermelon, or some other object that has racist connotations in a certain context, but is otherwise benign.

Rajma

If he didn't make that connection why did he remove the post so quickly?

When images of apes have such a strong and long history with racism towards black people, it's pretty ignorant not to notice it.

I'm not saying he should be punished, but I'm glad it's down and he was right to do so.
He removed it because people who choose to get offended on behalf of others by everything have flooded his social media.

VanKenny

It is kind of stupid to NOT be able to foresee the reaction that this butthurt "holier than thou" society that is 24/7 searching for ways to be offended would have for that tweet. Hopefully he learns from experience and he keeps his jokes, comments, compliments etc privately.

Not saying the mob is right obviously, but you kind of have to understand your audience.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He removed it because people who choose to get offended on behalf of others by everything have flooded his social media.
He removed it minutes after he posted it. Long before there was anything "flooded" anywhere.

He either looked at it and thought "actually, some people might take this the wrong way" or someone he trusts told him that and he agreed.