Is Garnacho about to be "Cavanied"? | No

Andy_Cole

If he didn't make that connection why did he remove the post so quickly?

When images of apes have such a strong and long history with racism towards black people, it's pretty ignorant not to notice it.

I'm not saying he should be punished, but I'm glad it's down and he was right to do so.
Was probably told to.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I remember some poster here got perma-banned for using the gorilla word when talking about Lukaku on a gameday thread. Everyone was calling him a feckin donkey.
There are obviously different contexts where you can and can't use a word. Making it out to be gorilla = bad and racist 100% of the time is ridiculous.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
FFS. The sheeple that look for racism in everything are the real problem. It's a pity the gobby minority get given so much attention while the normal majority just get on with their lives.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Maybe, it went down very quickly, but I imagine United have people keeping an eye on this stuff.
It was so obviously stupid, and so obviously something that could get him in trouble, that I don't think it would necessarily have needed to be United who got involved. Pretty much anyone around him with some degree of awareness could have given him the head's up.

Hammondo

It was so obviously stupid, and so obviously something that could get him in trouble, that I don't think it would necessarily have needed to be United who got involved. Pretty much anyone around him with some degree of awareness could have given him the head's up.
True.

the_cliff

The FA still took action against Bernardo Silva and Cavani despite the people on the other end "not being offended".
That was completely different though. If Onana wasn't in the picture and it was just Maguire for instance nothing would be made of it as the connotation of the caption is a positive one. The emoji was meant as something strong and powerful (As shown in the tweets you posted), the negative opinion of it is the assumption that he used that emoji because of Onana's skin colour and not the other meaning.

Bernardo's post had no other meaning and connotation behind it other than to insult Mendy, whether it was just a joke between friends is irrelevant as it was meant to be something negative.

NotThatSoph

This is absolute insanity that it's even a thing. It's a fecking gorilla emoji. Calm the feck down. He didn't call him a monkey. He didn't use it racially. It was meant as a strength symbol as gorillas are strong, that's how I read it. Anything coming of this is fecking crazy.
Is it a thing?

AndySmith1990

Sad world we live in where this sort of thing is apparently a big deal. If only people bothered to engage their brains and understand context

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
That was completely different though. If Onana wasn't in the picture and it was just Maguire for instance nothing would be made of it as the connotation of the caption is a positive one. The emoji was meant as something strong and powerful (As shown in the tweets you posted), the negative opinion of it is the assumption that he used that emoji because of Onana's skin colour and not the other meaning.

Bernardo's post had no other meaning and connotation behind it other than to insult Mendy, whether it was just a joke between friends is irrelevant as it was meant to be something negative.
There might be a case if there was only one emoji but its there twice with both Onana and Maguire being at the centre of the picture after huge moments to win the game for United.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
Actually, it was. That's how social media works. When you post something on instagram or twitter it stops being a private conversation and becomes one everyone with access to it can see, interact with and interpret. That's why the rules around social media use are what they are.

If it was just meant for Onana, Garnacho should have texted or DM'd Onana. Instead he shared it with everyone on the platform.
Even "private" conversations in Social Media are not privileged.

Let's say Garnacho DM'd Onana and somehow, their conversation leaked. It would still cause the same controversy.

Remember Spanish FA giving a kiss to Hermoso? Remember how that escalated? We all human beings in social platforms or media are subject to other's interpretation and opinions, be that wrong or not...

Had Rubiales simply shook her hand or even giving her a small hug he would have avoided all that circus... Why did he have to Kiss her knowing the consequences? Is he literally wrong in his head? The guy is the President of the Spanish FA he should had been at least afraid of the consequences of his actions!

It is exactly the same thing with Garnacho.

RedIan

Theres loads of animal emojis, who decides ones racist. Its bloody crazy. What if you put a frog emoji when a players French. Gorillas are magnificent animals, the strongest primate. How is this suddenly racist per se. Id fight any charge, Its his team mate his friend, its a complement.

The world has gone bonkers

1DeGea1

Why would it be?
Because it’s an image of two huge dudes captioned with two emojis of muscular animals.

If you single out one of the individuals and say the emojis are both aimed at him and your reasoning for doing so is the colour of that individual’s skin, then there’s something going on in your thought process that recognises race above all other attributes.

SirScholes

Why would it be?
Had it not been for the investigation I wouldn't assum
I explain why the whole 'Isn't it racist to say this is racist? Doesn't make sense in the post below.
I don't think Garnacho should be banned, he deleted it when he realised very quickly after. But the FA will at the very least warn him.
I think banning people point blank for posting online and not taking into account context is dangerous

sparx99

I have no doubt about that - indeed, it's obvious from the context. But as the Cavani episode shows, that won't make any difference.

My point is how the feck could it not be obvious to him that he would get in trouble doing that? If Cavani gets banned for affectionately referring to a friend as "Negrito", what did he think would happen if he posts a gorilla emoji to describe a black teammate?
Seems to me that the racists at the FA see it as racist while Garnacho and Onana didn’t. It’s only racist if you think Onana looks like an ape.

All jokes aside it’s a comment on a celebration about your teammate. It’s obviously meant to celebrate that moment and any reasonable person should see that and take no further action. By all means suggest an awareness course or something.

SirScholes

Because it’s an image of two huge dudes captioned with two emojis of muscular animals.

If you single out one of the individuals and say the emojis are both aimed at him and your reasoning for doing so is the colour of that individual’s skin, then there’s something going on in your thought process that recognises race above all other attributes.
put it better than me

Taribo's Gap

The FA still took action against Bernardo Silva and Cavani despite the people on the other end "not being offended".
Honestly, is Barca the best example? They've just had a board member post and delete a social media post stating the following about Vinicius: "It's not racism, he deserves a slap for being a clown and a joker, what do those unnecessary and pointless stepovers in the middle of the pitch mean?"

Real Madrid fans sent gorilla emojis to David Alaba when he voted Messi for an award. Argentina fans, you know where Garnacho is from, sent Coman, Tchouameni and Kolo Muani gorilla emojis after the World Cup victory. Gorilla emojis were sent to England players after the Euro final. Probably 90% of the time is it used in association with a black person, it is not meant to suggest strength or dominance whatever in a complimentary manner.

At very minimum, Garnacho has demonstrated a shocking lack of awareness.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
The people getting annoyed at Garnacho for this need a long hard look at themselves. Would likely get offended by it though

Taribo's Gap

Theres loads of animal emojis, who decides ones racist. Its bloody crazy. What if you put a frog emoji when a players French. Gorillas are magnificent animals, the strongest primate. How is this suddenly racist per se. Id fight any charge, Its his team mate his friend, its a complement.

The world has gone bonkers
You really don't understand why people have an issue with primates, in particular, being compared to black people?

Chumpsbechumps

Actually, it was. That's how social media works. When you post something on instagram or twitter it stops being a private conversation and becomes one everyone with access to it can see, interact with and interpret. That's why the rules around social media use are what they are.

If it was just meant for Onana, Garnacho should have texted or DM'd Onana. Instead he shared it with everyone on the platform.
Nonsense, don’t be so self absorbed , it wasn’t meant for you, it was shared so you could view it.

You choosing to get offended or believing it’s racist is a you thing.

Chumpsbechumps

He literally posted gorillas, Onana is not the only black person on twitter.
So there’s probably black people out there offended, which means this white kid needs to be brought down a peg or two to show how progressive us white folk are?

This idea that when something is said that could offend somebody , it needs to be punished is such a uniquely nutty online concept.

Anustart89

If anything comes from this I’d just ask the FA where Mudryk’s ban for using the n-word went.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He literally posted gorillas, Onana is not the only black person on twitter.
Yes. Gorilla's are notoriously one of the strongest animals. If he posted a monkey emoji, it would be different. This is entirely a non story.

VanKenny

Id describe it different. Id say Garnacho has demonstrated an excess of innocence. Now he has lost it though, as he probably has learnt that the intention of a comment doesnt matter, the fact that the person that the comment was directed to has taken it positively doesnt matter either. Now he knows that what matters is whether or not people with questionable abilities for critical thinking decide to take insult of it or not.

Id actually say that "lack of self awareness" is what id use to describe the people taking offense of that tweet.

LDUred

South Americans have their own distinct ways of relating to one another that have to be lived in to actually understand. It doesn't mean that it is right, but if you have lived here you will know that people constantly compare each other to things (including animals) and it is rarely flattering. I have known someone who was constantly called, 'pollo' because he apparently looked like a chicken. Fair enough, he was kind of gangly and had a thin face and a long nose, but that mean he was basically 'pollo' for life.

If someone is slightly overweight they get called 'gordo'. If someone is a bit skinny they are 'flaca'. If someone has a deeper complexion they are 'moreno'. Now, obviously no-one really wants reminding of what they look like in most cases, but that is the culture. It's almost like a tall poppy syndrome thing. You call someone a name to keep their ego in check, perhaps. It's also often done with affection, which is difficult to understand for most people who've never lived here.

It doesn't mean that there aren't racial undertones to what Garnacho posted, but it could also mean that he's doing something that is natural to him and that he doesn't necessarily think is offensive. He might even think he's praising his mate.

There has to be a degree of cultural sensitivity with these punishments. Garnacho has probably not lived a life of privilege and had the education most people growing up in England have had. He's also grown up in a country that was itself a colony in the not too distant past.

This isn't like the Luis Suarez incident when it was much more obvious that he was racially abusing Evra. The context here is probably that he is trying to big Onana up, just doing it in a very clumsy and insensitive way.

fallengt

Good guy Onana but the ban will be issued non the less.
In today world, "victims" are not allowed to think for themselves and the mass decide why he/she should be angry.

Any chance fat men at FA will ban Onana as well? because he's side with racism, it seems

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I swear many of our so called fans want our club to suffer and enjoy even tiny things like this to provoke reaction. Probably not even real fans, I wouldn't bet against many are leftovers Ronaldo fanboys or whatever, who can't wait things like this so they can make things like this more interesting to the public so everyone can destroy Garnacho. It's happening in this thread too.

We ruined Maguire, we laughed at the likes of Lingard which certainly played to his emotions, etc., I won't be surprised if we ruin few more players, while other teams support their promising players.

December_16

This whole thing is so stupid I can’t even.

Players should just close all social media accounts, nothing good ever comes from that in this world where everything is twisted.

Bucephalus74

Supports
Arsenal
1. There are certainly busy-bodies in the world looking to get offended. Last year I was watching an Arsenal game in a non-crowded but non-football pub (in America), loudly cheering and calling out specific players for good and bad things. Woman comes up and taps my shoulder. I think she's just going to ask me to quieten down. Nope, accusation of racism because "don't you know "Jesus" is supposed to be pronounced "Hesus"? "Deliberately mispronouncing foreign names is wrong!" I did manage to not have beer come out my nose while rolling my eyes and explaining the difference between Spanish and Portuguese.

2. The Cavani situation was wrong. A simple "hey, heads up, words that might be normal and inoffensive in your culture can approximate ones that are highly offensive in ours, here's a list of words you might choose to avoid" would have been a better response.

3. I don't think Garnacho had any racist intent either. But it was incredibly dumb. We're literally a week away from the last monkey-chant at Vini Jr. incident. So it just looks bad, especially when FAs are being asked to crack down on racial abuse incidents, which so frequently take the form of monkey, ape, and banana BS. But I don't think a real ban is necessary. Maybe a statement from Garnacho saying "I never meant it that way but I understand why it looked bad" and a ban that's suspended for six months and waived so long as nothing similar happens again.

KeanoMagicHat

Stupid, but matter should be over if Onana didn't take offence to it. Just stupid all round.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Honestly, is Barca the best example? They've just had a board member post and delete a social media post stating the following about Vinicius: "It's not racism, he deserves a slap for being a clown and a joker, what do those unnecessary and pointless stepovers in the middle of the pitch mean?"

Real Madrid fans sent gorilla emojis to David Alaba when he voted Messi for an award. Argentina fans, you know where Garnacho is from, sent Coman, Tchouameni and Kolo Muani gorilla emojis after the World Cup victory. Gorilla emojis were sent to England players after the Euro final. Probably 90% of the time is it used in association with a black person, it is not meant to suggest strength or dominance whatever in a complimentary manner.

+1