Is Harry Maguire being a worldwide punchline deserved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbers

He plays with an arrogance that someone with his limited ability just should not have.

redshaw

We they did say he still has a part to play this season and of course I expected nothing less than what he's shown in these two games.

Aretak

Amazing thar some people, Savage included, are blaming it on De Gea. Maguire could have done a couple of other things there and instead he gifts them a goal.... again.

How he still has the armband is one of the only questions I have about EtH's choices.
Savage was absolutely desperate to absolve Maguire of any blame. Maybe De Gea should have known better given who he was passing to, but I refuse to accept that this isn't enough space for a supposed top class defender to receive a pass and not immediately panic and give it to an opponent:

Literally all he had to do was turn around and he takes three players out of the game. Not a doubt in my mind that Varane or Martinez are fine with that pass.

Irwin99

Extremely unlucky last week, but that was horrendous: “give me the ball, I got this…oh crap, I don’t got this!!”

spiriticon

No, but he honestly brings it upon himself.

Just be honest about your ability and show a desire to be better.

rajds89

I’m so glad he has nothing left to prove to himself/us because he is the complete, ball playing defender.. or so he likes to believe when in truth, he is the worst Manchester United player I’ve ever seen and I'm just about old enough to remember William Prunier.

Idxomer

Savage was absolutely desperate to absolve Maguire of any blame. Maybe De Gea should have known better given who he was passing to, but I refuse to accept that this isn't enough space for a supposed top class defender to receive a pass and not immediately panic and give it to an opponent:

Literally all he had to do was turn around and he takes three players out of the game. Not a doubt in my mind that Varane or Martinez are fine with that pass.
That 2nd image, how dumb can a player be?

He programmed himself to do that before the pass was even made and couldn't adjust himself afterwards.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He's not the worst Manchester United player I've ever seen, but the worse ones made far fewer appearances for the club.

Who's a worse United player that had more appearances than Harold Slabhead, tell me that?
He's by far the worst if transfer fees are taken into account

clarkydaz

Such a familiar picture with those old faces. They must hate playing with each other, it cannot continue

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
It's not being selective at all. If anyone is being selective (and scapegoating) it's you. I picked games he played 90 minutes in. I could have easily picked all of his games since the world cup and moved it up to 13-2-0 if you like? but you just want to look at a game where we blew a 2 goal lead, blame harry for those 2 OG's that he could do nothing about, and then tell me that I"m being selective? Give your head a shake
It is selective. Playing 45 minutes is plenty enough time to impact the game and we've seen it with him, it's just that his impact is always negative.

The guy is a lower half PL defender if he gets lucky and does well against that kind of opposition for that very reason - that's his level.

Sgreddevil

I hope this is the last game he play for man utd. He just does not have the quality required for a top team.
Both De Gea and him are jokers leading to the goal.
He should be aware that there are 3 players ready to pounce him but he still insist on demanding for the ball from gk
De Gea is responsible as well. As a gk, you have a good view of the whole field and you should make your own decision in passing the ball. It does not matter even if your captain demands for that. This is not what I expect an experienced gk to do.

Reactions: Cheimoon

The second picture is the important one because that's the one that shows the ball arriving to Maguire's feet. Maguire is generally a fecking donkey but De Gea has played countless teammates into trouble with that slow ball to the edge of our own box. Perhaps a better defender could turn, but they shouldn't have to, because our goalkeeper should not be playing that pass in the first place.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football

For me the first picture illustrates, even more, how stupid that pass was. He passed it right into a trap.

JimmyWils

I know its a criticism of Maguire and not sure whether the mods prefer to approve more positive posts, but in my book this deserves a like.

@Cheimoon or @Invictus, drop this guy a like! Solid effort during the halftime break.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
He plays with an arrogance that someone with his limited ability just should not have.
Also talks like an arrogant cnut too. When he was questioned on his form last season he should have owned up to it but instead deflected and tried to blame the team.

ExoduS

What a legend this Harry guy is. Like most laughable defender we ever had. You can't even get mad anymore as his stupidity is to be expected.

Last edited:

Rolaholic

Based Adnan

Both him and De Gea need to go as a priority

Combined 575k a week on the wage bill

RuudtheRed

No, but he has not helped himself with his comments in the media or his performances. The Europa League version of UCL Upamecano tonight.

ExoduS

What if Harry is pulling a con and on purpose ensuring his value is 0 so we can't sell him and instead have to pay his ridiculously high wages ?

Lentwood

No doubt he'll be scapegoated (and its true he's been involved in letting us down at a crunch moment again) but there are 6 or 7 players tonight who have been a disgrace and who really have no right to be at a top club. No personality or football intelligence whatsover. Fold at the first sign of pressure.

Rolaholic

Hope everyone who felt he's been hard done by feels the same way about the club being hard done by him. Ludicrous defender actively working against us

arnie_ni

Any capable cb would be fine with it.

led_scholes

The worst transfer in our history is still playing for us in the 4th year and he is also the captain.

Sell him for 1 EUR.

aj_united

On Trial
It was poor by De Gea, but any half decent CB would've either dealt with it, or been aware of their surroundings.

De Gea isn't good enough for United any more. Maguire is an average, error prone defender who has never been good enough for United. The fact he thinks he has nothing to prove says it all.

Enigma_87

You know who
He’s a walking meme.

And I mean walking cause for sure he ain’t running.

Status
Not open for further replies.