g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Is Harry Maguire being a worldwide punchline deserved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

They’re still professional leagues. He also got into the Euro 2020 team of the tournament ahead of many defenders with a much higher profile (and far less baggage on their shoulders).
Ironic how I was about to reply on this after his clusterfeck in the first goal but the thread closed.

Congratulations for him in being in the League One team of the year multiple times. Maybe it's time for him to win this award again next season ?

KD6-3.7

He is arguably one of our worst transfers of all time and the fact that not only is he still at the club, he’s got the captains armband on. We are so slow at getting rid of mediocrity and Maguire isn’t our only one.

wangyu

Ironic how I was about to reply on this after his clusterfeck in the first goal but the thread closed.

Congratulations for him in being in the League One team of the year multiple times. Maybe it's time for him to win this award again next season ?
don’t start… I could eat my shoe!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Here I am vehemently dendending him and he does.. whatever that is.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It is all DDG fault for passing him the ball when the captain asked him to. He should know better not to trust him.

led_scholes

Like De Gea, He does get more criticism than he deserves at times,
But games like tonight give people plenty of ammunition.
He isn’t good enough to be first choice at United, and he isn’t if we didn’t have so many injuries.
This year he proved he isn't good as a backup either.

Heinzesight

Let’s hope we never see him again in a United shirt.

We’ll all miss that woe is me walk back to the centre circle whilst brushing his fringe to the side, right?

Awful.

Stadjer

It is all DDG fault for passing him the ball when the captain asked him to. He should know better not to trust him.
DDG got a bit too used to be playing with a quality defender and good footballer like Martinez. Maguire obviously messed up but DDG should know that you cant make that pass to Maguire. I agree, DDG should know better.

UnitedWA

The best Sevilla attacker with a beautiful header last week and tonight a classy pass for a goal. Honorable mention - making that pass for counterattack which didn't end in the goal. The walking disaster with stupid hair which he constantly slips on side because it covers his eyes. And he still earns millions with no repercussions at all. Life surely is not fair!

gza the genius

Even if you ignore the fact that he asked for the pass and want to blame De Gea there's still no excuse for Maguire literally handing Sevilla a goal. Turn, chip to AWB, or literally just smash the ball in to the stands. Anything other than what he did. De Gea has to take some of the blame obviously but I don't think it's too much to ask the our captain and most expensive defender ever doesn't just hand them a goal in that situation.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
At least he had the confidence. What a woeful take

Confidence is actually an important word here. Forget the confidence Maguire has or lacks, but what seems obvious to me is that he has a tendency to make us as a team lose it. Same with De Gea. Through their nervous panicky actions both players have a habit (with de Gea it’s a more recent thing) to create stress for the collective even where there wasn’t any to begin with or to amplify it when there was. It happened vs forest where Maguire starting of faffing about and it happened here as well.

TsuWave

80 Million of the queen's finest.

I hope Leicester get relegated.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
He is embarrassingly bad. Even Smalling wouldn't have fecked up like that for the first goal. He would have put the ball in row Z or miles up the field.

Also him mouthing off to the press and celebrating scoring agaisnt the Orkney islands in a qualifier doesn't help his case.

dalriada

I agree with Maguire, De Gea and Martial out. Fed up of the three of them.
No question DDG had a horrible night, but his season has otherwise been good. He chose tonight to have a stinker on a day when the whole team also had a stinker.
Maguire and Martial are a different matter. For a player that was rated so highly at Leicester and has done well for England, Maguire's displayed a real haplessness at United from quite early on. I gave up on Martial a long time ago, his moodiness goes all the way back to when LVG signed him and he's long outlived his welcome.

Wayne's World

He's the worst signing in the history of the football club, an absolute disaster with the amount of money we paid for him

Stadjer

He is embarrassingly bad. Even Smalling wouldn't have fecked up like that for the first goal. He would have put the ball in row Z or miles up the field.

Also him mouthing off to the press and celebrating scoring agaisnt the Orkney islands in a qualifier doesn't help his case.
Even Smalling? Smalling was fine and should never have been sold so we could ''upgrade'' to Maguire. Smalling looked akward on the ball but he knew his limitations so he didnt make as many mistakes on the ball as Maguire does.

justboy68

I can't help but feel bad for anyone being a laughing stock to such a wide reaching extent. I just find the situation sad at this point and can't wait for him to get his move away, so that we can be rid of the whole nightmare and he can also get out of the limelight a bit. Maybe we can make a double deal with him and Sancho to somewhere.

led_scholes

No question DDG had a horrible night, but his season has otherwise been good. He chose tonight to have a stinker on a day when the whole team also had a stinker.
Maguire and Martial are a different matter. For a player that was rated so highly at Leicester and has done well for England, Maguire's displayed a real haplessness at United from quite early on. I gave up on Martial a long time ago, his moodiness goes all the way back to when LVG signed him and he's long outlived his welcome.
DDG season is barely OK. If we didn't have Martinez, Varane and Casemiro in front of him, we would get Brentford 'ed every game. He makes mistakes in every match. Just because other players cover for him, it doesn't mean we should not account them.

Revan

Assumptionman
All things considered, kinda crazy how ten Hag kept him as captain. Very very weird. You can imagine some old veteran legend being still captain even though he is not good to start anymore (Neville for us, Totti for Roma, Navas for Sevilla), but Memeguire still being captain is pretty weird.

JimmyWils

He is arguably one of our worst transfers of all time and the fact that not only is he still at the club, he’s got the captains armband on. We are so slow at getting rid of mediocrity and Maguire isn’t our only one.
Completely agree and add to that the fact we paid a fecking fortune for him, it's just unbelievable that he's still the club captain. Even De Gea, despite his few mistakes, deserves that armband infinitely more than Maguire.

Would also help that he plays every game while Maguire only plays if our first choices are injured and needs a rest.

As I said before, one of the only choices EtH has made than I'm just not understanding.

dalriada

DDG season is barely OK. If we didn't have Martinez, Varane and Casemiro in front of him, we would get Brentford 'ed every game. He makes mistakes in every match. Just because other players cover for him, it doesn't mean we should not account them.
That, for me, is just saying a goalkeeper needs good defenders in front of him or he's going to let goals in. Other players don't cover for a keeper, they're there to minimise the number of times a keeper has to make a save. He's there as the last line of defence. I don't think he makes mistakes every match, other than the ones that most other keepers make in the course of a match when I watch other teams. I've passed the point where I would say we have to keep him and we shouldn't consider replacing him, but I still wouldn't put him in the same category as Maguire, who probably can't rescue his Utd career now, and especially Martial who's barely had more than one season when he's really delivered the goods, especially as he's been at the club since LVG's time.

R'hllor

Oh man, this thread is next level, still remember reactions to VDV statement of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.