Is Harry Maguire being a worldwide punchline deserved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jezpeza

The guy cant pass, has no pace or positional sense. And, for his size, he’s always getting done in the air, for us and England. Time to move him on

led_scholes

That, for me, is just saying a goalkeeper needs good defenders in front of him or he's going to let goals in. Other players don't cover for a keeper, they're there to minimise the number of times a keeper has to make a save. He's there as the last line of defence. I don't think he makes mistakes every match, other than the ones that most other keepers make in the course of a match when I watch other teams. I've passed the point where I would say we have to keep him and we shouldn't consider replacing him, but I still wouldn't put him in the same category as Maguire, who probably can't rescue his Utd career now, and especially Martial who's barely had more than one season when he's really delivered the goods, especially as he's been at the club since LVG's time.
A good gk will be solid no matter who is in front of him. A bad gk will need a wc defense. Alisson had random midfielders and youth prospects for half a season and was not humiliated every game. I can't think of a game for example where Ddg didn't pass it to the opposition at least twice.

DickDastardly

Quality control
He's actually a beacon of hope for kids around the world.

Even the retarded ones.

Imagine. If Harry Maguire can play professional football, anyone in the world can.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The thing that infuriates me most about him is how shocking he is in the air even with that massive head.

van Nistelrooy

Savage was absolutely desperate to absolve Maguire of any blame. Maybe De Gea should have known better given who he was passing to, but I refuse to accept that this isn't enough space for a supposed top class defender to receive a pass and not immediately panic and give it to an opponent:

Literally all he had to do was turn around and he takes three players out of the game. Not a doubt in my mind that Varane or Martinez are fine with that pass.
Absolutely agree. Maguire called for it and he was in a fine position when de Gea was about to play it. Maguire's fault that he didn't run the ball out of defence. He loves to constantly play high up the pitch and run with the ball.

The only criticise on de Gea was the pace of the ball not being quick enough, yet I'm convinced Maguire would still play the ball out wide to AWB.

Maguire has the mobility of someone trying to move a wardrobe on their own. His criticism is well deserved when he has arrogantly defended his worth and performances in the press.

thisISben

What absolutely fries me is that before Maguire even passes to De Gea he has possession and pretty much waits till he’s under pressure then gives it to De Gea.

A few attackers are then yards ahead of where they would’ve been had he just got rid straight away, De Gea is then possession and well we know what happens next…

I’m really not exaggerating when I say I’ve never ever seen a United player make me twitch so much when in possession of the ball.

Also what brings hate to his door is his comments about himself, never seeming to take the blame and if anything feeding his own ego. Absolute joke of a player.

Reactions: Cheimoon

m1tch

I feel for him on a human level, I'm shit at my job too. The difference though is that I don't go round saying I don't have to prove myself and cupping my ears to my bosses when I issue a simple report on time.

Ghostrider318

What absolutely fries me is that before Maguire even passes to De Gea he has possession and pretty much waits till he’s under pressure then gives it to De Gea.

A few attackers are then yards ahead of where they would’ve been had he just got rid straight away, De Gea is then possession and well we know what happens next…

I’m really not exaggerating when I say I’ve never ever seen a United player make me twitch so much when in possession of the ball.

Also what brings hate to his door is his comments about himself, never seeming to take the blame and if anything feeding his own ego. Absolute joke of a player.
He does this time and time again. Hold on to the ball and pass at the last moment. To make things worse everyone knows exactly where he will play the ball 5 secs before he eventually does. Makes closing him down that much easier and then anyone with decent pace can leave him scrambling in midfield

bringbackbebe

And for most of his time here we’ve actually don’t well. you’d think he was tripping over his own feet and throwing it in every game with the nonsense you read online.
That's exactly what he does. He's a decent defender for 99% of the game but has these moments of madness that puts the entire team in jepordy in nearly every game he plays. The only reason why it's less this season is because he's played less and he's been caught out almost every time he's played. It's not surprising he's our 5th choice center back. Honestly, he's going to do better in a team where his lack of ball control, quick thinking, speed and agility aren't tested much - maybe West Ham or even Chelsea with 3 in the back will be a good fit for him.
Rinse, repeat

Gazautd18

2-0 up with just over 10mins to go in the 1st leg.
Enter Maguire.
Lose 5-2 after 2nd leg.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Enter Maguire.
Lose 5-2 after 2nd leg.
This post. It says everything.

And Maguire does the same in pretty much every game. Sometimes we get away, most of the time we don't.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
There is no defending him anymore. He needs to leave and it needs to be this summer.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Enter Maguire.
Lose 5-2 after 2nd leg.
Ah, but it doesn't count because he didn't start the first leg, so he didn't start the tie. Is what someone was parroting upthread.

How some can watch his debacles time and again and still think he's even OK, even decent is beyond me. Guy's done.

matsdf

It's enough now. It's just been enough. Even though he is a decent player, there's too many wounds now. Please leave.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Said it elsewhere - he needs to leave for his own sake. Play in a team either in a back 3 or a deep line. If we need to loan him out for the rest of his contract we should do so. He cannot stay.

SAFMUTD

Said it elsewhere - he needs to leave for his own sake. Play in a team either in a back 3 or a deep line. If we need to loan him out for the rest of his contract we should do so. He cannot stay.
At this point its a nightmare for everyone, he can't be happy here. Being exposed and ridiculed globally for his constant mistakes, he's not a starter anymore he's the captain but we all know its a paper captaincy the real captain is Bruno.

Hopefully we finally move on from him in the summer.

Paul_Scholes18

I like Maguire and I feel all the stick he gets gets to him.

Best moving him on now. He has done very well for England, but for us everyone performs worse than they should apart from maybe Rashford.

VictoryUltras

Supports
Melbourne Victory
I'm sorry but when you're the laughing stock of Ghanaian parliament you know you are utter shite.

AlPistacho

Of course not... But it comes with the territory of being a £80m defender and captain for Manchester United unfortunately.
Not just that.. the lack of being held to account by pundits & media plus his own lack of awareness doesn’t help and makes people scream even louder at how awful he is / plays.

Sir Erik ten Hag

So the thread to have sympathy for Maguire becomes the thread for people to come in and vent their Maguire frustration. You just can't make this shite up. :lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He is embarrassingly bad. Even Smalling wouldn't have fecked up like that for the first goal. He would have put the ball in row Z or miles up the field.

Also him mouthing off to the press and celebrating scoring agaisnt the Orkney islands in a qualifier doesn't help his case.
Even Smalling!? He was ( is?) a very good CB

amolbhatia50k

So the thread to have sympathy for Maguire becomes the thread for people to come in and vent their Maguire frustration. You just can't make this shite up. :lol:
I defended him lots in the previous few pages but this is typical Maguire - get a chance to lead to us to something good in the absence of better players and instead have brain farts that kill us.

Malone_Post

Smalling was a comfortably better defender then Maguire has ever been. Maguire was an £80 million downgrade because he could dribble a bit, make the odd nice long range pass and scored a few headers in the WC. Smalling was stronger, faster, more athletic, better in one on ones, just as good in the air and read the game better. He also didn’t constantly find himself out of position. He just wasn’t very good or comfortable on the ball. Something which was supposed to be one of Harry’s strengths *facepalm*

tjb

He and Lindelof have been poor for us. I don't think people realize how much Licha and Varane have helped us this season.

Strelok

Smalling was actually a pretty good CB imo. If my memory serves me right Aguero said himself Smalling is the hardest CB to play against for him because Smalling was really fast and strong. Smalling was just really really shit at passing and his positioning could be randomly woeful.

croadyman

The guy cant pass, has no pace or positional sense. And, for his size, he’s always getting done in the air, for us and England. Time to move him on
Sadly Southgate has a hard on for him so the likes of Dunk/Burn/Tomori are outsiders

amolbhatia50k

Smalling was a comfortably better defender then Maguire has ever been. Maguire was an £80 million downgrade because he could dribble a bit, make the odd nice long range pass and scored a few headers in the WC. Smalling was stronger, faster, more athletic, better in one on ones, just as good in the air and read the game better. He also didn’t constantly find himself out of position. He just wasn’t very good or comfortable on the ball. Something which was supposed to be one of Harry’s strengths *facepalm*
Exactly, Smalling was clumsy on the ball and hence unsuited to the direction we were headed in (or so we thought). However purely as a defender he was really good. Didn’t work out at international level for him as it has for Maguire but at club level he was miles better.

amolbhatia50k

Smalling was actually a pretty good CB imo. If my memory serves me right Aguero said himself Smalling is the hardest CB to play against for him because Smalling was really fast and strong. Smalling was just really really shit at passing and his positioning could be randomly woeful.
He nullified plenty of quality CFs often with ease. He’s be sold if he was here under ETH as he was a bit shit on the ball but his defending was really good for the most part.

ScholesyTheWise

I hate De Gea's pass for this one. The choice of the pass is decent enough, but you should also know how to execute it. He should have hit it harder. The weight of the pass is the first critical thing.
Hit the pass as he should have, and the oppo's pressing attacker would have covered half a yard less,
thus enabling our defender to have some better angles or some half a second more to think.

Maguire the absolute clown should have had a better understanding of where the Sevilla players were,
what their trap is, and what to do (in this instant, turn around).

I also really don't like De Gea's pass to Martinez from the clip against Betis where Licha indeed was able to get out of it fine,
with some risky 2 touches that almost cost him, mind.

DDG is going to keep making our defenders' lives hard with his passing,
but they should be able to do much better.

For me, they're both at fault, but all the scenarios here (aside from Maguire turning around and leaving all of Sevilla's players for dead) are shite.
For De Gea to blast it to the halfway line, only for them to press him again and again... that's no solution.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We downgraded from Evans to Smalling and then from Smalling to Maguire. Staggeringly stupid. At least it's clear ten hag doesn't rate him. Has only started a 3rd of our games, only with injuries basically.

redcafe_reader

And Smalling played for the team not for his own record. I have seen him trying to fix the situation continuously even though it may cost him some "% tackle successful" etc. It's especially clear when he was paired with Lindelof.

Obviously he's not as good as the like of Rio or Vidic but at least for me, Smalling is still comfortable our best defender pos SAF.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
DDG got a bit too used to be playing with a quality defender and good footballer like Martinez. Maguire obviously messed up but DDG should know that you cant make that pass to Maguire. I agree, DDG should know better.
Maguire is the captain of this team, an English International (which supposedly makes him good) and a so called 80m player. He was demanding the ball. Surely the goalkeeper can trust his captain right? Else wtf are we keeping Maguire for?

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

De Gea's pass was not great, but the goal is 90% on Maguire. It started with him taking too much time before giving the ball back to de Gea. Then he did not run in de Gea's direction to receive the ball so Sevilla had enough time and space to get in shape for the press. And he is just so slow and not mobile enough that he has poor decision making when under press. And opposition teams absolutely realize this and get something out of him every time.

I do not want to put all blame on him as other players have been equally atrocious (like Eriksen who is one of my favorite footballers), but he is a synonym and the face of what has gone wrong over the last decade with our club.

captaincantona

Maguire is a constant risk because he is trying to prove to ETH and the fans that he can receive the ball under pressure and take responsibility and step out of defence and beat the press and not just hoof it - that he is as good as Martinez and Varane.

This experiment is done, he can’t play in a team that plays out from the back - Hull and an average Leicester side is his level where he will be appreciated for less cultured and more no nonsense defending.

For everyone’s sake. He has to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.