Is Harry Maguire being a worldwide punchline deserved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jem

If you don't think Maguire receives personal abuse on a massive scale then you are either living in a cave or simply don't understand what constitutes personal abuse.
I think people have a flexible definition of the term abuse. I'm sure Maguire gets some pretty horrible stuff written on his social media, but then he's hardly alone in that respect. People criticizing him on here and laughing at a pretty benign commentator gag is hardly abuse. Getting booed by his home fans ala Eboue or Xhaka would be abuse, in my opinion, but unless I'm mistaken, that hasn't happened at Old Trafford. Getting booed by opposition fans is pretty much par for the course for any United player, especially the captain.

jem

I think people have a flexible definition of the term abuse. I'm sure Maguire gets some pretty horrible stuff written on his social media, but then he's hardly alone in that respect. People criticizing him on here and laughing at a pretty benign commentator gag is hardly abuse. Getting booed by his home fans ala Eboue or Xhaka would be abuse, in my opinion, but unless I'm mistaken, that hasn't happened at Old Trafford. Getting booed by opposition fans is pretty much par for the course for any United player, especially the captain.
Actually, I should clarify (in case it wasn't clear) that I don't imagine that Maguire is overly-abused by United fans, which, given that this discussion is on a United board, is what's really relevant here (of course this is pure speculation on my part.)

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Haters like him make our fanbase a laughing stock, up there with Arsenal as the worst fanbase in the Premier League.

Like the Glazers they can get in the bin.
Yep. There's a lot of our 'fanbase' that the club and the rest of us could do without.

wangyu

I have myself, even recently in the Sancho thread. I said he is not a footballer and one of the posters called me out on it.

We will all get carried away with our comments at some point but we can’t continue doubling down on it. It stops being funny before the first try.
I really have to try to contain myself right after the match, I often feel completely awful after a result (like post sevilla) and then I write all kinds of stupid things.

sugar_kane

Even though I've ranted about his media comments on here I think simply defining them as 'arrogance' is a shallow read.

The comments have started to come across more like a kid who is being bullied and his mum has told him to go out there and stand up for himself.

I don't think he's a confident guy, the bravado seems like a veneer to me.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
9-0-0 and only 3 goals against in his last 9 starts
Was this written by Maguire's PR team? We conceded 2 goals last week after he came on, one off his own head.

This is the kind of stuff that gets Maguire into trouble. Selecting numbers to make him look better than what he is and what the naked eye can see/observe.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Was this written by Maguire's PR team? We conceded 2 goals last week after he came on, one off his own head.

This is the kind of stuff that gets Maguire into trouble. Selecting numbers to make him look better than what he is and what the naked eye can see/observe.
Read that sentence again. 9-0-0 with only 3 goals against in his last 9 STARTS

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Did you have that same feeling when Paul Pogba played for us? Because for him the abuse was miles worse.

They are elite level athletes at the pinnacle of their sport. If people on Twitter makes memes/fail montages out of them undermines their confidence so much that they can’t ever perform, then they weren’t ever going to be successful anyways here. It’s the way high level competition works. You or other fans giving Maguire some pity applause and encouragement like he’s a young kid learning the game for the first time isn’t going to help anything
I was also against the anti Pogba brigade. Think you’re backing up the wrong tree.

KikiDaKats

Supports
I really have to try to contain myself right after the match, I often feel completely awful after a result (like post sevilla) and then I write all kinds of stupid things.
Oh we all do. At times we need to vent, rightly or wrongly it’s one of them.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Read that sentence again. 9-0-0 with only 3 goals against in his last 9 STARTS
I read it well enough. Selectively mentioning his starts omits a shambles of a game just over a week back which we were in control of before he came on. It's not like we get 6 points when he starts

jem

Even though I've ranted about his media comments on here I think simply defining them as 'arrogance' is a shallow read.

The comments have started to come across more like a kid who is being bullied and his mum has told him to go out there and stand up for himself.

yeah that’s how I read it.

jem

true but then the naked eye would also tell you that the own goal was simply bad luck.

KikiDaKats

Supports
He's not being "punished" for being a professional footballer. He's his having his poor performances assessed. It has nothing to do with jealousy- if it was then all our players would be getting stick, including the likes of Licha and Casemiro- but they don't. Because they are performing.
Let’s stick to the performance criticism then.

TsuWave

Oh they absolutely do unless Manchester United is simply ‘word’s’ to you which wouldnt be surprising I suppose.
this is so unhinged to me - cracks on United players aren’t funny because they’re United players? Insane

If there’s ever a scored competition and/or academic curriculum on how to be a United supporter - that could very well be submitted as an entry - until then, :lol:

Do you also look back every now and then on Vidic’s mistake vs Torres or Rio’s vs Bellamy and have a right chuckle? Or maybe our 7-0 defeat is your kind of comedy gold?
if good jokes are made out of them, of course.

Nowhere near the same degree. Also, who the feck watches countless fail compilations of Kai Havertz!?:lol:
Confirmation bias. Again, poor and/or players that can’t justify the outlay spent on them are all meme’d heavily. I said I have seen, not that I have watched. Similarly, I have also seen countless fail Maguire compilations.

Yakuza_devils

Maguire was excellent at Leicester playing defensive counter attacking football where he usually defend deep. The same case for England.

Ole was playing counter attacking football initially and signed Maguire for the style of play. He played well for Ole too. After that, Ole tried to change and wanted to play high press attacking football. It was when everything went wrong for Maguire because he is not suited for the style. It was especially bad in Ole final season. The same case with Rangnick.

He is also not suitable for ETH'S style of play. I think he will move on coming summer.

Having said that I think Maguire is still a top class CB in the right system. It's not his fault we sign him and not suitable to our style of play. The last decade Man Utd was run like a circus and there is no football structure or style of play in signings players.

KikiDaKats

Supports
What does that mean? You said the fans have absurd these players to get rid of them, I said the fans have been unsuccessful trying to get rid of the Glazers for 20 years, if all it took for fans to get their way was online criticism that wouldn't be the case
The type of language used on other platforms towards our players are generally not condoned here.
I don’t engage in Glazer conversations because my allegiance and support has always been restricted to on pitch matters.

jm99

The type of language used on other platforms towards our players are generally not condoned here.
I don’t engage in Glazer conversations because my allegiance and support has always been restricted to on pitch matters.
I'm just saying you said our fans speak about players that way to get rid of them. I think that overestimate the fans power, because they've very vocally (far moreso than any criticism of maguire) tried to get rid of the Glazers and had no success

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
this is so unhinged to me - cracks on United players aren’t funny because they’re United players? Insane

If there’s ever a scored competition and/or academic curriculum on how to be a United supporter - that could very well be submitted as an entry - until then, :lol:
What’s unhinged is finding content that is neither funny, witty nor intelligent and more a form of bullying via delinquent vitriol, funny. Scratch that, actually considering the enormous level of that directed at your own player absolutely fine / good is even worse.

if good jokes are made out of them, of course.
Yeah I think at this stage it’s clear that most of it isn’t funny.

Confirmation bias. Again, poor and/or players that can’t justify the outlay spent on them are all meme’d heavily. I said I have seen, not that I have watched. Similarly, I have also seen countless fail Maguire compilations.
Firstly you need to find better things to do with your time than watch countless compilations of this stuff. Secondly, it’s pure ignorance to pretend it’s the same treatment for every player. Maguire’s has been over the top and a shame really. Whenever it veers into abuse and overload of bullying / mockery, it’s a negative. But the SM generation is full of mindless shitstains anyway.

KikiDaKats

Supports
I'm just saying you said our fans speak about players that way to get rid of them. I think that overestimate the fans power, because they've very vocally (far moreso than any criticism of maguire) tried to get rid of the Glazers and had no success
You know there is no equivalence there.

Players have to perform in front of the fans in games.Glazers don’t even come to the stadium and set the terms of their involvement.

Players don’t have the same luxury because even under immense pressure we still expect them to keep it together and perform in our presence. The Glazers only show up to get their money and no one is present when they are leaving with the cash.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's absolutely deserved. Not due to his performances or his fee but the fact that we are talking about someone claiming that he has nothing to prove or that he is definitely playing well since his coach use him every game. He acts as if people can't see his stinkers, his attitude is totally off.

The likes of Lindelof, Wan Bissaka or even McTominay wouldn't deserve anything similar but Maguire does.

jm99

You know there is no equivalence there.

Players have to perform in front of the fans in games.Glazers don’t even come to the stadium and set the terms of their involvement.

Players don’t have the same luxury because even under immense pressure we still expect them to keep it together and perform in our presence. The Glazers only show up to get their money and no one is present when they are leaving with the cash.
Well yeah, I mean if you can't perform under immense pressure, maybe a job where you have to go out and perform in front of tens of thousands of people live and millions more watching at home, maybe playing football isn't the right job. Fans have limited power to get rid of players, if maguire can't handle pressure that's on him but he's not unique in having to face pressure

KikiDaKats

Supports
Well yeah, I mean if you can't perform under immense pressure, maybe a job where you have to go out and perform in front of tens of thousands of people live and millions more watching at home, maybe playing football isn't the right job. Fans have limited power to get rid of players, if maguire can't handle pressure that's on him but he's not unique in having to face pressure
Fans do and have always had the power. Limited or immense it’s still power.

buchansleftleg

If his ability and talent matched his self belief he would be truly awesome. Sadly he has the turning circle of an oil tanker and the anticipation, judgement and reading of situations of a blind trappist Monk in a cave on Ketamine.

TsuWave

What’s unhinged is finding content that is neither funny, witty nor intelligent and more a form of bullying via delinquent vitriol, funny. Scratch that, actually considering the enormous level of that directed at your own player absolutely fine / good is even worse.

Yeah I think at this stage it’s clear that most of it isn’t funny.
Luckily, your assessment of what's funny isn't universal. So if good, lighthearted, jokes are cracked on United/United players, I will laugh my ass off.

Firstly you need to find better things to do with your time than watch countless compilations of this stuff. Secondly, it’s pure ignorance to pretend it’s the same treatment for every player. Maguire’s has been over the top and a shame really. Whenever it veers into abuse and overload of bullying / mockery, it’s a negative. But the SM generation is full of mindless shitstains anyway.
Firstly, you need to comprehend what's being said to you - I said I've seen, not that I've watched - this is the second time I make this distinction to aid your reading comprehension, and you're seemingly still struggling. Secondly, you know nothing of me nor my time, I don't think having +90k posts on Redcafe is a good investment of time, but it's not my place to comment on as I do not know you - for all I know you make your living online (I do) - so I'd appreciate you keep personal suggestions to yourself, because were I to do the same - it might register as "form of bullying via delinquent vitriol" :lol: - whatever that even means - to you. Let's not get weird, and let us keep this thing cordial, please.

Thirdly, your posts are full of emotional outbursts and confirmation bias - anecdotally, from what I've seen, Maguire doesn't get cracked on more than Ronaldo, more than a lot of the Chelsea lads or even Luke Shaw when he has a dip in form. Players are made fun of - it's one of the sides of the coin of having a very well remunerated profession with high visibility - especially in Maguire's case with a transfer fee that his performances have never come close to justifying. Is it all justified? No, not when it gets personal and/or discriminatory - but then again, this thread used a commentator referring to Upamecano as "Upamaguire" as it's basis, and yeah that's funny and it's not something to pick up pitchforks over.

I will continue to laugh at similar jokes/memes made about Maguire - oh, and I might also watch a few fail compilations of him from time to time. Be easy.

Eric_the_Red99

The over-the-top abuse directed at Maguire just shows what a toilet social media has become. Millions of children (or adults with the mentality of children) sat sniggering at their screens whenever they re-post the same tediously unfunny cut-and-paste comments about Maguire, with the sole aim of getting ‘likes’ as if that fecking means anything. Absolutely pathetic.

ForeverRed1

his biggest mistakes are not his own.

80mil and captain armband. If he cost 35mil and was only a squad option, he wouldn’t get anywhere near the level of abuse.

HarryP

It's bullying, pure and simple.

Everybody remembers the kid at school who would be the butt of all jokes for any reason people could find. They would always be targeted and even people who wouldn't think of themselves as bullies, would join in if the opportunity arose. It obviously must feel awful for the person who is subjected to it. How do you seriously think Maguire feels to be a reference meme for every single poor CB performance in world football? It must be soul destroying for him and his family and I don't have any tine for the people who contribute to it.

ScholesyTheWise

His mistakes are so meme-worthy, and the weaknesses he does have are so evident for a supposed top defender, that it's very very hard for people who decided he's utter wank to somewhat let this impression go.

He has his games where he's perfectly fine, but the majority of people- myself included- won't find a burning need to acknowledge that.
"He's utter wank, should be sold" and that's about it.

that "Upamaguire" by the commentator is very funny, anyhow :)

Maguire could be quite decent for a midtable team in the PL,
and he's better than most defenders on earth, seeing as he's at that level.

Should really be the symbol of a crap footballer,
but it's obvious why he is.

el3mel

I swear this list is not complete, he also made the world cup team of the tournament when England finished 4th
Woah he got into the team of the year of League One ? Great achievements.

FerociousCorgis

Even when he has a "good game" you can see numerous times where he just either does braindead things or is as slow as an oil tanker moving around. Doesnt remotely play how we want to line up under EtH, so just sell and he can run his mouth about how he has nothing to prove while he plays for some midtier club in the EPL and can really celebrate his next goal for england against the maldives/faroe islands or something.

Valencia Shin Crosses

So what if they aren’t going to be successful here? Tons of footballers don’t make it at United and tons more won’t. Di Maria didn’t. Sanchez didn’t. It’s part of the game.

I think many confuse calling absurd levels of mockery and ridicule with acceptance (of performances). If it were up to me, I’d sell Maguire. At the same time, I don’t think the extent of vilification and ridicule is right. I’m surprised any level headed adult who sees them as human beings does.

Its the social media generation though, creating dumpster fire content for the lowest common denominator for clicks and likes. Can’t really do anything about it as it’s the new norm.
And I think you're making out this level of "mockery and ridicule" of only Maguire to be way worse than it actually is. It just seems that way because of how connected everything is through media now, but 20+ years ago players that were shit were being mocked just as much as they are now if they were constantly making montage worthy mistakes. It just didn't seem that way.

Again, anyone personally messaging him/his family/or doing anything out of line to feck with the guy's personal life can feck off. I have no tolerance for that. But we're acting like people tweeting a Maguire fail clip is going to break him mentally, and my point is that if that's going to affect you as a footballer then you're probably fecked anyways considering every player these days gets social media stick.

Anustart89

true but then the naked eye would also tell you that the own goal was simply bad luck.
And some would say that a better defender wouldn’t be in a position two meters away and off to the side from the guy heading the ball, as opposed to standing in no-man’s land. I mean this can go around in circles forever.

Marcus

That is my sense too. Take a stand for yourself. If you won't stand up for yourself, who will?

Zetrio2002

Yeah if he was only 35 mil and not the captain, he would not become a worldwide meme. But he is still an incredibly successful man who will go on to become sports pundit or coach in the future.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
He is certainly not helping his reputation when he has legit shite season, and then comes out with horrible lines like "I have nothing to prove".

Status
Not open for further replies.