Is it worth playing McTominay up front?

mikeyt

Lets stick him in goal, I mean he's over 6ft! The guy shouldn't be starting in any position for us.

Siorac

Ronaldo has none of those either. OP was simply trying to say McT is the best option if Martial is injured I think.

Personally I don't think this is a bad idea. At least McT is stronger, probably faster and definitely work much harder.
Ronaldo is finished, I agree - but his technique, movement, anticipation are still quite a bit ahead of those of McTominay.

McT is stronger and covers more ground, sure.

Nordmore

Ronaldo is finished, I agree - but his technique, movement, anticipation are still quite a bit ahead of those of McTominay.

McT is stronger and covers more ground, sure.
Agree.

However all that would be meaningless if he can't score. Since we simply can't expect either to score regularly I'll take the McT option. As at least he can guarantee the workrate, pressing etc. and might be able to keep the ball and link the play a bit. Win some headers too.

As a pure striker even finished imo Ronaldo is still better than McT. He's even not a striker to start with. But the job of a modern #9 nowadays is not only to score. Especially with ETH's football I think.

The idea would sound as crazy as to play John Oshea as a striker before SAF actually did that. He did pretty fine as a striker if my memory serves me right. Even scored an absolute wonder I think.

Smithy89

Honestly don't know why we never went for Scamacca or Toney in the summer.

AFC NimbleThumb

Agree.

However all that would be meaningless if he can't score. Since we simply can't expect either to score regularly I'll take the McT option. As at least he can guarantee the workrate, pressing etc. and might be able to keep the ball and link the play a bit. Win some headers too.

As a pure striker even finished imo Ronaldo is still better than McT. He's even not a striker to start with. But the job of a modern #9 nowadays is not only to score. Especially with ETH's football I think.

The idea would sound as crazy as to play John Oshea as a striker before SAF actually did that. He did pretty fine as a striker if my memory serves me right. Even scored an absolute wonder I think.
Another case of confirmation bias. I lost count of how many time McT was out worked & outclassed in midfield during the last year, he often looked a busy fool with opposition players in behind him but a few good games under EtH & all is forgotten. He’s had more than his fair share of anonymous performances.

Thank god EtH is the one making team choice decisions as opposed to the over-reactive Caf. Ronaldo may not be a Modern Number 9 but McT ffs :lol:

Lentwood

Tell me you have an anti-Ronaldo agenda without saying you have an anti-Ronaldo agenda...
Why do people write ridiculous stuff like this?

I sat there at OT week in, week out and watched Ronaldo develop from an immensly talented but frustrating wide-player into the best player in the World.

When the club announced we were re-signing him (on my Birthday) I squashed all the nagging doubts about his age and ego and was like an excited little kid at Christmas and went out the next day and bought two "Ronaldo 7" shirts (away and 3rd)...given I havent owned a replica since the Glazers bought the club that's unusual for me!

The fact however, is that you can't defy time forever. Pele was a brilliant CF once, do I have an agenda against him if I don't want him at CF? Would I have an agenda against Eric Cantona if we decided he could still flog a few shirts and unveiled him as our latest signing? What about Wayne Rooney? Could he still do a job? He's the same age!

My opinions on Ronaldo, like the vast majority of people in here, are based on the simple observation that age has caught up and he is now no longer good enough to play at the top level

lex talionis

McTominay scores a nifty tap in and now he’s preferred to Ronaldo at striker. Gotta love the caf.

Shai-Hulud

Tell me you have an anti-Ronaldo agenda without saying you have an anti-Ronaldo agenda...
There's nothing wrong with "agendas". We all have agendas. The only problem is when they're based on unreasonable emotional bias.

We should all have an agenda where we think Ronaldo shouldn't play. Because it's clear to see he is past it.

Nordmore

Another case of confirmation bias. I lost count of how many time McT was out worked & outclassed in midfield during the last year, he often looked a busy fool with opposition players in behind him but a few good games under EtH & all is forgotten. He’s had more than his fair share of anonymous performances.

Thank god EtH is the one making team choice decisions as opposed to the over-reactive Caf. Ronaldo may not be a Modern Number 9 but McT ffs :lol:
All I said was McT works harder than Ronaldo. And I didn't say McT is a modern #9.

More like it's you who have confirmed bias than anything. And the overreaction. Frankly no idea what's wrong with you.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
This is one of the stupidest suggestions I've ever seen and that's really saying something.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Would rather try as right back than Forward. His touch is worse than Ronaldo (tight spaces)

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If ETH do this, this sends rude message to the board about lack of reliable striker options... not to mention our attackers could feel hurt.

Nah but still, he would be our most physical option there.

Pickle85

There's nothing wrong with "agendas". We all have agendas. The only problem is when they're based on unreasonable emotional bias.

We should all have an agenda where we think Ronaldo shouldn't play. Because it's clear to see he is past it.
Thats not what was being talked about though. The point being made was that Scott McTominay is a better option at CF than Cristiano Ronaldo, which is clearly utter nonsense and reeks of agenda posting.

Pickle85

Why do people write ridiculous stuff like this?

I sat there at OT week in, week out and watched Ronaldo develop from an immensly talented but frustrating wide-player into the best player in the World.

When the club announced we were re-signing him (on my Birthday) I squashed all the nagging doubts about his age and ego and was like an excited little kid at Christmas and went out the next day and bought two "Ronaldo 7" shirts (away and 3rd)...given I havent owned a replica since the Glazers bought the club that's unusual for me!

The fact however, is that you can't defy time forever. Pele was a brilliant CF once, do I have an agenda against him if I don't want him at CF? Would I have an agenda against Eric Cantona if we decided he could still flog a few shirts and unveiled him as our latest signing? What about Wayne Rooney? Could he still do a job? He's the same age!

My opinions on Ronaldo, like the vast majority of people in here, are based on the simple observation that age has caught up and he is now no longer good enough to play at the top level
And you think that Scott McTominay is a better CF option. To be brutally honest, if you genuinely think that I can only imagine that you've been sitting at OT 'week in, week out' facing the wrong way. It's one thing to say Ronaldo should no longer be our first choice (I wouldn't disagree) and quite another to say that McT would be a better option up top.

PoTMS

Sitting in the Stretford End. Crowd getting on Fred's back. Does he look as bad on telly as he does live?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This is top level premier league stuff.

You don't just change a position of a player who is fairly average in his main position and think it'll be anything but ridiculous.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Ridiculous, I'd sooner start Charlie Macneil there than a cm who's long since lost any ability to start there. Should only be moved there during desperate hoof ball moments late in games.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
People underestimate the role of a striker/goal scorer so much. There is a reason usually your player with the best technique plays there. Mctominay upfront would be an absolute disaster.

Lentwood

And you think that Scott McTominay is a better CF option. To be brutally honest, if you genuinely think that I can only imagine that you've been sitting at OT 'week in, week out' facing the wrong way. It's one thing to say Ronaldo should no longer be our first choice (I wouldn't disagree) and quite another to say that McT would be a better option up top.
Forget about focusing specifically on whether or not McTominay would be better at CF than Ronaldo, it's just a completely ridiculous argument to be having.

However, I fundamentally believe that Ronaldo is finished at Premier League level. He doesn't have the legs. His brain is willing but the body is not. Therefore, he is a passenger and I'd rather us select virtually anybody else from our 23

Pickle85

Forget about focusing specifically on whether or not McTominay would be better at CF than Ronaldo, it's just a completely ridiculous argument to be having.

However, I fundamentally believe that Ronaldo is finished at Premier League level. He doesn't have the legs. His brain is willing but the body is not. Therefore, he is a passenger and I'd rather us select virtually anybody else from our 23
Absolutely. So we agree that it was a nonsense thing to say initially.

croadyman

Now that really would suit those leeches down to the ground and give them excuse for no signing

AlPistacho

I know in times of need thinking out of the box happens faster. I personally think Antony as a makeshift 9 would work better. Mctominay is not nimble enough to work in small spaces for me.

Bruno is also an option but he simply can't stay upfront, he will always drop back to feel the ball.

But honestly dropping Ronaldo for McTominay would be the harshest punishment of all time. That is completely degradation for him. Not an option...
In me newbies post, I have Antony a central forward option in 2-3 years time.

ElBarto

He's our answer to Haaland, particularly as he resembles Drago from Rocky 4 if you squint

criticalanalysis

It would be amazing and a fecking good laugh to see him there in some cup 'easy' game. Imagine him absolutely dominating the opposition centre backs physically up close but then opening his powerful long stride and smacking the ball with pure venom.

A reverse Alan Smith.

Gordon S

These ideas are almost always nuts, probably this to, but in this case i´m leaning to "why not?"

Ronaldo clearly have abilities that Scott can barely dream about, but, seeing our players constantly look for Ronaldo despite better options is driving me nuts.
Ronaldo does not, unfortunately, have the ability to beat his defender in the box anymore. He gets beaten time and time again and our attacks just goes to nothing.

Mctominay could at the very least be a handful for the CBs and maybe buy our more technical players some time in and around the penalty box.
Having said that, hopefully Martial can surprise us all by staying fit for a few months..

Lecland07

I suppose it will have a reverse effect to Ronaldo: instead of everyone passing to him, nobody will want to pass to him.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Ok, hear me out first before the inevitable pelters.

What we should do is buy a striker in January but with the expenditure laid out in the summer, and the Glazers unlikely to dip into their own pockets, it looks like the funds aren't gonna be available.

With Martial being a sick note, Rashford being better out wide and Ronaldo out of form/suspended/shite/leaving/all of the above, surely we can't do worse than him. ETH obviously doesn't trust any of the youth and after Greenwood, McTominay is probably the best finisher in the team.
And that's why you should never ever take drugs :lol:

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
All I said was McT works harder than Ronaldo. And I didn't say McT is a modern #9.

More like it's you who have confirmed bias than anything. And the overreaction. Frankly no idea what's wrong with you.
If McT as CF for Utd doesn't deserve a overreaction, then the word should never be used again. :lol:

CallyRed

He'll be an excellent forward. Judging by the penalty he gave away yesterday shames it'll be in Rugby Union.

I’m loving my life

Maybe he can get into fights in the opposition penalty area and we might earn the odd penalty for it. Certainly better keeping him up that end of the pitch rather than in our own penalty area.