Is it worth playing McTominay up front?

Grande

International football…the arena for bang average footballers to get a game.

But if it helps United shift Scotty and Maguire in the summer then it’s a blessing.
It’s funny. Most of our likely first 11 are home currently (De Gea - Bissaka, Varane, Shaw - Fred/Eriksen - Rashford, Sancho - Martial), while Scott McTominay scores four goals in one and a half game. He’s our international star player.

Cloud7

He can hardly be worse than Wout, and he could possibly bring similar qualities aka workrate. I say try it

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I don't think he possesses the hold up play to do a job up front for United. His second touch is so often a tackle. For all of Weghorst's faults, at least his first touch is tidy.

AndersB

Look at his two goals today. Both are late runs into the box. Which is what he excels at (besides decent heading). By placing him up you effectively take that weapon away from him. Doesn't strike me as the greatest idea.

SuperScoot

Not for me. His movement in midfield is chess like, and I don't mean that in a good way. He can chip in with a goal but I don't see him as a forward at all. Wasn't he a forward in the academy then got moved back into midfield, says it all.

Would rather retain Fred personally if we had the choice, who's energy can be invaluable to the team at times, albeit his passing can be erratic.

Ludens the Red

But if it helps United shift Scotty and Maguire in the summer then it’s a blessing.
This. Full of dead beat teams. We just had a World Cup won by possibly the worse Argentinian team most of us have seen in our lifetime. International football is in the dumpster.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

If a countrys 11 best players are bang average, the rest of us are absolutely doomed

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Nothing will ever beat Lingard as DM shout.
:lol:

Some people are obsessed with using players out of position.
if you want a striker....buy a striker.
If you want a DM...buy a DM.

As for Scot McT, he belongs in the Championship.

Marcelinho87

McTominay might chip in with a goal or two but seeing him constantly hiding behind the two centre backs would wind me up to no end... Weghorst may not be the best player but he doesn't ever go hiding in a game and he shows constantly.

This would be up there with the worst ideas ever.

McTominay needs to leave.

Jeffthered

Such a thread is a sign of our desperation.... and lacks credibility. Quite amusing thought though... Manchester United start with SMT as No 9... we'd get absolutely slaughtered. :lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This. Full of dead beat teams. We just had a World Cup won by possibly the worse Argentinian team most of us have seen in our lifetime. International football is in the dumpster.
Best Argentinian TEAM in my lifetime.

The WC is brilliant.

Seveneric

He'd probably run just as hard as Weghorst, and seeing as that's now a thing for which we praise strikers for, can't hurt to try, considering the limited options.

Marcelinho87

He'd probably run just as hard as Weghorst, and seeing as that's now a thing for which we praise strikers for, can't hurt to try, considering the limited options.
Weghorst isn't just about running though.

McTominay is a coward on the pitch who constantly hides from the ball, he would be a disasterr

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Don’t start. Every year it’s “x deserves to be in the championship l”. Nonsense
Not even Lindelof

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
He has a surprisingly deadly turn of speed over the first few yards with the ball at his feet. He's like Fred, better in an advanced position.

Bobski

I don't think he needs an advanced position so much as a midfield partner. All season Ten Hag has left the DM extremely isolated with the other 2 pushing very high, and McT simply doesn't have the spatial awareness or confidence on the ball to play that role. If one of 2 in an old style double pivot were he has freedom to go box to box he could be quite effective. Never a playmaker though, which is always going to limit him at the level Utd need to get to.

Someone mentioned Kevin Nolan as a comparison last night and I can see a bit of that, Nolan was surprisingly prolific making late runs. McT desperately needed the confidence that this week should have given him, but if he stuck back into DM against a team who want to sit and counter we will probably end up with the usual issues.

He is not a striker, such a shallow reading of him to think a few goals make him a forward.

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians

Yip, amongst all the other players who scored two goals vs Spain

justsomebloke

Not for me. His movement in midfield is chess like, and I don't mean that in a good way. He can chip in with a goal but I don't see him as a forward at all. Wasn't he a forward in the academy then got moved back into midfield, says it all.

Would rather retain Fred personally if we had the choice, who's energy can be invaluable to the team at times, albeit his passing can be erratic.
Ideally, he's a ten. And when I say "ideally", I don't mean he'd be a good ten, just that it's probably the position that gives him the greatest room for utilising what he has.

Lj82

He scored four goals this international break, all of them arriving late in the box. But you want him to play upfront with his back to goal? It's s totally different game that requires a different skill set.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He is 26 years old, let that sink in we are still waiting for him to blossom.
Are we? I think everyone is aware of his limitations and that they aren't going to change, and most are of the view he might not be required here long term.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

He is 26 years old, let that sink in we are still waiting for him to blossom.
And we're discussing the possibility of him doing a "paper over the cracks" job as a forward because the main man for the job is another player we're waiting for to blossom after 8 seasons at the club. And then we wonder why, for rivals fans, United in the Woodward era were seen as pure comedy gold material.

davidmichael

If and it’s a big IF McTominay stayed then he should be used as a box to box midfielder with a licence to get into the box and use his physical presence and potentially score goals, the best games he’s had for us or Scotland have been in that role.

In an ideal world we’d bring in Lavia and Bellingham/De Jong/Bennacer which provides back up to Casemiro and an upgrade on Eriksen and we’d move McTominay and VDB both on BUT if we had to keep McTominay then he should play WITH Casemiro rather than as his back up.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Look at his two goals today. Both are late runs into the box. Which is what he excels at (besides decent heading). By placing him up you effectively take that weapon away from him. Doesn't strike me as the greatest idea.
He's always performed better when allowed to go up and down the field. He's not the kind who can play a holding role.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
McTominay is more than capable of chipping in with goals and assists if played further forward. However, he gets these goals by driving from deep, so playing him as the furthest man forward is never going to work unless you just want him to try to be a target man.

I would be tempted to experiment with pushing Bruno up into a false nine role, with McTominay behind him, able to overlap and make those runs IF this setup also works for Bruno. However clearly Bruno shouldn’t be sacrificed for McTominay.

PSV

His work rate is a myth. He’s never near his man when defending.
Should be transferable with a mental coach, because he's probably #1 in the world at sticking to his man when we have the ball.

Maticmaker

McTominay has always exhibited a 'box-to-box' capability, he can defend well enough in his own box and can be devastating when arriving late in the opponents box... its just the bit in the middle where he seems to lose his bearings.

Abraxas

You say it can't hurt to try, but how can that be true? Our form is good as is. With Weghorst. So that's the starting position that needs to be maintained.

What can change is that we play McTominay as a striker, he is even worse than Weghorst (because contrary to popular belief that is certainly very possible and maybe even likely in general play), and we lose games of football.

LuckyScout78

Honestly i think he is better than Weghorst.

McTom is more athlete. More easier on the toes. More lightweight than Weghorst = it lead to that McTom is quicker in the first meters than Weghorst.

I think he get a more offensive role for Scotland. More freedom to go forward for Scotland.

The top guts/energy/engine and determination lead to scoring positions. The energy lead you there. Start from a willing to take a run in the head.

Really good and top determination finishing skill.