Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDevilRoshi

So which squad number will he take as Cavani has the #7 which we all predicted last summer Jadon would be wearing for us?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You need 6 players for 3 positions if you want challenge across all fronts.

We currently have Rashford,Cavani,Greenwood and Martial.

James and Mata arent good enough.

Amad isn't ready.

We need Sancho.
Can’t help feel that posters, Gary Neville and others are just deleting Amad due to him not fitting the story. We have bought him for a lot of money, and he’s 19, not 15.

Him not being ready now isn’t really the point. He’s not 5 years from being a player, that’s for sure. All the transfer talk I see around here basically works on the assumption that Amad doesn’t exist. People kept moaning at why we didn’t sign Sancho before he went to Dortmund, well - this is what it looks like. For me, if we sign Sancho, Amad will have little chance.

Amad realistically needs to be introduced like how Foden has been introduced over the next 12-18 months. If he isn’t any good, then we act then. But surely we don’t just make big money signings with the next year in mind? In 3 years time, it will not matter what the age difference is between Sancho and Diallo. Only for this short period does Sancho’s extra experience mean anything, but with the ages of the players, the plan surely has to be how they fit the picture longer term.

United have said that they saw Diallo as the best teenager in the world after Ansu Fati. I don’t think you buy that player, then but a 21 year old version too because he’s one year further along.

Wing Attack Plan R

Overall we were lucky this season with the relatively small number of injuries. We are going to see just how frail our defense is with Maguire out, it will probably be Maguire Appreciation Day every match day he is out.

But that doesn't disguise the fact we really are thin in cover in most positions. Adding Sancho would obviously give us greater attacking threat and flair - but we are currently sat second without him. It's going to be another window of bargain hunting, just like basically every window barring the one Pogba arrived in. If we realistically can get in two players, is RW a higher priority than a CDM or a CB?

With Amad ramping up, plus players like MacNeil and Hugill possibly getting a look in the first team next season, I'm not sure we really need to blow our budget on Sancho. I would personally much prefer us getting a youthful version of Carrick / Keane / Scholes. We need someone who is not pure DM but can transition, someone with a lot more skill and composure on the ball than McFred.

Sancho is still a luxury option. We can't get all the baubles on display. I'd opt for an upgrade on Fred, and use whatever money is left over to sign an agreement with Haaland for when Cavani goes.

roseguy64

Can’t help feel that posters, Gary Neville and others are just deleting Amad due to him not fitting the story. We have bought him for a lot of money, and he’s 19, not 15.

Him not being ready now isn’t really the point. He’s not 5 years from being a player, that’s for sure. All the transfer talk I see around here basically works on the assumption that Amad doesn’t exist. People kept moaning at why we didn’t sign Sancho before he went to Dortmund, well - this is what it looks like. For me, if we sign Sancho, Amad will have little chance.

Amad realistically needs to be introduced like how Foden has been introduced over the next 12-18 months. If he isn’t any good, then we act then. But surely we don’t just make big money signings with the next year in mind? In 3 years time, it will not matter what the age difference is between Sancho and Diallo. Only for this short period does Sancho’s extra experience mean anything, but with the ages of the players, the plan surely has to be how they fit the picture longer term.

United have said that they saw Diallo as the best teenager in the world after Ansu Fati. I don’t think you buy that player, then but a 21 year old version too because he’s one year further along.
If Amad was anywhere close to being ready to play a part he'd be getting more minutes than he currently is. He can't be relied on and is a signing for the future who's not yet up to it in England.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If Amad was anywhere close to being ready to play a part he'd be getting more minutes than he currently is. He can't be relied on and is a signing for the future who's not yet up to it in England.
How far into the future? And what journey does he need to go on between now and that point for him to just arrive at this point you expect him to be at in the future? Do you just put him in the fridge for 3 years and then bring him out and magic - he’s one of the best in the world? The journey towards him getting to where he needs to be involves him playing football. As evidenced by the journey that Jadon Sancho had to go on to become the player he is, despite being just 2 years older than Amad himself.

I think people should remember this the next time they protest at why we have to sign a Sancho for 100m instead of 7m like Dortmund.

roseguy64

How far into the future? And what journey does he need to go on between now and that point for him to just arrive at this point you expect him to be at in the future? Do you just put him in the fridge for 3 years and then bring him out and magic - he’s one of the best in the world? The journey towards him getting to where he needs to be involves him playing football. As evidenced by the journey that Jadon Sancho had to go on to become the player he is, despite being just 2 years older than Amad himself.

I think people should remember this the next time they protest at why we have to sign a Sancho for 100m instead of 7m like Dortmund.
2022-23 season is how far into the future I'm looking. He either stays here and plays the odd game or we loan him out. He's not ready to go from barely playing to playing instead of Sancho.

We shouldn't miss out on a proven young player whose price has been reduced just because we've signed another player. Players have to earn their playing time and if they're good enough they'll get minutes. He's not shown in training that he's there yet so he's not played. I highly doubt he can make that big a jump that quickly. It took Greenwood hitting the weights hard when there was the break in the season last year for him to be ready to play regularly.

passing-wind

I've seen Amad and there's nothing to suggest he's as good as being made out to be concerning the hype you've mentioned. Even during purchasing he wasn't playing regularly for Atlanta from what I remember. Foden respectfully is one of the best young midfielders in world football. He's had that aura since the England U17's winning the world cup few years ago despite low overall appearances for city before this present season. Sancho is also one of the best young forwards in world football there's no comparison.

By all accounts Amad deserves a chance but he's not that calibre of a player currently to the extent that the club should be turning down opportunities getting other quality players for similar positions.

I actually believe that Greenwood is destined to be the clubs 9, the manager has said he's the best finisher at the club and it's his natural position. I reckon it's more logical to see Greenwood there than Haaland here considering how difficult a transfer it would be to pull off. If we objectively consider the influences of Mata / James they are more likely to be sold or underutilized. So considering this, if Sancho does come there's a very realistic possibility that Diallo could rotate between Jadon / Marcus in the near future which would see him amass plenty opportunities to develop.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Amad looks promising but Sancho has proven for 3 years now to be one of the best creative wingers in the world.. and he's only just turned 21. They're worlds apart in what they've done. Amad has looked good in youth games... He might have potential, but there will be a role for him in time too. Can be a useful squad player or work his way in eventually if he's good enough. He's definitely not shown anything to suggest we should ignore one of the very best wingers in the world (who happens to also be English, 21, and in a lot of ways the perfect signing for us).

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I doubt if Ole sees the players mentioned as mutually exclusive choices. We are looking at interchangeable parts and also squad depth that allows up to play high tempo matches every 3 days.
We have razor thin starting 11 to start with.

So for this summer, I am guessing that it might be a Sancho who can play across the front 3 and a Holding Mid or a CB, if we are lucky -- and that's assuming that they have enough in the transfer tank vis a vis the £200M pull out of the training kit deal that was supposed to start in July. (I doubt if we can get another deal of that size or duration, 10yrs negotiated between now and July.)

SATA

Don't care what his shirt number is as long as he comes here. I doubt the player himself cares much either. Get him here at all costs!

Tarrou

Not reliable regarding Dortmund, decent for Bayern though. Dortmund's most reliable source are usually Ruhr Nachrichten, Kicker, and Funke Sport.
cheers

thats a shame

I'd be amazed if we seal this deal early in the summer, but you know never

gajender

W
We have a unique set up in our side with Bruno scoring so many goals. It means we dont necessarily need a 25 goal striker and that position isnt as important to us as it is to our rivals.
Fernandes has scored less than 10 non penalty goals in the league we could certainly do with reliable goalscorer but with Cavani staying and hopefully Martial not being as useless as he has been this season it's not a pressing issue but we certainly need more creativity .

jamesjimmybyrondean

The only reason I'd argue against Sancho coming is because I'm afraid getting him would be at the expense of either a CB or DM. Considering his price and our good attack we quite honestly don't need him as much as people make it seem here. We can get Matheus Pereira and a CB like Varane or Torres for the price of Sancho. Pereira is also a creative attacker that we are missing who is proven in the league and can be used as RW or a Bruno back up. We still look clueless when Bruno is not on the pitch as VdB is not the type of 10 that suits us and should be used as an 8 imo.

A DM should also be first priority. Pogba should play left wing more often and that would mean a Mcfred midfield which should be upgraded on. Mctominay in particular.

So our attacking options next season : Pogba Greenwood Cavani Martial Pereira Rashford

And midfield being : Bruno VdB Mctominay Fred Pogba Pereira Matic Rice

With a CB added to our defense

Imo we'd have a better of challenging for the title with this than signing Sancho and only one of a CB or DM.ike I've always said though whether we sign him at the expense of a CB or DM id still celebrate it

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The only reason I'd argue against Sancho coming is because I'm afraid getting him would be at the expense of either a CB or DM. Considering his price and our good attack we quite honestly don't need him as much as people make it seem here. We can get Matheus Pereira and a CB like Varane or Torres for the price of Sancho. Pereira is also a creative attacker that we are missing who is proven in the league and can be used as RW or a Bruno back up. We still look clueless when Bruno is not on the pitch as VdB is not the type of 10 that suits us and should be used as an 8 imo.

A DM should also be first priority. Pogba should play left wing more often and that would mean a Mcfred midfield which should be upgraded on. Mctominay in particular.

So our attacking options next season : Pogba Greenwood Cavani Martial Pereira Rashford

And midfield being : Bruno VdB Mctominay Fred Pogba Pereira Matic Rice

With a CB added to our defense

Imo we'd have a better of challenging for the title with this than signing Sancho and only one of a CB or DM.ike I've always said though whether we sign him at the expense of a CB or DM id still celebrate it
PL proven player in Matheus Pereira wont be cheap either.

WPMUFC

been stalking the transfer threads, Sancho seems to still have the "best" reports so far, i hope we can get him. However i'll always feel burnt by last year. The sheer stupidity of our approach for him last year was mindblowing. Fingers crossed we get some close BVB reports soon.

romufc

The key difference to me this year is noises coming out from Dortmund.

Last season there was a clear message that he is not leaving, this time around its more acceptance that he will leave.

The focus is on Haaland not leaving this summer.

Judas

Open to offers
The key difference to me this year is noises coming out from Dortmund.

Last season there was a clear message that he is not leaving, this time around its more acceptance that he will leave.

The focus is on Haaland not leaving this summer.
100% its the key difference. He's off and they know it. Haaland is the precious they must protect this summer.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Fernandes has scored less than 10 non penalty goals in the league we could certainly do with reliable goalscorer but with Cavani staying and hopefully Martial not being as useless as he has been this season it's not a pressing issue but we certainly need more creativity .
Damn that's a made stat, don't let the oppo fans know that

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

romufc

100% its the key difference. He's off and they know it. Haaland is the precious they must protect this summer.
Now I really hope that he is off to United and not any other club. We need him. If Pogba is going to play LW more consistently, we need a RW who is a RW,

Devil81

Dortmund will want him gone early so they can recruit his replacement, wouldn't surprise me if this deal is already done.

WPMUFC

I do think that the cavani contract is pretty much taking all huge striker signings off the table, and we are getting some good sancho reporting. Still think we need those close BVB media statements to feel any real credibility.

cyberman

Thatll be the same with most attackers in top leagues though. Plus its more or less his quick passes forward that sets us up in positions to get pens in the first place so it all evens out. Cant really argue with 27 goals from an attacking midfielder to be honest. Thats nearly 50 goals this season between he and Rashford! I just think its worth sticking with Greenwood as a rotating 9 simply because i cant see how he learns from Cavanis runs if hes meant to play as an inside forward and we have enough goals around the team to make up for any learning curve.
Long term planning is doing us well so far, i dont really want to jump the gun a little early

WPMUFC

If Sancho does come, then surely it is with a plan in mind to make Greenwood a fully fledged No.9? I don't see how we could put Sancho on the RW and then revert to giving Mason 20 mins every 2-3 games. I'd imagine it would be some kind of cavani-greenwood-martial rotation based on form/gameweek match up.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
If Sancho does come, then surely it is with a plan in mind to make Greenwood a fully fledged No.9? I don't see how we could put Sancho on the RW and then revert to giving Mason 20 mins every 2-3 games. I'd imagine it would be some kind of cavani-greenwood-martial rotation based on form/gameweek match up.
This makes sense, but I don't think Martial will be here for long.

Anyway, quick question, isn't Sancho more of a LW?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
It wouldn’t shock me if we moved Martial on to leave us with:

LW options
Rashford
Pogba

ST options
Cavani
Greenwood

RW options
Sancho
Amad

James in backup rotation (or Pogba back to CM).

Status
Not open for further replies.