Is Mata overrated?

Indired

The statistics prove that Ozil has more assists than any other player in the world over the last five seasons, so he's definitely up there.
Assisting the likes of Ronaldo ,Benzema etc .. with the support of the likes of Di Maria in a system which accommodates all of them is relatively easier compared to the task at hand for Mata today .. The only player Mata could "assist" today was Hernandez with the support of Ashley Young and Nani . ..

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Hes a great player, but not without his flaws, but hes a lovely person. He would be welcomed into any side, but to make out it was a Jose feck up him selling Mata( as some have everytime we dont win a game) is laughable, didnt fit in with what he wants, and our results were better for it. He will be good for United though, but I dont think he will quite replicate his form with us in his second season.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Mentioning big game bottler Ozil in the same line as Silva should be a banable offence!

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Hes a great player, but not without his flaws, but hes a lovely person. He would be welcomed into any side, but to make out it was a Jose feck up him selling Mata( as some have everytime we dont win a game) is laughable, didnt fit in with what he wants, and our results were better for it. He will be good for United though, but I dont think he will quite replicate his form with us in his second season.
Well some results were also very bad since he has left, not all down to him after all!

togg

haven't read the thread...but to answer the question...errrr, no...but a lot of our other players are certainly so....

We need to add the same players of the skill and football intelligence of Mata...then let's ask the question...

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
He's brilliant, a fantastic player. He just has the misfortune to be saddled with dross like Carrick and Fletcher.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
He's brilliant, a fantastic player. He just has the misfortune to be saddled with dross like Carrick and Fletcher.
Werent some saying the same thing in relation to Ramires and Mikel last season?

redevil2

Amount of times he opened the space for our 'attackers' today just for them to either stop midrun or feck things up with retarded cross was just hilarious.

And no, he isn't.
And then at one point, he was seen waving and rallying his team mates to go forward.

We have not a leader on the pitch today and at games like this, a leader is important.

prarek

Well he has 5 goals and 4 assists in 12 games for us despite him not being at his best and the team performing poorly. If he had a proper midfield behind him and our team was playing well i think its fair to say he would comfortably replicate the form he showed at Chelsea.

Blasphemy

Who, people who hold different opinions & wish to stimulate a little debate? :lol::lol::lol:

:rolleyes:
Have there been any players who're slow that you rate? Xavi, Riquelme, Busquets, Scholes, Pirlo maybe?

redevil2

Carrick and Fletcher ignored him time and time again today. They looked for passes to the wing at every opportunity under orders from the manager. The class of 92 are not a fan of Mata and what he brings to the party, as Gary Neville keeps telling us.
Young is a plain wrong choice! And gosh the way he wanted the ball and couldn't do anything with it. He also should not have taken corners

hobbers

He's performed much better for us than Oscar has for Chelsea in the second half of the season, no doubt.

Zak Smith

Of courses he's not, two absolutely brilliant years at Chelsea showed that.

I've been disappointed by his contributions in games where the team has struggled, you want your top players to stand up and be counted when things aren't going your way and he hasn't done that. I think his stats are a little flattering in all honesty. But I don't think it's fair to judge him off this disaster of a half/season, he spent plenty of those big games out of position as well. Next season will be a different story hopefully.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
And then at one point, he was seen waving and rallying his team mates to go forward.

We have not a leader on the pitch today and at games like this, a leader is important.
Yep, our leader today mentally checked out when he signed a contract with a different club 5 months ago.

Yet, astonishingly, he still gets games and the armband.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
No. Not his fault the other 5 players around him today were useless and fecked up almost every touch of the ball.
Ozil has had to deal with similar at times but doesn't stop people or the media calling him a flop.

Mad Winger

Short answer: NO

Complex answer:
While he's not overrated per say, certain elements of his game are. People assume that Mata has a lot of goals and assists because he's a technical Spanish midget with the description "attacking midfielder". In truth, he scores and assists a lot because he's got what I like to call "a striker's awareness". He has the ability to be at the right place at the right time. He doesn't need to make defense-splitting passes or score classy goals. He's always there for the tap-in, whether he's last or second last on the ball. If you look at Mata's goals and assists so far, then you'll notice that few of them were results of impressive moves. His heel-kick assist to Januzaj was class, but other than that, his assists have been fairly simple passes, if I remember correctly. And then there's his set-pieces. The fact that he's good at set-pieces gives his game a whole new dimension.

Is Mata a better playmaker than the likes of Silva, Özil and yes, even Kagawa? In my opinion: no. In fact, he's most definitely not!

But Mata has something that these other players don't have, and that is ruthless effectivity. He's not the type of player to turn games around on a bad day, but when we don't suck(which we really should aspire to, being United and all), he's almost guaranteed to either score or assist. And that is valuable to have, regardless. In fact, that's the only reason we've let Rooney play in the AM position, despite being a crap AM.

Well, now we've got Mata, who's arguably just as effective as Rooney and has good technique! Rooney's "goals and assist guarantee" is pretty much rendered useless in the AM position now. You could make the argument that Kagawa shouldn't be ahead of Rooney in the pecking order for the AM position, because of his lacking effectivity. With Mata, you can't. Any sensible coach should see this. As long as we have Mata(and Kagawa imo), then Rooney really has no business in the AM role.

Mata is a brilliant player, possibly world class. He pretty much offers 80% of what Rooney offers in terms of goals/assists, and 80% of what Kagawa offers in terms of playmaking. Combined it makes him unique. Kagawa is the better playmaker, but he needs a lot more playtime in order to reach his Dortmund form. And it's not even sure if he'll reach it. Might as well play him on the wing for a while. Rooney is the better goalscorer, but he has mediocre technique, creativity and passing.

Last edited:

Litch

Mata is truly world class but even Messi and Ronaldo playing in that team would not look good at the moment.

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
Who, people who hold different opinions & wish to stimulate a little debate? :lol::lol::lol:

:rolleyes:
Come on, the op can have a different opinion I don't mind but Christ, they come on after a loss and posts 3 lines to support the thread title? At least make a valid arguement, some kind of back-up to the point :lol:

I'm not one of them to dismiss someone's arguement, if they believe it so be but going "is mata overrated?" And then not saying much either way isn't getting anyone anywhere.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Ozil has had to deal with similar at times but doesn't stop people or the media calling him a flop.
Always disagreed and said they were all being incredibly harsh! He's had some poor games but for the most part when he's played I always thought he was pretty good. What did people expect, Ozil to carry Arsenal to the title, and if he doesn't, he's a flop? A bit ridiculous really. People in the media just can't wait to jump on certain people and call them shite or whatever, like with AVB, but then when it comes to one of their media darlings like Moyes, they don't ever say anything negative.

Anyways, Ozil and Mata are both world class players without a doubt IMO. Same with Silva, all of them brilliant players, but only Silva really shows it consistently as he's been at his club the longest and his team is in the best state. Don't think there's all that much between them at their best.

Duffy

Short answer: NO

Complex answer:
While he's not overrated per say, certain elements of his game are. People assume that Mata has a lot of goals and assists because he's a technical Spanish midget with the description "attacking midfielder". In truth, he scores and assists a lot because he's got what I like to call "a striker's awareness". He has the ability to be at the right place at the right time. He doesn't need to make defense-splitting passes or score classy goals. He's always there for the tap-in, whether he's last or second last on the ball. If you look at Mata's goals and assists so far, then you'll notice that few of them were results of impressive moves. His heel-kick assist to Januzaj was class, but other than that, his assists have been fairly simple passes, if I remember correctly. And then there's his set-pieces. The fact that he's good at set-pieces gives his game a whole new dimension.

Is Mata a better playmaker than the likes of Silva, Özil and yes, even Kagawa? In my opinion: no. In fact, he's most definitely not!

But Mata has something that these other players don't have, and that is ruthless effectivity. He's not the type of player to turn games around on a bad day, but when we don't suck(which we really should aspire to, being United and all), he's almost guaranteed to either score or assist. And that is valuable to have, regardless. In fact, that's the only reason we've let Rooney play in the AM position, despite being a crap AM.

Well, now we've got Mata, who's arguably just as effective as Rooney and has good technique! Rooney's "goals and assist guarantee" is pretty much rendered useless in the AM position now. You could make the argument that Kagawa shouldn't be ahead of Rooney in the pecking order for the AM position, because of his lacking effectivity. With Mata, you can't. Any sensible coach should see this. As long as we have Mata(and Kagawa imo), then Rooney really has no business in the AM role.

Mata is a brilliant player, possibly world class. He pretty much offers 80% of what Rooney offers, and 80% of what Kagawa offers. Combined it makes him unique. Kagawa is the better playmaker, but he needs a lot more playtime in order to reach his Dortmund form. And it's not even sure if he'll reach it. Might as well play him on the wing for a while. Rooney is the better goalscorer, but he has mediocre technique, creativity and passing.
See now @Nozzy , this would be a great op, not someone with just over 1000 post just making a daft knee-jerk thread like this.

I have no problem with somebody making a point but the op asked a question and did nothing to support his views, if someone made a fair well constructed point I'd say fair enough but to this thread title it just makes me wonder why.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Mata was superb at Chelsea, but he seems to have been knocked mentally by playing under Mourinho, who clearly didn't rate him.

The statistics prove that Ozil has more assists than any other player in the world over the last five seasons, so he's definitely up there.
Mata has been mentally knocked by playing under Mouinrho? Come on lad, you're on a massive WUM here. He barely played for the first half of the season, at least not consistently. He was hardly going to hit the ground running at United. One bad year doesn't suddenly make you a crap player.

Regarding Ozil, yes he is a fantastic player. But I'm not the one saying Mata is clearly worse. The order of Mata/Silva/Ozil is very much up to opinion, there is no factual order.

Nozzy

Come on, the op can have a different opinion I don't mind but Christ, they come on after a loss and posts 3 lines to support the thread title? At least make a valid arguement, some kind of back-up to the point :lol:

I'm not one of them to dismiss someone's arguement, if they believe it so be but going "is mata overrated?" And then not saying much either way isn't getting anyone anywhere.
Well I don't want to be accused (again) of repeating myself, hence my more brief contribution to this debate, on this thread, regarding this player - most seem to know my views - in short, a fine footballer, at the wrong club.

Still, flattered that of all the short replies to this thread, you pick mine out, cheers ;)

Last edited:

Kostur

海尔的老板

Pretty much, him and Hernandez were doing plenty of times today, trying to put pressure on Sunderland players ( it's not like Browns, O'Sheas, Colbacks are maestros on ball ), waving at our players while Young, Nani, Fletcher and Carrick did feck all and didn't press. Naturally there's no point in those two pressing if the rest is not following. Even Jones was complaining at Young at some point to start doing something.

Seriously, after today some cnuts shouldn't be allowed to play for us again atleast this season untill they work their stupid asses off on tour.

JunesBoy

Yep.. Mata is world class.. We just have to accept his quality.. I think our problem right now is having quite a few players that don't compliment each other..

Mata needs a box to box midfielder to buzz around him, typical to Sneider. The fact we expecting things out of him, he has no ability to deliver clouds our judgement.. Kinda like expecting Fellaini to be our playmaker..

As a unit we were poor today, don't want to read too much into it coz it seemed they are just trying to see the season out..added with the fact our manager just wants to give everyone game time irrespective of how unsuitable or varied they are to each others game..

He is a fine player I'd never wanna see us play against but don't think we will see the best of him unless there is change in footballing philosophy and structure.

El-Manos

Why is he overrated? Because he didn't score a 30 yard screamer today? He set up our wingers up several times, it's not his fault they feck up each time.

redevil2

Yep, our leader today mentally checked out when he signed a contract with a different club 5 months ago.

Yet, astonishingly, he still gets games and the armband.
Getting games is alright since he's a hard man who would be giving his all anyway but the armband should have been given to even Carrick for example, who would then take on more responsibility

bugmat

What is this thread? Mata is having to play with a team of brain dead lethargic one-paced cloggers atm

Duffy

Well I don't want to be accused (again) of repeating myself, hence my more brief contribution to this debate, on this thread, regarding this player - most seem to know my views - in short, a fine footballer, at the wrong club.

Still, flattered that of all the short replies to this thread, you pick mine out, cheers ;)
Not at all pal, yours are the more substantial and meaningful in the thread, it's the op I had an issue with, only replied to you because you quoted my own.

Nozzy

He's not the type of player to turn games around on a bad day, but when we don't suck(which we really should aspire to, being United and all), he's almost guaranteed to either score or assist. And that is valuable to have, regardless.
Of course the poor lad didn't set his transfer fee but if I see a player regarded by many, as the player 'to build a team around', I want more than a guy who makes a great contribution finishing off a dead duck, like Norwich or Newcastle or Villa or some other hopeless case.

In fact, that's the only reason we've let Rooney play in the AM position, despite being a crap AM. Well, now we've got Mata, who's arguably just as effective as Rooney and has good technique! Rooney's "goals and assist guarantee" is pretty much rendered useless in the AM position now.
To be fair to Rooney, much of his contribution is in a defensive capacity, adding a third player to the main two in midfield, when playing quality opposition (in previous seasons), whereas Mata cannot provide this.

Kagawa is the better playmaker, but he needs a lot more playtime in order to reach his
Well there's the thing, we know how unimaginably brilliant he was at Dortmund & we also know he's not had the time in his best position, to show us he can achieve the same level in the Prem. I'd have started him today, personally (if he was fit), as I feel he's the better playmaker to Mata (as is David Silva).

RedStarUnited

To put this thread into perspective, Ronaldo gets boo'd at Real Madrid....

What this season has shown is, out club is just like every other big club.