g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Is Mata overrated?

Castia

5 goals and 4 assists in 12 games despite the entire team struggling. Not good enough?

Exactly. He's also played probably half of those games out wide, he's nowhere near as influential there.

hobbers

He's one of the best playmakers in the world. Certainly in the Premier League he's second only to David Silva.

But as with all playmakers, they can only really be as good as the players they pass to.

Mister Ed

No he just plays in a team full of shit players that don't give a feck anymore and has been coached this season by a guy that doesn't know how to use him effectively and by a guy that doesn't know anything about coaching at all.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
No. Not his fault the other 5 players around him today were useless and fecked up almost every touch of the ball.

Blue always red

Over-rated? Yes. Producing anywhere near his best? No. The guy is a 15-20 goal midfielder and equal number in assists, the problem is the problem faced by every other United forward. There is feck all in front of him to play for because:

1) We have the intelligence of Steven Hawkins, but also the movement of Steven Hawkins. Unfortunately, all that intelligence goes to waste on a football field.
2) We lack devastating pace across the park and as a result we can't hit on the counter when people are actually running forward.

Once our team is geared to play a certain type of football, our best players will shine, depending on whether that system suits them. If the manager comes in and has a real hard-on for wingers and quick direct football with players running into channels pulling it back and putting a ball in, then unfortunately Mata will not thrive but if we buy Aguero as some of the reports are indicating then expect Mata and Kagawa to shine like the snow under a clear moon.

siw2007

No, he is a top midfielder but his game requires players around him being more active trying to find space and move off the ball. He can't do anything if the players are not doing anything in front of him.

AlwaysRedwood

No, he is a top midfielder but his game requires players around him being more active trying to find space and move off the ball. He can't do anything if the players are not doing anything in front of him.
He has the Kagawa problrm

Minimalist

He was one of the best players in the league at Chelsea. His volley against us is one of my favourite goals against United. He's been playing under David Moyes and Ryan Giggs so far in his short United career. Two managers woefully inadequate.

It's extremely unlikely he's lost it or is overrated.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I'm just gonna wait with my Michael Jackson popcorn gif, when we get a positive-thinking manager who knows how to use him. Then threads like these will become an even bigger joke than it already is now.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Seriously can please anyone who thinks he is overrated tell me what exactly Iniesta, Silva, or Nasri would have done better today? Would they have made Young look like a footballer with brain? Or what else?

Ekeke

He's found it more difficult than the likes of Silva and Ozil to find space between the lines and create openings from in the hole. He also likes to take a touch when he receives the ball and its always onto his left foot so its a bit predictable. A few things he needs to get sharper at. When he receives the ball with his back to goal and a defender marking him tightly he's also the weakest at holding off the challenge. I dont think its anything he cant remedy but its important to realize where hes coming up short so that he can improve those areas and be more influential and harder to snuff out of the game.

He does need help from central midfield and good movement up front as well, but there are certainly areas Mata himself needs to work on.

Bwuk

We have an awful midfield behind him, and some awful options out wide.

Sort that and he'd be fantastic.

United22

When the team collectively plays like it did today (fingers pointing at Carrick, Fletcher, Nani and Young), you can't really expect him to shine. Amongst the shitfest today he was nowhere near our worst performers. Lets judge him when we actually bring in a new manager and some new players because we clearly know what he is capable of; being a world class no 10 in his last 2 seasons at Chelsea. This whole thing is very reminiscent of the Kagawa situation

Devil may care

When he gets a chance to play with a proper pair of CM's behind him and some proper movement from the wide areas in front of him, then he can be judged.

Raul Madrid

Mata is an excellent player. Its debateable if he is world class imo but he is definitely not far off. Hes unlucky to play for a country that has an absolute abundance of world class midfield talent.

dev1l

Hes a good player, who has misfortune of having managers who dont know how to install him in the team so everyone layes to their full potential. But yes, hes a bit overrated here
the list of these managers seem to be growing i m afraid - mourinho,moyes and now giggs? You have a point though, i think Mata needs a team which basically plays for him - don't know if this fits within lvg tactics

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Nope, one of the few players within our team who can actually play football. Done well so far considering some of the football his team have been playing.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I really don't think he is overrated. He is just a player who doesn't suit our playing style. When we signed Mata I'm sure most of us were ecstatic. However I'm sure most of us knew that he isn't a natural for our game style hence all the threads about how we should play him.

alastair

ignorant
I've just had some stick in another thread for calling Mata not in the same class as Ozil/Silva/Hazard but I stand by it.

He's a very good player but I don't think he's right at the top level.

Mourinho had to choose a player to get rid of, and he chose him.

Moriarty

No, he's a very talented player. Bit of a square peg in the current set up though. Today, he carried a threat going forward but he was let down by those around him who failed to get into a position where Mata could pass to them.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I've just had some stick in another thread for calling Mata not in the same class as Ozil/Silva/Hazard but I stand by it.

You're out of your mind mate. The statistics prove you wrong, while Mata played for a poor Chelsea, Silva has played for a strong City side, and Ozil played for Real Madrid.

alastair

ignorant
You're out of your mind mate. The statistics prove you wrong, while Mata played for a poor Chelsea, Silva has played for a strong City side, and Ozil played for Real Madrid.
Mata was superb at Chelsea, but he seems to have been knocked mentally by playing under Mourinho, who clearly didn't rate him.

The statistics prove that Ozil has more assists than any other player in the world over the last five seasons, so he's definitely up there.

Nozzy

Every player needs a little bit of time to adjust to a new team. Mata came into a dysfunctional team, to expect he can change this on his own asking a bit much imo.
As did Eric

SolidState

You don't even know how ITK he is
One of the worst threads I've seen on this forum.

It's pretty clear he's busting a gut trying to create for the team and get into clever positions but how the hell are you supposed to effect the game when Fletcher is slipping on his arse every two seconds and literally waiting for the tracking back attackers to tackle him. If not then it's carrick passing the ball to the oppositions centre backs almost as if they aren't there or he can't see them.

Play wide? No chance, young is more focused on getting to the byline and hoofing the ball at the left backs chest, Nani?? Nope he wants to pass it back to carrick who proceeds to fire it over the keepers head with one of his "perfectly weighted" through balls...sigh I bet he was chuffed to come off for Welbeck and was sat there laughing his arse off with Kagawa.

He was even taking shots from distance.

Ekeke

Well no he didnt have to get rid of him, he could have actually used him instead of recruiting a billion other options like Willian and Schurrle. And he could have actually played him instead of the advanced defender he employs in Oscar.

Oh oh but Mata doesnt defend as much? He defends more than Hazard. Easily.

Nozzy

Reminds me of that tail end of the '92 season. A goal shy team, lacking confidence & creativity. Then we got Cantona, who lifted everyone with his silent charisma, silky skills & his ability to drive the team on, leading from the front & by example. I don't get any sense of that being repeated with the Mata signing. Given time & used properly he can prove useful - like last week.