Is Mata overrated?

The Azzurri

Our most expensive player, but to be honest I'm expecting him to significantly improves our midfield or add more to ours goals ratio. Discuss

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
No.
Next!

Blasphemy

He hasn't really done it for us so far like we'd wish but it's way too early to write him off.

Let Van Gaal rebuild the side, play him where he should be playing and see where we are in a years time.

saivet

Nope. We saw how good he was a Chelsea before Jose arrived.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Amount of times he opened the space for our 'attackers' today just for them to either stop midrun or feck things up with retarded cross was just hilarious.

And no, he isn't.

RustyS

No, he is unfortunate to play with such dross. The amount of times he puts people in good positions is ridiculous.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Should be building the team around him. Giggs not starting him last week, and taking him off and leaving on Hernandez today was idiotic.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Utter crap! He's a great player playing in failed side.

New manager, new players and he and the team will be fine

Kag

On the subject of Mata, the best footballer at the club, there must have been 6 or 7 seven really obvious occasions that Fletcher and particularly Carrick had the chance to play the ball through the middle to his feet, yet they stopped, ignored him and pumped it out wide.

MkPaul

learnt from the best
Amount of times he opened the space for our 'attackers' today just for them to either stop midrun or feck things up with retarded cross was just hilarious.

And no, he isn't.
This.

Our overall play was actually better today, the players who were delivering the final ball today were an embarrassment.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Nope. Not at all. We're just playing terrible football, and he's surrounded by pedestrians.

prarek

5 goals and 4 assists in 12 games despite the entire team struggling. Not good enough?

Sam

It was embarrassing the amount of time our midfield ignored him in acres of space today, just in order to sling it out wide to the marked wide men.

I'd have probably subbed myself if I was Mata today.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
And how dare you write DISCUSS at the end? What the feck is there to discuss? If you seriously think someone like Mata is overrated, you need to stop watching football.

buckooo1978

he's come into an awful side in fairness and its clear he has fantastic ability

next season when we freshen the first team up, have new ideas in the dressing room and get our heads sorted we will see the best of him

NJM78

Not a chance. Messi would look ordinary playing with this clueless bunch. Best player by far in first half.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
For a moment I had to check if I had been sent back to the newbies.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Carrick and Fletcher ignored him time and time again today. They looked for passes to the wing at every opportunity under orders from the manager. The class of 92 are not a fan of Mata and what he brings to the party, as Gary Neville keeps telling us.

Ash_G

Not for me. I don't know what people expect. If there were players running off the ball and making space for him/providing options and he wasn't putting in a good enough pass then have a go but what do people want? His options are limited by how we set up. Young was sticking wide or either flank and Nani may have made the odd run forward but it clearly not up to speed yet. That leaves Hernandez, who due to the limited movement from the other attacking players now has two CBs comfortably marking him.

Mata/Kagawa and players like them need others making runs to open space and provide options. Give that to them and they'll make things happen don't and they won't have a massive impact.

At some point we'll need to decide what sort of team we want to be. I hope that we get in two wingers who are comfortable wide but also comfortable running from out to in and allowed to because these are the players who will get the best out of someone like Mata. If we want wide players who will stay wide then I'm not sure Mata is needed.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
If he had players around him who share a similar level of technical ability, then Mata would be running riot. Mata being surrounded by players like Young, Carrick and Fletcher who constantly slow our play down means that Mata is shackled. Mata needs to play in a side that utilises quick phases of play. We don't. We don't play with pace. We don't play on the counter. We don't do anything. We get it out wide, and boot it towards the penalty spot. Mata is going to look awful in such a system.

Varun

Staff
No.

We have to realize that not every top footballer can do everything on his own. He needs a system to work in.

One would hope the penny would drop when top players like Kagawa and Mata both suddenly dont look as good as they are.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He was still the only one trying to create something only for our attackers to feck it up. Also had our almost only (?) shot on target at least.