Is Pogba as good as gone?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He will be in America at 30 then China after that.
Well we know that is what you wish. As you have said in another thread, your sole problem with Paul Pogba is that he’s just not a good footballer. Yea right pal.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
He was statistically our best player last season for goals, assists, chances created etc. Surely you’re on a wind up?
That just shows how rubbish the rest of the team is. Don't get me wrong, he is, or can be a fantastic player, and that 3 month stint where he really turned it on was great. But a player with his price tag, and on his wages needs to be doing that consistently week in week out over the duration of his contract...or at least give 110% each time he plays.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Well we know that is what you wish. As you have said in another thread, your sole problem with Paul Pogba is that he’s just not a good footballer. Yea right pal.
You would think someone might stop posting so much if they are embarrassing themself almost every post, but obviously not.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That just shows how rubbish the rest of the team is. Don't get me wrong, he is, or can be a fantastic player, and that 3 month stint where he really turned it on was great. But a player with his price tag, and on his wages needs to be doing that consistently week in week out over the duration of his contract...or at least give 110% each time he plays.
But no one does it consistently in a team where the rest is "rubbish", football is played with eleven players and they are supposed to all help each others and actually consistent players generally play in functioning and consistent teams.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The thing is, and while I agree and it is obvious that he reached a superhuman level for 3 months last season, that doesn’t mean that every time he doesn’t play to that level, he is rubbish. While not as good as that, he had a good two or three months at the beginning of the season too, with notable performances against Leicester, Young Boys, Everton and the comeback at Newcastle. He then got injured for a few weeks and then had 3 very bad games when he came back. After that was Ole.

Because he had a few games where he scored 2 goals a game - no, that’s not ‘what he should be doing every week’. It doesn’t work like that.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
He can't statistically become our best player last season for goals, assists, chances created etc if he's not putting the effort in consistently over the season surely?

If you want to compare Pogba to other top players, which is fair enough, you have to take into account that almost all of them (i struggle to actually think of any that don't) play in consistent and fully functioning teams.

In all the time Pogba has been here, when have we ever been a fully functioning unit with consistent performances? Throughout his time here, we have consistently been dysfunctional and extremely poor. I used to watch relegation teams play better football than us. Fact.

His period of bad form last season has been vastly overstated.

I watched all the matches and his 'poor' run coincided with Mourinho trying to create trouble. He had a bad 1 or 2 games, returning from injury culminating in the Southampton game. Before then, he was contributing a lot. Leicester, Everton, Young Boys, Chelsea, Newcastle, likely more i can't remember. That is all forgotten now though.

Last edited:
Let me know where to send your juve or real shirt when he moves
He's a United player, what an absolute weirdo of a post.

Supporting United player = flimsy fan who supports players rather than the club... that's some fecked up logic right there.

United were never gonna sell Pogba cheap, and only 2 players ever have gone for the kind of sum United would demand.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
But no one does it consistently in a team where the rest is "rubbish", football is played with eleven players and they are supposed to all help each others and actually consistent players generally play in functioning and consistent teams.
You hit nail on the head. Its all about teamwork, but it became increasingly obvious before he got injured that it was turning into the Pogba show...and not because he was the best player. From what I saw he became too big for his boots, taking the ball off the penalty taker, flailing arms every time he dawdle on the ball and got disposessed or misplacing passes and generally wandering round the pitch as if he wasn't interested. Not even gonna mention all the " I wanna leave stuff"

I actually hope he has taken this time out to hit the reset switch, come back in the right frame of mind and show the world that he is more than the hype and deserves to be talked about as one of the best players of this generation.
The thing is, and while I agree and it is obvious that he reached a superhuman level for 3 months last season, that doesn’t mean that every time he doesn’t play to that level, he is rubbish. While not as good as that, he had a good two or three months at the beginning of the season too, with notable performances against Leicester, Young Boys, Everton and the comeback at Newcastle. He then got injured for a few weeks and then had 3 very bad games when he came back. After that was Ole.

Because he had a few games where he scored 2 goals a game - no, that’s not ‘what he should be doing every week’. It doesn’t work like that.
I don't expect him to be 8,9,10 out of 10 every week or score or assist every game. I do expect a player with a world record transfer fee and a "world class" reputation to give 110℅ every game. If he did that week in week out, and cut out all the other "Mr big time" nonsense things would be different.

As things stand though I'd rather have Darren Fletcher though.

Like I said above though, I do hope he has taken this time out to reflect on the previous 4-5 months and gets his mindset back to that what made him such a special talent in the first place.

This Utd team cannot afford to wait around for him to decide he wants to do that here. There is something special brewing amongst this young team...hopefully he gets his head right and can help those lads take the next step.

JPRouve

Scout
You hit nail on the head. Its all about teamwork, but it became increasingly obvious before he got injured that it was turning into the Pogba show...and not because he was the best player. From what I saw he became too big for his boots, taking the ball off the penalty taker, flailing arms every time he dawdle on the ball and got disposessed or misplacing passes and generally wandering round the pitch as if he wasn't interested. Not even gonna mention all the " I wanna leave stuff"

I actually hope he has taken this time out to hit the reset switch, come back in the right frame of mind and show the world that he is more than the hype and deserves to be talked about as one of the best players of this generation.
This didn't happen. And football player are dispossessed and misplace passes there is nothing special about it, they also sometime show frustration particularly at themselves. From what I see, you are one of the people that live in their made up Pogba world.

fergiesarmy1

And until then? Should I send you his Manchester United one, the team you claim to support? Because that’s the one he wears now.
“Claim to support”?

I support the club not a player, if I happen to enjoy that player playing then great.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
He can't statistically become our best player last season for goals, assists, chances created etc if he's not putting the effort in consistently over the season surely?

If you want to compare Pogba to other top players, which is fair enough, you have to take into account that almost all of them (i struggle to actually think of any that don't) play in consistent and fully functioning teams.

In all the time Pogba has been here, when have we ever been a fully functioning unit with consistent performances? Throughout his time here, we have consistently been dysfunctional and extremely poor. I used to watch relegation teams play better football than us. Fact.

His period of bad form last season has been vastly overstated.

I watched all the matches and his 'poor' run coincided with Mourinho trying to create trouble. He had a bad 1 or 2 games, returning from injury culminating in the Southampton game. Before then, he was contributing a lot. Leicester, Everton, Young Boys, Chelsea, Newcastle, likely more i can't remember. That is all forgotten now though.
The only stat that matters to me is the score. Carrick's stats were never great, but he was still an integral part of the team.

So his poor form under Ole is Mourinho's fault too? Please remind me how Mourinho was causing trouble.

He needs to be stepping up against the likes of Man City and Liverpool too...he has the talent to go out and grap the game by the scruff of the neck, but he doesn't. When the chips are down he sulks instead of leading by example....but I suppose that's everyone else's fault eh?!

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
How was he ''too big for his boots, taking the ball off the penalty taker''? He was the penalty taker. He took them all last season.

''Misplacing passes and wandering around the pitch as if he wasn't interested''? He actually regularly tops our team for distance covered and pass accuracy, so where does this come from?

It sounds to me like you listen way too much to the media.

clarkydaz

So because we don't have clubs breaking down the door willing to give us the £150m we would expect, that means he's not one of the best?
If clubs thought he was worth the premium they would do it. Most clubs would take Pogba sure, just not gonna pay the going rate for him. what did Barca just pay for Griezmann? they have bloody Messi/Suarez in the side.

Wing Attack Plan R

I joined two futbol teams where I was the best player, and I hated it both times. Maybe that's how Pogba feels? Maybe he doesn't want to have the burden of being the only creative spark out there who can make something out of nothing? He certainly had a lot of great players around him at the World Cup.

Like Rooney before him, Pogba wants assurances that the club is going to go out and sign the best players in the world not just promote youth to the first team. I still think we should have cashed in last summer.

JPRouve

Scout
If clubs thought he was worth the premium they would do it. Most clubs would take Pogba sure, just not gonna pay the going rate for him. what did Barca just pay for Griezmann? they have bloody Messi/Suarez in the side.
That's mainly due to his position, goalscorers are always the most expensive players and midfielders are rarely in that type of bracket. Zidane and Kaka being the obvious exceptions and being considered at some point as the best players in world all positions considered. He isn't worth 150m and no current midfielder is.

cptkeane1993

Fantastic news for Man Utd if he's staying and for Ole's man-management skills.
On his day, he's amongst the best in the world and we don't have very many of those today admittedly.
It's up to Ole and team to figure out the best position to release the monster that Pogba can be - I think it's as the most advanced of a midfield 3 - like at Juve and at United in Jose's early days and when Ole just came in, but Ole knows best. He knows this United kid from the academy days..

He's been bearing a lot of the responsibility because he's our best and most expensive player but the drop-off in quality after him/DDG is steep. We need to (A) hope the board backs the team and gives him/Ole the support so you can build a team around him and (B) not expect that he'll be man of the match in every single game; even KDB, Kroos, etc have off days.

Given he's been out a while, I'm really excited to see him again in our team - it's really almost like a new signing as Ole said, and a world-class one at that, one the likes of Juve, RM and Barca would love to have. In fact, we should treat this as a new signing and start to watch some YouTube clips of what Pogba adds to any team. We all know his ability in the counter-attack but we also know he's the one who's going to help us breakdown those low block/ deep defence teams.

So, for starters... youtube.com/watch?v=VyVk1xmZMcE

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The only stat that matters to me is the score. Carrick's stats were never great, but he was still an integral part of the team.

So his poor form under Ole is Mourinho's fault too? Please remind me how Mourinho was causing trouble.

He needs to be stepping up against the likes of Man City and Liverpool too...he has the talent to go out and grap the game by the scruff of the neck, but he doesn't. When the chips are down he sulks instead of leading by example....but I suppose that's everyone else's fault eh?!
This ‘scruff of the neck’ thing again. This is another of the fundamental issues people have with Pogba. This idea of a midfielder winning games for the team regularly. The likes of City and Liverpool are great teams, a fair bit better than us in recent seasons. When a team is 20-30 points better than you, expecting one player to run the game against them is far fetched.

JPRouve

Scout
This ‘scruff of the neck’ thing again. This is another of the fundamental issues people have with Pogba. This idea of a midfielder winning games for the team regularly. The likes of City and Liverpool are great teams, a fair bit better than us in recent seasons. When a team is 20-30 points better than you, expecting one player to run the game against them is far fetched.
And he actually did step up against one of these teams which saw us win the game 2-3 but he had blue hair so it probably doesn't count.

Hammondo

That's mainly due to his position, goalscorers are always the most expensive players and midfielders are rarely in that type of bracket. Zidane and Kaka being the obvious exceptions and being considered at some point as the best players in world all positions considered. He isn't worth 150m and no current midfielder is.
de bruyne is.

DoomSlayer

de bruyne is.
True. I think even if Pogba has lacked in consistency, he more than makes it up in marketability, as it was proven that he is up there with Ronaldo and Messi in that regard.

I do believe that a full firing Pogba would be worth even more than KDB, if we consider all the external factors. He just has that charisma and showmanship to be an icon in the game, his style can also be a lot more pleasing to the eye with his flair and trickery.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.

We haven't been a very good team for years though. There's only so much one player can do. He as a cm, was top for goals/assists/chances created last season. What more output can a cm actually have? Carrick was part of a fully functioning team that contained top players and leaders. I'm glad you brought up Carrick. He not once, carried as much responsibility on the team as Pogba has. When was Carrick ever expected every match to control matches, as well as score goals, create chances & tackle?

What poor form under Ole? At the time he was injured, in the PL, he had created the same amount of chances as the rest combined, in less minutes.

Minutes played to chances created:

1363 – McTominay (6), Lingard (4), Fred (3) and Matić (0)
450 – Pogba (13)

He was played as defensive midfielder this season too.

Why do i need to remind you how Mourinho was causing trouble? It's well known, did you even watch us at all last season?

Stepping up? You mean like last season where he inspired the comeback vs City scoring 2? When Mourinho was on the brink of being sacked, he inspired the comeback vs Newcastle last season. He doesn't 'sulk' at all. That's very lazy criticism.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
de bruyne is.
He isn't, no current midfielder is and in the recent past only someone like Xavi would be worth it. De Bruyne end product relies entirely on his front three and the support that he gets from David Silva/Bernardo Silva and Rodri/Fernandinho. It's simply not good business to spend that type of money on something that doesn't work by itself and where at the end of day the sum of the correct parts can easily outperform the addition of these extremely expensive players. The only exceptions are top goalscorers these are rare and they can work in isolation.

DoomSlayer

He isn't, no current midfielder is and in the recent past only someone like Xavi would be worth it. De Bruyne end product relies entirely on his front three and the support that he gets from David Silva/Bernardo Silva and Rodri/Fernandinho. It's simply not good business to spend that type of money on something that doesn't work by itself and where at the end of day the sum of the correct parts can easily outperform the addition of these extremely expensive players. The only exceptions are top goalscorers these are rare and they can work in isolation.
I'm absolutely certain Perez would love to spend 150 million pounds or euros on De Bruyne, if he knew there was any chance of that transfer happening. Coutinho went for almost the same amount and he is not in the same league as De Bruyne.

Tarrou

I wish we had a Pogba thread where you were only allowed to discuss things he's actually done and said, as opposed to all the imaginary things people moan about

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
120m euros = £100m. Griezmann's release clause was still £50m less than Pogba. When you factor in that strikers go for more than midfielders generally, is it that far-fetched?

JPRouve

Scout
I'm absolutely certain Perez would love to spend 150 million pounds or euros on De Bruyne, if he knew there was any chance of that transfer happening. Coutinho went for almost the same amount and he is not in the same league as De Bruyne.
Loving and being worth it are two different things. My point is that he isn't worth it and Pogba isn't either, if a club do it it's their problem but the seller will laugh his way to the bank as Liverpool did with Coutinho.

Irrational.

People defending Raiola now...Jesus. Being played like a fiddle.

The only reason Pogba stays is if nobody is willing to pay and it results in a big pay day for them.
Bingo.

Real couldn't cough up, and will not be willing to cough up what we want for him (£100m+). Especially after their latest shiny new (fat) toy in Hazard. Had they paid up, he'd have definitely been out of here. Other teams (PSG, City, Juve) that could possibly afford him won't touch him either, because of FFP breathing down their necks or their already extortionate wage bills.

He's kinda stuck here and I think he and the fat slug have come to terms with that. Hello big juicy new contract, or knuckle down, run down the contract and get a hefty sign-on fee. Win win.

M Bison

Supports
York City
This is the level of insanity that some United fans are at. I rate McT very highly but he is no where near the overall ability of Pogba.
You’re missing my point. Pogba has more ability, but if I could only have for the game on Sunday, I’d go with McT.

“Ability” only gets you so far.

DoomSlayer

Loving and being worth it are two different things. My point is that he isn't worth it and Pogba isn't either, if a club do it it's their problem but the seller will laugh his way to the bank as Liverpool did with Coutinho.
A player is worth what someone is willing to spend. Basic economics.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Bingo.

Real couldn't cough up, and will not be willing to cough up what we want for him (£100m+). Especially after their latest shiny new (fat) toy in Hazard. Had they paid up, he'd have definitely been out of here. Other teams (PSG, City, Juve) that could possibly afford him won't touch him either, because of FFP breathing down their necks or their already extortionate wage bills.

He's kinda stuck here and I think he and the fat slug have come to terms with that. Hello big juicy new contract, or knuckle down, run down the contract and get a hefty sign-on fee. Win win.
I predicted this. For a certain faction, there will be no way Pogba can continue with credit. They have purported to know all of his motives so far, and if he signs a new deal, they will decide the motives for that too which allows them to continue their vendetta as he’s still not one of us.