Is Pogba as good as gone?

laughtersassassin

Did you not read his Tweet? He seems to be content "wasting his prime at a 5th place team" as long as he receives more support. An improved contract, in other words.

We shouldn't judge him for taking this course of action, though. When you find yourself in a position strong enough to make demands of a filthy-rich corporation such as Man United, it would be a crime not to take full advantage of the situation. He's only human after all.
Support clearly means better players in this context. Also our fans hating him doesn't help.

SAFMUTD

Baffles me why fans cant see Pogba as a failed transfer.

Incredible really.

Insane fee, insane wages and the guys form/commitment/attitude have warranted nothing but criticism.

He's egotistical, over hyped and believes in his own self worth more than anything else.

I've never been a fan of his coming back, and am absolutely sick of debating over this guy. He's shown at times glimpses, but never more. He's never grown into the player we hoped he would and he's caused way more problems than he's solved. Hell, we changed formations and signed players to "get the best out of him" and he's still been bang average.

He's been an absolute flop here for the 2nd time. We've put up with him for "marketing reasons" and cashed in on his name and shirt sales. Footballing wise, it's hard to justify.

He's been angling for a move for nearly 2 seasons yet sections of our fans still adore him and cant see a future without him. Time to wake up and move on

Glimpses? lets look at some statistics from last season.

Most goals: Pogba
Most assists: Pogba
Most chances created: Pogba

and still our best player was voted Luke Shaw...Pogba is really unappreciated here, I can't imagine any other player from our squad putting up those numbers and not being loved unanimously, I don't know what is it with fans with Pogba that it seems no matter what he does its not enough, if the team is struggling then Pogba is a total failure as if it was only his responsability to carry all the weight.

As of changing formations and signed players to get the best out of him...which formations have we changed to make it suit him? which players have we brought? I cant imagine we brought Fred or Matic to make Pogba look better. Literally those are the only two new players we brought for the midfield since Pogba returned.

Some people just hate him and no matter what he does it wont be enough for them.

laughtersassassin

Maybe if he put a bit more effort in on the pitch we might have the success to earn the money to be able to get the top players again.
My word. The moving of goalposts to make Pogba our every problem and biggest problem is the maddest thing going. The hate for him is crazy.

DFreshKing

The best 10 we have but not top class as part of a double pivot. Better 10s out There but no one is willing to pay the transfer fee for this world class player. Something doesn't add up somewhere so of course he is happy to stay with more support. Normally when players have been our for a few months they say things like, I can't wait to repay managers/fans faith, not Pogba he wants more support... If only we had a buyer.

laughtersassassin

Not sure how you got to that from that response.
You think Pogba effort and performances has a major impact in our ability to improve the team? It would be miniscule. Our lack of ambition and terrible planning from our owners is the reason we can't be a top team.

Like mate think. Swap Pogba for your perfect midfielder. De Bruyne or whoever. That won't change the fact our owners and Ed feck up constantly. Madness.

Denis' cuff

Nobody is prepared to pay more than 50m for him. He suddenly “wants to stay”.

The fat slob of an agent will be putting in demands for a contract around Sanchez levels.

Be nice if he showed he was a better mf than McTom, never mind worlds best.

tjb

They just found it he isn't as valuable in the market as they thought. United aren't Arsenal, you can't just leave, we can afford to price teams out of the market for a player. When Spurs can do that with Kane, how did anyone expect United would let Pogba go for anything less that 150m.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
You think Pogba effort and performances has a major impact in our ability to improve the team? It would be miniscule. Our lack of ambition and terrible planning from our owners is the reason we can't be a top team.

Like mate think. Swap Pogba for your perfect midfielder. De Bruyne or whoever. That won't change the fact our owners and Ed feck up constantly. Madness.
No i think if Pogba performed to the best of his abilities we'd have less issues with the team to worry about. He hasn't up to this season. We've obviously missed him though because players like Pereira and Mata are nowhere near good enough.

arthurka

Nothing wrong with what he said.. our goal should be to build a team where we can release Pogba.

Tarrou

He won’t get his usual pound of flesh from the Haaland deal if the buy-out clause is real, so he probably thought «Feck it, I’ll get mine anyway!».
If the clause is real that’s great for the agent, surely?

It’s not like the agent fee comes out of the transfer fee

Tarrou

This is great news. The challenge for Ole now is to fit Pogba into this team in the most effective way possible. I’m not sure it’s as a 10 personally, but let’s see.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Support means better players in this context. Also, our fans hating him doesn't help.
The meaning behind these tweets are almost always left open to interpretation so you could be right, but I think given his strong position and the timing of the tweet; less than a year remaining on his current contract and he is the only world-class player in our weakest area of the pitch, it looks like he's angling for a huge payday.

Or perhaps he wants both a fat new contract and equally fat investment in the squad. Similar to Rooney, who was successful with that approach.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
If he is actually staying it would be great news. There used to be a time when the greatest players wanted to play for Manchester United. Lately it’s been hard to attract them, so we can’t afford to let one of the few we have leave. If we get the proper players in and continue to improve, he’d actually want to spend the prime of his career here and others will follow.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I think when you have one year left on your contract and are amongst the most valuable players, contract talks are inevitable anyway.
Yeah, Indeed.

Raiola will also be keenly aware that the club recently began saving £12 million a year on wages (or thereabouts) following the summer clearout of the deadwood. You'd have to assume he plans to take advantage of that small fact.

Giggsyking

when we dominate in matches he will be needed, he can make silk passes or he himself can be at the end of a cross, he is our best header in the team. I cant wait for his return.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The meaning behind these tweets are almost always left open to interpretation so you could be right, but I think given his strong position and the timing of the tweet; less than a year remaining on his current contract and he is the only world-class player in our weakest area of the pitch, it looks like he's angling for a huge payday.

Or perhaps he wants both a fat new contract and equally fat investment in the squad. Similar to Rooney, who was successful with that approach.
While I have suspected the contract angle a few months ago, he actually has 2 years and a half on his contract since there is a one year option.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
Interesting stuff. Clearly wanted to leave and goto Real so whats the motive?
I guess noones going to cough up anywhere near enough and this wont change with him on the sidelines.
In his and our interests to play well. He can put himself back in the shop window and hopefully help propel us up the table. Obviously a fat payrise in the meantime is the ask.
As much as I wanted him gone so we could rebuild with players who were comitted, its probably worth offering the big deal. If it means him putting in 100% that would be great and if it leads to him getting his Real move we will cash in vs him in last year or so of contract

Classical Mechanic

I’ve said all along that there’s no club that going to be seriously in for him in terms of economics. Perez wants him for peanuts or not at all and I don’t see Juve throwing Ronaldo money at this. No surprise that he’s looking to stay

M Bison

Supports
York City
Nobody is prepared to pay more than 50m for him. He suddenly “wants to stay”.

The fat slob of an agent will be putting in demands for a contract around Sanchez levels.

Be nice if he showed he was a better mf than McTom, never mind worlds best.
Agreed. At the moment, i'd take McT over Pogba all day - if we had to choose one to leave, no contest, Pogba without hesitation.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Agreed. At the moment, i'd take McT over Pogba all day - if we had to choose one to leave, no contest, Pogba without hesitation.
Pogba is clearly a better midfielder than McTominay, come on now.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
This is all very Rooney 2010 isn't it? :rolleyes:

KrasHammerhand

This is the level of insanity that some United fans are at. I rate McT very highly but he is no where near the overall ability of Pogba.