Is Rashford better than the likes of Saint Maximin?

Idxomer

Reading the first few posts, it's actually crazy how long Rashford's form has been bad for. Getting to a point where we have to admit it's not just form.
It had already been almost a year since he had a good game at the time of this thread.

The Hacker

No - but they’re different players.

ASM is a beast! a powerhouse who can take players on, or likes to take them on and use his strength to push through challenges.

Rashford relied on his pace in the main. His actual technical ability is poor for where he has been pitched. Add to that the confidence issues, he’s no where near the all round player ASM is at the moment.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
An inferior squad where he’s the main man and doesn’t have every team he’s playing against raising their game because they’re playing Manchester United. I assume he’s having a good game today given a post from months ago is being quoted.
Rashford fanbois :lol:

AshRK

If rashford gives even half of the work rate Saint Maxim is offering, he will do better.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Rashford’s heights as a footballer are better (I don’t think ASM would have the mentality/ability to score the PSG penalty, Chelsea free kick, possibly the Etihad goal) but if you average all of their performances it’s very close.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
ASM was sensational today. But one should never judge a footballer based on one game, especially right after it.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Rashford has been off his game for a very long time now so ASM is currently the better player. There is no guarantee that Rashford is able to or has the motivation to get interested in playing again.

Scottynaldinho

Rashford’s heights as a footballer are better (I don’t think ASM would have the mentality/ability to score the PSG penalty, Chelsea free kick, possibly the Etihad goal) but if you average all of their performances it’s very close.
Please stop.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
ASM's game is all based on the fear of what he can do. But most of the time it's a totally idle threat that comes to nothing.
However, Rashy hasn't worried many teams for a long time now. And simply can't dribble like ASM does.

Valencia Shin Crosses

But the question wasn’t who had the better career. It’s who is the better player right now. Which is clearly ASM and has been for a bit now.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Please stop.
What?

I hate when people reply things like this. If you disagree with something that is said, don’t be fecking lazy, and at least try spending 20 seconds explaining what you don’t agree with :confused:

Amanda Hugginkiss

Can't see City sticking 5 defenders on Rashford like they did today with ASM no matter what time in the game

acnumber9

If Saint Maximin played for United our fans would be crying non stop about him. Put both on the market and Rashford goes to a better club for more money.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
ASM was sensational today. But one should never judge a footballer based on one game, especially right after it.
You're right, it is the worst time, and a couple games into a new season isn't an ideal place to do it either. He was excellent at the start of last season but didn't carry that out over the whole season. He is extremely talented, but he also has a lot deficiencies that he would have to improve on as well as overall consistency to take that next step up.

Having said that, I do think he's been better than Rashford for a while. Rashford has hit brilliant heights, and has some strengths ASM doesn't have, but he needs to get back to a certain level.

Stadjer

If Saint Maximin played for United our fans would be crying non stop about him. Put both on the market and Rashford goes to a better club for more money.
Rashford comes from Manchester United and is English. That is why he would go for more money, not because he is better than ASM.

Varane around town

Not at the moment he's not. He's not even close.

I hope I'm wrong but I feel like Raahford is in very very serious danger of doing a Dele.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Don’t even know the answer to this to be honest..: we could easily sign saint maximin and he becomes awful. We turn a lot of players into trash… also different players are only good at certain teams… once they move to a big team it might not work. I think rashford would do wonders at Newcastle.

Tyrion

The off field stuff takes up a lot of headspace. Wouldn’t rule it out.
I think people blame that just because it makes headlines. Some players play a few hours of games a night, Rooney was our best player while having affairs, Ronaldo runs a mini-business empire. People don't blame those things because the players played well while they made headlines.

acnumber9

Rashford comes from Manchester United and is English. That is why he would go for more money, not because he is better than ASM.
Nobody has went for Saint Maximin. Why is that?

Last edited:

Ricardo de la Vega

People would crucify Saint Maximin here - even today when he was brilliant he gave the ball away totally needlessly about 3 or four times just passing it blind to no-one. Its what he does - unpredictable, maverick brilliance combined with power and pace - but sometimes he can be gash because of it. Rashford just seems to have nothing anymore though. He looks a shell of a man at present.

izec

People would crucify Saint Maximin here - even today when he was brilliant he gave the ball away totally needlessly about 3 or four times just passing it blind to no-one. Its what he does - unpredictable, maverick brilliance combined with power and pace - but sometimes he can be gash because of it. Rashford just seems to have nothing anymore though. He looks a shell of a man at present.
Dont think they would. Rashford does all the bad stuff without the good stuff. People would have crucified ASM a decade ago, nowadays most would be happy, seeing the dross we have on our wing currently.

izec

ASM has so much potential, but his end product and consistency lets him down a bit. First half terrific, second half no end product. But he is always dangerous and binds defenders. You cannot blame him for not trying.

Rossa

Genuinly, it’s more a questionnof who is better, Rashford or Elanga. On current form, Elanga offers more in terms of pace and hard work. Rashford only seems half arsed. It’s been a long while since he dis what Maxim did today.

santeria13

Sublemon
Don't know how this is even a conversation. Rashford is up there with the worst wingers/forwards in the league, both in terms of output, work rate and overall performance for way over a year now. That's not even me exaggerating. It's just reality. Seriously, name me a winger in the PL who has been worse than him over the last 18 months.

The only thing rashford has going for him is his seemingly untouchable public image and he's obviously well connected with some journos.

Has he reached greater heights than Saint-Maxim ? Sure, but that's about where the debate ends IMO. If a player is 25 and we're still talking about 'potential' then there's a serious problem with said players mentality.

Last edited:

Stadjer

For three years? City spent £100m on one last season.
But this is about Rashford and ASM. They got Grealish who, when at Villa, was better than both. I never claimed that ASM is the best left winger in the world. If you wanted to buy a player right now and could pick between Rashford and ASM i would pick ASM.

Pirlo'sBeard

Not even a debate and hasn't been for years. Whilst ASM has been improving, Rashford has been regressing. Rashford is one of the worst players in the league. Genuinely offers nothing.

Banana Republic

Rashford is way better.

First of all he's English. Second he feeds the children.

Case closed.
Wasn’t the feeding the kids thing, something that happened 2 years ago?
Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, I’m sure than in response to accusations towards the end of 2021, that his “ off the field activities” were affecting his day job, his PR (or people “close to “ his camp) claimed that he hadn’t done as much of the charity work in 2021 and almost none since the start of the season ( that’s last season).
If that‘s the case, that’s over a year ago now.

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
You know who Rashford reminds me of? Anthony Joshua.
Both are clearly talented and have achieved a lot but stopped just short of the top and stagnated relatively early. Perhaps they just reached their respective ceiling.

I can't put my finger on it but it feels like it's also something down to the culture, the media, the pressure, the politically correct role model-image that seems to be the common factors. MBE, OBE and what not.

Also feels like that the british media and population alike have too much patriotism/national pride bigging up their own. Either that or they are simply deluded and don't understand how good the talent pool is abroad. Either way it gets painful when reality doesn't match the image.

It's quite funny being an avid boxing fan seeing how some bang average british boxers are hyped up as being top 5-10 in their respective weight class when the reality is they might be top 20-40. Same thing in football. In boxing it's called "he's only fought tomato cans and cab drivers" if there is a prospect from some back water country. In football it's "he's only done it in a farmers league" which means every league besides EPL and La Liga.

Boondog

I admit I have a soft spot for Rashford. If he can't improve under this manager though I think that will be enough for me. It's time for him to either step it up or go somewhere there is less pressure to perform.

Theo88

I’ve been saying for a long time we need to lure ASM in. At least he would be fun watching.

Not happening now but happy for a Rash Maximin swap

Boondog

I can't put my finger on it but it feels like it's also something down to the culture, the media, the pressure, the politically correct role model-image that seems to be the common factors. MBE, OBE and what not.

Also feels like that the british media and population alike have too much patriotism/national pride bigging up their own. Either that or they are simply deluded and don't understand how good the talent pool is abroad. Either way it gets painful when reality doesn't match the image.
I'm not British and I've been in his corner since day one. I think it's that he's a good kid, at least that's what it is for me.

But I also think you are correct about the culture. Forwards here seem to stall out short of their potential.