Is Southgate underrated by the CAF?

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Exactly. He's done better than most England managers have (the argument that this is the best England squad ever is BS) and isn't given fair credit.

He shouldn't be given the United job and I'd be amazed if he got a full season.
I think he would do well at club level. The only question is tournaments with him. Other than that I believe he would work wonders with a youthfull side like united. I really hope united don’t go for him .

Partridge

Exactly. He's done better than most England managers have (the argument that this is the best England squad ever is BS) and isn't given fair credit.

i dunno whos arguing about this being the best england squad ever, but we have had better players who have won feck all collectively. The golden Generation my feckin ass..

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
His gameplan was chronically flawed. You don't sit deep and counter at home against Italy, who are doing the same thing. It's ill suited to our attackers in the match day squad, it killed our momentum coming into the final and it was a sure hit way of quietening our own crowd from "lets fecking go at them" into " feck, worried here, lets hold on against their attacks". It's completely defeatist and, no, it wasn't working because we got played off the park almost the entiregame.
Even if you somehow acknowledge a counter approach, it's astounding heeven didn't bother playing our best threat in a counter attack (Rashford) the entire game (?!)

Not quite, he hooked our biggest creative outlet in Saka (who was proving very tricky to handle). And he didnt go for the equaliser until too late (overly conservative, true to form). Again, his leading goal scorer was Rashford, who got what 5 minutes against France?

This is a manager who has 4 wins out of 24 attempts against sides ranked top 10 in the World. It's borderline offensive to suggest there aren't dozens of coaches out there who can manage a better record than him with the same squad. There is literally no redeeming quality in him as a coach outside of him being a likeable bloke. His set up is poor, his tactics are conservative, he almost always makes mistakes in starting XIs and he has proven time and time again to get in game subs wrong.

He has such a terrific squad this Euros, I genuinely think (thankfully) that there are so many superb alternatives to the first XI that he can't possibly feck it up. However I also wouldnt be surprised if he found a way to.
Great post.

His defensive mindset would be tolerable if there was some 'Mourinho' spikiness to it, some vague will to win. Southgate fecking surrenders games like no manager I've ever seen. He almost managed it vs Denmark.

diarm

@giorno are you seriously trying to convince people that Southgate is some sort of tactical savant because his uber defensive, 5 at the back and two defensive mids gave Italy a tough half hour in the final of the Euros?

This is an Italy side that has failed to qualify for the last two World Cups. It's not Pep's Man City that he outfoxed with a bout of tactical genius here - he's just shut up shop and poxed his way through a tournament with negative, cowards football, only to fall short against a grand but nothing special side who had the balls to have more of a go when it mattered. Exactly the same as when he went out to Croatia in the World Cup.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
@giorno are you seriously trying to convince people that Southgate is some sort of tactical savant because his uber defensive, 5 at the back and two defensive mids gave Italy a tough half hour in the final of the Euros?
Nah, i'm pointing out people blaming Southgate for single-handedly stopping England from winning are delusional

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Nah, i'm pointing out people blaming Southgate for single-handedly stopping England from winning are delusional
What's delusional is this idea that a better manager can't navigate big games better than he has.

Theonas

Scout

This is an Italy side that has failed to qualify for the last two World Cups. It's not Pep's Man City that he outfoxed with a bout of tactical genius here - he's just shut up shop and poxed his way through a tournament with negative, cowards football, only to fall short against a grand but nothing special side who had the balls to have more of a go when it mattered. Exactly the same as when he went out to Croatia in the World Cup.
I thought it was common consensus that Italy played the best football in the last Euros coming off the back a record winning run. They are not Pep's City but they played some of the best international football in recent times.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I genuinely think anyone wanting him to be our manager has to be a closet Liverpool fan.

This man embodies failure and lack of pedigree at club level and we'll be a laughing stock with him in charge.

Crimson King

I think he would do well at club level. The only question is tournaments with him. Other than that I believe he would work wonders with a youthfull side like united. I really hope united don’t go for him .
Let Liverpool have him to replace Klopp then.

Andersons Dietician

So wasn’t he Ashworths preferred option for managing the England set up he had created. He just seems like a total Yes man. As a Scotsman having watched England over the years and supporting your opposition for every game it has always felt like he has held England back.

Lets not kid ourselves here, individually you have a quite a team to pick from and yet somehow it seems like they don’t play to the potential.

I would hate for that to be the case at United. He is just so uninspiring it’s unreal.

The Urban Goose

I'd be saying the same if the rumours were about Liverpool. And I'd also be trolling.

Fundamentally, he's a coward. He'll never be suitable for a team that should be winning more often than not. He'd be alright for a Fulham type but shouldn't be anywhere near a top-6 club.

Robbie Boy

:lol:

kaku06

The brainwashing has started already. The feeble minds of some folks have convinced them that Southgate isn’t actually that bad if you deep it and now they want to infect as many as possible with the same ideology and rancid logic.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
He has done a fairly decent job, but with how well coached the England squad players are at club level, there is a sense that they are wasted with him as the manager.

Guardiola, Klopp, Tuchel, Arteta e.tc. the England players have all had positional based coaches, and that is the kind of coach that would get the best out of them. Southgate doesn't have the time, the ability or the coaching staff to implement a functional positional system.

It's a shame, because I believe Pep Guardiola or Mikel Arteta could have done wonders with this team.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
The brainwashing has started already. The feeble minds of some folks have convinced them that Southgate isn’t actually that bad if you deep it and now they want to infect as many as possible with the same ideology and rancid logic.
Yes a dull draw against Brazil will be seen as a smart well coached match by a well rounded mgr suited to calm any team and fan base in the PL.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Yes a dull draw against Brazil will be seen as a smart well coached match by a well rounded mgr suited to calm any team and fan base in the PL.
you’ll be begging for him to arrest the decline after klopp.

kaku06

Would you take Southgate at Liverpool to replace Klopp?

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Would you take Southgate at Liverpool to replace Klopp?
I would revolt if he was even mentioned. I’m convinced England win in spite of his ridiculous stubbornness and conservative play in the really big games. No I’m just taking the p**s. But it will be amusing in the buildup to the summer when he will keep getting mentioned as the next united manager.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yeah, sure, and? Who should England hire?
Honestly there are dozens of managers who can get this team playing more proactive football. If you want a list you're purposely being obtuse.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
as usual, we play shite, uninspiring football, with shite, uninspiring squad picks and lose against anyone in the top 10. yet somehow he’s the right man for the job.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Imagine this absolute chancer getting the United job. I'm not that worried cause I don't think they're stupid enough to do it.
ashworth’s been sitting his garden, stroking pictures of southgate for weeks.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We have an English squad that's well versed in intricate plays and carving sides open at will for their clubs. This Brazil side is capable of the same with some great play in the final third, despite the manager having his squad dispersed more around Europe and south America.

And here we are, seeing 90 minutes of our players effectively going wide and crossing it in the box for pot luck headers, at best.

Its astounding really, how Southgate is held in any positive regard whatsoever.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He’s far far to tactically naive for top level club football. He failed at Middlesbrough and that’s his only club level experience.

He then did absolutely feck all with England U-21s, in 2015 they finished bottom of their group at the Euros. His final competition before failing upwards to the full national team.

Zero chance he would be a success at any Premier League club let alone one with aspirations for the league.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
as usual, we play shite, uninspiring football, with shite, uninspiring squad picks and lose against anyone in the top 10. yet somehow he’s the right man for the job.
For shame. Go back and read @giorno 's 1000 posts in this thread and educate yourself about the master of international football!

TsuWave

Hopefully Liverpool goes after him to replace Klopp

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Honestly there are dozens of managers who can get this team playing more proactive football. If you want a list you're purposely being obtuse.
Name them

Telsim

Inert, uninspired, dull football by a team made less than the sum of its parts.

He will fit perfectly here.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I thought it was common consensus that Italy played the best football in the last Euros coming off the back a record winning run. They are not Pep's City but they played some of the best international football in recent times.
In here its obviously not. Many in here are imagining Italy were an also ru n of a team and Southgate caused England "to sit back" rather than them being forced back by a clearly superior team...