Is Sterling the best english player at the moment?

Hammondo

Similar stats right? One is having one of his worst seasons while the other is apparently proving his haters wrong

Guess who the other guy is?

It's me Kaku
You cannot judge a player on stats.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Most City fans appreciate how good a player he is but there's no doubt that he does frustrate particularly in one on one situations when it seems easier to score.
There are some who want rid but they're mostly the arrogant newbies who've recently latched on to the club.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Most City fans appreciate how good a player he is but there's no doubt that he does frustrate particularly in one on one situations when it seems easier to score.
There are some who want rid but they're mostly the arrogant newbies who've recently latched on to the club.
ain’t that most of your fans? :confused:

padr81

Supports
Man City
Fair. Raheem is incredibly frustrating but his movement is world class. His football brain is second to none. If you gave him someone like Sancho's tekkers or even Rashfords ability to strike a ball he'd put up Salah like numbers. He struggles with the most basic thing (kicking a ball). His weight of pass is shocking and his finishing is poor. But his positioning, dribbling, brain and knowing what to do at what time is top, top level. He's also kinda nerfed at City because defenses play so deep his pace is nullified.

Great to see him back and in form the last 6 weeks.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Fair. Raheem is incredibly frustrating but his movement is world class. His football brain is second to none. If you gave him someone like Sancho's tekkers or even Rashfords ability to strike a ball he'd put up Salah like numbers. He struggles with the most basic thing (kicking a ball). His weight of pass is shocking and his finishing is poor. But his positioning, dribbling, brain and knowing what to do at what time is top, top level. He's also kinda nerfed at City because defenses play so deep his pace is nullified.

Great to see him back and in form the last 6 weeks.
Yeah... don't get carried away.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah... don't get carried away.
Wanna tell me players who consistently makes the right runs and gets in the right positions more often who play on the wing? Because there are very few, who play on either flank. Sterling doesn't have the gift that players like Messi or the physique of some of the bigger stronger wingers like Bale, he makes up for it with good movement, great positioning and a brilliant understanding of the game. But hit me with 5 wingers who follow the game and read it better than him if you like.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Wanna tell me players who consistently makes the right runs and gets in the right positions more often who play on the wing? Because there are very few, who play on either flank. Sterling doesn't have the gift that players like Messi or the physique of some of the bigger stronger wingers like Bale, he makes up for it with good movement, great positioning and a brilliant understanding of the game. But hit me with 5 wingers who follow the game and read it better than him if you like.
Oh so now is "who play on either flank". Well I don't know, Messi? Ronaldo?

padr81

Supports
Man City
Oh so now is "who play on either flank". Well I don't know, Messi? Ronaldo?
Well positions are relative when discussing these things. Ronaldo has been a no.9 for the last 10 years. Messi is obviously a cert. So thats one, even counting Ronnie thats 2. A football brain for a top CB and CF are going to be very different aren't they?

KennyBurner

Sterling has been the best English player for a while now. His performance and importance during the euros all but secured it for me.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
His greatest quality is his movement, he misses a lot but he keeps finding himself at the right place. He's very good in urgent situations but when he has to think about what to do, he messes up almost every time and that's what makes him a very frustrating player to watch.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Well positions are relative when discussing these things. Ronaldo has been a no.9 for the last 10 years. Messi is obviously a cert. So thats one, even counting Ronnie thats 2. A football brain for a top CB and CF are going to be very different aren't they?
I agree with most of what you're saying, I was just taunting you because "best football brain" is a pretty bold title when players like Messi, Ronaldo, KdB, Kroos etc. exist. He's a smart player though and he was able to absord Pep's gameplan almost perfectly.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Hasn't he been there longer than most of the players on that list!
Sterling signed in 2015 - 25.081minutes played
Aguero signed in 2011 - barely played in his last season at city - total minutes played for city 27.816
Mahrez signed in 2018 12.000 minutes played
De Bruyne signed in 2015 same year as Sterling - 23.245 minutes played
Jesus was signed in 2017 and has played 10000 minutes(111 games) less than Sterling

jesperjaap

Will get slaughtered, he was really decisive in the EUros with his goals. I think he has improved as a player intelligence and movement and positioning wise........

But, I still dont think he as actually even very good at the Euros performance wise bar the obviously important decisive moments. Think he had two really good games, but especially early on in the tournament he was frustrating the hell out of me, running down blind alley, running at players when he should have played a simply pass, running at players when there was a really progressive pass on.

Best player for England....no over the last couple of years for ENgland internationally, Pickford, Walker, Kane are all ahead of him and from the title of best English player....not there are a few more I would add.

I thought he was brilliant at Liverpool and in his early England days thought he may go on to become a world star player, had a very good career but I still dont think he is really world class, telling none of the huge clubs outside of ENgland seemed to move for him

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
What other examples can you give.
David Beckham at Manchester.Roberto Baggio at Juventus are two mega examples. The right circumtances can make it happen

How did they not get rid?
Manchester City under Pep have one policy. If you are unhappy you can leave. No matter who you are. They are confident they can replace you. They would have loved to keep sterling but he just wasn't happy.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I do wonder if he will EVER get the respect he deserves. I remember when he chose to leave Liverpool how most pundits said he'd killed his career, a number said Jordan Ibe, also coming through at the time would 'far surpass him", and he'd struggle to make it at City. Then after a first season of settling there then took offl and even after all these years of service his level is still questioned. Its baffling.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
Will get slaughtered, he was really decisive in the EUros with his goals. I think he has improved as a player intelligence and movement and positioning wise........

But, I still dont think he as actually even very good at the Euros performance wise bar the obviously important decisive moments. Think he had two really good games, but especially early on in the tournament he was frustrating the hell out of me, running down blind alley, running at players when he should have played a simply pass, running at players when there was a really progressive pass on.

Best player for England....no over the last couple of years for ENgland internationally, Pickford, Walker, Kane are all ahead of him and from the title of best English player....not there are a few more I would add.

I thought he was brilliant at Liverpool and in his early England days thought he may go on to become a world star player, had a very good career but I still dont think he is really world class, telling none of the huge clubs outside of ENgland seemed to move for him
You can't be serious. I'm not a huge fan of Sterling but there's no way you can say those 2 have been better or have contributed more to the English NT than Sterling.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
The only other contender is John Barnes and he played a lot as midfielder as well. Of course England usually didn't play with wingers but it's incredible that Sterling is top 3 English wingers all time.
Barnes, Beckham, Hoddle, Keegan, Ball, Beardsley, McManaman are the only other top wingers for England really. Keegan also players as a CAM and a striker but that's the same for Sterling.

I would have Barnes, Becks, Hoddle and Keegan above Sterling and though.