Is the European super league back? | United Statement: We remain committed to UEFA

Skills

Snitch
If we re-join the Super League, how much credit can we pin on ETH for helping us qualify?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
The only major club refusing to join would be bayern, psg has very little European pedigree so it shouldn't matter.

quadrant

I have to say, as dreadful as the ESL was on announcement, its not like UEFA or FIFA are moral guardians of the game of football. They're happy to demean the game and themselves in the pursuit of money, same as anyone else. So if this is a blow to their authority, well, I could hardly care less.

romufc

On one hand its bad cause I dont want to see that Superleague stuff ever.

But on the other hand Uefa is corrupt as they get and their constant meddling with their own competitions and more and more games has led to this, among other things.

Football as we know it is long gone anyway and its getting worse day by day so practically nothing revolutionary happened really.
This is how I feel, when the super league was first announced I was like no, this cannot happen, ruining football. Since then, I have seen the way UEFA and FIFA have operated and its no different.

Fans were not happy because it changed the football pyramid, UEFA jumped on that when they are only against it because of their profits.

sepulturite

But it isn’t? The Premier League will continue without any changes whatsoever to it? I don’t get your seething anger?
Your very naive if you don't think this will affect the domestic leagues of each country in the long run.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
It’s the biggest market that eats up the rest as it is? I can’t fathom how further out in front they could go when these other teams join a SL that devalues their own league.
The SL aren’t walking into a market on their own here. All these teams from countries who have fans that don’t overpay for their football
Anyway look at this quality
I dont know about the other clubs but PSV, financial troubles?

PSV did very well off the pitch in 2022/23, as they managed to increase their pre-tax profit from €1.4m to €17.5m, with revenue rising €7.4m (8%) from €93.2m to a new club record of €100.6m, which was the first time they broke through the €100m barrier.
Struggling big time...

Grande

Their views could be different this time around.

A lot of people didn't like that it was a closed shop, apparently it won't be. A lot of fans seemed to believe it would replace domestic football, it won't.

Not saying I'm necessarily in favour of it but I would struggle to really care if the Champions League was rebranded as the Super League and the clubs took over from UEFA in running it.
I struggle to see how this can be so apparent to you? It’s not more difficult for the richest clubs to create a monopoly than for the biggest National and International associations?

The main issue is that as EU is run as a very deregulated capitalistic system, there is nothing to really hold back the ‘winner-takes-all’-systems that these competition laws are supposed to(feebly) guard against other than the nation-based and tradition based systems upheld by the national associations. The very definition of such a capitalist system is that no values other than capital flow really holds any sway, and those flows don’t have care for what makes football football, ie what makes football culturally, socially and emotionally important for millions of people.

The nation-based system, while fraught with struggle and issues, is so far the only realistic counterbalance to this that is at least sometimes allied to the interests of football lovers.

Someone

Something
Your very naive if you don't think this will affect the domestic leagues of each country in the long run.
It's meant to be an alternative to current UEFA competitions, not domestic leagues.

My biggest issue with the initial proposal was that not everyone was able to get in, but if it's an alternative competition with a system in place that allows any club to qualify, then why not?

romufc

Well, its the same as UEFA changing their CL to a league system too, the super league is rivalling UEFA not Premier League.

Real Name

Nobody is mentioning Fifa with their crazy 48 team World cup. Soon they'll come up with 100 teams one which will run for 6 months.

YSB99

Supports
Machester United FC
I’m personally all for this if it’s done in a certain way, there’s massive clubs in Europe who just can’t compete anymore, if it gets done in a way that every country in Europe (obviously not places like Andorra, San Marino etc, even Ireland unfortunately for myself) with a club that can actually compete long term if given the same budget as the current elites gets a place or 2, the likes of Celtic, Galatasaray, Red Star etc then I can’t see how it wouldn’t be great for European football as a whole, the way it was proposed the first time wasn’t that though with 6 English teams being invited,

imagine a league where teams like that could really build themselves up and compete. most country’s in Europe could have a real Interest in it, it doesn’t sound much now talking about United against Sparta Prague or Legia Warsaw, but in 10 years if teams like that got real investment from a competition like this added with the fact that top players would then be interested in them to play in the competition

the reality is even massive clubs like Ajax, Benfica etc can’t even compete now with how things are, the champions league is mostly a formality until the 1:4s, compared to 20 years ago it’s boring because the elite clubs have gotten too big for it, even their domestic league have mostly become boring, when I was young a different team won La Liga, Serie A and the Bundesliga every year, Lyon and ourselves (kind of around that time) were the only teams who kind of had any kind of dominance, and even at that the league would never be wrapped up in April like you get a lot of now, the domestic cups too, playing just about any game away from home in the champions league for even teams like us, Bayern, Madrid etc was a very hard game, which it just isn’t anymore,

Footballs gotten stale in this regard and needs a shake up to bring the other big clubs back into this frame, there should also be a way for other teams to get into it, it can’t just be Real, Atletico and Barca as the only Spanish clubs in it forever, like I said it would have to be done right though, which it most likely won’t be

Last edited:

redshaw

Leaving out the corporate side, it does seem fans from Spain and Italy are in favour of this while German and English fans don't want it and value their own leagues more. While this replaces the CL it will grow and impact the domestic leagues.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
This is as cringe as the gaming conference stuff :lol:

They're trying to sell something to the public they haven't even got sorted with clubs?

I don't really understand what's going on, they're just dreaming here aren't they? Sounds proper batshit made up by some hack company wanting to make a quick buck who never manage to follow through.

romufc

Nobody is mentioning Fifa with their crazy 48 team World cup. Soon they'll come up with 100 teams one which will run for 6 months.
Exactly this, add to that the new CL format which is a league. UEFA and FIFA are using fans to protect their own interest.

stevoc

I struggle to see how this can be so apparent to you?
Well the people behind it are now saying that there will be avenues via national leagues to qualify for the Super League.

A22 chief executive Bernd Reichart said the new-look Super League would be an open competition, with qualification achieved via performance at national level and with all its teams competing in their domestic leagues. Those national leagues would remain “the foundation” of the game, Reichart said, and argued that the new Super League would generate new revenues to support the entire pyramid. There is a guarantee of a minimum of 14 matches that would provide “stability and predictability” of revenue.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
1. I assume it's not possible to both play CL football and this? There's not enough time.

2. What, in essence, is the actual difference between this and the CL? Surely it can't be an actual league right? There's not enough time for that either. It has to be a knockout tournament.

cyberman

Leaving out the corporate side, it does seem fans from Spain and Italy are in favour of this while German and English fans don't want it and value their own leagues more. While this replaces the CL it will grow and impact the domestic leagues.
It wouldn’t replace the CL though. That’s a massive problem for them.

slored1

I don't understand one thing? How would promotion and relegation work simoultaneously with the domestic success? Let's say we played in this year's Super League and did terribly, got relegated to the second division and finished midtable. Who qualifies instead of us and what division would they be in?

Cloud7

I have no interest in a competition where the underlying reason for its existence is so that Real and Barca can find avenues to make themselves the richest clubs around again. Anyone who thinks that this is being done for any reason other than that are idiots.

LordSpud

Maybe the Glazers knew this was coming....?
Said all along the Glazers knew it and FSG knew it. The only reason they stuck around. Sir Jim fancied a piece of that sweet sweet ESL pie

cyberman

I have to say, as dreadful as the ESL was on announcement, its not like UEFA or FIFA are moral guardians of the game of football. They're happy to demean the game and themselves in the pursuit of money, same as anyone else. So if this is a blow to their authority, well, I could hardly care less.
If teams have the power to leave but stay with UEFA then you’ll see a UEFA that are a lot more friendly to the concerns of said teams

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Can’t see how this will not happen, they will keep adjusting it until it takes over and makes sense.
One thing I am curious over is how it would work with the PL, in my opinion this will be a summer tournament.

TheLord

WIth the money situation in many clubs, a European Super League is inevitable, with or without the English sides. This is happening much quicker than what I had earlier thought.

redshaw

It wouldn’t replace the CL though. That’s a massive problem for them.
Yeah I know what you're saying, we'll have two weak European comps, the ESL will hope to replace the Uefa CL one day is the point. We could have 5-10 years of broken comps in this battle of power.

Last edited:

TheLord

This will start off as a 14 games per season per team and will ultimately be a 9 month per year tournament. Wow, I'm loving it.

cyberman

I don't understand one thing? How would promotion and relegation work simoultaneously with the domestic success? Let's say we played in this year's Super League and did terribly, got relegated to the second division and finished midtable. Who qualifies instead of us and what division would they be in?
A team can get relegated in their league and still qualify for SL. Thats why there’s a lot of smaller teams from the tweet I’ve posted, that’s where the relegation is coming from. It’s a mirage pretending to be competition.

Josep Dowling

It seems the Glazers knew what was coming and that's why they have held onto the club. Unfortunately shrewd businessmen on the investment side. It's a shame they don't care about the day-to-day running of the club and achieving on the pitch success.

On the one hand it's good to see someone fighting back against the FIFA and UEFA monopoly. They have been ruining football to line their pockets for too long now. If the ESL is a competition like the Champions League I'm all for it, I just don't want domestic leagues being ruined by the big clubs leaving. And especially Manchester United leaving the domestic league. I am barely interested with the club at present anyway given how badly we are run, the very boring football we have played all season. and the media circus which follows. If we were to move away from the league entirely that would be me done as a fan of the club.

Grande

Well the people behind it are now saying that there will be avenues via national leagues to qualify for the Super League.
That the main salesman for a concept that no one as yet have bought, says ‘it will be an open competition’, does not make it apparent at all that it will be. It’s like a Estate Developer in order to win a sale of public land saying ‘our intention is now to use the land for public purposes and we will not prioritise our company profit’.

As long as the control of 90% of the money flow is on the hands of a few oligarch clubs, they can ‘intend’ to keep the possibility open for themselves to lose that oligarch power by relegation, or they can just decide at any point to close that option. To me that’s very apparent.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
2. What, in essence, is the actual difference between this and the CL? Surely it can't be an actual league right? There's not enough time for that either. It has to be a knockout tournament.
Starts with a league stage then turns into a knockout tournament.

League Stage (64 teams)

Star League
16 clubs: 2 Groups of 8 teams playing 14 games (home and away against each)

Gold League
16 clubs: 2 Groups of 8 teams playing 14 games (home and away against each)

Blue League
32 clubs: 4 Groups of 8 teams playing 14 games (home and away against each)

League stage is played from September-April. Top 4 in each group in Star League have knockouts QF, SF and Final. Top 4 in each group in Gold League have knockouts QF, SF and Final. Top 2 in each group in Blue League have knockouts QF, SF and Final.

Promotion/relegation wise:
Bottom team in each group in Star League is relegated to Gold League and top team in each group in Gold League is promoted to Star League (so 2 teams promoted, 2 teams relegated).

Bottom team in each group in Gold League is relegated to Blue League and two teams are promoted from Blue League to Gold League (guessing the two best performing teams from the four groups total)

The graphic shows 20 teams emoved from blue league and replaced with 20 teams from domestic leagues but the reality will likely be different. Think it was just to show that it isn't a closed system

cyberman

Yeah I know what you're saying, we'll have two weak European comps, the ESL will hope to replace the the Uefa CL one day is the point. We could have 5-10 years of broken comps in this battle of power.
I can’t see how. The CL will still have all English and German sides competing (plus all French I believe?)
Are we excited about Juve v Barca? People aren’t even excited about Inter v Juve as we are now!
What you’ll see is more top teams from these leagues getting in so English top 6/7 and flesh out the competition that way. As long as lower leagues don’t lose out on a spot