g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Is there anyone left who wants to defend lvg now?

Lynty

Far far too simplistic.

How should he be held accountable for Depay's stupid header against stoke or Smalling's brainfart against Newcastle OR Fellani, Herrera, Rooney, Lingard's inability to put the ball in the back of the net from very simple chances across a whole host of games.

There is no doubt he is the one that will be held accountable if the team does not meet the agreed targets, that accountability could be his job. But to hold him accountable for every single under performing player is far too simplistic.
In isolation, you can't hold him responsible for these incidents. But when a trend begins to form, you must look at the manager.

Is it my fault if my staff fail to complete their work to a satifactory standard. No. But if it starts becoming a regular occurrence, you can damn well bet that the bosses will be looking at me asking why I haven't addressed it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.- Albert Einstein

That is the only reason why I want him sacked. We do not have the players to fulfill his vision/philosophy, our players thrive upon a more brazen brand of football, yet long after this was apparent - Van Gaal continues to employ the same tactics game after game. He refuses to change shape to compensate for injuries or lack of form, and instead squeezes players into unsuitable positions.

I think with a different set of players Van Gaal would be contending for the title, but never with this United team. He's not a bad manager, just a bad fit.
What you wrote has directly been disproven on the pitch, on the basis that we managed to get results playing to his philosophy earlier on this season, but have bare won a single game since he's been our manager that has turned into a shootout. We have attacked teams and lost, and played conservatively and won 1-0.

The make up of the squad is not to go all out an attack, as that would require top class attacking players. This season, only Martial has shown with any real consistency that he is good enough to play for us in attack.

SalfordRed1960

In isolation, you can't hold him responsible for these incidents. But when a trend begins to form, you must look at the manager.

Is it my fault if my staff fail to complete their work to a satifactory standard. No. But if it starts becoming a regular occurrence, you can damn well bet that the bosses will be looking at me asking why I haven't addressed it.
Totally agree. The bolded bit is the most important part. If the team does not meet that standard it will cost LVG his job, just as it is likely to cause yours in your example. However, there is the standard that Woody and the board have set (which probably wont be known until nearer the end of the season) and the array of standards and expectations of the fans. It is the latter which is making all the noise, just as it did with Moyes and Fergie during their years. Those who think Fergie didn't get a bashing during his tenure are living in cuckoo land.

ghagua

Far far too simplistic.

How should he be held accountable for Depay's stupid header against stoke or Smalling's brainfart against Newcastle OR Fellani, Herrera, Rooney, Lingard's inability to put the ball in the back of the net from very simple chances across a whole host of games.

There is no doubt he is the one that will be held accountable if the team does not meet the agreed targets, that accountability could be his job. But to hold him accountable for every single under performing player is far too simplistic.
I'm not talking about a single individual mistake, i'm talking about players who have been delivering shite all season and still in the team.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
LVG still has every chance of getting 4th spot for us. It was a late run of form last year that saw us get there?!!?

So you want to sack a manager to employ another manager who might be able to do what the current one can?
Our chances look very dim, maybe someone else could make them look better.

Sarni

Spot on. Spain were rubbish until Guardiola fixed Barcelona up perfectly. However, Van gaal is the one who started it off at barcelona - no matter how shit he was whilst doing so. He was the one who not only bought xavi & iniesta in to the first team, he played a strict (almost too strict) possesion based football that really did end up suiting them. It went on to become the centre of Barcelona's approach & went on to be Spain's approach.

Spain became Barcelona V2 with sprinkles of real madrid everywhere.

The same thing with Germany & Munich. Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Muller, Badstuber, Neurer & countless others from bayern sprinkled with bits of Dortmund's team.

It's hard to talk about foundations on here since SAF has already built this club to an impeccable level but I see Van Gaal's foundations as something most managers can take forward & improve. In doing so - with tandem on constant use of youth as we are currently seeing - we become less reliant on managers as we do on the right player.

No-one is particularly going to have a rough sleep if Robben goes. Hell even the best player ever in Messi is already playing with an adequate replacement in Neymar.

That's because the club knows exactly what player they have in stock & exactly what player they need.

I'm telling you - Van gaal isn't writing notes on his note pad & throwing it in the bin.
The same Neuer van Gaal refused to sign so much it almost cost him the job? He did not even play under van Gaal.

Spain and Germany both won titles soon after Pep appeared in the country. Why don't you give him all credit and go with van Gaal who left many years before?

Fully Fledged

What you wrote has directly been disproven on the pitch, on the basis that we managed to get results playing to his philosophy earlier on this season, but have bare won a single game since he's been our manager that has turned into a shootout. We have attacked teams and lost, and played conservatively and won 1-0.

The make up of the squad is not to go all out an attack, as that would require top class attacking players. This season, only Martial has shown with any real consistency that he is good enough to play for us in attack.
Not as often as his supporters would have us believe. We have only won 4 games 1-0 this season, the first two against Spurs and Villa the home tie against CSKA in November and the FA Cup tie against Sheffield United at the weekend.This whole idea that when we play conservatively we win 1-0 is a myth.

When we play conservatively we usually draw 0-0 or 1-1 which we have done 9 times.

Winrar

I wouldn't argue against that. But only Rooney and Mata have been permanent out of that list.
ah I see what you were responding to now.

though I was probably being kind to fellaini and jones anyways as I don't recall them having any decent games.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

What you wrote makes little sense because if playing conservatively was that great in terms of results, do you think LVG would have felt the need to change things ? Why change something that was working ? You have simplified things way too much with your post.

Red-Jeff

The same Neuer van Gaal refused to sign so much it almost cost him the job? He did not even play under van Gaal.

Spain and Germany both won titles soon after Pep appeared in the country. Why don't you give him all credit and go with van Gaal who left many years before?
Nobody is giving LVG all of the credit. What some of us are saying is that he has helped build some very successful sides and has had a large influence on football in general so lets at least give him until the end of the season and evaluate where we are then.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

But Van Gaal's rejection of Neur probably inspired him to become the keeper he became today.

Same thing with Rivaldo. Is it a coincidence that Van Gaal coached him, and just a few years later he'd go on to star at the world cup?

It's you that do not understand

Winrar

not as often as we draw 0-0 and finding myself asleep before full time.

SalfordRed1960

ah I see what you were responding to now.

though I was probably being kind to fellaini and jones anyways as I don't recall them having any good games.
I mentioned a number of times during the early part of the season that any PL team that plays with 9 or 10 players against another PL should be getting walloped, regardless of their position. In that early part of the season, we were not winning a lot, but were certainly not losing. We were however, because of Rooney's shit performances, really playing with 10 men most games. Add to that Depay did not turn up, so we were playing with 9 to 9.5 men. We did a lot better than we should have done.

I can understand people being pissed at LVG for that, as I was, but he has largely been consistent in getting rid of poor performing players. Depay is only really a sub nowadays, Darmian playing because of Valencia injury, Fellani because of Bastian and Carrick injuries, Young and CBJ because of Rojo and Shaw injuries. He knows his strongest 11 and only deviates through injuries or poor performances. I would expect him to drop Lingard for Liverpool based on the Newcastle game performance. So I am not sure I agree with 'he has played players who have been shite all season'.

Red-Jeff

But Van Gaal's rejection of Neur probably inspired him to become the keeper he became today.

Same thing with Rivaldo. Is it a coincidence that Van Gaal coached him, and just a few years later he'd go on to star at the world cup?

Yes managers make mistakes, what's your point? You are overstating what others are saying to make them seem deranged or slow. Nobody is saying LVG pisses the cure for cancer or has been perfect throughout his managerial career. He has been very successful for most of it and helped to build some very good teams. Would you say that last statement is incorrect?

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Not as often as his supporters would have us believe. We have only won 4 games 1-0 this season, the first two against Spurs and Villa the home tie against CSKA in November and the FA Cup tie against Sheffield United at the weekend.This whole idea that when we play conservatively we win 1-0 is a myth.

When we play conservatively we usually draw 0-0 or 1-1 which we have done 9 times.
Its a rather laughable excuse to be honest.

It was playing conservatively against PSV in the UCL where a win would have guaranteed passage that led to the gung ho approach at Wolfsburg. We had no choice. Its also the terrible run of results in the league (our worst non winning streak in 25 years ) that meant we had to go for it at Newcastle .

It wasnt the media pressure that led to us playing like that. This is a poor excuse.

Sarni

I credit van Gaal with Messi too. He was at Barcelona a couple years before his debut.

Rob Bowman

Heynckes might disagree with the Bayern timeline ;) .

ghagua

So it looks like apart from them, he has pretty much kept the poor performing players out the side, bar injuries.
There's no options to bring in players to change things up when other players have crap games, that's because he has left the squad paper thin.

Moonwalker

He's something of a conformist, never had a very good transfer record, and the brand of football that he promotes, even at its best, isn't the most exciting. Worst of all, it's hard to see the method in his madness when it comes to his fabled youth policy, try as I have. I've become quite disillusioned this season, having started as an optimist and a supporter of his appointment.

It's incredible that despite all this, and the fact that I've been convinced that he isn't the right guy for the job long term, I keep reverting to type and feel the urge to defend him. This is due to the fact that the criticism levelled against him goes way above and beyond the call of duty, both in the media and around here. The amount of conceit, puerility, dysphemism and churlishness used to describe anything he does is staggering, and it's all done with complete disregard for either logic or consistency.

bleedred

I credit van Gaal with Messi too. He was at Barcelona a couple years before his debut.
Well, According to Schrodinger, the fact that I watched Germany, Spain and Brazil during the world cup is the reason they won it, so I guess me and everyone who watched it should also get some credit.

saivet

This talk of foundations. Surely they've been laid by now. May as well get rid at a good time.

SalfordRed1960

There's no options to bring in players to change things up when other players have crap games, that's because he has left the squad paper thin.
Agreed. The key there is changing the game. I am not a fan of hoof ball, so Fellani up front is a non-starter for me.

If the likes of Depay, Young, Lingard, Adnan (when he was given a chance) had shown consistency, Mata probably would not be on the wing. We would then have a bit of creativity with Rooney/Herrera/Mata playing behind Martial. But each of them have been indifferent.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks

you really think we are losing games to the likes of Norwich because we are playing 'shoot outs'? From what I remember we played safe possession football where we made nothing and got hit on the counter.

Most of the conservative football has led to dropped points not 1-0 wins like you are claiming. One of the games where we had to attack a bit and lost (Wolfsburg) happened due to how many points we had dropped due to the safe football and being left with no option but to attack in our hardest group game.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
you really think we are losing games to the likes of Norwich because we are playing 'shoot outs'? From what I remember we played safe possession football where we made nothing and got hit on the counter.

Most of the conservative football has led to dropped points not 1-0 wins like you are claiming. One of the games where we had to attack a bit and lost (Wolfsburg) happened due to how many points we had dropped due to the safe football and being left with no option but to attack in our hardest group game.
I was over simplifying. The fact is, we didn't look like losing 4 in a row or whatever it was earlier in the season.

And you don't get hit on the counter sitting back playing conservatively, it's basically impossible.

I think our forwards are not good enough to consistently win us games. Our defence is our only hope of consistently winning games with out current squad. It's an obvious flaw, but one Van Gaal seemingly recognises based on what he says.

He's not as clueless as Custis, Scholes and several other idiots would have you believe is all. He's not been great either, but I don't think he's completed his work yet. I expect him to get better over the next year should he not be sacked. I'd also like to see the board stand up to the witch hunt against him as I worry about the precedence of what I see as the press trying to get our manager sacked.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I was over simplifying. The fact is, we didn't look like losing 4 in a row or whatever it was earlier in the season.

And you don't get hit on the counter sitting back playing conservatively, it's basically impossible.

I think our forwards are not good enough to consistently win us games. Our defence is our only hope of consistently winning games with out current squad. It's an obvious flaw, but one Van Gaal seemingly recognises based on what he says.

He's not as clueless as Custis, Scholes and several other idiots would have you believe is all. He's not been great either, but I don't think he's completed his work yet. I expect him to get better over the next year should he not be sacked. I'd also like to see the board stand up to the witch hunt against him as I worry about the precedence of what I see as the press trying to get our manager sacked.
It's not impossible to get hit on the counter when we are playing our slow safe passing game which has zero cutting edge. It's been a common tactic for teams to just Park the bus against us and wait until we give the ball away and break away quickly.

Also what the press says doesn't really matter at the end of the day. It's not them causing him to have 1 win in the last 8 and get knocked out by PSV in the champions league. If the board decide to ignore results and back him because the media have criticised his results then they are extremely foolish

sunama

Baghdad Bob
This whole idea that when we play conservatively we win 1-0 is a myth.
It sounds as if you are bragging about drawing 0-0 or 1-1.

The point most of us are making is that in our games (aside from the Newcastle game), there are very few goals or chances created by either team.
Most of the time we have the ball and stroke it around the penalty box, unable to shoot on target, while making the opposition look like masters at defending.
I used to think that the likes of Bournemouth, Norwich, Newcastle (@OT), were masters at defending. So organised, they could give the best teams in the World master classes on how to defend. But when I saw them play other teams, those teams put plenty of goals past them. This is when I realised that it is actually our attack which is dire and not our opponents' defences which are top class.

IMO our attackers need replacing quickly and ruthlessly. They need to be told that if they don't score goals, they will be shipped out.
Why are non scoring attackers being repeatedly allowed to play for the team? Last year we had Falcao (who was/is so bad, its an embarrassment). This year we have Memphis, Rooney, Mata. Rooney, with his 4 EPL goals (+ a penalty) should be ashamed of such a poor goal tally. Instead, he gets MOTM awards for playing crap, week in, week out, while we lose/draw because we can't score a goal.
I accept that Rooney did well in our last game, but that was an exception.
And I rage when people include those 3 goals he scored against Brugge.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He's not as clueless as Custis, Scholes and several other idiots would have you believe is all. He's not been great either, but I don't think he's completed his work yet. I expect him to get better over the next year should he not be sacked.
In 2016, managers are expected to make immediate impact. That's the nature of the job.
A manager should not need 2 years + £250M (or however much we have spent) to beat clubs like Bournemouth or Norwich.
Imagine if LVG had to manage our club on the budgets of Norwich or Bournemouth, we'd be rooted to the bottom of the table.

The truth is that LVG is a has been and can no longer compete with younger managers with new ideas.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
@sammsky1 @Red-Jeff we need to open up a thread so the guys that believe this is a foundation (note it is called a foundation for a reason) can concentrate on it.

I got nothing against the other guys who are pretty anti-Lvg but forum wise this constant good vs evil thing is repetitive & annoying.

The people who should think its bad should talk amongst itself and solidify their feelings whilst the people who see some positives should have a place to talk about improvements that only a very few of us can see.

Somebody please do it - it's driving me nuts.

clarkydaz

Around this time last year he was being asked about style of play, he angrily said next season, next season you will see a LVG side

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
And now we see the real lvg side which means statistically, aesthetically, squad, all worse
All the pro-LVG guys in here are talking about what he did in the past, as in arguing with others about what he did in the past, who cares, instead of considering the bollocks he's turned us into. One bloke is actually objecting to the view that we're boring. Get this mate, we're gobsmackingly, appallingly, fecking boring. Even the world's greatest yorkshireman, geoffrey boycott (I know, but a hugely loyal united fan) said on radio today he falls asleep at half-time.

Last edited:

Winrar

All the pro-LVG guys in here are talking about what he did in the past, as in arguing with others about what he did in the past, who cares, instead of considering the bollocks he's turned us into. One bloke is actually objecting to the view that we're boring. Get this mate, we're gobsmackingly appallingly fecking boring. Even the world's greatest yorkshireman, geoffrey boycott (I know, but a hugely loyal united fan) said on radio today he falls asleep at half-time.
those that are still pro-LVG now will probably be pro-LVG forever.

if van gaal leaves/gets sacked and we're still shit, it wasn't LVG's fault and our players are terrible. if and we play much better, it's because LVG "laid the foundations."

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
F*cking hell, Geoff Boycott should know all about being boring.