Is there anyone left who wants to defend lvg now?

The Hilton

It's sad that people are enjoying this, and I really do like LvG, but I'll admit I'm starting to wonder if a change of manager is the only thing that'll get us out of this funk.

The players are clearly trying, fighting hard, they're just all rubbish at the moment. Confidence is so low, and we're not getting that bit of luck to drag us out of it either.

The worry is who we get in instead. Mourinho managed to make a better team even worse than us this season, and Giggs just isn't remotely qualified.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I still don't think that LVG is the problem and will be disappointed if he's sacked after the players put out another poor performance.
Part of his job is to motivate the players, and sort of replacing every member of the playing staff in the next year there isn't another solution.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
My problem is that these players have underperformed vis a vis potential. Todays tactics did not debate us, it was players not performing. Of course that is ultimately the managers job to crate the right system and motivate players to play with confidence. But it was again self committed errors and very poor finishing that cost us. Im not sure how a new manager magically changes that problem in the space of 2 games.
Of course it would be nice if the players didn't gift a goal in 1st half for a change, this has been happening how much matches in a row now? It's only normal for the players to be low on confidence after a run like that, but they also don't seem to get any confidence from the game plan and style of play they have been practicing for quite a while now. Van Gaal has experienced poor runs before, but those players always seemed to get some confidence from him.

It were the Caf's favorites who were poor last few weeks, Smalling, Blind, Martial, Mata, Herrera joined in, De Gea has not been great either, to put it nice. That's a few to many of the players who should at least have been solid.

R'hllor

What a hunt of the thread...i dont have same expectations from LvG like most here,so i am not in "Sack him" group.Maybe he failed in things i expect him to do as priority above some other tasks but there is no way for me to know that sadly,otherwise i would make "LvG out" way way before.

RedChip

For what it's worth I believe we should be looking to replace him with a top manager asap. What I still disagree with are those that calll him clueless and feel he is content with the football we are playing. For whatever reason he's unable to translate what he wants to the players. Whether that's down to poor man management, players who are unsuited or good enough to do what he is asking, whether the players have lost faith in him or a combination of them all, I don't know - but to suggest he wants to watch uninspiring football or that he has no idea what's going on is taking it too far. I just don't believe he's a good match for our club, it happens.
Aye. Agree with that. I like him as a person but I can't defend him. I don't think he can retrieve this situation. So he must go. He isn't clueless though; at the end of the transfer window, I thought he had done a great job towards rebuilding our squad: It was risky though getting rid of so many forwards and not replacing them. The gamble hasn't paid off for him.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
LVG has surely made mistakes. But still feel he had a lot going against him. His mistake was being too respectful of the clubs old boys - they've brought him down; and also not adapting quickly enough to the league and the players at his disposal - just putting his trust in mostly the wrong players.

Amidst all the negativity though, I still support him, but the players are not playing for him so he has to go for the good of the club and supporters. Feck the players - couldn't care less about most of them after the lack of fight they've shown. Disappointed more than anything that it's come to this. I find him a decent man (regardless of what anyone says on here), and I wish him the best.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
What a hunt of the thread...i dont have same expectations from LvG like most here,so i am not in "Sack him" group.Maybe he failed in things i expect him to do as priority above some other tasks but there is no way for me to know that sadly,otherwise i would make "LvG out" way way before.
So what exactly are your expectations?

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
LVG has surely made mistakes. But still feel he had a lot going against him. His mistake was being too respectful of the clubs old boys - they've brought him down; and also not adapting quickly enough to the league and the players at his disposal - just putting his trust in mostly the wrong players.

Amidst all the negativity though, I still support him, but the players are not playing for him so he has to go for the good of the club and supporters. Feck the players - couldn't care less about most of them after the lack of fight they've shown. Disappointed more than anything that it's come to this. I find him a decent man (regardless of what anyone says on here), and I wish him the best.
What about at the beginning of the season where our performances were the same, but results were much better? Didn't see many, if any, questioning the players motives, then? Now that the same performances have resulted in piss poor results, the players are no longer behind him... OK.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause

But surely you must also appreciate that it's a bit of a two way street? I agree, some of our players are spineless. But what's LVG doing to make them play better or fill them with confidence? Diddly squat.

Just like we do in our day jobs, you perform better when you trust and respect your manager, and when he makes you feel appreciated and is good at his job. I've been under a shit manager and know what it's like. So it's just a desirable but unrealistic fantasy to think players are self motivating and not affected by him.

Esquire

I think most agree with you that he is a decent man and a good manager (admittedly he says in the past). But he has failed miserably in this job and needs to go. The club's success is bigger than any one person. The fact that his players gave up on him supports the notion that he is not the man to lead them. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you some of the players today utterly gave up and were a disgrace. The knives need to be out on patently failing players like Depay, Blind, Jones, Mata, etc... Am actually seething more with the players today than LVG. Some need to be booted out asap.

Jazz

What about at the beginning of the season where our performances were the same, but results were much better? Didn't see many, if any, questioning the players motives, then? Now that the same performances have resulted in piss poor results, the players are no longer behind him... OK.
Nothing in the beginning of the season compared to these last couple of performances. But when things are not going well, that's when you step up and the players have failed. The manager cannot control everything. I am not cutting the players any slack no matter what anyone says. They've shown their true colours - when the going gets tough it's not their fault.

WyoManU

It's not about defending him now anyway, it's more about how strongly some people want to stick to the Man Utd ethos of not being a sacking club even though we have one of the worst managers in the BPL.

Nucks

RT History Department
Whether or not LvG is chiefly responsible for this or not is irrelevant. I personally don't think that he is. I think the players are chiefly responsible, because they simply are not very good.

However, at the end of the day, you can't sack the squad. Managers/Coaches always have been and always will be the scapegoats in this scenario. Different tactics might suit us better, but the blame for lack of execution cannot fall at the feet of LvG.

When your tactics tend to give you the bulk of the ball inside the oppositions half, and you, the players, cannot get a single shot on target. That's not the tactics, that's you, the players, being shite.

Di Maria's angel

Nothing in the beginning of the season compared to these last couple of performances. But when things are not going well, that's when you step up and the players have failed. The manager cannot control everything. I am not cutting the players any slack no matter what anyone says. They've shown their true colours - when the going gets tough it's not their fault.
I don't agree. We're just as pathetic as we were earlier. We're just as pathetic as we have been since beating City, in April. Same level of consistent shite has seen us win 9 of our last 24 PL games, under van Gaal. That, for me, indicates this is a problem he created himself.

Jazz

I think most agree with you that he is a decent man and a good manager (admittedly he says in the past). But he has failed miserably in this job and needs to go. The club's success is bigger than any one person. The fact that his players gave up on him supports the notion that he is not the man to lead them. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you some of the players today utterly gave up and were a disgrace. The knives need to be out on patently failing players like Depay, Blind, Jones, Mata, etc... Am actually seething more with the players today than LVG. Some need to be booted out asap.
I have said he needs to go. Not arguing with that because him staying at this point is not good for the club - wasn't arguing about that at all.
But today and the last couple of matches have made me so fecking mad at these players - they also have a responsibility. For the last couple of days we've read Carrick, Rooney, Mata complaining about what they eat, when they eat and training too hard and all that shit - are we supposed to feel sorry for them? What kind of precious bastards are they? It just shows you the mentality in that dressing room - no way we can win or get out of a bad spell with people like that leading the rest of the players. Fecks me off.

Jazz

I don't agree. We're just as pathetic as we were earlier. We're just as pathetic as we have been since beating City, in April. Same level of consistent shite has seen us win 9 of our last 24 PL games, under van Gaal. That, for me, indicates this is a problem he created himself.
I don't agree with you, I saw it differently and let's leave it at that. I never said LVG didn't make mistakes either, but no way am I going to absolve the players. No wonder they get away with player power.

Cina

Feel he was betrayed a bit today. Depay really screwed him over with his antics.
But then again, he did sign the player.

I don't know. One one hand I'd like to see what he would do if got those "speedy wingers " he's been banging on about in January. More pace up front to support Martial would be transformative.

Then again, Mourinho wouldn't let someone like Depay anywhere near the team...
He has gotten 250m to spend and he acknowledged needing speedy wingers at the very start of his tenure so he has nobody to blame but himself for not having them by now.

Di Maria's angel

I don't agree with you, I saw it differently and let's leave it at that. I never said LVG didn't make mistakes either, but no way am I going to absolve the players. No wonder they get away with player power.
All speculation. Mostly bullshit that was used to defend Moyes, too. No ones like to lose, our players are no different. Whether they are shit or the system brings the worst out of them is another question. But, lets agree to disagree.

Rednotdead

Whether or not LvG is chiefly responsible for this or not is irrelevant. I personally don't think that he is. I think the players are chiefly responsible, because they simply are not very good.

However, at the end of the day, you can't sack the squad. Managers/Coaches always have been and always will be the scapegoats in this scenario. Different tactics might suit us better, but the blame for lack of execution cannot fall at the feet of LvG.

When your tactics tend to give you the bulk of the ball inside the oppositions half, and you, the players, cannot get a single shot on target. That's not the tactics, that's you, the players, being shite.
I disagree entirely. You can quote possession statistics all day long but everything is so funereal that the opposition has the time to get itself organised. If the players aren't good enough, he's had 18 months to see that.

All of this shambles is at Van Gaal's door. All of it.

Moonred

Biggest failing has been to not have players that looks like who can do anything. How can we be so short of good players is beyond me after spending so much. He grossly misjudged the abilities of some of our players. It could also be because the players themselves have given up recently.

Jazz

But surely you must also appreciate that it's a bit of a two way street? I agree, some of our players are spineless. But what's LVG doing to make them play better or fill them with confidence? Diddly squat.

Just like we do in our day jobs, you perform better when you trust and respect your manager, and when he makes you feel appreciated and is good at his job. I've been under a shit manager and know what it's like. So it's just a desirable but unrealistic fantasy to think players are self motivating and not affected by him.
We're obviously different people - I've had shit managers yet my work has never suffered. Their attitude has nothing to do with the quality of my work. Why should the company's clients suffer because the person they are directly dealing with has a shit manager? The contract still needs to be honoured. Yes LVG should have done more - there's no disputing that - but I feel the players did not make a great effort to meet him halfway either.

Nucks

RT History Department
I disagree entirely. You can quote possession statistics all day long but everything is so funereal that the opposition has the time to get itself organised. If the players aren't good enough, he's had 18 months to see that.

All of this shambles is at Van Gaal's door. All of it.
What's it like, with your head in the sand? You think we'd be having this discussion if we had even a single quality attacking midfielder that could unlock defenses? Do you think we'd be having this conversation if we had an Ozil? Nope.

Look at our attack. Look at it. Tell me that it has no blame in the current situation? Memphis is absolutely terrible. He might come good, in a few years, right now he is garbage. Rooney is clearly past it physically and that was 70% of his game. Mata is invisible 75% of the time. Herrera isn't very good. Lingard isn't very good. Martial is the lone bright spot, but it's hard to influence the game when you're an island in a sea of shite.

The tactics are giving the players the opportunity to create opportunities. They aren't doing it. Worse, when they do bumblefeck their way into a clear cut chance, Muffintop plays pass with the keeper.

R'hllor

So what exactly are your expectations?
If board decided to go for him,for me it meant that they decided to reset things and go in some other direction in every sense. In his first PC he said due us chasing top 4 he can not focus on ranks below first team in first season.In general thats what i expect/ed from him,to lay foundation for next manager,to sync all ranks so they all push in same direction one day.

Look maybe i am idiot (high chance) but my ambition when it comes to United is domination in one period of time and i believe thats the way how to achieve it. Thats why i dont expect from LvG entertainment,nor winning things in this moment of time. Dont take me wrong,i dont enjoy to watch boring shit,nor i enjoy in loosing but those 2 things are not first 2 places on my priority list.

Its something like Henry explaining Pep`s "my job is to bring you to this point,your job is to finish after". I never was Pep`s fan but think he could build up on LvG work for example,i just dont want us to have soft resets every 3 years. So there for i dont shout LvG out,specially not if behind corner is that cnut lurking as his replacement.

togg

We're obviously different people - I've had shit managers yet my work has never suffered. Their attitude has nothing to do with the quality of my work. Why should the company's clients suffer because the person they are directly dealing with has a shit manager? The contract still needs to be honoured. Yes LVG should have done more - there's no disputing that - but I feel the players did not make a great effort to meet him halfway either.
Personally I think Carrick's interview said it all. His demeanour is reflective of everything going on on the pitch. They are trying, but it's not working, whether that is the style of football they are trying to play, or the fact that actually, at the end of the day the players we have aren't as good as people think they are, I don't know. Of course LVG has bought some of them and some have not lived up to expectation, but then again, Fergie bought many players who didn't work out, but his skill at making even an average player look a world beater is second to none. LVG looked as though he was tired of it all in that interview. He's at the end of his career and I really don't think he has the energy to carry on.

Hitchcocker

I've been thinking that van Gaal's dog-headedness is his own doing but as his assistant, what kind of input has Giggs been providing?

Jazz

Personally I think Carrick's interview said it all. His demeanour is reflective of everything going on on the pitch. They are trying, but it's not working, whether that is the style of football they are trying to play, or the fact that actually, at the end of the day the players we have aren't as good as people think they are, I don't know. Of course LVG has bought some of them and some have not lived up to expectation, but then again, Fergie bought many players who didn't work out, but his skill at making even an average player look a world beater is second to none. LVG looked as though he was tired of it all in that interview. He's at the end of his career and I really don't think he has the energy to carry on.
If I were him, I would resign. It's really over now, just leave the club and players to it. Even I'm tired of this circus now. Too much politics at the club as well. Just fecking tired of it all.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Even after Norwich there were a few apologists left

Have you changed your minds or do you stick by your convictions?
"Erm, has anybody on the forum not a feeling to apologise to me? Nobody has that feeling? That's what I’m wondering?"

I've been called agenda driven, biased, etc...