Is this one of the worst quality World Cups ever? | Probably not

Chief123

Graeme Souness said it’s been fantastic so far and has got better and better! That’s the first bit of sense he’s spoken since birth.

The Firestarter

The thread is about the game quality not the upsets, which are usually bigger when the top teams are shit

Pintu

Granted I can't remember much from before the 90's, but I honestly can't remember a more exciting group stage. Fantastic entertainment. I hope it continues in the knockout stages.
The 2002 had many upsets, with 3 of the top 10 (Argentina, France and Portugal) getting knocked out in the group stage… Italy (like Spain tonight) got bailed out by a favourable result in Ecuador v Croatia.

But this win definitely brought more excitement.

AndyMUFC

The groups have stayed competitive due to the tight games and resulted in finales like tonight.

I’d rather that than then the big teams smash everyone 4 and 5-0 every game and we’ve still seen some of that as well.

MUnchies

The thread is about the game quality not the upsets, which are usually bigger when the top teams are shit
What more quality do you want? There have been a lot of quality games, not every game will live up to expectations.
Because your favorite teams are not winning or not having easy games doesn't mean lack of quality.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
By the way, most of the big teams have made it through. A couple didn't but that's almost always the case. So although there have been unexpected individual results, the general shape of the tournament is as expected.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
It’s about the entertainment and upsets are an essential ingredient.
Don't bother, some people are too refined in their understanding of tactical 3D chess that they can only watch carefully curated games and can't wait for the superteam infested CL late stages.

All this chaotic topsy turvy stuff is opium for the masses.

Steffa Barnesa

Good amount of upsets, but importantly by teams who are exciting and you want to see more of like Japan and Morocco, while also leaving plenty of the big teams still in for later rounds. You ultimately want to see big matches later on - England v Sweden four years ago was a lame QF, South Korea and Turkey never looked like winnng their semi-finals in '02. Good cup so far, hopefully it becomes a great one.

Last edited:

KeanoMagicHat

By the way, most of the big teams have made it through. A couple didn't but that's almost always the case. So although there have been unexpected individual results, the general shape of the tournament is as expected.
This is ideal for a World Cup, you need someone big to go out early to make it interesting. But you can't have 3-4 like 2002. One works and a few shocks without the big teams going out is perfect.

mu4c_20le

If we just want upsets then keep having World Cups in the middle of the season at extreme temperatures :lol:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Brilliant world cup best in a long time
I don’t remember a World Cup where everyday the group stage was going to the final game (and final minute!) with so many permutations. It’s been a fantastic World Cup.

(and commiserations @hasanejaz88)!

JagUTD

I'll be honest, I've not looked forward to this world cup at all and found the early parts fairly dull bar a couple of shocks.

But this last round of group games. It's been fantastic. I could still talk all day about why Qatar should never have had it, why it's bad for the game and why in theory, it should be terrible... But the football, the drama. I'm hooked.

I don't think Qatar or FIFA have anything to do with this btw. A combination of big teams clearly not fully committed for whatever reason and unfancied nations going for it has made for a fantastic footballing spectacle.

I also wouldn't attack the OP either, as at the time of posting it was a bit slow for the most part. But yeh, the past round of games, kicking off at the same time. Genuinely brilliant!

Reactions: Rood

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
This is ideal for a World Cup, you need someone big to go out early to make it interesting. But you can't have 3-4 like 2002. One works and a few shocks without the big teams going out is perfect.
Agree 100%

PieCrust

I've been enjoying it. Watched or at least had on, most of the games.

croadyman

One of most unpredictable,how I would love France & Brazil to come a cropper just to open it up for someone even if that's not us

Heinzesight

Properly enjoying it. I think the combination of working from home and not being arsed going out this time of year have meant I’ve watched nearly every game and been more immersed in it than before.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I don’t remember a World Cup where everyday the group stage was going to the final game (and final minute!) with so many permutations. It’s been a fantastic World Cup.

(and commiserations @hasanejaz88)!
Danke!

As great as this world cup has been, this is it for me. Feck the rest of this tournament :lol:

Shark

@NotShark
Properly enjoying it. I think the combination of working from home and not being arsed going out this time of year have meant I’ve watched nearly every game and been more immersed in it than before.
Yep. Working from home also and it's great passing the time from 3pm onwards on the couch with the laptop and feet up :)

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
There really hasn’t been a stand out side. The European sides are just not great. It’s definitely going to a Non-European nation this year. I do love that the smaller nations have done very well, even Canada can leave with their heads held high and they couldn’t get a point. Actually except Wales, yeah total limp performances

croadyman

There really hasn’t been a stand out side. The European sides are just not great. It’s definitely going to a Non-European nation this year. I do love that the smaller nations have done very well, even Canada can leave with their heads held high and they couldn’t get a point. Actually except Wales, yeah total limp performances
Brazil or Argentina?

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Can anyone explain why head to head is not deciding the factor between two teams level on points?

meamth

Still can't move on from South Korea vs Ghana game.

I genuinely felt the rush, hopefully more of the same tonight against Portugal.

Kopral Jono

So with Costa Rica giving Germany (and indirectly Spain) a solid scare last night, does this make Wales the worst team this World Cup? Or would a play-off against Qatar still needed for them to avoid being the wooden spoon champion?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
So with Costa Rica giving Germany (and indirectly Spain) a solid scare last night, does this make Wales the worst team this World Cup? Or would a play-off against Qatar still needed for them to avoid being the wooden spoon champion?
Statistically it's Qatar or Canada as the only teams with 0 points, at least they managed a goal I suppose

Denmark have been utter shite too