Isn't it time for a dazzling new stadium or major refit?

izec

Just needs a small rebuilding. Increase the capacity and modernise it a bit inside and outside, job done. It definitely needs to be freshened up a bit

Bang on man, as I said myself, it's the most important aspect that needs upgrading asap.

I mean, St James looks a miles bigger stadium from the highest seats AND from pitch level just because they have a much better roof design. I mean, just look at Old Trafford from a similar angle and how much smaller it looks compared to the pic you posted. You wouldn't believe OT is has a bigger capacity by a massive 22000!

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
1. Yes, Old Trafford is class.

2. The corporate facilities are not fantastic at all. City for example absolutely piss on us, as do Arsenal and now Spurs.

3. The pies are great.

4. It needs a refresh, a new roof is more important than anything and not because of some shitty leak that can happen to any roof anywhere and was repaired instantly, but because it's a cantilever sloped roof and it ruins the views from Tier 2 Row 20 and up. Roof design has come leaps and bounds since the 90's and Old Trafford desperately needs to look at this.

5. The skin/facade. East Stand is fine, but South, North and the Stretty need a new skin, no doubt about it.

6. Escalators, feck me, it's 2019 and we are still asking people in their 70's + to climb about a million steps to the top of tier 2 and worse for Tier 3.

7. Shopping, restaurants etc. The club missed a trick with Hotel Football and are making the same mistake by not enticing people to hang around after the match with varied shopping and restaurant options.

So to sum up, yes it's still a top stadium, and the location on the canal is brilliant. It's doesn't need tearing down, just a big revamp which in the long run will be worth it for the club.
This a thousand times.

The corporate facilities are crap by modern standards and, much more importantly, so are the standard terrace seats. The seats seem like they were designed for a 12 year old to sit in, as any normal sized adult will struggle for room and at 6’4 my legs basically don’t fit due to the total lack of space to the seat in front.

It’s a historic and memory filled stadium with a unique and beloved look from the outside but it’s enormously dated and needs serious money spending on it.

SirAF

Ageist

The corporate facilities are crap by modern standards and, much more importantly, so are the standard terrace seats. The seats seem like they were designed for a 12 year old to sit in, as any normal sized adult will struggle for room and at 6’4 my legs basically don’t fit due to the total lack of space to the seat in front.

It’s a historic and memory filled stadium with a unique and beloved look from the outside but it’s enormously dated and needs serious money spending on it.
The bogs were also grim the last time I went.

Spoony

The People's President
Old Trafford is dated but to replace will cost the club more a billion quid. It's just not going to happen.

Fluctuation0161

Barcelona and Real's renovations are costing near £700m, far more they initially excepted. Which ever way you look at it...it won't come cheap.
If other, smaller clubs can make it commercially viable to make the investment why shouldn't we?

OT has not been improved for what, 15 years? That's a long time to prepare and plan for these things.

stubie

I’ve said this for years, OT is well outdated and had weeds coming out of the concrete on a stadium visit I done in 2016.

unfortunately the only way this will happen is with Saudi owners

RedPed

Whatabouter.
If anyone has sat in that awful third tier, it's shite and the legroom is poor. I don't know why people are so averse to a new stadium, they have to move with the times. New players will be taken around OT and the new Spurs ground, be given the usual speeches about the vision of the club and manager etc., etc. I'm willing to bet that in some cases the setup at Spurs would be enough to swing a move in their favour. All United have to bargain with at the moment is inflated wages.

I'd rather they put that money into the club rather than soulless mercenaries. Even Everton, Chelsea, Roma, AC/Inter Milan and even Feyenoord ffs have all put forward plans for new grounds. Recently, Atletico and Spurs have managed to do it. We don't even have a decent screen/display. We're supposed to be the biggest club in football, certainly vying with Real Madrid for that accolade. Bout time we looked like it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
A major refit is definitely needed.

The ideal is for OT to look like an old stadium (maintaining its history and character) without feeling like an old stadium (by matching modern stadiums as much as possible in terms of actual quality of facilities and conveniences available).

As is OT seems to be dated and sub-par in several areas when compared to the best around. For one example (and I realise this isn't something the fans care about in the slightest) I've heard journalists/broadcasters complain about basic things like the internet available to them at OT. This is a small thing but being sub-par in several small things speaks to a lack of care and attention.

Unfortunately even a refurb (and especially a refurb that work around and maintains the current design) would cost a huge amount of money. At a time when the team is struggling and the owners don't exactly adore spending money, it's hard to see it get done.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I agree with others, Old Trafford is iconic and frankly I’m concerned that there are some Utd fans willing to trade that in for some new shiny bells and whistles, but then again that’s the world we live in these days!

With that said I also agree that it is in need of significant revamp, expansion should be a priority and what would be excellent from a design perspective is some modern features (e.g facades) which contrast with our older architecture. That would reflect well with the character that Manchester has in the city centre as well, combining industrial roots with abit of modern style.

TheReligion

Abusive
The capacity will be increased with the addition of rail seats and I fully expect safe standing to go ahead soon. This will require some money but our capacity will bump up to 85,000+ easily. That said certain bits need a revamp and I certainly would love to see work finally done near the railway line to make the stadium even all sides.

Definitely don't move though!

fps

Considering the levels of investment required in playing staff and restructuring, focussing on the stadium would be insane right now.

Spoony

The People's President
United have always moved with the times and in many cases have been trend setters. When United traded Bank St for Old Trafford we moved to the most modern stadium in the world. In an ideal world we'd have the best stadium in the world at our current location.

TrustInOle

Oh absolutely a big fat no from me. Expand it and revamp it yes but to tear a stadium like Old Trafford down should be sentenced with lifetime imprisonment.
Agreed, we have needed a refurbish for years and it's been left to go stale and unkempt! Saddens me every time I'm there! Also, that's like Barcelona decking the Nou Camp for a shiny new stadium. You dont get rid off historically one of the greatest stadiums to ever host the game!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
1. Yes, Old Trafford is class.

2. The corporate facilities are not fantastic at all. City for example absolutely piss on us, as do Arsenal and now Spurs.

3. The pies are great.

4. It needs a refresh, a new roof is more important than anything and not because of some shitty leak that can happen to any roof anywhere and was repaired instantly, but because it's a cantilever sloped roof and it ruins the views from Tier 2 Row 20 and up. Roof design has come leaps and bounds since the 90's and Old Trafford desperately needs to look at this.

5. The skin/facade. East Stand is fine, but South, North and the Stretty need a new skin, no doubt about it.

6. Escalators, feck me, it's 2019 and we are still asking people in their 70's + to climb about a million steps to the top of tier 2 and worse for Tier 3.

7. Shopping, restaurants etc. The club missed a trick with Hotel Football and are making the same mistake by not enticing people to hang around after the match with varied shopping and restaurant options.

So to sum up, yes it's still a top stadium, and the location on the canal is brilliant. It's doesn't need tearing down, just a big revamp which in the long run will be worth it for the club.
Some great ideas there mate.
Im mid 30s and run 60miles a week but after a heavy feed those steps can feel plenty for me!

stevoc

Old Trafford should be redeveloped, a new stadium can't replicate what Old Trafford represents to United.

Plus building a new stadium would cost more than redeveloping the current one anyway.

Nikelesh Reddy

Yeah, they don’t ABSOLUTELY have to build a brand new stadium but a serious upgrade and refresh is really needed.
We need to maybe upgrade it,but I certainly wouldn’t want to see us bring it down...

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
One of the two needs to happen and I can see it being an entirely new stadium.

I’d be down for that (I’m not the one paying) but ideally I’d like it to retain the character of Old Trafford, just not the outdated, rundown aspects or the asymmetrical roof and Sir Bobby Charlton stand.

Last edited:

red thru&thru

Exactly. You cant just stand still and expect to remain as the best. It is a very complacent mentality.

We've seen the effect this mentality has had on our league position! How long will it take for all fans to realise the effect it will have on our stadium over the long term?
Yep. Too many fans are happy with mediocrity and say things go in cycle. Imagine Fergie saying that?

Camilo

I've never been to Old Trafford, but from a TV perspective it does look rather uninspired.. Coupled with the constant complaints about atmosphere (and let's be honest, it's the people not the bloody acoustics) you kind of feel a bit of a revamp would do the club good. Like shopping therepy - buy itself something nice.. I don't think there's any need to knock it down and start again - it's still a relatively new stadium - but knocking down the shortarse 70s stand and finishing it off uniformly should be done.

It definitely needs a refurbishment but the last thing we want to do is lose the history and the atmosphere of the place. We don't want to go down the route of Arsenal and West Ham and end up with a dull and soulless home. If we want more seats we can finally build over the railway.

dove

We definitely must do something with it. I would of course prefer to have a Nou Camp/Bernabeu type of refurbishment, mainly changing this ugly roof, installing 21st century scoreboards etc and ideally expanding the SBC stand.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It looks a mess. 10 years ago it looked decent, and we were continually rebuilding and improving it. That all stopped and it's nowhere near the level of the likes of Wembley, the Emirates or the new Spurs ground. We used to do everything we could to be the biggest and best and now we're seemingly just content to exist.
Feels like that to me as well. Admittedly I don't go every week. But when I do I have to say that it really does look like it needs quite a facelift/update.
But definitely not a new stadium. Old Trafford is far too iconic for that.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Don't get the obsession with it. Bit of a refurb - deffo, big refurb - sure but not that fussed, new stadium - no thanks.

Not disagreeing, but wondering what you mean by ruins the view? I think I've sat everywhere in OT including top of the North Stand, but never had an issue with not being able to see.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Old Trafford is Gorgeous and has such mystique and memories there. It should never be torn down just maybe "upgraded" as they did with Anfield but NEVER torn down it embodies everything that is Manchester United.

AFC NimbleThumb

I’m not sure what the match goers clamouring for a refurb are actually expecting.

I attend either via one of the clubs through work or on my mates season ticket so experience more than one match day experience & both are adequate for viewing a game.

You can clad the outside in metal all you like, it’ll still be a concrete bowl with plastic seats.

The lack of expansion is glaring & it could do with better upkeep but I like that the OT, similar to Villa Park is brick based instead of these modern stadiums that generally date in look rather quickly.

AneRu

Yeah, they don’t ABSOLUTELY have to build a brand new stadium but a serious upgrade and refresh is really needed.
This, that stadium is home to so many memories and is a huge part of the club's history. Our second most valuable asset after the brand name. Just renovate and upgrade facilities whilst expanding capacity.