Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

Giggsyking

Have anyone seen the images of the execution of the young Palestinian kid yesterday. I cant look at the pictures again. What was the soldier doing on occupied Palestinian territory in the first place?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Have anyone seen the images of the execution of the young Palestinian kid yesterday. I cant look at the pictures again. What was the soldier doing on occupied Palestinian territory in the first place?
I’ve seen it - I was going to post it but got busy. It’s horrific, essentially an execution. Reminds me of these bent coppers in the US killing black people. They do so with impunity and it’s disgusting.

Giggsyking

I’ve seen it - I was going to post it but got busy. It’s horrific, essentially an execution. Reminds me of these bent coppers in the US killing black people. They do so with impunity and it’s disgusting.
There was the excuse from the IDF that the kid tried to take the soldier weapon. But in the first place the kid was resisting an arrest. They expect to go to Palestinian land, arrest whoever they want and expect total submission. No one with dignity would accept that.

united for life

Unfortunately the world has seen this, and many other similar or worse incidents, and just remained silent. Israel’s terrorism keeps getting worse while the international community remains silent. Palestinians woke up, found strangers living in their homes. These strangers then started executing them left right and center. No limits while the whole world watches (or don’t as they don’t care).

Foxbatt

It's because they are not blond and blue eyed that they don't care. Look at Russia and the sanctions imposed on them. Look what happens if anyone even think about sanctions on Israel.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
It's because they are not blond and blue eyed that they don't care. Look at Russia and the sanctions imposed on them. Look what happens if anyone even think about sanctions on Israel.
This made me chuckle.
The world has invested so much time, money, effort and attention in this conflict - there are conflicts out there that have received almost nothing when compared to Palestine. For example, China can imprison and ethnically cleanse pesky minorities. Almost nothing happens then compared to Palestine.

Ukraine is a huge country with a huge trade with the West (compared to Palestine). It has a huge population and it is super close to the West - there are several reasons why the West needed to intervene in a drastic way.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This made me chuckle.
The world has invested so much time, money, effort and attention in this conflict - there are conflicts out there that have received almost nothing when compared to Palestine. For example, China can imprison and ethnically cleanse pesky minorities. Almost nothing happens then compared to Palestine.

Ukraine is a huge country with a huge trade with the West (compared to Palestine). It has a huge population and it is super close to the West - there are several reasons why the West needed to intervene in a drastic way.
It also completely ignores the power dynamic in domestic US politics that drives the prevailing western position on the Israeli-Palesinian conflict.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Explain the power dynamic that drives the prevailing western position.
Right wing Christians on the Republican side support a strong Israel. On the other side, most American Jews vote Democratic and support a strong, yet slightly more pragmatic Israel. Collectively, both sides generally agree on varying levels of steadfast support.

The only parts of US politics that diverge from this are extreme right wingers who dabble in anti-semitism and left wing progressives - neither of which have the power or cachet to make any meaningful change in American policy on Israel. As long as this construct remains, there will be no movement on Israeli policy, which is enabled by American moral, materiel, and financial support.

How the Israelis choose to deal with Hamas and vice versa is merely a subset of the broader geopolitical dynamic involving the US supporting Israel because of its own domestic substate politics.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Right wing Christians on the Republican side support a strong Israel. On the other side, most American Jews vote Democratic and support a strong, yet slightly more pragmatic Israel. Collectively, both sides generally agree on varying levels of steadfast support.

The only parts of US politics that diverge from this are extreme right wingers who dabble in anti-semitism and left wing progressives - neither of which have the power or cachet to make any meaningful change in American policy on Israel. As long as this construct remains, there will be no movement on Israeli policy, which is enabled by American moral, materiel, and financial support.

How the Israelis choose to deal with Hamas and vice versa is merely a subset of the broader geopolitical dynamic involving the US supporting Israel because of its own domestic substate politics.
You forgot the amount of money Pro-Israel lobbies throw into politics as well, that's one of the biggest factors.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You forgot the amount of money Pro-Israel lobbies throw into politics as well, that's one of the biggest factors.
Sure, but if it was just down to money then the pro-Palestinian side could do the same to mitigate it. The fact that there's a deep cultural undercurrent about the need for Israeli security among both American political parties is the driving force behind US policy. The amount of money spent on lobbying is an emergent property of this.

Pintu

Sure, but if it was just down to money then the pro-Palestinian side could do the same to mitigate it. The fact that there's a deep cultural undercurrent about the need for Israeli security among both American political parties is the driving force behind US policy. The amount of money spent on lobbying is an emergent property of this.
I wouldn’t call it “Israeli security”… The Pentecost Church I was raised in over here (and I suspect it’s the same dynamic among evangelicals over there) certainly makes it a strictly religious issue. We simply have to help bring about the end times…

Foxbatt

This made me chuckle.

What are you on about? Look at the restrictions placed on China and that's without any conclusive proof about ethnic cleansing.
Look at the UN security council resolutions Israel is flouting.
Anyone can sanction China and the west welcomes it and not only that encourages such cases and agitation inside China. Look what happens when IDF shoots an unarmed American reporter? Because she is not white and because it's Israel it gets swept under the carpet.
Every US politician has to take an oath of allegiance to Israel.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
What are you on about? Look at the restrictions placed on China and that's without any conclusive proof about ethnic cleansing.
Look at the UN security council resolutions Israel is flouting.
Anyone can sanction China and the west welcomes it and not only that encourages such cases and agitation inside China. Look what happens when IDF shoots an unarmed American reporter? Because she is not white and because it's Israel it gets swept under the carpet.
Every US politician has to take an oath of allegiance to Israel.
Which China sanctions are you talking about?
They have nothing to do with the ethnic cleansing in Tibet or Falun Dafa.

Bebe

well said

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
That's brilliant from England fans and the Palestinian flag by the African countries. Finally the Ben and Jerry's allegedly "futile gestures" are beginning to seep through.

Maybe some European teams can do a hand over the eyes team photo before a game?

MDFC Manager

That's brilliant from England fans and the Palestinian flag by the African countries. Finally the Ben and Jerry's allegedly "futile gestures" are beginning to seep through.

Maybe some European teams can do a hand over the eyes team photo before a game?
You'll be waiting a long long time to see that happen

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
You'll be waiting a long long time to see that happen
I don't know. Cantona and Celtic have been fighting the good fight for a while (I was surprised to find out about Cantona myself recently). Tides tend to turn and eventually they quicken. I'm sure a very large percentage of Europeans are seeing what's happening in Palestine and, despite the media whitewash and political pressures, something is not sitting right in their personal moral compasses.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
IDF says sniper likely mistakenly killed Palestinian girl during Jenin raid
Citing initial investigation, military says Jana Zakarna, 16, apparently was near gunmen who were shooting at troops from rooftops

The Israel Defense Forces said it believed with “high probability” that a soldier accidentally shot and killed a teenage Palestinian girl during a battle with Palestinian gunmen in the northern West Bank city of Jenin late Sunday.

The girl, Jana Majdi Assam Zakarna, 16, was found dead on the roof of her home with a gunshot wound to the head after the Israeli troops withdrew from Jenin, according to the official Palestinian news agency WAFA.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/idf-r...irl-accidently-killed-by-troops-in-jenin/amp/

Foxbatt

Which China sanctions are you talking about?
They have nothing to do with the ethnic cleansing in Tibet or Falun Dafa.
Absolutely it has. But what are the sanctions Israel is facing for their persecution and ethnic cleansing of The Palestinians?
If anyone sanctions Israel that particular party is sanctioned or face discrimination.

Foxbatt

No they don’t.
Of course officially they don't but everyone says that Israeli security is top most important. Everyone running for president has to say that they would defend Israel and apart from one time Obama's administration in which they abstained the US has vetoed any resolution against Israel.
Simply implement UN resolution 242.

Pintu

Of course officially they don't but everyone says that Israeli security is top most important. Everyone running for president has to say that they would defend Israel and apart from one time Obama's administration in which they abstained the US has vetoed any resolution against Israel.
Simply implement UN resolution 242.
More like a shot at Trump than a real stance against Israel's crimes. They'd already lost the 2016 election when they abstained. You have to wonder how they'd have voted if Clinton had won the elections.

https://www.vox.com/world/2016/12/23/14071550/united-nations-vote-israeli-settlements-obama-trump

It was the first time in nearly 40 years that the Security Council has passed a resolution critical of Israeli settlements. It was also a firm rebuke of both Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who had strongly argued against it, and President-elect Donald Trump, who had taken the highly unprecedented move of weighing in Thursday and pressing for the measure to be vetoed.

Foxbatt

More like a shot at Trump than a real stance against Israel's crimes. They'd already lost the 2016 election when they abstained. You have to wonder how they'd have voted if Clinton had won the elections.

https://www.vox.com/world/2016/12/23/14071550/united-nations-vote-israeli-settlements-obama-trump

It was the first time in nearly 40 years that the Security Council has passed a resolution critical of Israeli settlements. It was also a firm rebuke of both Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who had strongly argued against it, and President-elect Donald Trump, who had taken the highly unprecedented move of weighing in Thursday and pressing for the measure to be vetoed.
You are probably right. It's utter hypocrisy for any nation to veto a security council resolution and then accuse other countries of ignoring or breaking SC resolution.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
How is that cnut Netanyahu back in power? and with the most far right government ever...

Wasn't he done, according to several posters in here?

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
How is that cnut Netanyahu back in power? and with the most far right government ever...

Wasn't he done, according to several posters in here?
The previous coalition which was involved quite a broad range of Israeli (and Arab) politicians fell apart due to a technicality involving unleavened bread (no really). This meant that an election was triggered.

This is a good article surmising how far right and ugly this current incarnation of Israeli politicians are: https://www.theatlantic.com/interna...rael-election-bibi-netanyahu-ben-gvir/672572/

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Is Netanyahu so well liked in Israel then? Dude keeps getting elected.