Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Is Netanyahu so well liked in Israel then? Dude keeps getting elected.
The article above basically put it quite well - the Israeli political landscape is either pro or anti Netanyuhu. The previous government formed the coalition primarily to get him out of power - and this was a coalition all across the spectrum. He’s done the equivalent with far right Israeli parties to get himself back into power.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
LIBERMAN: ISRAEL CAN'T RELY ON GLOBAL BODIES FOR PROTECTION

‘Diplomatic victory’: Palestinians hail UN vote for World Court probe of occupation

Israel said encouraged by lower number of votes in favor of UNGA resolution; measure calls for court to investigate settlements, Jerusalem and 'discriminatory legislation'

https://www.timesofisrael.com/pales...-court-to-weigh-in-on-israeli-occupation/amp/
What's with the "Western" countries and Israel? In a nutshell...

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine

The oversimplified answer to your question is that the Jewish Zionist & Christian Zionist & pro-Israeli lobby holds a lot of power and political swathe in the US. And the US and Israel are political bedfellows. So essentially they (US) set the tone for the other ‘Western’ nations such as the UK, Canada, Aussies etc. Germany are pro-Israel for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
The oversimplified answer to your question is that the Jewish & Christian Zionist & pro-Israeli lobby holds a lot of power and political swathe in the US. And the US and Israel are political bedfellows. So essentially they (US) set the tone for the other ‘Western’ nations such as the UK, Canada, Aussies etc. Germany are pro-Israel for obvious reasons.
Jeez. Thanks for the explanation. I thought this might be it, but I couldn't bring myself to outright believe it.

Because we are a bunch of shameless, hypocritical cowards (except for Ireland, it would seem, but they have their moments too)..
Politics :lol:

AlPistacho

It genuinely, at its deepest core, comes down to religious fundamentalism. At its root core, although money and business glosses over it, there are hard core Christian fundamentalists in the USA who believe that certain things will only happen with Israel as the home to Jews and certain other things in Jerusalem. How long these beliefs have existed I don’t know.

These people have long had powerful positions in US politics

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Wasn't it just a couple of weeks ago they killed a young girls looking for a cat on a roof?
Yes - that’s true. And it was only a few months ago they killed a Palestinian-American journalist with a journalist vest on. I mean, the comment by Blake is complete obfuscation but it’s par for the course with this lot. They can’t ever admit their own depraved behaviour so they shove it all under the guise of ‘we’re constantly being attacked’.

Last edited:

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Israeli government plan to limit judicial powers sharply criticised

Grave concerns over Netanyahu coalition’s plan to invalidate supreme court decisions with simple majority

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...s-plans-to-limit-power-of-judiciary-condemned

Levin said the changes were necessary because the judiciary was overly active, “interfering” in government decision-making and Knesset legislation, bringing public trust to an all-time low, crippling the government’s ability to govern and inflicting a major blow to democracy. “We go the ballot box and vote but time after time people we didn’t elect make the decisions for us,” he said.

----

It is like the same people are running the same campaigns in the UK and Israel.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Palestine’s FA asks FIFA to probe reported Israeli killing of footballer

• Local footballer Ahmed Daraghmeh, 23, played for West Bank Premier League team Thaqafi Tulkarm
  • “Palestinian football has been grieved by the assassination of one of its top footballers,” PFA told Arab News in a statement
DUBAI: Palestine’s Football Association has called on the sport’s governing body FIFA to investigate the death of local football player Ahmed Daraghmeh after it said the 23-year-old striker was shot and killed by Israeli soldiers during a raid in the West Bank city of Nablus on Thursday.

https://www.arabnews.com/node/2220451/amp

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud

maniak

Supports
Arsenal

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Or another intifada, which Israel will blame on Palestinians again.
At some point, as I mentioned before too much anger, the international community should find some land and gift it to the Palestinians, so they can be resettled. I cannot see any other way tbh, I just don't see Israel relenting in their quest to expunge them.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
At some point, as I mentioned before too much anger, the international community should find some land and gift it to the Palestinians, so they can be resettled. I cannot see any other way tbh, I just don't see Israel relenting in their quest to expunge them.
But not in the West Bank and Gaza? So essentially force another country to give them a country inside? Where have we seen that before :p

Last edited:

Murder on Zidane's Floor

But not in the West Bank and Gaza? So essentially force another country to give them a country inside? Where have we seen that before :p
I mean, the question to ask is how long to you want these people to suffer? It's not going to end. Stop the suffering, just give them the Isle of Wight.

phelans shorts

Well maybe the international community in large should stop supporting them in this quest and force Israel to give Palestinians their land back.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Well maybe the international community in large should stop supporting them in this quest and force Israel to give Palestinians their land back.
The international community have no say in the matter. Its strictly down to the two players and Israel's primary benefactor (the US) and possibly a regional intermediary like Egypt.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
The international community have no say in the matter. Its strictly down to the two players and Israel's primary benefactor (the US) and possibly a regional intermediary like Egypt.
Do you mean they shouldn't or just that the reality is they don't/won't?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Of course they do, they choose not to.
The international community is impotent given that Israeli power is undergirded by US support, and more broadly, the issue of Palestine/Israel isn't even remotely on the radar for most countries, who are already bogged down in managing their own affairs.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
The international community is impotent given that Israeli power is undergirded by US support, and more broadly, the issue of Palestine/Israel isn't even remotely on the radar for most countries, who are already bogged down in managing their own affairs.
It's not on their radar, true, that's why they don't do anything. If they cared, they could do something. They paint themselves as impotent because it's a convenient way to justify not moving a finger.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's not on their radar, true, that's why they don't do anything. If they cared, they could do something. They paint themselves as impotent because it's a convenient way to justify not moving a finger.
Its mainly because they are powerless and the issue isn't important to them, just as the Rohyingas, Uyghurs, refugee crises in places like the DRC, Central African Republic, Sudan, and elsewhere aren't.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Its mainly because they are powerless and the issue isn't important to them, just as the Rohyingas, Uyghurs, refugee crises in places like the DRC, Central African Republic, Sudan, and elsewhere aren't.
I agree with the second part, but the world isn't powerless in any of those issues, they just don't care. That's my only point here.

If the world, except the US, decided to boycott israel, things would change in a heartbeat.