Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Sounds like you are equating the two. I suppose your post is good evidence for what I said, that no matter what, some people will never change their perspectives about this.
I'm sorry, but I can never, ever support the Israeli government. Doesnt mean I support Hamas killing innocent Israelis though.

I know a thing or two about a colonial power taking land that isnt theirs.

Maybe thats why my perspective is what it is?

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Read the last few pages. Posters saying that Palestinians won't die of thirst because the sea is there. A poster from Israel basically blaming the entire Israel-Palestine situation on the Palestinians. There's other things. It's not been very nice.
Aside from that nonsense, if you read the whole thread, that poster also gives a fair assessment of the situation in the region and why Palestinians feel aggrieved. (S)He's fearing for (her)his people and country and there's nothing wrong with that. All of the posters really engaging in this thread are bit biased, which will inevitably lead to over the top statements or attempts to minimize the horrible shit that's been done or will be done by both sides. You can't change human nature.

Doesn't apply to me, though.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
It's a vicious cycle. Deep down I'm convinced that the atrocities that both side commit or allow are meant to maintain the political leaders in place, Hamas need the conflict to justify its existence and the israeli far right needs Hamas and terrorism in general to justify the current mainstream nature of their views and to stay in power. Everyone else is caught in the middle of that nonsense.
Good post.

Giggsyking

It's an observation of the consequences of Hamas' terror, nothing more. Or does anyone think Gaza would look like in this video today without Hamas' barbarism?
Any person with half a brain cell got through your intentions in the beginning of this thread and called you out on it. It's not difficult to observe a pattern, you made a very obvious pattern.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

LA Times has retracted the rape claim as it’s been unsubstantiated.

@Raoul @calodo2003 - I know this wasn’t one of the sources you provided but I imagine given the wording and phrases used, they all came from that Tablet article which would suggest it’s been made up / misinformation.

@Iker Quesadillas @hasanejaz88 fyi as well.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

I reckon we are a day or two out from people saying this is either an inside job by Israel or a false flag event given some of the wild shit flying around twitter.

Carolina Red

Staff
It's a vicious cycle. Deep down I'm convinced that the atrocities that both side commit or allow are meant to maintain the political leaders in place, Hamas need the conflict to justify its existence and the israeli far right needs Hamas and terrorism in general to justify the current mainstream nature of their views and to stay in power. Everyone else is caught in the middle of that nonsense.
Agreed
That's fair, but look how it went. He has failed his own country.

He may allow them to grow to a certain point for his own reasons, but there is no way he is going to allow an airport being built or important resources finding their way in. He doesn't want them to grow to the point where they are a genuine threat to Israel's existence.
I was mainly talking to the fact that Israel’s policies are creating a constant cycle of radicalization among those forced to live in Gaza.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine

Murder on Zidane's Floor

@Raoul @calodo2003 - I know this wasn’t one of the sources you provided but I imagine given the wording and phrases used, they all came from that Tablet article which would suggest it’s been made up / misinformation.

Let's see if other outlets/mainstream do the same.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

@Raoul @calodo2003 - I know this wasn’t one of the sources you provided but I imagine given the wording and phrases used they all came from that Tablet article which would suggest it’s been made up / misinformation.

The rape and decapitating babies allegations will no doubt be looked at in the coming days once survivors begin telling their stories of what they saw and experienced. In either case, they won't change Israeli policy of a ground war into Gaza to get rid of Hamas. That would've happened anyway as a result of the 1k plus deaths.

Kaos

Question for those in the 'what choice does Israel have?' camp.

Hypothetically if the Palestinian resistance becomes a completely pacifist and peaceful one overnight, what do you anticipate would happen? Would the Israelis stop building illegal settlements, chipping away at Palestinian territories until there's nothing left for them to cobble together for a country to call their own? And if they don't, who's going to stop them? Are the international community going to mobilise to place sanctions and force their hand?

For me thats always been the frustrating constant. These events are horrible, and I despair to imagine the suffering that's happened in the last few days. But why do we only seem to ask hard questions at times where the fair share of suffering is endured by one side?

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Giggsyking

I don't think Israel would be justified to hit civilian buildings just for the sake of killing civilians. But I suspect with Hamas the lines between civilian buildings and non-civilian buildings will get blurred. So I don't think a bomb hitting a civilian building is necessarily the same as civilians being massacred down point blank.
wow

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
The rape and decapitating babies allegations will no doubt be looked at in the coming days once survivors begin telling their stories of what they saw and experienced. In either case, they won't change Israeli policy of a ground war into Gaza to get rid of Hamas. That would've happened anyway as a result of the 1k plus deaths.
I’m not debating whether it changes policy. You were convinced that they happened yesterday, and I’ve provided evidence that a sizeable news organisation has retracted any reference to it as it’s unsubstantiated. Do you know accept the possibility that the rape claims were unsubstantiated and possibly fabricated?

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Hypothetically if the Palestinian resistance becomes a completely pacifist and peaceful one overnight, what do you anticipate would happen? Would the Israelis stop building illegal settlements, chipping away at Palestinian territories until there's nothing left for them to cobble together for a country to call their own? And if they don't, who's going to stop them? Are the international community going to mobilise to place sanctions and force their hand?

For me thats always been the frustrating constant. These events are horrible, and I despair to imagine the suffering that's happened in the last few days. But why do we only seem to ask hard questions at times where the fair share of suffering is endured by one side?
I imagine it'll be silence.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I’m not debating whether it changes policy. You were convinced that they happened yesterday, and I’ve provided evidence that a sizeable news organisation has retracted any reference to it as it’s unsubstantiated. Do you know accept the possibility that the rape claims were unsubstantiated and possibly fabricated?
I said there were reports/allegations, which is precisely what they are. Let's wait and see what the accounts are once more people who were actually there begin talking.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Not in support of what Israel have been doing recently or their expansion of territory over the decades.

But what did Hammas think this attack was was going to achive? They have given Netanyahu the excuse to go all-out attack on Gaza. I think there will be lucky if there is anything left in 3 weeks time.
Not sure much thought goes into things like this other than hatred, revenge and desperation. There's no prospect of it achieving anything.

Really hope there's no truth to massacring babies, but the propaganda machine will kick in either way now and that will be the licence for however many innocent people are killed in retaliation. Which of course makes no sense either.

Unfortunately there's a political agenda to uniting people and your potential opponents against a common enemy, and there'll always be a Hamas or some version of it that will punch back. There are just a lot of innocent people stuck in the middle of it, most of whom are probably firmly entrenched in one side or the other themselves due to not liking the threat of bombs being dropped on them or people just randomly turning up to slaughter them.

Kostov

What the feck is wrong with people? Chopping babies heads? I mean what kind of monsters can do something like that? There was also a video of a Palestinian baby pulled out of a destroyed building, unconscious or lifeless, made me sick in the stomach. Human barbarity never fails to shock me.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
The last place Palestinians should look for for sympathy is the Germany and the EU. With their heavy guilt from WWII and before, Israel can annihilate the whole of Palestine and their politicians will come out with a statement calling for restraint from both sides.

I love living in Germany and it's people, but this is one facet you can't ignore about them.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Palestine will be erased from the map in a matter of decades and no one will actually care.

Edit: And if Israel were defenceless, I suspect that the reverse would be true.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
It's moments in history like this and with things going on in Ukraine - that an invasion of extraterrestrial beings coming for us to unite the people of earth against a common enemy might be good. Compared to other places on the interweb right now this is relatively civil, but just the bickering and division this sows beyond the borders of Israel is sad to see.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Precisely. So what do people suggest the Palestinians do? Give up and concede to a life of statelessness, living out their days in refugee camps? Disappear off the face of the earth to make everyone's life easier?
Exactly that. Just shut up and get in the sea.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

You know the answers to all those valid questions.

Here's one. "This is not the time to have those conversations. Let Israel mourn for years first. Whataboutism"

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It's pretty amazing that people just realised the monstrosity of these events after they read about it in the western media because it was Isrealis at the end of it, when Israelis bombed hospitals, civilian buildings, attacked innocent people during months like Ramadan in mosques for months and years without anyone giving zero fecks about it.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

It's moments in history like this and with things going on in Ukraine - that an invasion of extraterrestrial beings coming for us to unite the people of earth against a common enemy might be good. Compared to other places on the interweb right now this is relatively civil, but just the bickering and division this sows beyond the borders of Israel is sad to see.
My conspiracy theory is that the US spend so much more on defence, not to run the world but because they discovered aliens and are terrified they're coming back.

Kaos

Palestine will be erased from the map in a matter of decades and no one will actually care.

Edit: And if Israel were defenceless, I suspect that the reverse would be true.
But they aren't defenceless. They're a military superpower with nuclear weapons, supported unequivocally by the world's sole superpower. They're not going anywhere. In truth there's only one group of people who's future statehood aspirations and existence as a people at dire risk, and its been happening gradually for decades without the slightest whimper of despair from in the international community.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

You could just as easily ask what would happen if Israel stood down its offense and let the people of Gaza roam free. Would the same people, who sacrificed so many of their own to kill 1000+ Israelis lay down their weapons and try to live in peace?

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
My conspiracy theory is that the US spend so much more on defence, not to run the world but because they discovered aliens and are terrified they're coming back.
*X-Files theme starts playing*
I've actually heard this theory before. If true, I take back everything Ive said about criticizing our defense spending instead of routing it to infrastructure, education, etc. :lol:

owlo

Precisely. So what do people suggest the Palestinians do? Give up and concede to a life of statelessness, living out their days in refugee camps? Disappear off the face of the earth to make everyone's life easier?
The most realistic solution for me is not very realistic. It would be for the responsible countries - Israel Britain USA, Jordan Egypt Lebanon etc to carve up the population and accept them as refugees.

2 state solution would effectively be a rump state now, would solve nothing.

And they can’t continue on the current path of resistance. They’ll be wiped out.

ergo, there’s no solution…