Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

Fearless

Mighty Mouse
Genetically speaking as a related people you all were, you both just branched apart faith-wise.

I can't say I wasn't warned, I hope you're not insulted when I say that a Box of Frogs is going to be my best partial descriptor for you. I'm now going to do the adult version of putting you on 'Ignore'.
I've been called worse! All the best.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
And you don't think substituting your family for 'people' more apt?

Treating people like 2nd class citizens? In the UK that's when the South-Eastern counties get brand new train carriages and give their old carriages to the North-West. Killing each other is something else altogether.

Carolina Red

Staff
And you don't think substituting your family for 'people' more apt?

Treating people like 2nd class citizens? In the UK that's when the South-Eastern counties get brand new train carriages and give their old carriages to the North-West. Killing each other is something else altogether.
What now?

Carolina Red

Staff
Apparently the Jews and the Palestinians are related. According to DNA studies. That makes them Family, not just 'People'.
Oh, yeah I’ve got no argument against that. Goes along with archeology leaning toward Israelites integrating with the Canaanites rather than wiping them out per the Bible.

That said, I’ll be honest, I wasn’t really responding to that part of the post, just the sentiment about not treating folks like 2nd class citizens.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Apparently the Jews and the Palestinians are related. According to DNA studies. That makes them Family, not just 'People'.
Ha, yes, as you said, it's been more or less the same population for centuries, just different sociocultural identities. But then again, "every person alive at this point in 10th-century Europe who left descendants is an ancestor of all Europeans alive today", and 3,400 years ago, "the entire population of the Earth were the ancestors of everyone alive today" (link). How's that for family!

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Oh, yeah I’ve got no argument against that. Goes along with archeology leaning toward Israelites integrating with the Canaanites rather than wiping them out per the Bible.

That said, I’ll be honest, I wasn’t really responding to that part of the post, just the sentiment about not treating folks like 2nd class citizens.
Sure. I love those archeology programmes. Especially the ones where they find a tiny sliver of pottery and then show you a graphic of a large amphora. Although I'm beginning to wonder if ancient people only made amphoras or whether archeologists only find tiny slivers of amphoras. It's tricky.

The Palestinians aren't viewed as any type of specific citizens. Or humans. Post 'Bingo' now eh?

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Ha, yes, as you said, it's been more or less the same population for centuries, just different sociocultural identities. But then again, "every person alive at this point in 10th-century Europe who left descendants is an ancestor of all Europeans alive today", and 3,400 years ago, "the entire population of the Earth were the ancestors of everyone alive today" (link). How's that for family!
I'm part African and Norse Pillager. How dare you suggest I'm European.

I just think the closer the same space you both occupy geographically and being the people who argue the most with each other definitely makes you more family.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I'm part African and Norse Pillager. How dare you suggest I'm European.

I just think the closer the same space you both occupy geographically and being the people who argue the most with each other definitely makes you more family.
Pfft, family is family! ;) (But no, you're not welcome to dinner tonight.)

Giggs86

It does not go to the government, it goes to their own pensions, their free high quality schools, free high quality medical care. It goes to their right to stay at home with your sick child and get paid to take care of your own sick child. It goes to the right to take 1.5 year paid parent leave. It goes for free education. The list goes on. I was not wrong, you do have difficulty understanding it. Feel free to ask more to let me enlighten you.
Yes, please enlighten me further how should I hand more money to the government. All those things you mention as 'free' are not free because you obviously pay for them.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Pfft, family is family! ;) (But no, you're not welcome to dinner tonight.)
Like I'm bothered, I already ate.

The only reason I brought DNA up was because a poster was trying to claim that his/hers/theirs ancestors had the first claim on the land. In truth they all lived together quite reasonably together for the longest time imaginable.

In truth their differences are religion. Something else they literally shared at some point.

I think we've seen enough evidence over the last couple of days and the last 70 years to possibly believe they see each other as human beings let alone citizens or family.

Carolina Red

Staff
Yes, please enlighten me further how should I hand more money to the government. All those things you mention as 'free' are not free because you obviously pay for them.
You do know that Israel has stuff like universal healthcare and government subsidized college right?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Like I'm bothered, I already ate.

The only reason I brought DNA up was because a poster was trying to claim that his/hers/theirs ancestors had the first claim on the land. In truth they all lived together quite reasonably together for the longest time imaginable.

In truth their differences are religion. Something else they literally shared at some point.

I think we've seen enough evidence over the last couple of days and the last 70 years to possibly believe they see each other as human beings let alone citizens or family.
You don't do second dinner?

Anyway, I agree on all that, and also with people saying that history anyway isn't a good argument for current claims - especially ancient history.

Giggsyking

You are not being serious, at least I hope so, you are not criticizing the system of on of the most developed countries and communities in the world, arent you?

Giggs86

You are not being serious, at least I hope so, you are not criticizing the system of on of the most developed countries and communities in the world, arent you?
Criticizing? No, why would I? I criticize your gloating how you can enlighten an American with your 'free' progressive social system, claiming and using the word 'free' many times. You surely understand that it is not free, when you pay 50% of your income for it, right?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Apparently it was only 3 rockets, followed by a huge barrage in the south.
OK I’ve just read a report that suggests it was a Palestinian faction, not Hezbollah, and that all three rockets went into the sea. Hope to God it’s true.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Apologies if this is a silly question because I’m really not well educated on the subject - how do Hamas manage to amass their weapons/rockets if Gaza is under blockade from Israel?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Apologies if this is a silly question because I’m really not well educated on the subject - how do Hamas manage to amass their weapons/rockets if Gaza is under blockade from Israel?
I'm guessing homemade from parts that are not meant to be used for rockets? They're pretty crappy rockets as far as I know

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't know if it's the still the favored option but tunnels used to be one of them.