Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Irans Foreign minister cancelling a visit to Austria over flying an Israeli flag, protests in Iraq and Jordan signify high levels of support for Hamas, multiple countries journalists killed in an Israeli attack.
Doesn't look good.
Which countries' journalists have been killed?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Irans Foreign minister cancelling a visit to Austria over flying an Israeli flag, protests in Iraq and Jordan signify high levels of support for Hamas, multiple countries journalists killed in an Israeli attack.
Doesn't look good.
A world conflict isn’t the next step.

Do you have a link for the journalist story?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
‘In a BBC interview, Mark Regev, a senior adviser to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanhyahu, has defended Israel's actions in Gaza.

"I don't want to see any innocent bystanders hurt, let alone children. I don't want to see Israeli children or Palestinian children caught up in the crossfire," Regev told BBC World TV.

"But if you use the example of 2014 [when Israel launched a ground offensive in Gaza in response to Palestinian rocket-fire], it's after that conflict we did achieve a sustained period of quiet. As long as Hamas is stuck in its very, very radical extremist agenda, you can't talk to them about peace.”’

That’s some But...

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Anyone know of the London demonstration numbers? Al Jazeera reporting the organisers are claiming 100,000. :eek:

Pretty impressive turnout even if it's just a quarter of that number.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Anyone know of the London demonstration numbers? Al Jazeera reporting the organisers are claiming 100,000. :eek:

Only the organisers so far claiming 100k according to The Guardian and the Independent.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

The London stuff was a bit confusing as there was an anti mask/vaccine/lockdown protest occurring just before / simultaneously in various places so they got blended into each other at times when moving through the city but from what I could see on foot there were 10k + at least.

space

I was there in London today, there were so many people it was amazing - literally endless once we reached the embassy

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I honestly believe this situation has the capacity to start another world war.
Iraq, Iran and Jordan involved now, uprisings in Europe, political pressure put on the Israeli leaning European nations.
Doesn't look good.
Not quite yet. On the ground there is definitely a lot of support for an all out war, the passion I’ve seen amongst Muslims in the U.K. for example is beyond anything I’ve seen in my life to date but there isn’t a willingness yet in political circles in the countries that matter and who can wage war and I think Israel will back off before taking it too far beyond the point of no return. They like to carry out their genocide bit by bit, not in one fell swoop like the Nazis. They’re smart like that.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I was there in London today, there were so many people it was amazing - literally endless once we reached the embassy
Birmingham was pretty much in lockdown too from city centre all the way into the main roads from suburbs leading into town. Massive response.

I can only see it getting much bigger in future protests if things don’t change by next week.

space

Birmingham was pretty much in lockdown too from city centre all the way into the main roads from suburbs leading into town. Massive response.

I can only see it getting much bigger in future protests if things don’t change by next week.
Great to hear!! many Palestinians were saying too that this time feels a bit different so I truly hope some change comes! I will keep on going as long I can!

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Same - was amazing. No space from Marble Arch all the way down to Kensington! Just full of people.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
At least in terms of official responses, I believe things are better for Israel now than before. The US is the same as it was. Western Europe, which used to muster some residual both-sidesism, has mostly released statements condemning by name only Hamas.

And Israel has several new allies. The right-wing govts in Eastern Europe, Brazil since 2018, and India, which has gone from the 1st non-Islamic country to recognise the PLO, to now releasing statements identical to the US (condemning only Hamas by name). An even more stark journey is by China, which under Mao armed the PFLP, and now is Israel's second largest weapons trading partner.

Even in popular discourse, there's been a massive distance from this to this.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Not quite yet. On the ground there is definitely a lot of support for an all out war, the passion I’ve seen amongst Muslims in the U.K. for example is beyond anything I’ve seen in my life to date but there isn’t a willingness yet in political circles in the countries that matter and who can wage war and I think Israel will back off before taking it too far beyond the point of no return. They like to carry out their genocide bit by bit, not in one fell swoop like the Nazis. They’re smart like that.
A war like the previous wars against Israel would be one of the worst outcomes for the palestinians. They would lose and it would probably provide Israel with a final incentive to push them out of what they've got left there.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
A war like the previous wars against Israel would be one of the worst outcomes for the palestinians. They would lose and it would probably provide Israel with a final incentive to push them out of what they've got left there.
Agreed. Which is why if it does need to go to war, timing needs to be right as does organisation and alliances and weaponry etc. No way is that possible at the moment.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Agreed. Which is why if it does need to go to war, timing needs to be right as does organisation and alliances and weaponry etc. No way is that possible at the moment.
I don't think there's any scenario under which the Palestinians, with or without assistance of a third party, should want to go to war with Israel. The Israelis are light years ahead in terms of weapons and technology, and also have nukes, so any calculus of attempting to defeat them militarily would result in total death and destruction on the Palestinians side, and probably see the Israelis returning to take over all of Gaza.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I don't think there's any scenario under which the Palestinians, with or without assistance of a third party, should want to go to war with Israel. The Israelis are light years ahead in terms of weapons and technology, and also have nukes, so any calculus of attempting to defeat them militarily would result in total death and destruction on the Palestinians side, and probably see the Israelis returning to take over all of Gaza.
And they are doing all of this unprovoked I can just imagine what they'll unleash if they do go to war.

Foxbatt

What about changing the government of Israel
They were going to but Netanyahu created this chaos to hold on to power and get himself out if this corruption charges and there is going to be another election soon in Israel.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Finally a reasoned response!
Makes sense to me.

I just feel that the outrage that is pouring from the anti Israel 'side' will put pressure on western Governments to finally put pressure on Israel.
When/if that happens we will see major escalation I feel.

kidbob

This is just particularly heartbreaking. She should be a child who is free from responsibility and free to have fun and to dream. Instead she sounds like an adult because of her experiences. They have literally stolen the childhoods of so many of these kids. The idea that there are people out there who can watch this and still justify what is happening, and has been happening for a lifetime, is crazy to me. I've seen the Troubles and the tragedies that it brought but this is somehow something much more sinister for me. This, for me, evokes what it would be like to watch the colonial conquer of Ireland in real time. Make no mistake Israel won't stop until they have consumed them. They will say that they want peace and make other false platitudes and justifications but it won't be enough until they quash the Palestinians.

The fact that the so called 'World leaders' not only stand by but support this makes me ashamed to be human.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Mohammed Hadidi told reporters his wife and five children had gone to celebrate the Eidul Fitr holiday with relatives. She and three of the children, aged six to 14, were killed, while an 11-year-old is missing. Only his five-month-old son Omar is known to have survived.

Children's toys and a Monopoly board game could be seen among the rubble, as well as plates of uneaten food from the holiday gathering.

owlo

This thread makes you realise how little people know about war and suffering. How desperate refugees and asylum seekers are when they go to Europe or the US to seek a better life.

And this is mild, really mild.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
This thread makes you realise how little people know about war and suffering. How desperate refugees and asylum seekers are when they go to Europe or the US to seek a better life.

And this is mild, really mild.
Especially when you read the sheltered Israeli responses trying to gain some sympathy from the sirens and shelters as traumatic.

You don't know shit until you see actual destruction around you.

Wolverine

Great to hear!! many Palestinians were saying too that this time feels a bit different so I truly hope some change comes! I will keep on going as long I can!
I wish I was as hopeful. I feel less hopeful now that Arab states have peace deals done/some awaiting which will mean even less diplomatic leverage employed for tangible change.
The feeling of difference I feel might just be more sustained outrage due to more mechanisms to prevent it rather than just sharing Norman Finkelstein clips on facebook before and arguing on internet chatrooms now we have instagram stories etc.

But still there is the sociopathic immoral justification for Palestinian suffering, worsening riots/random pogram-like attacks and violence, settlement expansion, far right rhetoric more brazen and murderous. And no way I can avenue or route for any meaningful/tangible change in our future with Western governments and even more centre-left opposition firmly pro-status quo. Despite the protestations. Just don't believe there is enough consensus for this to be a post-George Floyd esque type moment even with the social media artillery that activists have to mobilise public sentiment. Who knows.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
New round of rockets launched within the past half hour. Looks like another violent night ahead.

owlo

Especially when you read the sheltered Israeli responses trying to gain some sympathy from the sirens and shelters as traumatic.

You don't know shit until you see actual destruction around you.
They escalated a conflict knowing the result. They can own the outcome. As can Hamas. I have no sympathy for Israel, but I recognise their right to response and to defend themselves to the fullest of their ability. Ditto for Hamas. In war, you do what’s right for your people.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Israel nuking Palestine would be quite something.