Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
New round of rockets launched within the past half hour. Looks like another violent night ahead.

What are those? Those coming in or out of Israel?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I can't explain how surreal it is to sit in your living room, and watch Law & Order with the big door-window open and hear the countless sounds of explosions from rockets landing/being intercepted by Iron Dome.
Stay safe, brother.

Paxi

Those are iron dome shooting down rockets coming from Gaza
Right but what are Hamas using? Is it just rocket propelled grenades? Is there surface to surface missiles, or even javelins or something? Iron dome sounds like they've been preparing for Thanos.

Paxi

Humour me this.. Suppose Hamas are a terrorist group whom provide a very credible threat to State of Israel, so, why does Israel not send the army in, which is one of the best trained armies in the world. They've one of the best intelligence agencies in the world etc. I mean, why level buildings?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Humour me this.. Suppose Hamas are a terrorist group whom provide a very credible threat to State of Israel, so, why does Israel not send the army in, which is one of the best trained armies in the world. They've one of the best intelligence agencies in the world etc. I mean, why level buildings?
Because urban warfare in Gaza is absolutely not in Israel's interest to do so, both from a military and PR perspective.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Collective punishment

owlo

Could be because some oligarchs are Jews (Abramovich). Though he had bad relationships with the likes of Berezovsky and Khodorkovsky.
Unsure. He could just see them as pawns in his geopolitics. I wouldn't attempt to second guess Putin, so for me, it just is what it is. He's a 'very dangerous friend' as one article put it.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It’s quite difficult to execute a successful military ground operation inside a location like Manhattan with a relatively small force.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Apart from everything else, ground invasion risks kidnapping and another Gilad Shalit situation, which would be extremely painful (politically) for whoever made the decision to bear.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Rally in Glasgow tomorrow against the Israeli massacre. The people have more balls than their governments. Protest happening all over the WORLD IN SUPPORT OF THE Palestinians, Israel is losing the PR war, and long may that continue.

Paxi

Because urban warfare in Gaza is absolutely not in Israel's interest to do so, both from a military and PR perspective.
Urban warfare is meat and drink of modern military, especially as sophisticated and as trained as the Israelis.

No, I'm not. I will read through it now, though.

Edit: Will actually read through it tomorrow.

It’s quite difficult to execute a successful military ground operation inside a location like Manhattan with a relatively small force.
I understand that Urban warfare is difficult but if as Israel claim, that a terrorist organisation are terrorising them on their doorstep, then surely one would send in troops. I mean I only to think of Northern Ireland and more palpably Grozny, Chechnya, where it was a massacre. Surely a counter insurgency would be something that's infinitely better? Although, Chechnya is probably a bad example since Russians fought basically hand to hand combat with Chechens but then fecking levelled everything anyway.

Apart from everything else, ground invasion risks kidnapping and another Gilad Shalit situation, which would be extremely painful (politically) for whoever made the decision to bear.

I've never heard of it. I will educate myself. Probably not tonight, mind.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
@Paxi - Gilad Shalit was an IDF soldier who was kidnapped during a ground invasion in Gaza and held for 5 years. He was afforded all the rights of a prisoner according to Islam. He was eventually released in exchange for the release of approx 1,000 Palestinians from jail.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Urban warfare is meat and drink of modern military, especially as sophisticated and as trained as the Israelis.

No, I'm not. I will read through it now, though.

Edit: Will actually read through it tomorrow.

I understand that Urban warfare is difficult but if as Israel claim, that a terrorist organisation are terrorising them on their doorstep, then surely one would send in troops. I mean I only to think of Northern Ireland and more palpably Grozny, Chechnya, where it was a massacre. Surely a counter insurgency would be something that's infinitely better? Although, Chechnya is probably a bad example since Russians fought basically hand to hand combat with Chechens but then fecking levelled everything anyway.

I've never heard of it. I will educate myself. Probably not tonight, mind.
Neither of those locales is similar to what the Gaza environment is. Grozny would be most associative, but you then answered your own question as to why no sane theater commander would commit any significant force into the third most dense polity in the world.

Paxi

@Paxi - Gilad Shalit was an IDF soldier who was kidnapped during a ground invasion in Gaza and held for 5 years. He was afforded all the rights of a prisoner according to Islam. He was eventually released in exchange for the release of approx 1,000 Palestinians from jail.
Right, I need to read more about it. Though, he didn't get decapitated, which seems like Hamas are willing to negotiate and aren't as crazed as IS for example.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Right, I need to read more about it. Though, he didn't get decapitated, which seems like Hamas are willing to negotiate and aren't as crazed as IS for example.
Yea like I said he was given prisoner rights - food, water, shelter, security (from people who would do him harm), medical care.

Paxi

Neither of those locales is similar to what the Gaza environment is. Grozny would be most associative, but you then answered your own question as to why no sane theater commander would commit any significant force into the third most dense polity in the world.
I think Northern Ireland was pretty urban in Derry and Belfast. See round the back of the terraced houses and the IED set everywhere, ambushes etc. I mean urban warfare is urban warfare. In any case, we're talking one of the best militaries in the world here.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Is there difference in prisoner rights between what Islam prescribes v. what other conventions prescribe?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I think Northern Ireland was pretty urban in Derry and Belfast. See round the back of the terraced houses and the IED set everywhere, ambushes etc. I mean urban warfare is urban warfare. In any case, we're talking one of the best militaries in the world here.
Northern Ireland isn’t anything like Gaza or Manhattan or Singapore, for example.

The verticality of these locations alone pose exponentially more threat to a foreign force.

It’s one of the best militaries, but it ain’t one of the biggest militaries.

Paxi

Yea like I said he was given prisoner rights - food, water, shelter, security (from people who would do him harm), medical care.
Well, that seems very reasonable. I mean I haven't heard many case's where POW's are afforded life, let alone medical care. Maybe Ukraine is the last conflict that I heard of that have been afforded that.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Is there difference in prisoner rights between what Islam prescribes v. what other conventions prescribe?
I’m not sure to be honest. I’d assume there are more commonalities than not. The reason I highlighted it because there’s a pervasive narrative that Hamas are only crazed terrorists with no morals. And of course we’re seeing untold destruction in Gaza now ‘because Hamas!’

Paxi

Northern Ireland isn’t anything like Gaza or Manhattan or Singapore, for example.

The verticality of these locations alone pose exponentially more threat to a foreign force.

It’s one of the best militaries, but it ain’t one of the biggest militaries.
I'm not saying it's exactly like for like, but vertically or horizontally, urban warfare would involve the same tactical principals, albeit at a slower pace.

Though, we should note, that Israel has mandatory conscription and I'm pretty sure they're well versed in how to incur into Palestine. Last bit needs to be taking with a bit of salt but I mean I'd be gobsmacked if that wasn't part of the curriculum.

Paxi

Are we not all under Geneva conventions just? I've never heard about specific cultural conventions, at least not in modern history.

Foxbatt

Basically it is actually more. No killing of women and children or non combatants. No harming or torture etc. But does any really follow it? I do not think so. It is like Jesus and turning the other cheek. Christian countries do not follow and neither do Muslim countries.

owlo

Because in terms of impact a ground offensive would be both deadly and devastating compared to air strikes.

Foxbatt

Are we not all under Geneva conventions just? I've never heard about specific cultural conventions, at least not in modern history.
Countries have to obey the Geneva Convention. Groups classified as terrorist normally do not follow it. That said a lot of countries also do not follow it. Bombing wedding parties etc. Or blasting buildings etc.

Paxi

Because in terms of impact a ground offensive would be both deadly and devastating compared to air strikes.
Yeah deadly to Israelis, mate. Wouldn’t be as deadly to children and women that just been bombed into fecking oblivion. If there’s such an existential threat then go in, and surgically remove it. Rather than carpet bomb innocent feckers.