Italian Serie A - 2021-2022

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
Lazio literally have only 3 great players and 2 of them (Luis Alberto and SMS) are on the market as they don't get along with Sarri. Good Job Maurizio!

Milinkovic-Savic is still worth €60-70m imo, he's having a good season despite the problems with Lotito and Sarri but not sure how many clubs are interested to so much for an almost 27 y.o. midfielder from Serie A

KingCavani

Mil
Interesting read about the decline of Milinkovic Savic, from 110 million to the bench

Always risky spending big money on a player, a gamble

https://www.corriere.it/sport/calci...anchina/parabola-discendente_principale.shtml
He hasn't declined as a player at all - Just has issues with the manager and has been looking to move on for a while.

Should have moved Pogba on in 2018 and gone for him. The complete midfielder and his strengths would make him a perfect fit for England. Think he's wasted his career at Lazio tbh.

A-man

It is also tough for the other teams chasing Napoli. Juventus, Roma, and Fiorentina would have found themselves 6 points away from 2 top 4 spots. The prospects would look much better.
I still don’t understand how that could be offside.
Yes as you say it has major impact on the league.

Bole Top

for all the talk about dramatic decline after they sold Ronaldo so late, Juventus seem to be pretty much in same position they were last year - fighting for that top 4 finish again. on 22.12. last year they were in 6th place after they lost heavily to Fiorentina. this year they're in 5th place with 4 points less than the 4th placed team. and since they were going out early from CL anyway, if they manage to beat Villarreal they will actually end up having a better CL campaign than when they had Ronaldo. it's not looking that bad for them atm.

CraftySoAndSo

Just seen Catania have reportedly followed Chievo and entered bankruptcy, sad news as they were in Serie A not too long ago. I know they had troubles resulting in a further relegation to Serie C but hoped they would turn it around.

Reactions: Cheimoon

marktan

for all the talk about dramatic decline after they sold Ronaldo so late, Juventus seem to be pretty much in same position they were last year - fighting for that top 4 finish again. on 22.12. last year they were in 6th place after they lost heavily to Fiorentina. this year they're in 5th place with 4 points less than the 4th placed team. and since they were going out early from CL anyway, if they manage to beat Villarreal they will actually end up having a better CL campaign than when they had Ronaldo. it's not looking that bad for them atm.
I mean Ronaldo himself had declined pretty badly in his last season at a Juve, it was only in his first 2 seasons that he was similar to the Real Madrid version. Then he was badly overplayed because they lost every time he didn't play and his touch dissapeared. That said though they are pretty crap this season with some very poor results. The current too 4 are all as good so it's going to be a fight for top 4. Fiorentina with Vlahovic aren't bad either and then there's Sassoulo who get points from every big team they come across.

CraftySoAndSo

Weird Pioli line up again, Milan in bad form. I smell a potential upset again and Cutrone is obviously going to score as well.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Just seen Catania have reportedly followed Chievo and entered bankruptcy, sad news as they were in Serie A not too long ago. I know they had troubles resulting in a further relegation to Serie C but hoped they would turn it around.
I remember they had the Japanese striker.. forgot his name but he had potential but never lived up to it

CraftySoAndSo

I remember they had the Japanese striker.. forgot his name but he had potential but never lived up to it
Don't know who you're on about so had a look up, is it Morimoto? If it is he left in 2012 which is before i started watching Serie A which would explain it. He last played in Paraguay earlier this year which falls in line with these types of players having weird careers after failing to meet potential.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Don't know who you're on about so had a look up, is it Morimoto? If it is he left in 2012 which is before i started watching Serie A which would explain it. He last played in Paraguay earlier this year which falls in line with these types of players having weird careers after failing to meet potential.
Yup, Pato likened him to R9 :lol:

Looks like he turned into a journeyman striker. Not many games for Japan either

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Weird Pioli line up again, Milan in bad form. I smell a potential upset again and Cutrone is obviously going to score as well.
It's not a weird lineup, they don't have other players available :lol:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Dumfries doing it for Inter now too. Example of someone doing it with 95% will power and work ethic and 5% talent.

Great dude too.

CraftySoAndSo

It's not a weird lineup, they don't have other players available :lol:
Granted the only weird one was playing kessie at 10 when Maldini could have played, although he did score twice. But he does have a fetish for fitting his favorites in the team even if out of position. The comment i made was after i saw a rumor earlier where Krunic was going to play on the left instead of Saelemakers as well as Kessie at 10.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Dumfries doing it for Inter now too. Example of someone doing it with 95% will power and work ethic and 5% talent.

Great dude too.
Do you know how they're playing him? I saw Dumfries being referred to as a midfielder somewhere today, and the Inter line-up I saw was a 3-5-2 with Dumfries on the right of the 5. That could be the same as a wingback, but it could also be more like a winger. Any idea?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Do you know how they're playing him? I saw Dumfries being referred to as a midfielder somewhere today, and the Inter line-up I saw was a 3-5-2 with Dumfries on the right of the 5. That could be the same as a wingback, but it could also be more like a winger. Any idea?
Depends on the game, he's technically supposed to cover the entire flank both ways, but with inter being dominant and attacking a lot most of the time, he's more often a winger than anything. Inzaghi hasn't really changed the way the wingbacks play from Conte tactically, though they cut in a bit less on the far post as inter don't build up and attack as much through the wings

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
No idea, but I'd guess as a wing back in a 5-3-2?

abundance

Supports
Inter
No idea, but I'd guess as a wing back in a 5-3-2?
Inter lines up as a proper 352 - defensive line is 5 men, but in possession outer CBs scale up as fullbacks and wingbacks act as wingers (Dumfries especially, very advanced hugging the line and cutting inside diagonally, Perisic running more straight for depth to make room for Bastoni in the half spaces)

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I know couple of others have already addressed this, but yeah he plays as wingback and he is very aggressive. Even in 4 at the back system, he used to break offside traps for Netherlands isn't it, in wingback system that works so well. Yesterday he was caught offside, making run like wide forward and he ended up moving to Left wing forward position.

Usually Wingbacks are wingers in possession, that's how he is playing. Looks like he is naturally attack minded so he takes it to different level.

JSVeron

Supports
FC Internazionale Milano
Table at 21 November
Napoli 32
Milan 32
Inter 25

Table at 22 December
Inter 46
Milan 42
Napoli 39

Next game: Bologna-Inter; Milan-Roma; Juventus-Napoli

Merry Christmas, INTER fans!!!

CraftySoAndSo

Yup, Pato likened him to R9 :lol:

Looks like he turned into a journeyman striker. Not many games for Japan either
Quite interesting reading about him, made his debut in the J-League at 15 and scored his first goal not long after. Moved to Catania but did his cruciate which probably hindered him quite a bit.
His story reminds me a lot of Freddy Adu where you make your debut so young and get so hyped that nothing comes of it. I know there's plenty of examples in Brazil, England, France etc, of massive talents flopping for various reasons (injury and mentality mainly). But whenever i read about people like Adu and this guy a part of me is a bit skeptical of their actual potential. I feel in Adu's and Morimoto's case they come from countries that are so desperate for a superstar to help grow the game in their country they latch on to any good talent and hype them up hoping they have their own Messi. And 20 years ago their league is "weak" enough they can throw these kids in and maybe not look out of place which just further fuels the hype.
But as i said Morimoto did his cruciate so maybe he was a "wonderkid" and just had bad luck.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I know couple of others have already addressed this, but yeah he plays as wingback and he is very aggressive. Even in 4 at the back system, he used to break offside traps for Netherlands isn't it, in wingback system that works so well. Yesterday he was caught offside, making run like wide forward and he ended up moving to Left wing forward position.

Usually Wingbacks are wingers in possession, that's how he is playing. Looks like he is naturally attack minded so he takes it to different level.
Thanks!

It's nice to see him do well. It was an open question really; his motivation and work rate were never in doubt, but a lot of people thought he wouldn't be able to make an impact consistently at a higher level. It's still early for him at Inter of course, but it seems to be looking good for now.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Table at 21 November
Napoli 32
Milan 32
Inter 25

Table at 22 December
Inter 46
Milan 42
Napoli 39

Next game: Bologna-Inter; Milan-Roma; Juventus-Napoli

Merry Christmas, INTER fans!!!
Inter-Lazio
Atalanta-Inter
Inter-Venezia
Inter-Milan
Napoli-Inter

Happy new year INTER fans!!!

JSVeron

Supports
FC Internazionale Milano
Inter-Lazio
Atalanta-Inter
Inter-Venezia
Inter-Milan
Napoli-Inter

Happy new year INTER fans!!!
First six weeks in 2022 are hard to play for all the top teams. Milan schedules is quite similar.

OmarUnited4ever

Great read, long article but this is the key part.

Inter were already an attacking team under Conte but the approach tended to be based around a low block and meticulously choreographed build-up patterns that would release Lukaku and Lautaro on the transition. It was lethal and as Inter recently entered the record books as the first Italian team to score more than 100 goals in a calendar year since 1950, it’s only right to recognise that six of those 12 months came under Conte.

Inzaghi has achieved what eluded him though in the early stages of last season when Inter could not find balance with Eriksen as a No 10, wingers as wing-backs and a full-back at centre-back. Conte pared things back against Sassuolo at the end of November and all of a sudden, a team with more equilibrium began to accelerate. Now Inter play higher and are sustaining possession far longer in their opponents’ half. The opposition’s average passes allowed per defensive action has fallen, suggesting a more aggressive press from Inter, and Marcelo Brozovic is controlling games in an even more pronounced way. Not since Andrea Pirlo has a player in Serie A assumed such authority in possession in Serie A, with Inter often scoring goals after slick passing patterns.

Rather than concentrate the team’s attack on the link-up play between the strikers, Inter now feel much more multi-faceted and unpredictable.
Basically Inzaghi continued Conte's work in terms of tactics and plays a 352 formation, but made some adjustments, the club made good business in replacing Lukaku (Dzeko & Correa), Eriksen (Calhanoglu) and Hakimi (Dumfries).

PoTMS

Could Inter possibly give Liverpool a game in the knockouts of the UCL, unlike the feeble attempts by their neighbours?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Basically Inzaghi continued Conte's work in terms of tactics and plays a 352 formation, but made some adjustments, the club made good business in replacing Lukaku (Dzeko & Correa), Eriksen (Calhanoglu) and Hakimi (Dumfries).
Inzaghi played 3-5-2 or 3 at the back at Lazio, so it was good fit.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
Could Inter possibly give Liverpool a game in the knockouts of the UCL, unlike the feeble attempts by their neighbours?
Doubt. All the strong italian teams are far for Liverpool/M.City level and one of their best player Barella will most likely miss both games (due to straight red card vs Real Madrid). His backup player is Arturo Vidal who look finished at the top level.

Anyway don't think we did bad at Anfield, 3-2 away would be very decent result over 2 legs. We were shit at San Siro for sure but tbf we've been mediocre in the last month or so unlike Inter

Last edited:

432JuanMata

Ronaldo fault
It’s obviously his fault. He was top scorer for the whole 2021 year at Juve yet left in August. Juve where declining already and giving the likes of Ramsay 30000€ a week symbols that. But let’s blame Ronaldo