It's in our hands (or not?)

Is it possible for us to finish top four without needing Leicester to drop points prior to final day

• Yes

Votes: 133 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 49 26.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Let's talk more about hands, and what's in hands, and what should happen once it's in hands, and who's volunteering to donate hands and what goes in hands

SirAnderson

Thought to start a new thread to avoid derailing the others on the top 4 race (and for my own amusement since the argument will likely be mute come the weekend).

In my view yes it is technically now in our hands to finish in the top 4 after the results last night and I shall tell you for why.

My claim: From now on I am assuming our optimal performance between now and the end of the season e.g. winning every game by the margin that suits us: it is not consequently possible for 2 of Leicester, Chelsea, Wolves to finish above us.*

Step 1: Given we are level with Wolves and 2 points behind Chelsea and given they play each other on the last day of the season it is impossible for both to finish above us. Either Wolves win all their remaining games to stay level with us and potentially be ahead on GD at which point we finish above Chelsea, or Wolves do not win against Chelsea in which case we finish above Wolves.

Step 2: So the question boils down to is it in our hands to finish above Leicester and yes, technically it is. Even assuming they win every game before losing to us we would finish level on points.*

*Goal difference: No matter how "unlikely" or "improbable" the situation may be, because we play Leicester in the last game the potential goal difference decider is now directly influenced by us (in our hands). Even if there GD is +10 on ours we can still win 6-0, if it's +12 on ours we can still win 7-0 etc.

I think where some people are confused is that yes it is also in Leicester's hands if they win all their games, just as it is in Chelsea's. It is not however in say Arsenal's hands, they could win every game between now and the end of the season 100-0 and still not finish in the top 4. For something to be "in our hands" does not actually mean it cannot be in someone else's in this sense of the words. That's the whole point of fair competition, on the first day of the season the league title is in everyone's hands until it's not.

Change my mind.
You can't change the meaning of an idiom to suit your definition, it already has one.
Here is the definition of the idiom "in your hands":
"Under one's control or influence; in one's possession. You're the boss now. The decision is in your hands." "If something is in your hands, it is in your possession or under your control."

That is not the case with Leicester City having 3 points more than us, even if we play them. Its not about how it pans out, its about NOW, this very moment, as per the definition, it is not, regardless of how you think it will play out till the last game.

Last edited:

cyberman

It doesn't have to be easy to be in our hands.
If both sides win then we know exactly the score we need to qualify. Thats literally in our hands
Its in Lask hands to beat us by 6.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
If it’s in our hands then what has god got?

Because I was reliably informed that he in fact had the whole world in his hands including top 4?

Redfrog

It's in our hands. If we keep scoring, to make up 9 goals in 6 games is not a big gap if you think the goal difference against Leicester count double. If we win 1-0 we need to score 7 more then them.
Anyway, they buy a win.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I believe the line I’m referencing is:

“He’s got a 9 goal swing,
In his hands,
He’s got back to back wins,
In his hands,
He’s got Fernandes and Paul,
In his hands,
He’s got top 4 in his hands”

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
The mere fact we require Leicester to do something in order for us to overcome them, thus makes the statement "in our hands" as per the definition, incorrect.
I wanted to stay away from this thread, just like you :lol:

But if we say it is in our hands, it means that it's in our hands to win more games than Leicester and score more goals to give our better goal difference.
It's in our hands!!

diarm

We don't require Leicester to do anything.

If we win our next 5 games we will start the final game of the season, against Leicester, knowing by exactly how many goals, if any, we need to win by in order to finish above them in the table.

It's as simple as that. You can talk about about what's realistic or what Leicester might score until we're blue in the face but if we take care of our business between now and the last day, we will start a game of football, with a target scoreline that will leave us above them.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Although it does require Leicester to score at a lesser rate than us so is it in our hands?

SirAnderson

We don't require Leicester to do anything.

If we win our next 5 games we will start the final game of the season, against Leicester, knowing by exactly how many goals, if any, we need to win by in order to finish above them in the table.

It's as simple as that. You can talk about about what's realistic or what Leicester might score until we're blue in the face but if we take care of our business between now and the last day, we will start a game of football, with a target scoreline that will leave us above them.
But you doing exactly that by saying what we will do in our next 5 games...?
The point is at this very moment.
As we can win our next 5 games, so can Leicester.
We want to win by 5 goals each game.
They want to win by 5 goals each game. If they want all they need to do is match or better our 5 games, just like we are trying to better their last 5 games.
So in that sense, we definitely DO require Leicester to not better us...cause if the do better us, then we lose out on top 4. How is that so hard to understand...

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
In all seriousness it’s not in our hands.

It was never in our hands. It was in the friends we made along the way.

Riz

You can't change the meaning of an idiom to suit your definition, it already has one.
Under one's control or influence; in one's possession. You're the boss now. The decision is in your hands.
If something is in your hands, it is in your possession or under your control.
That is not the case with Leicester City having 3 points more than us, even if we play them. Its not about how it pans out, its about NOW, this very moment, as per the definition, it is not, regardless of how you think it will play out till the last game.
No idea what the majority of your post means to be honest.

It is now in our control as I explained, if we win all our games and we score the goals to erode any GD on the final day then there is 100% chance we finish in the top 4.

Whether we do what we have to do is irrelevant to the argument. The fact is that us finishing in the top 4 can now be decided by our direct actions regardless of what others do in games that we can’t influence. Therefore it is in our hands.

SirAnderson

I wanted to stay away from this thread, just like you :lol:

But if we say it is in our hands, it means that it's in our hands to win more games than Leicester and score more goals to give our better goal difference.
It's in our hands!!
Yes, I 100% agree, but that is the ONLY thing in our hands, what we don't have the ability to control is Leicester bettering our results....as much as we would like to do better than them, if we play first and they play second, they can do better than us...
But again, the definition is in the strictest sense of the word, at this very moment. The advantage is with the team that has the most points and better GD, how can it be with the team that has lower points and lower GD, it just doesn't make sense that way. All we have control over is winning our games and scoring loads, but if Leicester does the same, its theirs to lose.

gajender

Underlying point is definition of "in our hands":
The mere fact we require Leicester to do something in order for us to overcome them, thus makes the statement "in our hands" as per the definition, incorrect. Up until the point we do not need to rely on anyone other than ourselves to get 3rd of 4th, it is not in our hands.

On that note, I will go and sanitize mine from this thread.
No it doesn't

SirAnderson

No idea what the majority of your post means to be honest.

It is now in our control as I explained, if we win all our games and we score the goals to erode any GD difference on the final day then there is 100% chance we finish in the top 4.

Whether we do what we have to do is irrelevant to the argument. The fact is it that us finishing in the top 4 can now be decided by our direct actions regardless of what others do in games that we can’t influence. Therefore it is in our hands.
How don't you? I'm literally giving you the definition from google on "in our hands" in that post? :lol:

The fact that we have no control over what Leicester can do, and with them having the advantage over us, puts it in their court. Another way of saying "in our hands" is its "theirs to lose". Since they have the point advantage and GD advantage, its in their hands, but if they lose or don't score as much as us, the advantage is not longer in their hands....
Not sure how I can put it any simpler.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Underlying point is definition of "in our hands":
The mere fact we require Leicester to do something in order for us to overcome them, thus makes the statement "in our hands" as per the definition, incorrect. Up until the point we do not need to rely on anyone other than ourselves to get 3rd of 4th, it is not in our hands.

On that note, I will go and sanitize mine from this thread.
You’ll be back... :lol:

Riz

How don't you? I'm literally giving you the definition from google on "in our hands" in that post? :lol:

The fact that we have no control over what Leicester can do, and with them having the advantage over us, puts it in their court. Another way of saying "in our hands" is its "theirs to lose". Since they have the point advantage and GD advantage, its in their hands, but if they lose or don't score as much as us, the advantage is not longer in their hands....
Not sure how I can put it any simpler.
I’m sure as lost with my view as I am with yours but here goes...

Yes we have no control what Leicester can do for the next 5 games.

We do have control over what Leicester do in the last game as we are playing them. That’s the part you’re missing.

So if we do what we have to do, win all our games and best Leicester by a sufficient goal margin then there is nothing they can do! We will finish above them.

If they draw/win the game against us or limit the goal difference to their favour in the final match then we will have failed in an event that was in our control as we were playing against them.

I can’t explain it any further, our actions will ultimately decide whether we place in the top 4 regardless of what Leicester do.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Yes, I 100% agree, but that is the ONLY thing in our hands, what we don't have the ability to control is Leicester bettering our results....as much as we would like to do better than them, if we play first and they play second, they can do better than us...
They can but it is in our hands to do better than them :lol:
That's the premise, isn't it?

SirAnderson

I’m sure as lost with my view as I am with yours but here goes...

Yes we have no control what Leicester can do for the next 5 games.

We do have control over what Leicester do in the last game as we play are playing them. That’s the part your missing.

So if we do what we have to do, win all our games and best Leicester by a sufficient goal margin then there is nothing they can do! We will finish above them.

If they draw/win the game against us or limit the goal difference to their favour in the final match then we will have failed in an event that was in our control as we were playing against them.

I can’t explain it any further, our actions will ultimately decide whether we place in the top 4 regardless of what Leicester do.
And therein lies what you missing. You basing the final days game on something that you have no control over.
You can't just assume we will win all our games and best Leicester by a sufficient goal margin. As they can keep up with our GD or better it during the 5 game, hence why it is not in our hands entirely. If we get to the last game and they have IMPROVED on the GD and it is 12, sure its not impossible for us to be them by 6 or 7 (Edited correctly) @Tarrou , but surely that is not considered realistic at all...

Last edited:

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
This thread makes me question why I am even alive any more.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
That’s the song I was referring to earlier.

Pretty sure there‘s a line:

“He’s got superior XG,
In his hands,
Better than Leicester City,
In his hands,
We’ll end up in position 3,
In his hands
We’ve got the top 4 in our hands”

SirAnderson

They can but it is in our hands to do better than them :lol:
That's the premise, isn't it?
Look, in the long right, yes it can change. But we talking about right now, this very minute, who has the advantage of points? Of GD? Them. We can hope to do better in points and GD, but they can influence that by winning their games and having a better GD than us, no matter how much we too want to try to do better than them....
Man, this is tough :lol:

Tarrou

And therein lies what you missing. You basing the final days game on something that you have no control over.
You can't just assume we will win all our games and best Leicester by a sufficient goal margin. As they can keep up with our GD or better it during the 5 game, hence why it is not in our hands entirely. If we get to the last game and they have IMPROVED on the GD and it is 12, sure its not impossible for us to be them by 13, but surely that is not considered realistic at all...
if it's 12 we'd need to beat them by 6 to tie, 7 to go above

but surely it's in our hands to get a better GD than Leicester between now and then?

SirAnderson

if it's 12 we'd need to beat them by 6 to tie, 7 to go above

but surely it's in our hands to get a better GD than Leicester between now and then?
And its in their hands to make sure we don't? Isn't it. That's my entire point.
In the long run, we have to do better than them, but right now, at this very moment, its still their lead, their advantage. When we start bettering their results and chipping away at the GD, it will favor us and be in our hands.

Its like in an actually match...when Team A is winning 2 nil, do we say its in Team B's hand? Technically yes, cause they have to try and win Team A, but at that moment, its more in Team A's hands, cause they have their advantage, all they have to do is see the game to the end or not let Team B score.

So I think it was @Samid that said, it is in all over our hands, us, Wolves, Chelsea, Leicester, but the advantage and the idiom "in our hands" belongs more in Leicester favor than anyone else.
That's my point.

Berbasbullet

I already am :( Why? Why can't it get through? :lol:
I honestly don’t understand how you can explain it any clearer? I’ll give it a go.

So it’s important to ascertain what “in your hands” means. Google defines it as “in ones control or influence; in ones possession. You’re the boss now the decision is in your hands.” so safe to say it means that it is something in you are in complete control of. Do we all understand this? When it’s in your hands it means it is something that you can influence and no one else no matter what they do can change it.

So let’s examine the teams one by one.

Chelsea they win 6/6 they’re in, therefore in their hands.

Leicester win 6/6 they’re in, therefore in their hands.

United win 6/6, need to out score Leicester, they cannot control how many goals Leicester score therefore it isn’t in their hands as such, as Leicester could win the rest of their games 5-0 in theory (I understand why people are saying well they would know in the last game so they would just need to score x, except x could be an unrealistic score line that isn’t achievable).

Wolves win 6/6, nope would need to out score united and Leicester, same reasons as above.

When you have to rely on another team to do something you’re no longer in control of your own destiny, and before anyone says “yeah but this team plays x, y, and z and they’re harder” that isn’t the point! It’s the fact that it’s up to them to win and it’s... in their hands.

No matter how you spin it, United HAVE to do better than Chelsea and/or Leicester, and united CANNOT control their performances up until they play leicester.

Crustanoid

Fahct 1: this assumes we win every game even though there’s another team trying to do the same in every game.

Fahct 2: Remember the run in last season?

Fahct 3: Predictions (especially in threads like this) we normally get things wrong

Riz

You can't just assume we will win all our games and best Leicester by a sufficient goal margin. As they can keep up with our GD or better it during the 5 game, hence why it is not in our hands entirely. If we get to the last game and they have IMPROVED on the GD and it is 12, sure its not impossible for us to be them by 13, but surely that is not considered realistic at all...
You've imploded you're own argument right there at end. It doesn't matter how unlikely or improbable or unrealistic it is, we still have control. If by the final game their GD is 20 better than ours we can still win 11-0 no matter how unlikely and finish above them.

Put it this way, if I let you draft the results for all non-United matches and I then get to draft the result for all United matches there is no possible set of results you can draft that will prevent United from finishing in the top 4.

SirAnderson

I honestly don’t understand how you can explain it any clearer? I’ll give it a go.

So it’s important to ascertain what “in your hands” means. Google defines it as “in ones control or influence; in ones possession. You’re the boss now the decision is in your hands.” so safe to say it means that it is something in you are in complete control of. Do we all understand this? When it’s in your hands it means it is something that you can influence and no one else no matter what they do can change it.

So let’s examine the teams one by one.

Chelsea they win 6/6 they’re in, therefore in their hands.

Leicester win 6/6 they’re in, therefore in their hands.

United win 6/6, need to out score Leicester, they cannot control how many goals Leicester score therefore it isn’t in their hands as such, as Leicester could win the rest of their games 5-0 in theory (I understand why people are saying well they would know in the last game so they would just need to score x, except x could be an unrealistic score line that isn’t achievable).

Wolves win 6/6, nope would need to out score united and Leicester, same reasons as above.

When you have to rely on another team to do something you’re no longer in control of your own destiny, and before anyone says “yeah but this team plays x, y, and z and they’re harder” that isn’t the point! It’s the fact that it’s up to them to win and it’s... in their hands.

No matter how you spin it, United HAVE to do better than Chelsea and/or Leicester, and united CANNOT control their performances up until they play leicester.
This, this this.

They have less to do. It's more in their hands than it is in ours. They just need to win all their games.
You couldn't have put it clearer. But I fear there will still be someone that disagrees.

gajender

You've imploded you're own argument right there at end. It doesn't matter how unlikely or improbable or unrealistic it is, we still have control. If by the final game their GD is 20 better than ours we can still win 11-0 no matter how unlikely and finish above them.

Put it this way, if I let you draft the results for all non-United matches and I then get to draft the result for all United matches there is no possible set of results you can draft that will prevent United from finishing in the top 4.
Give over man he just doesn't want to understand .

Berbasbullet

So in your opinion if we needed to win 11-0 the game would be in uniteds hands?

Also the second point is untrue and we can trial it if you like? Go on draft uniteds last 6 results for me....

SirAnderson

No I have not. @Berbasbullet just made it more clearer than I did even.
I just said that to compromise and meet you half way. It is still in Leicester's hands to win against us. We need to win AND still out do them. They just need to win, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.