Ivan Perisic

Status
Not open for further replies.

sokol11

Solid performer. You know what you will get from him. Same as with Valencia. Would be the first Croatian in United. Preparing the stage for Modrič arrival on transfer deadline day. :drool:

Jacob

Asked my Inter supporting friend - 'really good and complete'

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Mourinho knows what route of style he wants to go down next season.

If Perisic suits this then so be it. He's a genuine winger that's very direct who tracks back consistently.

LR7

Mourinho knows what route of style he wants to go down next season.

If Perisic suits this then so be it. He's a genuine winger that's very direct who tracks back consistently.
That's my view. No point getting someone who won't fit the way Mourinho wants to play, and no point getting someone similar to players we already have.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I think he's exactly the kind of player we need. Adds pace, directness, and plainly offers more width than any of our wide men. The price is another issue, but I would be happy if we do sign him.

onemanarmy

Really liked him during his time in Brugge. Pretty complete player, fast, technical and scores goals. Wouldn't mind him here. Definitely an upgrade on Lingard out wide.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
He didn't really stand out at Dortmund and Wolfsburg, accordingly his stints at both clubs ended way prematurely.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Inter is my team in Italy. Trust me, this guy will explode in the premier league.

http://www.calciomercato.com/en/news/it-s-done-manchester-united-land-40m-croatian-midfielder-48802

Some reports are saying the deal is sealed. 40 million.

I would have preferred something in the range of 30-35 million because of his age.

But football has gone mad and if 40 million excludes any ad ons whatsoever, then fine.
Sunsport writes that the Red Devils have agreed a deal with Inter Milan of £40M for the 28-year-old with the player himself set to earn £100,000-a-week in wages
So you can ignore this.

GM K

Not for nothing, but Martial is NOT a maybe player, he's a developing player. I honestly can't believe the criticism he's got this season; fans seem to expect young players to be instantly and consistently good, but the fact is dips are natural at that age, they're still learning their trade and developing their game. Think about how raw Ronaldo was at Martial's age.

By the way, not saying we shouldn't sign Perisic for that reason (he offers some things that are different to Martial) just that we shouldn't lose faith in him after one difficult season. His circumstance and Shaw's are very, very different, and even the latter could still come good.

Martial and Rashford are the reasons why we shouldn't prioritize very young, deadly attackers unless we want to get rid of them. I prefer we sign those at their peaks for two reasons: they can inspire/challenge the young talents we have and secondly, you know they won't be around forever. If Martial is as good as many people believe he is, now is the time for him to step up.

Dong Fangzhuo

Inter is my team in Italy. Trust me, this guy will explode in the premier league.

http://www.calciomercato.com/en/news/it-s-done-manchester-united-land-40m-croatian-midfielder-48802

Some reports are saying the deal is sealed. 40 million.

I would have preferred something in the range of 30-35 million because of his age.

But football has gone mad and if 40 million excludes any ad ons whatsoever, then fine.
That's a notoriously BS source quoting another notoriously BS source though. Not going to worry just yet :)

MUFC OK

Very underwhelming in my opinion, my concerns being - he's not young I.e. Doesn't have much scope for improvement, it's a blow for martial who I want to see kick on after last season, his numbers haven't been exceptional in any team and I don't think any of the top 4-6 clubs in the world would want him. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I saw him in the last championships and thought he looked good. I don't think we should worry what he did at other clubs. Sometimes it takes the right move or the right manager or the right environment to elevate a player. From what I saw, I'm hoping that he will be an important player for us in the final third should we confirm the deal. His age is of no concern. Just like Fellaini, these are options we're buying. Good options at that. You would expect us to buy one or two real key players but I think Perisic has the ability to improve our width for sure.

That is what it comes down too. Can he deliver a good ball in the final third? From what i've seen, he's not shy at shooting so it don't matter what people think. We need productive players and that won't always get you off the edge of your seat, but if he settles he could be very good - and if he helps us win a trophy or two? Then it all pays for itself. The reality is we won't buy one player but we have talent coming through remember.

MUFC OK

Imagine if inter bent us over and took martial in exchange, I'd be furious.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I'd never heard of him prior to this thread. If United do buy I hope he doesn't need a season to acclimatise. I would think players at his age would be running down contracts and come on a free transfer with the club just having to pay a high salary for the privilege. The fee being touted seems highly excessive for a player who will not have a sell on value.

Would Arsenal not do a deal for Sanchez around that figure? He also plays in a similar role.

ti vu

I'd never heard of him or can't recall ever watching him prior to this thread. If United do buy I hope he doesn't need a season to acclimatise. I would think players at his age would be running down contracts and come on a free transfer with the club just having to pay a high salary for the privilege. The fee being touted seems highly excessive for a player who will not have a sell on value.

Would Arsenal not do a deal for Sanchez around that figure? He also plays in a similar role.
Hypothetically, Sanchez may mark the end of Martial. Can potential step in Griezmann's influential zone in the team,too. Not offer enough that teamwork to release Pogba more... Sanchez has option overseas which Arsenal can choose to push him to. Sanchez doesn't fancy Manchester...

Thing is the fee is only rumor. We're not that desperate in case you take notice that we're also posturing with other winger options. Inter is in tighter spot. They need to use money to attract players having no European football to offer, while FFP over their head. They need to sell to reinvest. There would still be of time for us as the window just started & we're in strong position.

Last edited:

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Imagine if inter bent us over and took martial in exchange, I'd be furious.
Imagine if you come home early one day to surprise your Mrs and she was in bed with your best friend from high school. You've been through thick and thin with this lad and helped him as his own Mum passed away and then he himself got cheated on. Imagine just standing there not knowing whether to punch his face in or just cry. The girl you were going to marry and she's betrayed you like that. How long has it been going on? Who else knows. What are you going to say to your parents?

If we are making up hypothetical random scenarios, I'd be more furious at my idea.

Richrip

Maybe with this and the griezman speculation Jose is looking for a hard working winger to allow Pogba to flourish in a midfield 3. (The general conseseus is Pogba is best in a 3)
Most people also agree that Griezman and Pogba are suited to different systems.

Griezman is a second striker Pogba is best in a 3. So if we sign Griezman then either he plays wide or Pogba plays deep basically one of them doesn't fit. So perhaps this guy signs and works hard up and down the left (as Valencia does on the right) this allowing us to have 3 in midfield and still 2 up top which hopefully gets the best out of Pogba and Griezman if he signs of course!!

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
He's not flavour of the month so gets criticised a lot by people who have not or have seen very little of him.
Myself included to an extent. Not the player I was expecting us to go for if true, but from what little youtube I've seen of him over the past day or so, he doesn't actually look that bad.

I think people put age and price together and instantly say he isn't good enough. If it's who Jose feels will suit our system, then I trust him to be the player we need.

ti vu

Maybe with this and the griezman speculation Jose is looking for a hard working winger to allow Pogba to flourish in a midfield 3. (The general conseseus is Pogba is best in a 3)
Most people also agree that Griezman and Pogba are suited to different systems.

Griezman is a second striker Pogba is best in a 3. So if we sign Griezman then either he plays wide or Pogba plays deep basically one of them doesn't fit. So perhaps this guy signs and works hard up and down the left (as Valencia does on the right) this allowing us to have 3 in midfield and still 2 up top which hopefully gets the best out of Pogba and Griezman if he signs of course!!
Pogba has shown that he can do well in box to box role. Having a winger who can carry the ball well from deep & stretch play, it lessen the burden on Pogba who had to do a lot of ball carrying thus ended up in deeper position. Perisic is quite strong defensively for a winger too. Again that helped lessening burden on Pogba.

Griezmann may be given a roaming role & ended up on the wide position from time to time, but I don't think he would strictly be required to hold the position on the wing. Griezmann role would be a mix of Sneijder & Eto'o in Mourinho's last year in Inter.

The Red Thinker

Perisic reminds of the Ashley Young buy. Known quantity. Nothing over the top outstanding, but a solid performer. I cringe at the 40m because you never know how he'll play in the Prem unlike Ashley who was a proven commodity in the league. An able stand in at left wing is Perisic. Don't expect greatness. I work at a sports channel, I've seen him play as it's my job to do so, and I know he has quality. 20-25m worth of hard work and bursts of great creativity.

Janson

Really surprising that the caf would be in meltdown when rumours of "old" players emerge. I actually got the idea he was over thirty, the way people are talking about him. Just found out now he's 28. Should be in his prime, pretty much.

Noc-Z

ffs
He looks a great player! I'd be happy with him looks pacy, dynamic and direct. However, I don't believe he is worth the fee being quoted. I'd also have preferred if he was slightly younger. But surely we can get at least 2-3 good years out of him. And some experience added to this squad is no bad thing. Overall weighing up the pros and cons I'd say this could be a great transfer. I'd just prefer to pay a more appropriate fee but that's for the money men. Footballing wise if he hits the ground running (which at his age he absolutely must) he can be awesome for us.

MrSingh2002

The problem this year with all of our forwards besides Zlatan was end product.

Perisic doesn't improve us in that department. Rather we do a deal where Chelsea get Perisic and we take Willian who Conte clearly doesn't fancy all that much.

settembrini

Been on squawka to see how his stats compare to our current wingers. All our per 90 minutes.

GOALS
Perisic 0.36
Mata 0.33
Mkhitaryan 0.27
Martial 0.23
Lingard 0.07 (Awful)

He scored the most.

SHOTS
Perisic 3.40
Lingard 2.44
Martial 2.43
Mata 2.17
Mkhitaryan 2.14

But only because he's taken more shots than our players.

SHOT ACCURACY
Mata 66%
Mkhitaryan 62%
Martial 56%
Lingard 52%
Perisic 49%

His shot accuracy has been worse than all our current wingers. Which is shocking considering our finishing.

CHANCES CREATED
Mata 2.45
Perisic 2.00
Lingard 1.91
Mkhitaryan 1.87
Martial 1.39

He has decent chance creation.

PASS COMPLETION
Mata 89%
Lingard 88%
Mkhitaryan 84%
Martial 82%
Perisic 71%

But he loses the ball a lot more than our current options. Mata's creation + possession is fantastic and Lingard/Mkhitaryan are decent. Martial's is poor though.

SUCCESSFUL TAKE-ONS
Martial 2.61
Mkhitaryan 2.00
Perisic 1.34
Lingard 1.32
Mata 0.84

Underwhelming considering his supposed pace. Martial being clearly the best and Mata clearly the worst is not exactly a surprise.

TACKLES WON
Perisic 1.21
Mkhitaryan 1.14
Lingard 0.99
Mata 0.89
Martial 0.87

HEADERS WON
Perisic 1.80
Martial 1.27
Mkhitaryan 0.60
Lingard 0.26
Mata 0.22

INTERCEPTIONS
Mkhitaryan 1.47
Perisic 1.15
Lingard 0.92
Mata 0.67
Martial 0.46

He has excellent defensive stats. 1st in tackles, 1st in headers, 2nd in interceptions. If there is a reason why Mourinho would want him it has to be this. Note that Mkhitaryan (his other winger signing) also has good numbers while Mata (who he sold at Chelsea) does very poorly and Martial (who has regressed under him) is terrible apart from headers.

Litch

For me some of our players technical ability is way behind so many teams. Whilst we don't need fairy dust everywhere, we need players that can actually pass to a red shirt. We need a few 7/10 solid consistently good performers. It's a Jose signing and the kind we've seen in many of his teams....

Skills

Snitch
Been on squawka to see how his stats compare to our current wingers. All our per 90 minutes.

GOALS
Perisic 0.36
Mata 0.33
Mkhitaryan 0.27
Martial 0.23
Lingard 0.07 (Awful)

He scored the most.

SHOTS
Perisic 3.40
Lingard 2.44
Martial 2.43
Mata 2.17
Mkhitaryan 2.14

But only because he's taken more shots than our players.

SHOT ACCURACY
Mata 66%
Mkhitaryan 62%
Martial 56%
Lingard 52%
Perisic 49%

His shot accuracy has been worse than all our current wingers. Which is shocking considering our finishing.

CHANCES CREATED
Mata 2.45
Perisic 2.00
Lingard 1.91
Mkhitaryan 1.87
Martial 1.39

He has decent chance creation.

PASS COMPLETION
Mata 89%
Lingard 88%
Mkhitaryan 84%
Martial 82%
Perisic 71%

But he loses the ball a lot more than our current options. Mata's creation + possession is fantastic and Lingard/Mkhitaryan are decent. Martial's is poor though.

SUCCESSFUL TAKE-ONS
Martial 2.61
Mkhitaryan 2.00
Perisic 1.34
Lingard 1.32
Mata 0.84

Underwhelming considering his supposed pace. Martial being clearly the best and Mata clearly the worst is not exactly a surprise.

TACKLES WON
Perisic 1.21
Mkhitaryan 1.14
Lingard 0.99
Mata 0.89
Martial 0.87

HEADERS WON
Perisic 1.80
Martial 1.27
Mkhitaryan 0.60
Lingard 0.26
Mata 0.22

INTERCEPTIONS
Mkhitaryan 1.47
Perisic 1.15
Lingard 0.92
Mata 0.67
Martial 0.46

He has excellent defensive stats. 1st in tackles, 1st in headers, 2nd in interceptions. If there is a reason why Mourinho would want him it has to be this. Note that Mkhitaryan (his other winger signing) also has good numbers while Mata (who he sold at Chelsea) does very poorly and Martial (who has regressed under him) is terrible apart from headers.
Feels like we're going to be seeing the 6 at the back a lot more often next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.