Ivan Toney | Banned until 16th January 2024 Stay on Topic!

Ted Lasso

That would be one heck of a January signing. What are the chances Brentford give him up then? Can't imagine them doing so unless they get a hefty sum and it is agreed early so they can bring in a potential replacement.

Jev

That would be one heck of a January signing. What are the chances Brentford give him up then? Can't imagine them doing so unless they get a hefty sum and it is agreed early so they can bring in a potential replacement.
Brentford are a selling club. Their entire business model is based around selling players at peak value and buying undervalued players. He won't come cheap, obviously, but they'll be reasonable.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I liked his words about Martinez after the game, when everybody was slating Martinez. Thought it was good if him to almost defend a fellow footballer, even if he was playing for the opposition.

I agree with the rest though, looks a good player to be. Him, Osimhen or Nkunku depending on what we want.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Some of his passes reminds me of the stuff Kane pulls through from deep mixed in with Drogba.

Last edited:

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Would Utd have the budget for a £40M-£50M signing in January after spending so much in the summer?

Bebestation

Would Utd have the budget for a £40M-£50M signing in January after spending so much in the summer?
That’s kind of the price for an average player like Van De Beek for us - so I don’t see it as an issue.

Ted Lasso

Brentford are a selling club. Their entire business model is based around selling players at peak value and buying undervalued players. He won't come cheap, obviously, but they'll be reasonable.
I'm sure they will sell but I just imagine that the off season is when they would have preferred. What do you think the risk is of them dropping out the league simply for losing Toney?

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Nah, Osimhen has much higher potential. If one of them is going to turn out to be a legitimately elite striker it's him. Unfortunately he comes with a price-tag to match. But it moreso depends on what we want our CF's role to be, really.

If we want our CF to be a mobile target man with good hold up play, good link up play and the ability to get on the ball and bring others into the game well then someone like Toney fits. But at the cost of substantially less direct goal threat.

If we want our CF to be a fast, physical, hard-working goal-threat who acts as a focal point for others to create for then someone like Osimhen fits. But you can't expect him to be dropping deep and bringing others into play.

As much as the quality of the player, it's about what fits the team best. Personally I think with the likes of Antony, Sancho, Eriksen and Bruno in the side our team in particular is missing that central, defence-harrying goalscorer they can create for more than a Toney-style player who would be better at bringing them into play. But opinions may differ and in reality they'd both improve us quite a lot.
Good post.
Personally The only reason I'd lean towards Toney at this stage of our development is he would score loads. Whilst bringing out more for those around him. And would be ready now.

But long term, there is no doubt Osimhen is going to be a top 5 elite striker in this generation. Plus he is a genuine goal machine. Plus in the hands of an ETH, he can become as well rounded a forward as an Andy Cole became under Fergie.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
That’s kind of the price for an average player like Van De Beek for us - so I don’t see it as an issue.
It wasn't the price in isolation, it was spending that amount after a £215M spend in the summer, which by all accounts was more than they wanted to spend initially. Fair do's if they do, that would be sanctioning a spend worth £260M in a season.

Boondog

I have always appreciated power forwards, the ones who are physically tough to handle for defenders. How he fits with ten Hag and all that we will see, but I like his attitude as well. You can't have enough tough-minded players on a side so this guy would make us better. Also as the possession improves he would become more and more valuable.

One strike against him is he's a Liverpool fan though. Disgusting. If we sign him maybe send him to rehab or something for that.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
I have always appreciated power forwards, the ones who are physically tough to handle for defenders. How he fits with ten Hag and all that we will see, but I like his attitude as well. You can't have enough tough-minded players on a side so this guy would make us better. Also as the possession improves he would become more and more valuable.

One strike against him is he's a Liverpool fan though. Disgusting. If we sign him maybe send him to rehab or something for that.
So was Ole, it's not the worst trait for a United striker

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Good post.
Personally The only reason I'd lean towards Toney at this stage of our development is he would score loads. Whilst bringing out more for those around him. And would be ready now.

But long term, there is no doubt Osimhen is going to be a top 5 elite striker in this generation. Plus he is a genuine goal machine. Plus in the hands of an ETH, he can become as well rounded a forward as an Andy Cole became under Fergie.
No doubt ?

Bebestation

Osimhen is someone I don’t rate much from the little I’ve seen.

He seems like a bit of the ‘beating offside trap striker’ and he is hardly exactly killing it in the Serie A - especially when you look at how ex Pl players like Abraham are doing there.

kaku06

So was Ole. That should be least of the worries.

Last edited:

kaku06

Osimhen is someone I don’t rate much from the little I’ve seen.

He seems like a bit of the ‘beating offside trap striker’ and he is hardly exactly killing it in the Serie A - especially when you look at how ex Pl players like Abraham are doing there.
You are right in your assertion. I don’t know why he is so highly rated on here. Physical, works hard but isn’t clinical, injury prone and very average technically. I rate Abraham higher than him.

kaku06

Good post.

Wow. This one takes the cake. He isn’t a young prodigy. He is going to be 24 in few months and as things stand, he isn’t even the top 5 strikers in serie A. Lautaro, lukaku, Immobile, Abraham, Vlahovic are all better than him.

Genuine goal machine ? :lol:. The guy has never been a dependable goal scorer forget about genuine goal machine. His last four seasons in the league are 12, 13, 10, 14 in terms of goals. 26 goals out of 56 league matches for Napoli. Yeah, genuine goal machine alright.

Last edited:

kaku06

I stopped reading at Immobile :lol::lol::lol:
Of course you would. :lol: Because you have no idea who is scoring how many goals:lol:. If you think immobile is shit then what does it make of Osimhen ? Your outlandish claim of him being a genuine goal scoring machine is a blatant lie and has no legs so indeed you would refrain from not commenting on it further and look to deviate. :D

Last edited:

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
We will have placed a value on him and if anyone meets that value he will go - it is how we operate. The winter transfer window is always a sellers market but even so there’s no chance he goes for £40m or below now or in the summer. If that useless bore Southgate actually does the right thing and caps him and he continues his form we are talking £50m plus easily.

He definitely has the right attitude and self belief to succeed on the biggest stage so I wouldn’t be worried about that. Just look at his penalties and penalty record - ice in his veins.

Swedish_Plumber

I don’t think he’d be a bad signing but isn’t he another one who likes to post shite on his socials? Was he not bad mouthing Brentford not too long ago?

Do we want another player like that again? I would only be amplified by the media should he come to United.

TheReligion

Abusive
We will have placed a value on him and if anyone meets that value he will go - it is how we operate. The winter transfer window is always a sellers market but even so there’s no chance he goes for £40m or below now or in the summer. If that useless bore Southgate actually does the right thing and caps him and he continues his form we are talking £50m plus easily.

He definitely has the right attitude and self belief to succeed on the biggest stage so I wouldn’t be worried about that. Just look at his penalties and penalty record - ice in his veins.
Do you think he would suit the 9 spot at United or do you see somewhere else being a better fit?

kaku06

What his speed like ? Is he quick ? I know he’s strong and his hold up play is fantastic but have no idea how fast he is.

kaku06

Why exactly? I just want to know what’s bad with him.

Isn’t he getting like around 35 season goals?
He’s clueless. He laughs at immobile who’s literally a goal scoring machine in serie a no matter what anyone thinks of him. But Osimhen who hasn’t even scored 15 goals in the league is by his metrics a goal scoring machine.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Wow. This one takes the cake. He isn’t a young prodigy. He is going to be 24 in few months and as things stand, he isn’t even the top 5 strikers in serie A. Lautaro, lukaku, Immobile, Abraham, Vlahovic are all better than him.

Genuine goal machine ? :lol:. The guy has never been a dependable goal scorer forget about genuine goal machine. His last four seasons in the league are 12, 13, 10, 14 in terms of goals. 26 goals out of 56 league matches for Napoli. Yeah, genuine goal machine alright.
If you're actually trying to assess his goalscoring ability properly them npG/min is the correct measure, not total goals or goals per appearance. Because obviously someone who fractured his cheekbone, had covid twice and doesn't take penalties won't have had the opportunity others had to rack up the total goal tally. That doesn't change the rate at which he scores goals in open play though.

Serie A seasons by that measure, with Osimhen's best season and the seasons equal or better to it in bold.

Osimhen: 0.57, 0.64
Lukaku: 0.51, 0.56
Tammy: 0.41
Lautaro: 0.33, 0.44, 0.53, 0.71
Immobile: 0.49, 0.74, 0.35, 0.62, 0.51, 0.66,
Vlahovic: 0.30, 0.46, 0.58, 0.59

So of the 17 combined seasons I looked at from the strikers you mentioned, not counting Immobile's seasons in Serie A before his return to Lazio, only 3 saw returns at the same or better rate than the best of Osimhen's two seasons so far and only 6 saw returns at the same or better rate than his other season.

When you then take into account the fact that his returns are backed by consistently strong underlying stats (93rd and 91st percentile for NPxG) and he's still only 23 years old then @Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber's claims about his goalscoring hold water.

avgp_1

Of that list I'd take only Lautaro over him tbh. Tammy is good and there is very little between them, Tammy with better footwork and dribbling, but Osimhen with the greater physical presence, pace and power, similar link up play. Neither are elite marksmen. Vlahovic is slower and loses balance when up against a bigger defender.

Lukaku and Immobile have better goalscoring records but Osimhen brings a lot more to the table than either of them.

Having said all that I really like Toney. He is looking brilliant atm

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Why are we even discussing buying him at those prices? He’s Brentford’s best player and they probably will find it tough to stay in the league without him. We’ve just paid £84m for Antony who is not nearly as proven as Toney. I don’t imagine Toney being much cheaper than £80m.

TsuWave

Osimhen is a player people keep trying to convince me is a good one, but I just don't see it.

Toney >

mu4c_20le

Why exactly? I just want to know what’s bad with him.

Isn’t he getting like around 35 season goals?
Immobile looks like one of those strikers who would only do well in Italy, bit like Belotti. Or the guy Fergie was reportedly interested in. Nothing wrong with that, but it's probably why they aren't in demand for 100m or even 80m.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
What his speed like ? Is he quick ? I know he’s strong and his hold up play is fantastic but have no idea how fast he is.
He isn't massively quick but he is no slouch either I guess would be the best way to describe him :)

He’s clueless. He laughs at immobile who’s literally a goal scoring machine in serie a no matter what anyone thinks of him...
You clearly out of your mind if you actually believe that I laughed at Immobile yet I was actually laughing at you. You clearly haven't a clue about Serie A strikers as the entire first paragraph of your last reply showed. If you DID you'd know the numbers show his development is already ahead of Immobile's at his age, for starters......

But why should bother given the rubbish in your LAST reply to me. l'm not surprised at all that's literally the best straw man you could think up, that its Immobile I don'i rate. Rather than your opinion on the top 5 striker in the league he plays in let alone on Osimhen

If you're actually trying to assess his goalscoring ability properly them npG/min is the correct measure, not total goals or goals per appearance. Because obviously someone who fractured his cheekbone, had covid twice and doesn't take penalties won't have had the opportunity others had to rack up the total goal tally. That doesn't change the rate at which he scores goals in open play though.

Serie A seasons by that measure, with Osimhen's best season and the seasons equal or better to it in bold.

Osimhen: 0.57, 0.64
Lukaku: 0.51, 0.56
Tammy: 0.41
Lautaro: 0.33, 0.44, 0.53, 0.71
Immobile: 0.49, 0.74, 0.35, 0.62, 0.51, 0.66,
Vlahovic: 0.30, 0.46, 0.58, 0.59

So of the 17 combined seasons I looked at from the strikers you mentioned, not counting Immobile's seasons in Serie A before his return to Lazio, only 3 saw returns at the same or better rate than the best of Osimhen's two seasons so far and only 6 saw returns at the same or better rate than his other season.

When you then take into account the fact that his returns are backed by consistently strong underlying stats (93rd and 91st percentile for NPxG) and he's still only 23 years old then @Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber's claims about his goalscoring hold water.
kudos for putting that together with more efficiency and patience than I ever could

Of course you would. :lol: Because you have no idea who is scoring how many goals:lol:.
Wrong. I stopped reading at your mention of Immobile to laugh at the nonsense you had just posted. In fact I'm still laughing:lol::lol::lol::lol:

If you think immobile is shit then what does it make of Osimhen ?
I actually think Immobile a fine player. A prolific one. A term I consider higher than goal machine. I rate Osimhen too. The ONLY thing I consider shit is the rubbish you posted as a reply.

Your claim of him being a genuine goal scoring machine is a blatant lie and has no legs so indeed you would refrain from not commenting on it further and look to deviate. :D
:lol::lol: I have no desire to deviate from the fact I consider you ignorant on matters concerning Serie A strikers :lol: