Ivan Toney | Banned until 16th January 2024 Stay on Topic!

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I do like Toney, mostly for his all-round play. But it's worth being pretty wary of his goalscoring.

Of his 17 PL goals so far, 6 have been penalties. And those 11 remaining open play goals have been backed by weak underlying stats, being 30th percentile among striker in Europe's big 5 leagues for npxG last season. And last season he actually underperfomed that rather anaemic npxG, so it's not like he's suggested he's a particularly clinical finisher either.

Compare Toney's non-penalty stats per 90 last season (0.22G/0.25xG) to someone like Osimhen's over the last two in Serie A (0.64G/0.52xG and 0.57G/0.60xG) and you see a pretty stark difference in terms of open play goal threat. Even when he was having his best goalscoring season while playing for the best attack in the Championship, his per 90 open play goal rate still wasn't as good as either of those two Osimhen seasons.

And from our perspective that matters a lot, because the rest of our attack (Sancho, Antony and Bruno in particular) aren't exactly convincing open play goal threats either. We've build a side that needs a central goalscorer they can provide for.
Appreciate the stats but should also add that playing for Brentford in the pl compared to Napoli in Serie A will have an effect on those xg numbers presumably.

I like both players and would be happy with either next year.

arthurka

I thought he was brilliant last season would have thought we would look at him this summer. He can cause havoc and looks like a bit of a tool.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Appreciate the stats but should also add that playing for Brentford in the pl compared to Napoli in Serie A will have an effect on those xg numbers presumably.

I like both players and would be happy with either next year.
True but even when he was having his best goalscoring season while playing for the best attack in the Championship he was returning at a lower rate from open play than players like Jota, Scamacca, Nkunku, Osimhen, Dembele, Mertens, Ekitike, Moreno and many others managed in tougher leagues last season, let alone the obviously elite strikers.

Which isn't to say I don't like him as a player generally. But given I think our frontline needs a goal threat added rather than someone with a more rounded game, I think there are better fits for us than Toney.

Mike Smalling

Should he get a spot for the World Cup if his form continues? He's comfortably ahead of the likes of Bamford, Watkins and Calvert-Lewin, so I guess it would likely be between him and Abraham as a back-up to Kane.

He reminds me a bit of Drogba in the way the strikes the ball (like his free-kick vs. Leeds), and he has a similar physique as well - very strong, but still lean and athletic.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
True but even when he was having his best goalscoring season while playing for the best attack in the Championship he was returning at a lower rate from open play than players like Jota, Scamacca, Nkunku, Osimhen, Dembele, Mertens, Ekitike, Moreno and many others managed in tougher leagues last season, let alone the obviously elite strikers.

Which isn't to say I don't like him as a player generally. But given I think our frontline needs a goal threat added rather than someone with a more rounded game, I think there are better fits for us than Toney.
I actually think the opposite in terms of needing a goal threat. I think we take the all round better footballer and he will score while playing up top with Antony, Sancho etc Also seems like a fighter which I would love in a center forward. Imagine a front three of Antony, Toney and Rashford. All different threats and would give defenders a huge headache.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Should he get a spot for the World Cup if his form continues? He's comfortably ahead of the likes of Bamford, Watkins and Calvert-Lewin, so I guess it would likely be between him and Abraham as a back-up to Kane.

He reminds me a bit of Drogba in the way the strikes the ball (like his free-kick vs. Leeds), and he has a similar physique as well - very strong, but still lean and athletic.
I think it depends on what DCL does when he gets back from injury, the form of Rashford and the form of Tammy. We know Southgate likes consistency in his squads. I think he will get a chance though in the next international break.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think it depends on what DCL does when he gets back from injury, the form of Rashford and the form of Tammy. We know Southgate likes consistency in his squads. I think he will get a chance though in the next international break.
Unless Tammy has a stinker between now and the WC, he's as good as on the plane I think. I don't think DCL will do enough, or have enough time to. Toney is an interesting one to follow. Did we take 3 strikers to the euros? It was Kane, DCL and a bunch of wide forwards wasn't it?

NewYorkRed

Very good player, think he’d struggle at a big club though. If we’re going after a striker next summer, its got to be Leao from Milan. Kid is the real deal. Can play on the wing too but I feel like he is best as a forward and would fit in really well with they way ETH wants to seemingly play.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Unless Tammy has a stinker between now and the WC, he's as good as on the plane I think. I don't think DCL will do enough, or have enough time to. Toney is an interesting one to follow. Did we take 3 strikers to the euros? It was Kane, DCL and a bunch of wide forwards wasn't it?
I hope not too but I think he will have 10 games or so to show if he's ready and if he gets 5+ goals with good performances I think he has a decent chance of making it just because he's been around the squad before.

Yep, DCL and Kane were the only out and out strikers.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Peterborough are my second team so watched him a lot during his time there. I’d love this to happen, fantastic player.

eselfor

Yes please. ETH loves a mobile target man. Toney is a good fit for us.

Tarrou

We must get him before Chelsea.
Yeah I think this too. We'll both be after him and it's us or them.

Nobody outside of the PL will pay what it takes. And City, Arsenal and Liverpool don't need a striker.

SambaBoy

Him or Osimhen should be the two targets. Osimhen is the better player and has more potential but his availability isn't great.

Baxquux

Does he have a release clause? I know there's always a calculation/trade-off with negotiating these contracts whereby release clause is inserted on condition that the player takes lower basic wage, but if you're a player confident enough in their own ability at a club with a ceiling (barring Leicester style miracle/synchronicity of elements), I'd be pushing for a 45-50m clause for a club either currently in the Champions League at time of enquiry or amongst the recent-historical Big-4, at the cost of 10-15k less a week for 1 season...

For whatever reason Premier League players (and their agents) seem to push for this less frequently, although there are obvious exceptions (I think Kante specifically had one, hence the fairly low sale price immediately following LC's PL win)

TsuWave

Him or Osimhen should be the two targets. Osimhen is the better player and has more potential but his availability isn't great.
Really not convinced that Osimhen is the better player. Sure he has bundles of energy, but he’s really not that great on the ball.

I’d rather Toney

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Really not convinced that Osimhen is the better player. Sure he has bundles of energy, but he’s really not that great on the ball.

I’d rather Toney
Nah, Osimhen has much higher potential. If one of them is going to turn out to be a legitimately elite striker it's him. Unfortunately he comes with a price-tag to match. But it moreso depends on what we want our CF's role to be, really.

If we want our CF to be a mobile target man with good hold up play, good link up play and the ability to get on the ball and bring others into the game well then someone like Toney fits. But at the cost of substantially less direct goal threat.

If we want our CF to be a fast, physical, hard-working goal-threat who acts as a focal point for others to create for then someone like Osimhen fits. But you can't expect him to be dropping deep and bringing others into play.

As much as the quality of the player, it's about what fits the team best. Personally I think with the likes of Antony, Sancho, Eriksen and Bruno in the side our team in particular is missing that central, defence-harrying goalscorer they can create for more than a Toney-style player who would be better at bringing them into play. But opinions may differ and in reality they'd both improve us quite a lot.